Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Zack Mercer leaving Bath for Montpellier.
    I think he’s a great player, pretty obvious he won’t dislodge Billy V in Eddie’s plans so why wouldn’t he move?

I wonder will it affect any other players in a similar boat like Dombrandt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Birrs Jack Regan, ex Ulster Academy, has signed training contract with Highlanders.

Hope that works out for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Birrs Jack Regan, ex Ulster Academy, has signed training contract with Highlanders.

Hope that works out for him.

He had a few decent run outs for otago in the mitre 10 last year.

Great to have a fellow offaly man in a highlanders shirt!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He had a few decent run outs for otago in the mitre 10 last year.

Great to have a fellow offaly man in a highlanders shirt!!

You're a BIFFO?!! That... explains a lot. :p

Zzippy wrote: »
    You're a BIFFO?!! That... explains a lot. :p

and proud !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Liam Williams: Scarlets wing suspended for Six Nations opener against Ireland
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55606524

"The judicial officer determined that there were factors, including the player's remorse, which warranted mitigation of one week.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There really is some clown stuff with these mitigations.

His conduct to the referee after the incident was "clear and obvious".

There should have been no mitigation, and he should have had 2 weeks added on for the disrespect to the referee.

and proud !! :D

Some of my favourite hurlers of all time came from Offaly. Great county. Although the one time I played a school match there I broke 4 hurls in the game :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The authorities are fairly consistent with it. There's mitigation at every level for nearly all kinds of offences and players with all kind of records getting punishment reduced.
    Possibly should change but when discipline committees are consistent then its not the worst.

Some of my favourite hurlers of all time came from Offaly. Great county. Although the one time I played a school match there I broke 4 hurls in the game :rolleyes:

that '94 team... possibly the most talented team to win an all ireland.

The authorities are fairly consistent with it. There's mitigation at every level for nearly all kinds of offences and players with all kind of records getting punishment reduced.
    Possibly should change but when discipline committees are consistent then its not the worst.

As a referee would you be happy that a player who disrespected you after being dismissed had his suspension reduced? Does it not send a clear message that this kind of disrespect is ok? Also, in the same week, Kyle Sinckler was cited for swearing at the referee, so it is clearly not a consistent approach.

As a referee would you be happy that a player who disrespected you after being dismissed had his suspension reduced? Does it not send a clear message that this kind of disrespect is ok? Also, in the same week, Kyle Sinckler was cited for swearing at the referee, so it is clearly not a consistent approach.

Nearly all punishments are reduced due to players records. Even amateur level.
    Some punishments shouldnt but im not pushed when the authorities are fairly consistent.
    I dont think it does imply disrespecting the officials is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nearly all punishments are reduced due to players records. Even amateur level.
    Some punishments shouldnt but im not pushed when the authorities are fairly consistent.
    I dont think it does imply disrespecting the officials is ok.

I think maybe a week added for his reaction as well as a week dropped for contrition would be fair.

The big issue here is that players don't have to be remorseful at all. They just need to say it. Its pretty cheap at this stage. And given his response to the ref, its fairly easy to claim he wasn't remorseful and saw nothing at allnwrong with what he did.

that '94 team... possibly the most talented team to win an all ireland.

Some fabulous players - Whelahan a giant, the Dooleys, Troys, Daithi Regan. I was at the match and the 95 final too, great battles. But my favourite Offaly player of all time was Ger Coughlan, a fantastic wing back throughout the 80s. One of the most skilful hurlers I ever saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Some fabulous players - Whelahan a giant, the Dooleys, Troys, Daithi Regan. I was at the match and the 95 final too, great battles. But my favourite Offaly player of all time was Ger Coughlan, a fantastic wing back throughout the 80s. One of the most skilful hurlers I ever saw.

I beat John Troy in a game of darts in the local pub league a while back. That's my claim to fame right there!!

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I beat John Troy in a game of darts in the local pub league a while back. That's my claim to fame right there!!

Did he show you his All-Ireland medal to put you in your place? :D

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think maybe a week added for his reaction as well as a week dropped for contrition would be fair.

The big issue here is that players don't have to be remorseful at all. They just need to say it. Its pretty cheap at this stage. And given his response to the ref, its fairly easy to claim he wasn't remorseful and saw nothing at allnwrong with what he did.
    I would agree with that about week added and removed.

There is something up but dont see the discipline committees changing.

It is clear given his response he wasnt remorseful im surprised that its nearly a given a few weeks are taken off all offences but its across the sport at all levels and may take something big for that to ever change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Trimble summed it up when describing that guy after the Scotland game in Murrayfield ... "he's a bit of a dork isn't he".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Did he show you his All-Ireland medal to put you in your place? :D

I was only about 16 or 17. Felt like a giant slaying 😂😂😂😂

razorblunt wrote: »
    Trimble summed it up when describing that guy after the Scotland game in Murrayfield ... "he's a bit of a dork isn't he".

I obviously don't know Ellis Genge at all, but if someone I knew and liked made that comment in my company I'd be in fits. It's very funny - highly crude but a solid enough take to be fair.

Big difference just letting that go in public though...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I would agree with that about week added and removed.

There is something up but dont see the discipline committees changing.

It is clear given his response he wasnt remorseful im surprised that its nearly a given a few weeks are taken off all offences but its across the sport at all levels and may take something big for that to ever change

It's Liam Williams....they should have banned him for a year and arranged for a plane to fly past his house with a banner with a middle finger printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The Williams one that sticks in my mind is the elbow to Paddy Jackson’s head after his try in the 2014 6N. Excellent player, but massive sh1tehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The best one was easily the penalty try incident at the end of a game against South Africa that cost Wales the win.

Watching it again, that is definitely a red card incident if it took place today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Australian rugby are due to play France in July and have floated the idea of hosting a mini world cup tourney with British, Irish and Saffers too....
    With the lions tour very unlikely, this idea might have some legs

The best one was easily the penalty try incident at the end of a game against South Africa that cost Wales the win.

Watching it again, that is definitely a red card incident if it took place today.
    Thats a red card in nearly any era
    Such a horrible cheap shot when he could easily made a proper tackle
    Australian rugby are due to play France in July and have floated the idea of hosting a mini world cup tourney with British, Irish and Saffers too....
    With the lions tour very unlikely, this idea might have some legs
    Would be interesting.
    Both England and Scotland scheduled to play in US so even without them if you had Aussies, Saffers, Irish, Welsh and some of the PIs then it could still work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quite how that wasn't even a yellow at the time is beyond me. No wrap, led with the forearm into the head, in the act of scoring AND its Liam Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Quite how that wasn't even a yellow at the time is beyond me. No wrap, led with the forearm into the head, in the act of scoring AND its Liam Williams.

Thats the most important part. He should get yellow carded at kick off. Every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Some refs were very slow to give a card AND a penalty try. Thankfully that has changed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement