Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brother of Winning Streak contestant shot dead

• 25-09-2015 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

A brother of the young lad who was on Winning Streak last Saturday night has been shot dead in spain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

At least it wasn't the brother of the fella that was on Winning Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He played The Gangster Roulette, and lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Probably executed by another dodgy Irish ex pat. It's not a life I'd choose. Gardai telling you there is a threat to your life..and then not bothering to defend you. In Spain you've less chance of help too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ally Dick wrote:
    Probably executed by another dodgy Irish ex pat. It's not a life I'd choose. Gardai telling you there is a threat to your life..and then not bothering to defend you. In Spain you've less chance of help too

I really don't think it's down to the guards to defend you from your fellow criminals. Not when you're probably every bit as bad as they are. They have better things to be doing. And sure those fellas only go to Spain to live a great life on their ill gotten gains and evade the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Nah when you get involved in that lifestyle it's like Russian roulette. It's decent ordinary citizens that need protection. The guards aren't personal bodyguards for criminals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Quickly throws bag of popcorn into microwave :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

It was his cousin not his brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Why on earth would our guards (or any police) try and protect criminals?

Tilly wrote: »

Because look what you have now. Lazy policing. Omertas being carried out in housing estates in Tallaght and Clondalkin. It's the broken window theory. Leave a broken window in an estate unrepaired, and the whole estate goes to sh!t very quickly. The gardai need to pursue the whole of the law, or you end up with anarchy. It's not about protecting criminals per se. It's about doing all of their job and not letting criminals roam the cities with guns, going on missions to kill people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Nah when you get involved in that lifestyle it's like Russian roulette. It's decent ordinary citizens that need protection. The guards aren't personal bodyguards for criminals

I see your point but the gardai have a responsibility to protect everybody.
    They have a duty to all citizens. they can't just judge somebody.
    If they don't protect everybody regardless of status you can chaos and the risk that a targets wife / kids or others get hurt too.

what gets me is you know people are after you and you still live in the same house and do your thing as usual.

I was at a party once , rough sort of party. one fella was there with a vest on , sweating like a mad fella but refused to take it off. Can't have been pleasant for him. Was told people were after him.
    seemed pleasant of a chap enough but there were about 50 people in the house and the door was open , I hardly knew anybody. If I was worried about my safety I wouldn't be there but I guess one must party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The Gardai do offer protection and advice. More often than not they are told to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

macnug wrote: »
    It was his cousin not his brother.

He ain't heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,989 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

why would the Garda be protecting someone over in Spain ?

The gardai have a duty first and foremost to protect the people who haven't brought any trouble on themselves. They have a duty to protect young impressionable kids from these scrotes dealing drugs. They have a duty to protect elderly people from being afraid to stay in their own homes on their own. They have a duty to protect people going about their daily business from being attacked or harmed in anyway.

When you live by the sword, you can't complain when the sword kills you. Why should a member of the gardai (unarmed as they are) put themselves in dangers way, trying to protect someone who would think NOTHING about lodging a bullet in someone else over a drug debt/stupid feud. If they're big and tough enough to intimidate others, then let them deal with the consequences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I find myself overcome with indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He went to Spain for a little chat, thought he could relax....no ratsssssssss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

omg so sad cant stop cryin so sad sleep wit the angles hun rip havent stoped cryin all day lol xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No sympathy at all for this fella, if this is the way he wanted to lead his life then there is always the possibility his life would be in danger

RayM wrote: »
    omg so sad cant stop cryin so sad sleep wit the angles hun rip havent stoped cryin all day lol xx

Dnt worri hun he's gt d best bed in hevin x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Dnt worri hun he's gt d best bed in hevin x

God only takes de best ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Gardai do offer protection and advice. More often than not they are told to **** off.

Often heard it said they refused Garda protection.

What criminal wants Guards following them around in fairness,they'd be a laughing stock.

Did he get a cut of the Winning Streak money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

RIP

Condolences to his family xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

saying he's a relation of a winning streak contestant is burying the lead a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find it amazing that people reference TV shows for things like this.

"The man whose cousin once appeared as a book reviewer on the Late Late Toy Show as a child was shot twice outside his house."

"The woman, who once went to school with that woman who filled in for the girl that used to be on Off the Rails while she was out on maternity leave, was arrested and charged with two counts of smuggling cocaine."

"The teenager, who was taught in the very same school that the cousin of Marty Whelan attended, was taken into custody early this morning."

The gardai have a duty first and foremost to protect the people who haven't brought any trouble on themselves. They have a duty to protect young impressionable kids from these scrotes dealing drugs. They have a duty to protect elderly people from being afraid to stay in their own homes on their own. They have a duty to protect people going about their daily business from being attacked or harmed in anyway.

When you live by the sword, you can't complain when the sword kills you. Why should a member of the gardai (unarmed as they are) put themselves in dangers way, trying to protect someone who would think NOTHING about lodging a bullet in someone else over a drug debt/stupid feud. If they're big and tough enough to intimidate others, then let them deal with the consequences

We don't leave it to the Gardai to decide who they are and are not going to protect.

Now I wouldn't suggest that the AGS do it but there are a couple of PR techniques that I've seen Police in UK do. Someone is killed and there's a bit of a furore.

- its leaked that he dealt drugs. Who is going to argue?

- if that fails they'll just get someone into custody (and they're not too fussy who). Gives them a chance to manage the story - active lines of enquiry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Tilly wrote: »

Dey have rightz too ya know.

We don't leave it to the Gardai to decide who they are and are not going to protect.

Now I wouldn't suggest that the AGS do it but there are a couple of PR techniques that I've seen Police in UK do. Someone is killed and there's a bit of a furore.

- its leaked that he dealt drugs. Who is going to argue?

- if that fails they'll just get someone into custody (and they're not too fussy who). Gives them a chance to manage the story - active lines of enquiry

As long as they're not taking out innocent bystanders they're doing society a favour taking out each other.
    There was a young lad beaten stabbed and set on fire the night Kilkenny won the all Ireland in rhode, left for dead. The news headlines were "young drug dealer" and mentioned how he was known to gardai, his convictions, the fact they were following a line of enquiry incase it was related to a grow house being uncovered months previously, and how much he owed in a drug debt.

Hardly painting a picture of an innocent victim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I find it amazing that people reference TV shows for things like this.

"The man whose cousin once appeared as a book reviewer on the Late Late Toy Show as a child was shot twice outside his house."

"The woman, who once went to school with that woman who filled in for the girl that used to be on Off the Rails while she was out on maternity leave, was arrested and charged with two counts of smuggling cocaine."

"The teenager, who was taught in the very same school that the cousin of Marty Whelan attended, was taken into custody early this morning."

Stira, as seen on the Late Late Show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Stira, as seen on the Late Late Show

They only dropped that from their ads in the past five years or so if I recall correctly even though they were featured on the show in 1990!

At least in their case it was for marketing purposes not just "Hey everyone something happened to someone that knows someone that was on the telly!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I heart TV wrote: »
    A brother of the young lad who was on Winning Streak last Saturday night has been shot dead in spain.

What a non headline.

As long as they're not taking out innocent bystanders they're doing society a favour taking out each other.
    There was a young lad beaten stabbed and set on fire the night Kilkenny won the all Ireland in rhode, left for dead. The news headlines were "young drug dealer" and mentioned how he was known to gardai, his convictions, the fact they were following a line of enquiry incase it was related to a grow house being uncovered months previously, and how much he owed in a drug debt.

Hardly painting a picture of an innocent victim

You have to admire the journalists able to get that information and so quickly.

Burned to death huh? Too good for him.

Well no he didn't die actually

Well no he didn't die actually

Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

... There was a young lad beaten stabbed and set on fire the night Kilkenny won the all Ireland in rhode, left for dead. ...

Kilkenny never won an All Ireland in Rhode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One problem of course is that they frequently do take out innocent bystanders. Sometimes accidentally, sometimes deliberately to remove witnesses.

And if they're unofficially "allowed" to attack eachother, they believe that they have some kind of power, or right to enforce their own rules. Which ends up extending beyond the realms of dangerous scumbags shooting eachother. And it becomes dangerous scumbags meting out "justice" against those who have offended them (or just for fun), and you get Baiba Saulite and Marioara Rostas.

As much as we all like to say "fnck him, just another dead scumbag", ultimately allowing scumbags to act like scumbags erodes the very basis of a civil society, which is why we still have to try and protect them from eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

The gardai have a duty first and foremost to protect the people who haven't brought any trouble on themselves.

you are wrong, they have a duty to all citizens.
    In your scenario , who decides? The gardai ? you? AH ?

I was done for drunk and disorderly 15 years ago....do I rank less worthy than you on this list of protection?
    They have a duty to protect young impressionable kids from these scrotes dealing drugs.

get off the stage:rolleyes:...anybody (including me) who has taken drugs it has been because it was their choice.
    They have a duty to protect elderly people from being afraid to stay in their own homes on their own. They have a duty to protect people going about their daily business from being attacked or harmed in anyway.

yes and all citizens fall into that category.
    When you live by the sword, you can't complain when the sword kills you.
    i'm sure he isn't complaining cos he is dead. :rolleyes:
    and if they did I'm sure they'd blame their enemies not the gardai.
    Why should a member of the gardai (unarmed as they are) put themselves in dangers way, trying to protect someone who would think NOTHING about lodging a bullet in someone else over a drug debt/stupid feud. If they're big and tough enough to intimidate others, then let them deal with the consequences

because that is their duty , they swore the oath and they get paid to perform that duty.

well people involved do deal with the consequences.

As for feuds , you'd be surprised how

1. they start for petty reasons, sometime non-criminal
    2. people get dragged into them, even previously non-criminal family members. they often do this because there is no garda protection.

for example look up John Campion in the article. No convictions before being dragged into the feud.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/judge-imposes-jail-terms-in-gun-cases-1.991359

quoted for your convenience
    In a second case involving firearms yesterday, the 20-year-old nephew of Noel Campion was jailed for three years for possession of a revolver on the day that his uncle was murdered. John Campion, formerly of Creaval Park, Moyross, pleaded guilty to possession of a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver and five live rounds of .38 ammunition for an unlawful purpose at Craeval Park on April 26th last.

He told gardaí he had the gun for his own protection as his uncle's killers were taunting him that he was the only male Campion left standing.
    Before imposing sentence, the judge said that he accepted that other parties saw John Campion, who had no previous convictions prior to this event, as a "soft target", even though he had no involvement in any feud in the city.

I suggest you climb out of your ivory tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

€30 odd k will go a long way towards burying him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Kilkenny never won an All Ireland in Rhode.

I thought all rhodes lead to croker?

arayess wrote: »
    I see your point but the gardai have a responsibility to protect everybody.
    They have a duty to all citizens. they can't just judge somebody.
    If they don't protect everybody regardless of status you can chaos and the risk that a targets wife / kids or others get hurt too.

what gets me is you know people are after you and you still live in the same house and do your thing as usual.

I was at a party once , rough sort of party. one fella was there with a vest on , sweating like a mad fella but refused to take it off. Can't have been pleasant for him. Was told people were after him.
    seemed pleasant of a chap enough but there were about 50 people in the house and the door was open , I hardly knew anybody. If I was worried about my safety I wouldn't be there but I guess one must party.

The thing about this situation is that you could end up with another innocent bystander being shot like Donna Cleary on your hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Because look what you have now. Lazy policing. Omertas being carried out in housing estates in Tallaght and Clondalkin. It's the broken window theory. Leave a broken window in an estate unrepaired, and the whole estate goes to sh!t very quickly. The gardai need to pursue the whole of the law, or you end up with anarchy. It's not about protecting criminals per se. It's about doing all of their job and not letting criminals roam the cities with guns, going on missions to kill people

As long as they only kill each other it's one less waste of space to worry about.

Advertisement