Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Strumms wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get told the name 'republic of ireland' isnt inclusive enough anymore and we can or should change the name of OUR country...to Whateverville...

We can update the constitution to ensure every second president and taoiseach is and must be of a different ethnicity or 'new irish'.... aka give our country away .
    Jesus lads. What has this last few pages of squabbling about the name of the country got to do with multiculturalism?
    Because apparently multiculturalism is going to force the nation to change its name.
    Despite the fact that ROI is not the name and that we cant just "update the constitution" at anyone's behest.
    If a referendum is declared and the will of the citizens is to change the name so be it but it will not be changed by the bogeyman called multiculturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Because apparently multiculturalism is going to force the nation to change its name.
    Despite the fact that ROI is not the name and that we cant just "update the constitution" at anyone's behest.
    If a referendum is declared and the will of the citizens is to change the name so be it but it will not be changed by the bogeyman called multiculturalism.

To be fair, no one linked multiculturalism to the official name of Ireland and the official name of Ireland has been a source of confusion for years. In fact, this issue was raised in the Supreme Court before. It is ust a very unimportant issue, so people tend not to notice it.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-british-studies/article/irish-free-stateeirerepublic-of-irelandireland-a-country-by-any-other-name/2C0024B54AB398985B3F2189BAA0A5BA

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/a-republic-in-name-but-constitutional-conundrums-remain-1.170815
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/why-sinn-f%C3%A9in-will-not-call-the-state-by-its-name-1.4182195

To be fair, no one linked multiculturalism to the official name of Ireland and the official name of Ireland has been a source of confusion for years. In fact, this issue was raised in the Supreme Court before. It is ust a very unimportant issue, so people tend not to notice it.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-british-studies/article/irish-free-stateeirerepublic-of-irelandireland-a-country-by-any-other-name/2C0024B54AB398985B3F2189BAA0A5BA

Sorry Yellow fern we are in a thread about multiculturalism in Ireland I quoted a post by a user who said we would be forced to change our name. Are you saying that poster strumms was not referring to multiculturalism when he stated we(the state of Ireland) would be forced to change our name?

Your link is from an english perspective and mentions nothing about the supreme court either Irish or english

What issue was raised in the supreme court? (state the case name and I will do my own research)

There is no justifiable legal argument about the name of Ireland unless you want to state that article 4 of the Irish constitution is itself unconstitutional. So unless you are making that claim then, there is no legal basis for your claim the Éire or Ireland are not the respective names of this state in the Irish and English languages.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/a-republic-in-name-but-constitutional-conundrums-remain-1.170815
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/why-sinn-f%C3%A9in-will-not-call-the-state-by-its-name-1.4182195

Can you please read your own sources!

one of your links says this at the start.
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland,” declares Article 4 of the Irish Constitution though not for Sinn Féin for which Ireland is the politically divided island and not the State.

Neither will the party use the Republic of Ireland, or the Republic for short. This is, according to the 1948 Republic of Ireland Act, the description of the State though not its name.

None of your links dispute the fact that i have reiterated several times now. That the constitution sets the name of the state as Ireland or Éire and the ROI moniker is not the name of the state. Nothing in any of your links disputes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Either way, we need to be of the ability here in this country, to assist when we can, when we decide we can and not decided by a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels or elsewhere. The key to the door should be in the possession of Irish people. It’s our home.. NONE of us agreed to this.

If your mates up the road came to your place, with a key you’d given them for emergencies ... opened your door and called out... “ this is Thomas and Anna, they’ll be staying here, indefinitely, you need to give them xx amount of money a week, they pay zero rent, pretty much zero anything, anytime... this will continue thanks”.

Sounds preposterous... it’s happening.

• Advertisement

Either way, we need to be of the ability here in this country, to assist when we can, when we decide we can and not decided by a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels or elsewhere. The key to the door should be in the possession of Irish people. It’s our home.. NONE of us agreed to this.

If your mates up the road came to your place, with a key you’d given them for emergencies ... opened your door and called out... “ this is Thomas and Anna, they’ll be staying here, indefinitely, you need to give them xx amount of money a week, they pay zero rent, pretty much zero anything, anytime... this will continue thanks”.

Sounds preposterous... it’s happening.

To quote the violent femmes
    He's tellin'
    Lies, lies, lies, lies
    Lies, lies, lies, lies
    Lies, lies, lies, lies
    Lies, lies, lies

That's simply not true we are not forced by the EU to take migrants,
    Ireland’s role
    Ireland currently has no European Union obligation to take in refugees as it negotiated an opt-in or opt-out clause on justice and immigration measures when the Lisbon Treaty was drafted.

However, Ireland has voluntarily participated in EU relocation and resettlement schemes and established the Irish Refugee Protection Programme(link is external) (IRPP) as part of its response to the 2015-16 migrant crisis.

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/key-eu-policy-areas/migration_en#:~:text=Ireland's%20role,the%20Lisbon%20Treaty%20was%20drafted.

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/key-eu-policy-areas/migration_en#:~:text=Ireland's%20role,the%20Lisbon%20Treaty%20was%20drafted.

Legally no, politically we certainly are.

Legally no, politically we certainly are.

So we are not forced to then so your previous post is incorrect or lies.
    The Irish government can choose to opt in to such arrangements but we are not obligated to.

We are forced indeed, Articles 79 and 80 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) will be your friend... are hands not tied but our arm is certainly twisted. Forced in my mind.

We are forced indeed, Articles 79 and 80 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) will be your friend... are hands not tied but our arm is certainly twisted. Forced in my mind.

No that is incorrect as I have already said we have an opt out clause and in fact I have provided a link with the relevant information already and to make it even easier for you I quoted the relevant section of the link.

So, what impact does the Lisbon treaty have on the state of Irelands obligation under articles 79 and 80?

• Advertisement

Rumpole and Frobisher (QCs) in form here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see Hazel chu is thanking gardai for dealing with some racists who harassed her

A few weeks ago she was openly accusing the gardai of being racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I see Hazel chu is thanking gardai for dealing with some racists who harassed her

A few weeks ago she was openly accusing the gardai of being racist

Her blatant use of identity politics is disgraceful. I have no sympathy for that woman at all. Between doing this, labeling male school teachers Carlow as sexual offenders, attending and encouraging others to attend a mass gathering of thousands during a Covid lockdown? Like everyone in the Green party, she's an incompetent tool.

The news has no problem in sensationalizing this using the likes of "far-right" for a non-existent entity but the same treatment is not afforded to the mob of black people running around Blanchardstown, including videos of them attacking white people and vile racism directed at white people having to be l locked in a shop. Nothing. They're trying to portray it as the Night of Broken Glass. Pathetic

Imagine a Lord Mayor thinking the Gardai and GSOC are racist and then calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No that is incorrect as I have already said we have an opt out clause and in fact I have provided a link with the relevant information already and to make it even easier for you I quoted the relevant section of the link.

So, what impact does the Lisbon treaty have on the state of Irelands obligation under articles 79 and 80?

I agree with you that it's not the case that the EU forces Ireland to take on mass migration. The immigration policy of any member state of the EU is entirely set by the member state. The EU has no remit. This is why I feel Brexit was the wrong answer to the right question. English people were discontented by the effects of mass migration upon their nation. Their anger was misdirected upon the EU, when the actual culprit was and is the London government. If Brexit has any positive outcome it will be that people learn the EU is a tool, not an actor. What matters is who wields it and for what purpose.

But equally, you should acknowledge that Ireland - whilst entirely in control of of its immigration policy in theory - is a small member state of the EU and is influenced by the requirement to be seen as a good member of the EU. Theoretically Ireland could adopt policies against open borders. Theoretically Ireland could have burnt the bondholders of Irish banks back in 2010. Theoretically.

But decisions carry consequences. If we were to look back to the discussions in 2010 around the bank bailout the common refrain was TINA. There Is No Alternative. The bailout was the only sensible option, as the consequences for doing otherwise was so dire. Look at how Poland and Hungary are treated by the EU - almost as pariah states akin to North Korea - for very tame refusals to share the burden of German mistakes. Does a tiny open economy like Ireland truly have an alternative to the EU line when much larger countries like Poland and Hungary can be openly threatened for non-compliance?

The question is why is the EU line against the interests of the European peoples of its member states? In no country is mass migration a popular cause. Why isnt the EU supporting and protecting European nations against globalism, which was its original purpose?

Sand wrote: »
    But decisions carry consequences. If we were to look back to the discussions in 2010 around the bank bailout the common refrain was TINA. There Is No Alternative. The bailout was the only sensible option, as the consequences for doing otherwise was so dire. Look at how Poland and Hungary are treated by the EU - almost as pariah states akin to North Korea - for very tame refusals to share the burden of German mistakes. Does a tiny open economy like Ireland truly have an alternative to the EU line when much larger countries like Poland and Hungary can be openly threatened for non-compliance?

I'd say Ireland is in a better position to resist the part line... if they had the interest to do so. Ireland wields a lot of influence across Europe due to its economic success, and diplomatic relations which are pretty widespread.

However, there is zero will to do so. Irish politicians are more interested in pandering for <empty> praise than seeking to make a stand on just about anything important.
    The question is why is the EU line against the interests of the European peoples of its member states? In no country is mass migration a popular cause. Why isnt the EU supporting and protecting European nations against globalism, which was its original purpose?

The EU is a bureaucracy. A very heavy handed bureaucracy not built to streamline decision making. Simply put, it takes forever for anything to get approved, because everything needs to be talked about through various committees. I expect we'll see a somewhat more anti-immigration policy by the EU within the next two years... now that both Germany and France have come out against it.. along with various "minor" nations.

The EU is a marvel in how it's managed to collect such a bureaucracy in such a short period of time. Simply put, icebergs move faster than they do. Hell, they make the UN look like a spring chicken.

Anyway... Western politics isn't about "the people". Regardless of all the press about democracy, the "people" have extremely little influence in government, and the EU reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Oh I don’t know that I’d feel like Hungary and Poland are put upon, not at all. The way I see it, they are doing just fine. Certainly not pariahs, or anything like that. They are effectively setting their own immigration policies (as they, and everyone else, should) and rubbing nicely along within the EU at the same time. Sure, every once and again they are talked to sternly by the big boys and girls of the club, with a threat of financial consequences unless they toe the line, but the truth of it once you get to the nitty gritty of what actually goes down, is that it is all rather toothless and tame, “in the spirit of co-operation”, blah blah blah. And the upshot is that Orban and Morawiecki carry on doing exactly as they please. Sticks and stones and all that. The fact is that once you’re in the club, and have somewhat of a certain presence within it, such as having a sub-society (V4) of a few similarly minded members, you’ll be doing very well for yourself, even when you’re a bit of a thorn in some people ‘s (back)side, which they are. Remember, Germany needs all of these in the club as much as the other way around. Politically, there isn’t a huge amount of leverage here. It would have been used long ago, to a much stronger effect, otherwise.

These guys have a whole, proud history of resistance to oppression, suppression and depression to draw on in the unfortunate, fairly recent, pasts of their countries; these are some of the mentalities that are more than well able to deal handily with the likes of, dunno, Van der Leyen, Michel, or Macron. Let’s just say, I wouldn’t go feeling too sorry for them!

If you are a saddo like me, who watches the EU Council Roundtable YouTube clips for fun (it’s my version of getting a celeb gossip/soap opera fix :D), you will notice that the dynamics in the room are always very cordial. Orban or Morawiecki are both as adept as minglers as anyone, and as far from being sidelined or frozen out, as anyone else in the room.

If you’re interested, here is a clip of some of the Eastern European leaders participating in a public interview conducted by Nik Gowing, regarding the thorny issues between themselves and the, shall we say, wider political context of the moment (at Bled Strategic Forum 2020). Gowing is an expert in the art of provocative political interview, but he gets cut down to size and no mistake. Starts at around 10 mins in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fChQaUmJnsg&t=569s

I think your last paragraph encapsulates the crux of the matter we keep discussing here. A million dollar question, eh.
    ETA: my post is in reply to Sand’s one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

seenitall wrote: »
    Oh I don’t know that I’d feel like Hungary and Poland are put upon, not at all. The way I see it, they are doing just fine. Certainly not pariahs, or anything like that. They are effectively setting their own immigration policies (as they, and everyone else, should) and rubbing nicely along within the EU at the same time. Sure, every once and again they are talked to sternly by the big boys and girls of the club, with a threat of financial consequences unless they toe the line, but the truth of it once you get to the nitty gritty of what actually goes down, is that it is all rather toothless and tame, “in the spirit of co-operation”, blah blah blah. And the upshot is that Orban and Morawiecki carry on doing exactly as they please. Sticks and stones and all that. The fact is that once you’re in the club, and have somewhat of a certain presence within it, such as having a sub-society (V4) of a few similarly minded members, you’ll be doing very well for yourself, even when you’re a bit of a thorn in some people ‘s (back)side, which they are. Remember, Germany needs all of these in the club as much as the other way around. Politically, there isn’t a huge amount of leverage here. It would have been used long ago, to a much stronger effect, otherwise.

These guys have a whole, proud history of resistance to oppression, suppression and depression to draw on in the unfortunate, fairly recent, pasts of their countries; these are some of the mentalities that are more than well able to deal handily with the likes of, dunno, Van der Leyen, Michel, or Macron. Let’s just say, I wouldn’t go feeling too sorry for them!

If you are a saddo like me, who watches the EU Council Roundtable YouTube clips for fun (it’s my version of getting a celeb gossip/soap opera fix :D), you will notice that the dynamics in the room are always very cordial. Orban or Morawiecki are both as adept as minglers as anyone, and as far from being sidelined or frozen out, as anyone else in the room.

If you’re interested, here is a clip of some of the Eastern European leaders participating in a public interview conducted by Nik Gowing, regarding the thorny issues between themselves and the, shall we say, wider political context of the moment (at Bled Strategic Forum 2020). Gowing is an expert in the art of provocative political interview, but he gets cut down to size and no mistake. Starts at around 10 mins in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fChQaUmJnsg&t=569s

I think your last paragraph encapsulates the crux of the matter we keep discussing here. A million dollar question, eh.
    ETA: my post is in reply to Sand’s one.

Yeah, pariahs might be a bit strong but it is true that there was open discussion about linking EU funds to both countries with compliance with EU demands for sharing the burden of Merkel's children. Poland and Hungary can defeat these attempts because they can each veto attempts to penalize the other. But Ireland has no such partner that it can reliably trust to have it's back. So it freely complies because the alternative is unthinkable.

Yes, I’m aware of it and alluded to it as the threats of financial consequences in my post. The most recent such threat effectively came to naught, as all their threats do. They know that Orban is well able for them and that they will lose at the game of chicken every time. I don’t know why they still bother.

And yes, there is a formidable strength in mutual support and numbers (Visegrad4) that Ireland sees itself as bereft of. But, does it really need to be that way? I think Ireland could benefit its own interest so much more by linking up with some of the smaller countries regarding the mutual strategic concerns etc. Strength in numbers, just so.

Alas, a few problems crop up.

Firstly, one thing this course of action probably wouldn’t benefit so much are the prospects of the important Brussels seats for some people who shall remain unnamed... so it’s playing politics over the national strategy, if you want to be cynical.

However, more importantly than that, I think the public discourse on these matters sadly doesn’t play a big role in this nation’s consciousness at all. The social and cultural momentum is unfortunately all wrong to what it should be - more American- than Euro- oriented, and the price for this wrongheadedness could prove rather steep in years to come.

(Also, I love Ireland, but I feel its politics, talking in very general terms, are very parochial and, for want of a better word, short sighted. They do, quite unnecessarily, reflect its peripheral geographical position at the edge of Europe rather well, and that’s kind of sad. Ireland should have more self-confidence within the EU and be more ready to throw itself into the cut and thrust of things. This would be beneficial to both it and the EU.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yeah, pariahs might be a bit strong but it is true that there was open discussion about linking EU funds to both countries with compliance with EU demands for sharing the burden of Merkel's children. Poland and Hungary can defeat these attempts because they can each veto attempts to penalize the other. But Ireland has no such partner that it can reliably trust to have it's back. So it freely complies because the alternative is unthinkable.

The discussion was about corruption, democracy, rule of law, independence of justice and certain slips towards autocracy, the latter one especially in Hungary. Nothing to do with illegal migrants and asylum seekers, who won't go there anyway.

Cordell wrote: »
    The discussion was about corruption, democracy, rule of law, independence of justice and certain slips towards autocracy, the latter one especially in Hungary. Nothing to do with illegal migrants and asylum seekers, who won't go there anyway.

That was this last time. There was also a time when the issue was around refusing to host the migrants. Different issues, same principles, same outcomes.

• Advertisement

I had the misfortune of hearing that ebun woman on newstalk today, my goodness she will cause trouble. Such a divisive attitude. She will do nothing but harm for race relations in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I had the misfortune of hearing that ebun woman on newstalk today, my goodness she will cause trouble. Such a divisive attitude. She will do nothing but harm for race relations in this country.

She would do no harm if she was not provided the platform to spew her hatred/racism at the whole Irish nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The EU despises native nationalism within the individual countries of Europe as it stands as the greatest obstacle to federalisation.

The most effective means to neutralise this nationalism is to reduce and demoralise European nations in their own homelands. Mass immigration is a potent tool to achieve this aim as it can be (and is) defended and justified through emotive arguments, social taboo and, increasingly, oppressive law even if the self-evident reality on the ground is that it harms the native society.

It has the happy side effect of swelling both European cheap labour pools and markets. Hence, corporations eagerly throw their mammoth weight behind the calculated plantation.

Our politicians are careerists first and national leaders a distant second (if they are at all). Thus, they will implement every program advanced by the EU even if said program harms the Irish nation. To almost a man and woman they have aspirations to play in the bigger league that European politics represents after their time in domestic politics is done. Total obedience while in domestic office blazes the trail toward a lucrative next career phase in Brussels.

Our homeland is being planted again, just as it was sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, for the achievement of a political aim. This will result in blood. The first stirrings we have seen in Carraigaline, Balbriggan, Blanchardstown and Clonee.

We can simply look to France, England and Sweden to see the strife that invariably follows at the more advanced stages of multiculturalism, these waters are not uncharted.

I dearly hope that I am wrong and that things will work out alright. As it is, I believe we are heading toward a society that is divided, violent, tense and unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Her blatant use of identity politics is disgraceful. I have no sympathy for that woman at all. Between doing this, labeling male school teachers Carlow as sexual offenders, attending and encouraging others to attend a mass gathering of thousands during a Covid lockdown? Like everyone in the Green party, she's an incompetent tool.

The news has no problem in sensationalizing this using the likes of "far-right" for a non-existent entity but the same treatment is not afforded to the mob of black people running around Blanchardstown, including videos of them attacking white people and vile racism directed at white people having to be l locked in a shop. Nothing. They're trying to portray it as the Night of Broken Glass. Pathetic

Imagine a Lord Mayor thinking the Gardai and GSOC are racist and then calling them.

The " far right " bogeyman is a tremendous potential area of opportunity for NGO and other hustlers out to earn a living doing nothing

They can be guaranteed oceans of media exposure too

seenitall wrote: »
    That was this last time. There was also a time when the issue was around refusing to host the migrants. Different issues, same principles, same outcomes.

When the issue was about sharing the burden of illegal migrants the sanctions they faced were insignificant, if any.
    The real problem EU have with these two is about democracy and rule of law, also they back each other up and no real sanction can be applied because serious sanctions require unanimity when voted. This effectively creates a rogue group within EU and this is a very serious problem.

Furthermore, I have a problem with blaming EU for the non EU migration and all the problems it brings, because when you blame the EU the ones that are actually to blame won't be held responsible, and some may even use this to defend themselves - saying thins like we can't secure our borders and deport immigrants because EU doesn't allow us. Immigration policy and enforcement is something that each individual country is responsible for, an not the EU. There is no EU border control corps and no EU immigration police.

DeadHand wrote: »
    The EU despises native nationalism within the individual countries of Europe as it stands as the greatest obstacle to federalisation.

No, it doesn't. Or, more accurately, the left wing politicians that were voted in by the people do. If this needs to change people need to vote politicians that have different views.
    This whole EU vs us narrative is wrong, we all are the EU, it's a partnership, not an impersonal ruling office.

Except they do.

"In 2017, Poland granted residency to 683,000 foreigners, according to Eurostat – one-fifth of all such permits issued across all the EU-28 member states and by far the biggest number for a single country. Eighty-seven per cent of those visas were for work. In addition, according to the OECD International Migration Outlook 2019, Poland has welcomed a record number of migrants in recent years: in 2017, with 1.1 million registered migrant workers, Poland was the world’s top destination for temporary migration, ahead of the United States."

Whereas Hungary was simply in the path of migration patterns, on their way to other countries.

I was talking about illegal migrants and asylum seekers.
    Also proves my point that it's not the EU making the rules.

I was talking about illegal migrants and asylum seekers.
    Also proves my point that it's not the EU making the rules.

Are you really going to deny the degree of influence that the EU has over member states?

Anyway.. it's the UN making the rules by determining the rights of migrants/refugees, and providing plenty of space for the legal representatives of NGOs to appeal just about any decision regarding a migrant application.

Genuine Asylum applications are generally very small. There's been too much widening the scope of what is considered Asylum, vs a "refugee". In the media, and within mainstream society.

• Advertisement

Except they do.

"In 2017, Poland granted residency to 683,000 foreigners, according to Eurostat – one-fifth of all such permits issued across all the EU-28 member states and by far the biggest number for a single country. Eighty-seven per cent of those visas were for work. In addition, according to the OECD International Migration Outlook 2019, Poland has welcomed a record number of migrants in recent years: in 2017, with 1.1 million registered migrant workers, Poland was the world’s top destination for temporary migration, ahead of the United States."

Mainly from Ukraine and Belarus, with a some from India and Bangladesh. Not too many from middle east or Africa.

Advertisement