Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What happened to the under 20s?

Someone told me they were due to be played and that Paddy Power had priced the football final up again, but there's no date for it as far as I can see.

Not questioning the status of the women's junior football, but seems odd that those games were held while the male under 20s are in hiatus? Can't see any reason they would not be played.

And definitely not questioning the women's thing as I greatly enjoy the games.

(And underage certainly does not apply to the womens game as anyone familiar with the ages of players will know.)

Only 12 counties contesting women's senior. If that were the only championship allowed alot of counties would be left without an outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

feargale wrote: »
    Only 12 counties contesting women's senior. If that were the only championship allowed alot of counties would be left without an outing.

What has that to do with not allowing the under 20s to finish?

One doesn't impact the other in any way, nor is either going to make one bit of difference to the virus numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

What happened to the under 20s?

Someone told me they were due to be played and that Paddy Power had priced the football final up again, but there's no date for it as far as I can see.

Not questioning the status of the women's junior football, but seems odd that those games were held while the male under 20s are in hiatus? Can't see any reason they would not be played.

And definitely not questioning the women's thing as I greatly enjoy the games.

(And underage certainly does not apply to the womens game as anyone familiar with the ages of players will know.)

Probably because the Under-20s isn't the elite level in a county in football. Women's Junior football is the elite level for the counties participating in women's football.

If there's only the final to be played they'll probably play it in sometime early next year once the restrictions on non elite level matches get lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Women's junior football is not the elite level of the sport.

It is for the counties playing it. I'm not entirely sure on the football but for the camoige they removed counties second teams from the Intermediate and Junior Championships.

• Advertisement

Shhhh. Keep that to yourself. You could see Joe McDonagh and Christy Ring cancelled,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So Down are in hot water over a team gathering for a training session. They can call it what they want but it was still a gathering and brings the GAA unto disrepute.

They are probably not the only team at it and the GAA need to come down hard on this thing. It will set the tone for the future split season, where if county teams are told they can't train during club windows then they will be severely punished if they do.

Laois and a few other counties lost home advantage for a league games for breaches of training sessions outside County a few years ago so a precedent has already been set and what Down have done is much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

recyclebin wrote: »
    So Down are in hot water over a team gathering for a training session. They can call it what they want but it was still a gathering and brings the GAA unto disrepute.

They are probably not the only team at it and the GAA need to come down hard on this thing. It will set the tone for the future split season, where if county teams are told they can't train during club windows then they will be severely punished if they do.

Laois and a few other counties lost home advantage for a league games for breaches of training sessions outside County a few years ago so a precedent has already been set and what Down have done is much much worse.

Cork also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Down is in Northern Ireland. Can they get off this on some sort of a technicality?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Down is in Northern Ireland. Can they get off this on some sort of a technicality?

They are breaching GAA rules rather than general rules around restrictions. GAA rules apply to all members regardless of North or South.

• Advertisement

Mayo also seem to be in trouble over sneaking backroom staff into the All Ireland final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

kksaints wrote: »
    Mayo also seem to be in trouble over sneaking backroom staff into the All Ireland final.

I thought that was allowed for the All Ireland finals last month.

I thought that was allowed for the All Ireland finals last month.

There was a limit on the number allowed in. It was requested for that number to be increased but the request was turned down (cant remember if it was by GAA or government). There have been reports that Mayo exceeded that number. Further details can be found at below link:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/mayo-in-the-dock-as-trios-covert-entry-to-all-ireland-final-is-caught-on-cctv-39945470.html

There was a limit on the number allowed in. It was requested for that number to be increased but the request was turned down (cant remember if it was by GAA or government). There have been reports that Mayo exceeded that number. Further details can be found at below link:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/mayo-in-the-dock-as-trios-covert-entry-to-all-ireland-final-is-caught-on-cctv-39945470.html

OK well in that case it seems that the Mayo team officials did break the rules and need to be sanctioned for it.

Article on Indo also mentions a Leinster football team. Which one is that? Cork and Down named but not the Leinster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

will we see crowds at inter county championship this summer, i think we wnt see anymore than 500 at the all ireland final if its in july

OK well in that case it seems that the Mayo team officials did break the rules and need to be sanctioned for it.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/sport/44171-three-members-of-the-mayo-gaa-backroom-team-suspended

Looks like Mayo have dealt with issue 'internally' which I am not sure is the correct way to address breaches like this.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    will we see crowds at inter county championship this summer, i think we wnt see anymore than 500 at the all ireland final if its in july

If there are they will certainly not be full stadiums. 500 would seem on the low side for Croker for the finals but probably no more than a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I can't see how Cork, Down and probably Mayo won't avoid an 8 week ban (the 8 week ban is the minimum/could well be more)

[For Mayo I'd imagine their offence will be deemed to be "Misconduct Considered to have Discredited the Association" which is the rule that they have said the collective training issue will be dealt with and seems the best fit for Mayo's offence]

Cork and Down have both admitted that they broke the collective training ban and they have CCTV footage of the Mayo officials, so I don't think there will be any fancy lawyering that will get any of them off.
    Collective training: Collective training is where one or more player(s)
    is/are required to be at a specific place at a specific time on a specific date.

Depending on what dates the punishment will be applied could have serious impact on Division 2 if some teams are forced to miss league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/sport/44171-three-members-of-the-mayo-gaa-backroom-team-suspended

Looks like Mayo have dealt with issue 'internally' which I am not sure is the correct way to address breaches like this.

Does anyone want to PM me who they were?

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to PM me who they were?

You would have to wonder who they were, and why they are not being named? Are suspensions not made public by the GAA? My guess is it's not an official GAA suspension and Mayo county board are hoping this story will blow over.

I don't think this offence it as serious as what Cork, Down and 'Unnamed Leinster team' were up to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You would have to wonder who they were, and why they are not being named? Are suspensions not made public by the GAA? My guess is it's not an official GAA suspension and Mayo county board are hoping this story will blow over.

I don't think this offence it as serious as what Cork, Down and 'Unnamed Leinster team' were up to though.
    was the club who played a covid positive player in the county final punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

irishgeo wrote: »
    was the club who played a covid positive player in the county final punished?

Weren't they stripped of the title?

Weren't they stripped of the title?

That was the Dungarvan intermediate football team and yes they were and rightly so.

A Galway hurler, John Moylan of Beagh got a 48 week ban for failing to comply with Covid regulations. The ban was overturned by the Connacht Hearings Committee,
    Coiste Éisteachta Connacht CLG in arriving at this decision "considered all of the points raised by both appellant and decision-maker parties and found that the appellant’s right to a fair hearing was compromised to such an extent that a clear injustice has occurred.”
    What I find strange is that the Committee doesn't appear to have explained why it deemed the hearing unfair and compromised.

feargale wrote: »
    A Galway hurler, John Moylan of Beagh got a 48 week ban for failing to comply with Covid regulations. The ban was overturned by the Connacht Hearings Committee,
    Coiste Éisteachta Connacht CLG in arriving at this decision "considered all of the points raised by both appellant and decision-maker parties and found that the appellant’s right to a fair hearing was compromised to such an extent that a clear injustice has occurred.”
    What I find strange is that the Committee doesn't appear to have explained why it deemed the hearing unfair and compromised.

Sounds like he wasn't given the chance to due process.
    In any case, natural justice applies and someone has the right to present their side of the story.

The above seems to signify that might have been overlooked.

Sounds like he wasn't given the chance to due process.
    In any case, natural justice applies and someone has the right to present their side of the story.

The above seems to signify that might have been overlooked.

What you say may or may not have been the case. I would be amazed if in this day and age a county board wasn't aware that an accused person should be heard.

My point is that the court of appeal should clearly state its reasons, if for no other reason than to demonstrate absence of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0109/1188677-daly-teams-that-train-should-get-severe-punishment/

Two interesting points here:

1) Teams should be avoiding group training as per GAA regulations
    2) If teams that have broken this ban are tossed out of tournaments then there'll be 2-3 teams left.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

puzl wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0109/1188677-daly-teams-that-train-should-get-severe-punishment/

Two interesting points here:

1) Teams should be avoiding group training as per GAA regulations
    2) If teams that have broken this ban are tossed out of tournaments then there'll be 2-3 teams left.
    On pt 2 if teams know they are going to get punish they think twice about breaking the rules.
    Let's hope that the teams that already broke gaa regulations gets the proper punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,856 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope the leagues start the end of Feb. Training won't begin til the first week of Feb now and some teams could be pretty rusty for the first few games

Not a hope of crowds been allowed in and we will get all the games streamed on GAAGO along with TG4/Eir and RTE etc

Advertisement