Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2019, 12:11   #46
stateofflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbthedepths View Post
Had a look online today at pricing. 23rd of Aug to the 26th for 3 adults 929 euro self catering. Same dates in Malaga Spain flights and accommodation coming in at 824 euro plus gauranteed sunshine.
This is the main thing for me.. ive been to many a caravan park in ireland where it rained torrential for weeks..some 'holiday'.
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 12:18   #47
fits

When you have very young kids strong sunlight can be difficult to manage too. We couldn’t go outside in last summers hot spell until after 6 pm as my old house was fully south facing and had no shade at all. It was a heat trap.

We have rain overalls for the lads so it’s actually easier to go out in wet weather than hot weather for us. But obviously would prefer a nice few dry days while we are there.
Thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:34   #48

The thing is, I don't think Center Parcs Langford is actually aimed at The Irish market.
I have a friend working there, who has told me the majority of the bookings for next year are from European countries.
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:36   #49
fits

^ I don’t get that. Wouldn’t you just go to the closest one as I’d imagine they are essentially the same.
Thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:42   #50
Odyssey 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits View Post
When you have very young kids strong sunlight can be difficult to manage too. We couldn’t go outside in last summers hot spell until after 6 pm as my old house was fully south facing and had no shade at all. It was a heat trap.

We have rain overalls for the lads so it’s actually easier to go out in wet weather than hot weather for us. But obviously would prefer a nice few dry days while we are there.
You should relocate to longford so
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 12:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
This will be a huge economic boost for Longford.
How so? People go there and don't leave...
06-01-2019, 12:49   #52
xzanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
Ireland is hugely popular with Europeans, Asians and Americans, so I believe that one will do well enough. People are willing to pay money for the peace of mind and ease of a resort holiday.
Yeah we went to Trabolgan a few years ago for the craic. The place was full to the gills of very, very well travelled folk*.
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:51   #53
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaretzi Thousands Sandbox

All the minimum wage job workers in the Parc will spend some of their income locally, there's the economic boost. They certainly won't be able to afford to stay in the Parc.
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzanti View Post
Yeah we went to Trabolgan a few years ago for the craic. The place was full to the gills of very, very well travelled folk*.
Would they have been fairly good at travelling?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 12:51   #55
Odyssey 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaretzi Thousands Sandbox View Post
Local Tesco will do well, end of.
06-01-2019, 12:52   #56
xzanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanufactured View Post
Would they have been fairly good at travelling?
The best.
Thanks from:
06-01-2019, 12:53   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbthedepths View Post
All the minimum wage job workers in the Parc will spend some of their income locally, there's the economic boost. They certainly won't be able to afford to stay in the Parc.
Is there that much unemployment in Longford already?
06-01-2019, 12:53   #58
Get Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits View Post
^ I don’t get that. Wouldn’t you just go to the closest one as I’d imagine they are essentially the same.
I don't think so. I mean there's center parcs in France that are huge with the UK market and yet the UK have center parcs of their own.

People still might want to go on a family holiday abroad but like the "all in" bit, particularly with young children.

I could understand why Longford will be bigger with families from abroad than with Irish families themselves (although you'll get a good few Irish families too)

Families from France, Germany etc with young children who may not have entertained travelling to Ireland until they're retired etc but understand the Center Parc model and can use Longford as a base. Or can leave the kids there with the grandparents while mam and dad do x.

There were a few press releases in French media two years ago about the project
https://lepetitjournal.com/dublin/tourisme-feu-vert-pour-la-construction-du-premier-center-parcs-irlandais-102585
06-01-2019, 12:53   #59
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaretzi Thousands Sandbox View Post
1,000 local jobs is going to have a fairly significant impact.

To put that into context, the combined population of the closest towns Longford, Ballymahon and Edgeworthstown is around 15,000. This is in an area that has some of the highest unemployment in the state (approaching 20% iirc).
06-01-2019, 12:54   #60
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaretzi Thousands Sandbox
Is there that much unemployment in Longford already?

No idea but new employment opportunities usually give an area an economic boost, even if the jobs are minimum wage.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion