Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, is anyone keeping track of how many times Trump is bringing up the Electoral College to defend his fragile ego in today's press conference? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

So, is anyone keeping track of how many times Trump is bringing up the Electoral College to defend his fragile ego in today's press conference? :pac:

Scarier Than ‘Psycho’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

He was also completely wrong. His electoral college margin was less than that enjoyed by Bush, Clinton and Obama. Confronted with this: "I don't know. I was just given that information". By who? The voices in his head?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    Full transcript here with some of the lies annotated.
    jooksavage wrote: »
    The voices in his head?
    Voices? Probably just "the voice":

409530.jpg

So, the self-professed "professional troll" dropped this clanger a year ago which has just been unearthed:

...and has since had his book deal with Simon & Schuster cancelled (but not before he got $250k out of them) and has been uninvited from the American Conservative Union's CPAC this weekend. Rumour has it that some Trump News employees also want him sacked from their company, too.

• Advertisement

So, the self-professed "professional troll" dropped this clanger a year ago
    As my offspring is a few feet away, and am not therefore in a position to pump up the volume, would I be right in thinking that this is the video which surfaced yesterday where the excellent Mr Yiannopoulos thanked a (catholic?) priest named Fr Michael for allowing him a variety of opportunities to express himself above and beyond the curriculum of the UK's usual sex-ed classes, when Yiannopoulos was "around fourteen"?

robindch wrote: »
    As my offspring is a few feet away, and am not therefore in a position to pump up the volume, would I be right in thinking that this is the video which surfaced yesterday where the excellent Mr Yiannopoulos thanked a (catholic?) priest named Fr Michael for allowing him a variety of opportunities to express himself above and beyond the curriculum of the UK's usual sex-ed classes, when Yiannopoulos was "around fourteen"?

Yep, you got it in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So, the self-professed "professional troll" dropped this clanger a year ago which has just been unearthed:

...and has since had his book deal with Simon & Schuster cancelled (but not before he got $250k out of them) and has been uninvited from the American Conservative Union's CPAC this weekend. Rumour has it that some Trump News employees also want him sacked from their company, too.

politics aside, remember he was abused as a young teenager by an adult, I dont for a minute think Milo is some NAMBLA freak. it might be more a coping mechanism. There is a George Takai video on youtube and he comes out with similar comments, he said it was ok that an adult had sex with him when he was 13 because he was good looking, sounds like a pro pedo comment to me?. if either of them advocated to have consent laws changed then sure get the pliers and blow torches warmed up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

silverharp wrote: »
    politics aside, remember he was abused as a young teenager by an adult, I dont for a minute think Milo is some NAMBLA freak. it might be more a coping mechanism. There is a George Takai video on youtube and he comes out with similar comments, he said it was ok that an adult had sex with him when he was 13 because he was good looking, sounds like a pro pedo comment to me?. if either of them advocated to have consent laws changed then sure get the pliers and blow torches warmed up

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that. We absolutely have to be free to advocate changes to all laws in a free and democratic society. Look at the progress of laws over the centuries, have we the audacity to decide that for thousands of years people got it wrong, but our morals and laws are just perfect, and we'll tear up anyone who dares to advocate change?

This has to include consent laws and age of consent. I happen to think that considering the mess that is human sexuality they're about right, but if someone was to advocate changes, the response is not to get the pliers out, it's to listen, then disagree and move one.

Milo's comments remind me of the mess Norris made of his presidential campaign on a very similar topic, Milo certainly is not some sort of NAMBLA advocate, he's not touring speaking on this topic.

The comparison of how media reacts to this is telling, one drunken stream with a couple of comments is 'advocating pedophilia' and is shocking, yet the vagina monologues was widely praised by the same media outlets, despite celebrating the rape of a 13 year old girl by an older lesbian.

pH wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I'm not buying that. We absolutely have to be free to advocate changes to all laws in a free and democratic society. Look at the progress of laws over the centuries, have we the audacity to decide that for thousands of years people got it wrong, but our morals and laws are just perfect, and we'll tear up anyone who dares to advocate change?

This has to include consent laws and age of consent. I happen to think that considering the mess that is human sexuality they're about right, but if someone was to advocate changes, the response is not to get the pliers out, it's to listen, then disagree and move one.

in theory maybe but this is one of the absolute red lines in a civilised country and one would not expect to have a measured response.

Milo's comments remind me of the mess Norris made of his presidential campaign on a very similar topic, Milo certainly is not some sort of NAMBLA advocate, he's not touring speaking on this topic.

The comparison of how media reacts to this is telling, one drunken stream with a couple of comments is 'advocating pedophilia' and is shocking, yet the vagina monologues was widely praised by the same media outlets, despite celebrating the rape of a 13 year old girl by an older lesbian.

also Dawkins too but not sure what he actually said though but I think he was a victim of some abuse as well and I think its reasonable for a victim to put their experience in context.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Dawkins said he couldn't look back on "mild paedophilia" from his school days and judge people for it. I didn't take it as him saying he was a victim but its possible.

politics aside, remember he was abused as a young teenager by an adult, I dont for a minute think Milo is some NAMBLA freak. it might be more a coping mechanism [...]
    Having listened to the entire interview shortly a few days ago, Yiannopoulos appears to believe that sex with 13-year old kids is fine, so long as contact is initiated by the child. In fact, I seem to remember that he went several steps further and spoke approvingly, and presumably from first-hand knowledge, about kids who actively target adults.

That itself is a much more interesting point which seems to have been lost in the whole palaver and it certainly arose a few years ago here when David Norris made approximately similar comments. The suggestion that this is a "coping mechanism" on the part of Yiannopoulos is unrealistic.

The problem with Yiannopoulos, of course, is not that he is a child abuser or somebody who appears to have much time for child abuse - on the evidence so far, I don't believe he does - but the more obvious fact that he is a malignant narcissist who is prepared to say whatever he likes, and thereby inflame and enrage whoever he likes, in order to increase his social media profile amongst a group of individuals who are already inflamed and enraged - this is likely to increase social disorder.

That said, it's good to see that there are some forms of antisocial behaviour which are so extreme that even the White Right won't tolerate them and it's hardly surprising that Yiannopoulos has managed to find that limit.

robindch wrote: »
    Having listened to the entire interview shortly a few days ago, Yiannopoulos appears to believe that sex with 13-year old kids is fine, so long as contact is initiated by the child. In fact, I seem to remember that he went several steps further and spoke approvingly, and presumably from first-hand knowledge, about kids who actively target adults.

That itself is a much more interesting point which seems to have been lost in the whole palaver and it certainly arose a few years ago here when David Norris made approximately similar comments. The suggestion that this is a "coping mechanism" on the part of Yiannopoulos is unrealistic.

The problem with Yiannopoulos, of course, is not that he is a child abuser or somebody who appears to have much time for child abuse - on the evidence so far, I don't believe he does - but the more obvious fact that he is a malignant narcissist who is prepared to say whatever he likes, and thereby inflame and enrage whoever he likes, in order to increase his social media profile amongst a group of individuals who are already inflamed and enraged - this is likely to increase social disorder.

That said, it's good to see that there are some forms of antisocial behaviour which are so extreme that even the White Right won't tolerate them and it's hardly surprising that Yiannopoulos has managed to find that limit.

the way I see it is that he wasnt taken down because of any child welfare concerns, it was just a hit piece and there is part of the Republicans no doubt that are glad he is gone.
    otherwise free speech all the way, he might come back with more fans and stronger :D

Sure, he might come back stronger and with more fans...and pigs might fly. :rolleyes: I find it ironic that Milo and his fans are complaining about "hit pieces".

Sure, he might come back stronger and with more fans...and pigs might fly. :rolleyes: I find it ironic that Milo and his fans are complaining about "hit pieces".

His little press conference where he had to act sheepish and regretful is absolutely priceless. You can't be a provocateur if you go around issuing wish washy apology press conferences. Surely that has to lose him some favour with trolls and ****lords?

Qs wrote: »
    His little press conference where he had to act sheepish and regretful is absolutely priceless. You can't be a provocateur if you go around issuing wish washy apology press conferences. Surely that has to lose him some favour with trolls and ****lords?

Ah people like a good come back story , he was having a go at Bill Maher over Maher's Pedo views

Oh Mahers comments are as bad if not worse. Mahers a scumbag though, I've zero time for him.

I'm no fan of him either thanks to his being an anti-vaxxer. BTW, I very much doubt people would appreciate a comeback story from a guy who made a living off being so outspoken yet never reported child abuse at these alleged parties he's been to.

I'm no fan of him either thanks to his being an anti-vaxxer. BTW, I very much doubt people would appreciate a comeback story from a guy who made a living off being so outspoken yet never reported child abuse at these alleged parties he's been to.

a bunch of actors have come out over the years and suggested there are is a big pedo problem in Hollywood, nobody is looking for their heads because they havnt named names. Either there is no evidence to act on and they know they would be ruined with defamation lawsuits or worse
    funnily enough Trump made comments yesterday at some trafficking meeting and he used the phrase "horrific" a few times , it would be interesting if he was referring to sex trafficking as opposed to illegal workers.

Bill Maher:
    About a week ago, I went on Van Jones’s show, and somebody asked me about the booking. I hadn’t really gotten into the details of Milo yet. He was just getting on my radar. I said, specifically, sunlight is the best disinfectant. Then we had Milo on, despite the fact that many people said, “Oh, how dare you give a platform to this man.” What I think people saw was an emotionally needy Ann Coulter wannabe, trying to make a buck off of the left’s propensity for outrage. And by the end of the weekend, by dinnertime Monday, he’s dropped as a speaker at CPAC. Then he’s dropped by Breitbart, and his book deal falls through. As I say, sunlight is the best disinfectant. You’re welcome.

You go Bill!

Oh wait, maybe we're all going to fall over ourselves asking "Did he really mean it?" "Was he playing Devil's advocate?"
    What next for Maher? He has to go right? Lose his job? Public shaming and humiliation?

Or maybe, because you agree with a lot of what Maher says and does politically, he deserves a pass on this?

• Advertisement

This whataboutery from Milo's fanboys is getting tiresome.

At least Maher hasn't tried to weasel out of paying his employees.

This whataboutery from Milo's fanboys is getting tiresome.

At least Maher hasn't tried to weasel out of paying his employees.

Oh even better, change the subject and ignore it! Bill Maher can advocate paedophilia, but let's talk about something serious like people who haven't been paid by Milo. He employees, what? two or three thousand people who might not been paid or is it slightly less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I like how Maher is taking credit for Milo's downfall even though he had nothing to do with it. He called him a young Hitchens on his show.

I think Maher was wrong to advocate pederasty too, happy now?

EDIT: As for the "weaseling out of paying employees", it took a court case to get his company Sentinel Media to pay up.

I guess maybe that's why "big government" is so horrifying to him. :pac:

I think Maher was wrong to advocate pederasty too, happy now?

Nah, I'm not that big a Milo fanboy to be honest, couldn't care less about who he has and hasn't paid, your obsession with him and all his many flaws must be a tremendous comfort to you, good luck with it.

You do realise in the same post say you're tired of 'whataboutery' you immediately followed that up with:

whataboutmilonotpayingsomeoneomgomgomg!

To be fair to you, you did say you're only tired of the whataboutery of those whose opinions you disagree with, obviously your own whataboutery is just the r

EDIT
    EDIT: As for the "weaseling out of paying employees", it took a court case to get his company Sentinel Media to pay upight kind.
    Oh so by "employees" you mean "one employee"

Nah, I'm not that big a Milo fanboy to be honest, couldn't care less about who he has and hasn't paid, your obsession with him and all his many flaws must be a tremendous comfort to you, good luck with it.

You do realise in the same post say you're tired of 'whataboutery' you immediately followed that up with:

whataboutmilonotpayingsomeoneomgomgomg!

To be fair to you, you did say you're only tired of the whataboutery of those whose opinions you disagree with, obviously your own whataboutery is just the right kind.

I'm sure the comfort doesn't come close to yours when you're Right On The Internet. The whataboutery is Milo's fanboys deflecting from his latest controversy by finding an opponent of his which has done the same...pretty much the same tactic they use to defend their Tangy Cheese Flavoured Messiah since he entered the 2016 Presidential race.

I'm sure the comfort doesn't come close to yours when you're Right On The Internet. The whataboutery is Milo's fanboys deflecting from his latest controversy by finding an opponent of his which has done the same...pretty much the same tactic they use to defend their Tangy Cheese Flavoured Messiah since he entered the 2016 Presidential race.

I think it was more to point out the hypocrisy that there was no underlying concern for kids. The regressive strategy is to social shame where possible, someone said x once lets get them even though someone on their own team may have said x^2 several times.
    that is what was happening in science and elsewhere, scientist said something or wore the wrong kind of shirt so has to prostrate themselves to the baying crowd. Its unbecoming ! and its why political correctness in its current form should die

I think it was more to point out the hypocrisy that there was no underlying concern for kids. The regressive strategy is to social shame where possible, someone said x once lets get them even though someone on their own team may have said x^2 several times.
    that is what was happening in science and elsewhere, scientist said something or wore the wrong kind of shirt so has to prostrate themselves to the baying crowd. Its unbecoming ! and its why political correctness in its current form should die

Indeed, hypocrisy is the regressive left's one defining factor. Lesbian 'good rape' of 13 year old girl in vagina monologues is lauded.

Robert Swope was fired as a columnist because of 'public' outrage that his criticised the VM for what is essentially Milo's and Takei's story. A woman recounts (favourably) the lesbian assault/rape that happened when she was 13, describing it in many positive ways ending with the phrase "If it was rape it was good rape". Swope was publicly hounded and lost his job for saying about that what the mob has been screaming about Milo.

Bill Wyman has avoided prosecution all his life despite admitting that he and Mandy Smith had a sexual relationship when she was 14. Roman Polanski, a man that drugged and raped a 13 year old model left in his care, admitted to the offence but said the girl was 'sexually experienced', then fled the US and has since has made many films, shown all over the world, no screaming mob trying to burn down every theatre that shows one. Why?

To be honest the real paedophilia advocates are the ones who trivialise the issue to make political points when it suits them.

I would have thought Maher was more on your team? He's all about raging against PC, Muslims, etc He even called trans people weirdos in his interview with Milo.

Its seems like not many want Maher on their team at all.

• Advertisement

Let's just totally ignore the alt-right's love of such shaming/harassment tactics, like the triple brackets when they find Jews on the Internet, calling someone a "cuck" if they come across anyone to the left of Fred Phelps or more of a feminist than the average Da'esh militant, and of course they're not averse to doxxing either. They're mainly mad about "no-platforming" because they're not the ones who get to implement it on college campuses, and instead have to settle for implementing it on their own little pockets of the Internet.

Oh, and for the record, if I ever watch a Polanski movie it'd be after pirating it, I don't want to give that scumbag a single cent. ;)

Advertisement