Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Let's hope the leagues start the end of Feb. Training won't begin til the first week of Feb now and some teams could be pretty rusty for the first few games

Not a hope of crowds been allowed in and we will get all the games streamed on GAAGO along with TG4/Eir and RTE etc

The article from the Independent yesterday suggests they are still a bit 'up in the air'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/calls-grow-for-national-league-to-be-scrapped-with-gaa-facing-loss-of-17m-39958651.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Think there is a huge chance that the league's won't happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be a very quite GAA season for 2021, something personally i didn't think would happen

Some intercounty teams will only have 2 games all year if the league is scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Could be a very quite GAA season for 2021, something personally i didn't think would happen

Some intercounty teams will only have 2 games all year if the league is scrapped

I know they want to put club first but could they not play the leagues in late summer when hopefully we will start to emerge from this covid hell and the championship knockout in the winter again. I loved the knockout and watching the Sunday game in winter when there wasn't much on

roadmaster wrote: »
    I know they want to put club first but could they not play the leagues in late summer when hopefully we will start to emerge from this covid hell and the championship knockout in the winter again. I loved the knockout and watching the Sunday game in winter when there wasn't much on

Id say there regredding a little bit that they agreed on the intercounty first and club 2nd esp with the way things are after turning out. They want the Club Provincials and All Irelands to happen this time round. Scrapping the National Leagues would be an horrendous decision. Localise all divisions in the Hurling like they did in the football for this year only

Truth is nobody has a clue what will happen this year in all walks of life

• Advertisement

Id say there regredding a little bit that they agreed on the intercounty first and club 2nd esp with the way things are after turning out. They want the Club Provincials and All Irelands to happen this time round. Scrapping the National Leagues would be an horrendous decision. Localise all divisions in the Hurling like they did in the football for this year only

Truth is nobody has a clue what will happen this year in all walks of life

I think there was logic in their plan though. Level 5 means inter county can actually go ahead. So it made sense to go with that first. Technically, they could actually proceed with the inter county season at the moment. However, it appears they will be restricted with the club scene for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think the GAA organised last year quite well all things considered. I have to give them credit for resisting the temptation to start cramming the calendar full of games when the our Covid prospects looked good; during the summer several people here and in the media were calling for the AI club championships, hurling league knockout stages etc. to be run concurrently with the inter county season and played into January.

How much of a mess would that have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

I think there was logic in their plan though. Level 5 means inter county can actually go ahead. So it made sense to go with that first. Technically, they could actually proceed with the inter county season at the moment. However, it appears they will be restricted with the club scene for some time.

They could proceed but the numbers are higher then they ever were last year. Plus with the new variant from the UK being a lot more transmissible , it's not that easy. The Inter County is deemed elite but they are Amateurs not professionals in a bubble.

rrs wrote: »
    They could proceed but the numbers are higher then they ever were last year. Plus with the new variant from the UK being a lot more transmissible , it's not that easy. The Inter County is deemed elite but they are Amateurs not professionals in a bubble.

oh I realise that. My point was that scheduling club before county doesn't resolve that issue. I can see why they scheduled it the way they did. Unfortunately, the numbers at the moment make GAA scheduling even more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep. The idea of having county before club is its classed as elite and would have significantly less lads out playing. I assume they are hoping things are getting back to normal by the time club season starts in July or August when every player in the country would be out training and playing 3 or 4 times a week.

Saw today that the GAA are possibly pushing the league start out to late March, early April.

But definitely makes sense to have county first in spring which frees up late summer and autumn for club and not another terrible winter championship.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yep. The idea of having county before club is its classed as elite and would have significantly less lads out playing. I assume they are hoping things are getting back to normal by the time club season starts in July or August when every player in the country would be out training and playing 3 or 4 times a week.

Saw today that the GAA are possibly pushing the league start out to late March, early April.

But definitely makes sense to have county first in spring which frees up late summer and autumn for club and not another terrible winter championship.

Wonder could we see a further amendment with the league, then club and then a autumn championship? Theory being that they aren't getting any further financial aid from the government to run a championship and as such there is a better chance to have crowds if it is run off later in the year.

Wonder could we see a further amendment with the league, then club and then a autumn championship? Theory being that they aren't getting any further financial aid from the government to run a championship and as such there is a better chance to have crowds if it is run off later in the year.

Not sure. Depends on what level of restrictions are imposed on us and how vaccine rollout is among the general population. I think for club to be back we need to be restriction free and have a good uptake among players. May not have it set up that well for a club summer. Remember we also have competitions that need to be finished from last season and a few weeks training will be required.

The only counties I know about are Kerry and Meath and both have a fair few outstanding finals at all grades in football and hurling.

Could we see the leagues been redrawn, 3 teams a group with it been neighbour counties.

NHL Div 1
    Grp A- Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny
    Grp B- Cork, Limerick, Tipp
    Grp C- Clare, Galway, Laois
    Grp D- Dublin, Antrim,Westmeath

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1192185/

Leagues possibly starting in March now with a whole new master fixture list to be published

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Former Carlow manager suggests playing league and championship concurrently to prevent championship being pushed later into the year. Not sure how that would work...

https://extra.ie/2021/01/27/sport/gaa/turlough-obrien-gaa-can-run-all-ireland-and-allianz-league-concurrently

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/championship-revamp-to-be-deferred-until-later-in-year-for-special-debate-40034270.html

Is the club/county split season gone off the cards for 2021 now? I know they had said they would push the county season back a month, but is it now a wait and see thing to when is the earliest they can start?

The new championship format with Provisional in Spring and league into All Ireland in Summer sounds a great format IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

bamayang wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/championship-revamp-to-be-deferred-until-later-in-year-for-special-debate-40034270.html

Is the club/county split season gone off the cards for 2021 now? I know they had said they would push the county season back a month, but is it now a wait and see thing to when is the earliest they can start?

The new championship format with Provisional in Spring and league into All Ireland in Summer sounds a great format IMO.

Can someone explain what exactly this means?
    Alternatively, the league would revert to the summer and involve All-Ireland championship play-offs with the provincial championships preceding in spring on a round-robin basis.

Are county teams able to train now ? I'd say its fairly frustrating for the management teams and players waiting around to get the green light by the GAA

Are county teams able to train now ? I'd say its fairly frustrating for the management teams and players waiting around to get the green light by the GAA

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

No.

Are many waiting for a green light I wonder.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »

I'd guess every single team is after the furore with the ones that got caught.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/cork-and-down-managers-facing-three-month-bans-for-breach-of-training-guidelines-40040673.html

Proposed three minth bans for Cork and Down managers plus losing one home game from the league. To only start once things get up and running again,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/cork-and-down-managers-facing-three-month-bans-for-breach-of-training-guidelines-40040673.html

Proposed three minth bans for Cork and Down managers plus losing one home game from the league. To only start once things get up and running again,

That’s 2 caught so, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

That’s 2 caught so, so far.

So far, I’m sure there are more out there.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So far, I’m sure there are more out there.

Kildare were the "unnamed leinster county" mentioned a couple of weeks ago but I havent seen exactly what they were supposed to have done or if there will be any sanctions.

Radio Kerry had an interview with our new ladies captain the other day and she was asked about training and just said they had been given individual programmes to tip away with at home. Obviously that's just the official line to throw out but I'd hope that's the case across the majority of the country tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Kildare were the "unnamed leinster county" mentioned a couple of weeks ago but I havent seen exactly what they were supposed to have done or if there will be any sanctions.

Radio Kerry had an interview with our new ladies captain the other day and she was asked about training and just said they had been given individual programmes to tip away with at home. Obviously that's just the official line to throw out but I'd hope that's the case across the majority of the country tbh.

Allegedly Kildare were running on the Curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Allegedly Kildare were running on the Curragh

Surely they must have had loads of eye witnesses and GAA would have perused it if that's true. Curragh is fairly wide open area unless they were in army facilities.

Club window shouldnt be left to county boards either. 3 month suspension for breaching that would be a great deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’m sure there are more, silly lads. I saw at club level in the 1st lockdown. A club using a public park that would be associated with another club. A club minor team masquerading as a county u20 team and playing the club the county minors in preparation for a county minor final, which has not taken place yet and most likely won’t at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

15th of February is when they are reviewing the matter. Its a health situation where they are reviewing how the cases will be. I don't see how the GAA can be at fault for that.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0201/1194422-gaa-delays-decision-on-return-to-training-by-two-weeks/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Not all teams are straining to get back training. It hasn't been that long since last season. The mood around the Limerick hurlers is they are in no rush back ..

Advertisement