Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Sangre wrote: »
    Some refs were very slow to give a card AND a penalty try. Thankfully that has changed.
    Now penalty try cant be awarded without a yellow also being given and its written in the Laws that yellow must be given

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We still have the situation where a team concedes multiple penalties in the 22, gets the warning that next pen should be a yellow, makes a penalty offence that results in advantage - opposing team score from the advantage but a yellow is never given

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thats the most important part. He should get yellow carded at kick off. Every game.

Like my father in law says "every time you see that lad you need to give him a boot in the hole cause he's after coming from trouble or heading to it".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Australia are suggesting having a mini WC down there in the summer. Without giving any thought to the logistics I quite like the idea. It would give the game a financial boost. Obviously it would need the Lions tour to be cancelled (almost inevitable).

bilston wrote: »
    Australia are suggesting having a mini WC down there in the summer. Without giving any thought to the logistics I quite like the idea. It would give the game a financial boost. Obviously it would need the Lions tour to be cancelled (almost inevitable).

Would be nice if they included some of the pacific island nations on top of the big european sides etc. Not likely though.
    If they can get crowds in as well pacific islanders would help even more with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

bilston wrote: »

I mentioned it this morning on here :D
    But yeah...it's a definite winner in my book...lions tour is dead in the water..a tournament in a bubble in Australia would be a winner...8 teams into groups of 4.. 2 qualifiers from each group... Aus.. SA.. England, Ireland, Wales, France, Scotland and maybe Fiji (covid allowing) would be a nice summer surprise...and could be a pointer to a biannual tourney?

Japanese rugby announced a 3 tier pro league starting in Jan 2022.
    You could see quite an exodus of players from these shores if contract talks and offers aren't forthcoming

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Japanese rugby announced a 3 tier pro league starting in Jan 2022.
    You could see quite an exodus of players from these shores if contract talks and offers aren't forthcoming

That's highly unlikely as the Top League will be reduced from 16 to 12 and the lower leagues will only have 7 and 6 teams in them. A lot of those teams will be amateur.

That's highly unlikely as the Top League will be reduced from 16 to 12 and the lower leagues will only have 7 and 6 teams in them. A lot of those teams will be amateur.

It's going to be a pro league, the major stipulation at the start was that all teams had to have ground capacity of 15k..not something a truly amateur side would commit to....
    The numbers have changed though..it was supposed to be 2 divisions, now it's 3 ..it's only logical to think that any player looking for a contract would definitely consider this option

It's going to be a pro league, the major stipulation at the start was that all teams had to have ground capacity of 15k..not something a truly amateur side would commit to....
    The numbers have changed though..it was supposed to be 2 divisions, now it's 3 ..it's only logical to think that any player looking for a contract would definitely consider this option

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/01/15/rugby/new-japan-rugby-league-format/#:~:text=All%20current%20Top%20and%20Top,other%20conference%20during%20the%20season.
    The second and third divisions will have seven and six teams, respectively. There will be promotion/relegation playoffs between the divisions.

The league will be a mix of professional, corporate and amateur teams.
    Most of the players in the current corporate teams are employees of the companies who own the teams. There are very few actual professionals. This new league is designed to improve Japanese rugby, not pay overseas players massive wages.

The teams are also required to be self sufficient, so I doubt the massive money will still be there for overseas players anyway.

• Advertisement

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/01/15/rugby/new-japan-rugby-league-format/#:~:text=All%20current%20Top%20and%20Top,other%20conference%20during%20the%20season.

Most of the players in the current corporate teams are employees of the companies who own the teams. There are very few actual professionals. This new league is designed to improve Japanese rugby, not pay overseas players massive wages.

The teams are also required to be self sufficient, so I doubt the massive money will still be there for overseas players anyway.

I agree that massive money may not be available, that's why I'm thinking it would be appealing to Irish players...2-3 years abroad, a decent contract....we all know that contract offers have slowed here and there will be many players looking for financial security going forward.
    Japanese clubs will look to bring in foreign players no doubt at all about that...and it's a buyers market these times ...they likes of JJ.. Sweetnam maybe guys like Hayley.. Cronin. contracts coming to an end.... won't be getting increases on current deals... their agents will be looking at all markets that are currently opening you, they'd be negligent if not.
    I just think it's something to keep an eye on and maybe a few players will be getting onto Paddy Butler over the next few months.

I agree that massive money may not be available, that's why I'm thinking it would be appealing to Irish players...2-3 years abroad, a decent contract....we all know that contract offers have slowed here and there will be many players looking for financial security going forward.
    Japanese clubs will look to bring in foreign players no doubt at all about that...and it's a buyers market these times ...they likes of JJ.. Sweetnam maybe guys like Hayley.. Cronin. contracts coming to an end.... won't be getting increases on current deals... their agents will be looking at all markets that are currently opening you, they'd be negligent if not.
    I just think it's something to keep an eye on and maybe a few players will be getting onto Paddy Butler over the next few months.
    Or more than likely those players will simply re-sign with Munster, on the those lower terms, or go to England or France rather than up rooting and moving to the other side of the planet for not much more money.

Or more than likely those players will simply re-sign with Munster, on the those lower terms, or go to England or France rather than up rooting and moving to the other side of the planet for not much more money.

There's an article in the Irish times today saying that contracts have been offered and quite a few Munster players not happy...it also mentions English club offers not being great ...reduced 1 year deals aren't what pro players want...I dunno tbh...I'm just looking at all angles...I think we'll see a few players heading away imo

There's an article in the Irish times today saying that contracts have been offered and quite a few Munster players not happy...it also mentions English club offers not being great ...reduced 1 year deals aren't what pro players want...I dunno tbh...I'm just looking at all angles...I think we'll see a few players heading away imo
    We're guaranteed to see players leaving, but it's highly unlikely to be Japan. Players may well be unhappy, but they're going to find out very quickly that after the last 10 months, the offers aren't going to be much better abroad.

We're guaranteed to see players leaving, but it's highly unlikely to be Japan. Players may well be unhappy, but they're going to find out very quickly that after the last 10 months, the offers aren't going to be much better abroad.

Players are going to leave... English market is poor ...it's only logical that new and emerging markets would be attractive to players,

Players are going to leave... English market is poor ...it's only logical that new and emerging markets would be attractive to players,
    Your mistake is assuming that an emerging market will be able to pay more than anyone else. Especially for non international players.

The whole world is affected by the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Your mistake is assuming that an emerging market will be able to pay more than anyone else. Especially for non international players.

The whole world is affected by the virus.

We know the irfu and provinces are cutting wages and contract lengths ...this has been made known.
    We have no idea what the Japanese league will do... independent owners...large corporate sponsors who have consistently footed the bill.
    A chance to bring in better players to improve what they already have...and to put bums on seats... im not saying it's definite... but it's something that only a fool would discount out of hand.
    It'll be interesting to see...there will be a few players leaving Irish sides...and they want to continue playing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Clegg wrote: »

Great day for the parish no team better deserving of a loss 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Saracens didn't get promoted back to the Prem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

There are plenty of positives to Japan. Competitive salaries with any league (for top players), less games in the season, less physical games, chance to experience a vastly different culture. Plenty of internationals from across the world have chosen to play in Japan. Also, because the clubs are all affiliated with big Japanese companies, it's likely they won't be hit as hard as other clubs. Nice place for a sabbatical or retirement.

hahashake wrote: »
    There are plenty of positives to Japan. Competitive salaries with any league (for top players), less games in the season, less physical games, chance to experience a vastly different culture. Plenty of internationals from across the world have chosen to play in Japan. Also, because the clubs are all affiliated with big Japanese companies, it's likely they won't be hit as hard as other clubs. Nice place for a sabbatical or retirement.
    Did you read the article? 12 teams in 2 conferences. Same format as the Pro14, plus the possibility of a local international competition. So not less games.

And the teams in the new league have to be self sufficient, so big salaries for overseas players are unlikely to be a thing anymore.

Plus the conversation was about the non internationals who may leave, so we're not talking about top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Did you read the article? 12 teams in 2 conferences. Same format as the Pro14, plus the possibility of a local international competition. So not less games.

And the teams in the new league have to be self sufficient, so big salaries for overseas players are unlikely to be a thing anymore.

Plus the conversation was about the non internationals who may leave, so we're not talking about top players.

Top14 plus European games is more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »

Two irishmen in the Ealing starting 15, David Johnston (Bill's brother) and Angus Kernohan who scored the first try. Glorious stuff.

Two irishmen in the Ealing starting 15, David Johnston (Bill's brother) and Angus Kernohan who scored the first try. Glorious stuff.

There's a few other irish guys in the ealing set up as well. Not as many as used to be in senior squad but there is few Munster born guys who moved over to join academy. Ciaran Roberts from Bandon. Niall Hardiman Limerick

Dont think either were ever really on Munsters radar...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

aloooof wrote: »

He's taken it well.
    He's asked ScotRail where he can make an official complaint.

https://twitter.com/nicgroom/status/1350892184569053184?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

France are so concerned about Covid that all pan European games were cancelled for two weeks. Fair enough I understand. Stop international transmission. And yet......

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1351192786184368134?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

And it was in Portugal which many countries have travel restrictions with due to the high level of trade and travel with Brazil.

Mind numbingly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Zzippy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Saracens didn't get promoted back to the Prem!

Why? They have invested heavily and played outstanding rugby over the last decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement