Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2012, 13:06   #1
guitarzero

Adults living with their parents...

This post may(/must?) have been done but sure....

As someone in their late 20's living with their ma (and 2 siblings of late 20's), it's driving me up the wall. Unemployed and for the time being, dependent on her for a roof over my head. I give rent, daily job seek, get up around 9,10, do odds and ends around the house that need done and pretty much keep a bit of a low profile. Yet this does not curtail the underlying tension and arguments that spark out of nowhere. She's regularly stubborn, irrational and reactive which leads to needless arguments. Are all Irish mammy's like this? She's in her mid 50's and her behaviour is getting petty and ridiculous. These bouts are a feature now, myself as the regular target. There is no talking, its very much a defiant 'my way or the high way' kinda tripe.

I'm curious as to how other folks well into their 20's and upwards are managing living with their parents. Do they find themselves caught up in regular needless disputes? Of course theres 2 sides to every coin and I am not claiming to be an angel but these particular sparked reactions are the hall marks of a unbearable, irrational, petulant child.
Advertisement
25-08-2012, 13:08   #2
christmas2012
Banned

keep your low profile and take up some voluntary work in the meantime if you can manage it or even a job blocker like FAS or jobbridge..
Thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:09   #3
o1s1n

The idea of having to live in the family home again makes me feel ill. I get on with the folks really well, but that's mainly because I don't live with them. If I did, we'd all be killing each other.
(110) thanks from:
Abi, Aceandstuff, Ainekav, ameee, Andrew00, Any key?, Atomicjuicer, Banjoxed, Binky Bricktop, Birdie086, branbee, brembo26, brummytom, captbarnacles, Casillas, CB19Kevo, Chloris, Cienciano, coolisin, cristoir, cruiser178, Crumbs87, Daisy78, Daniel S, Danzy, dark crystal, DazMarz, discus, Doylers, Dr. Mantis Toboggan, Dub Ste, Duggy747, Duiske, Dull and Boring, El Guapo!, enda1, Faith, Fat Christy, flanzer, floggg, Fluorescence, foxinsox, GalwayKiefer, Glico Man, gmisk, Going Strong, GoneHome, G_R, HalloweenJack, hattoncracker, Hego Damask, hollster2, homemadecider, hoodwinked, Hooked, Icsics, inmyday, InstaSte, Iranoutofideas, IrishZeus, jimgoose, johnnykilo, Knex., kylith, LenaClaire, little bess, Lola92, martomcg, massdebater, metalfest, Millicent, MrAbyss, my my my, Nomis21, Not in Kansas, Oranage2, Pantsface, paudgenator, PhilOssophy, Phoenix Wright, previous user, PucaMama, pwurple, rainbowdrop, Rhinocharge, risenbass, RobFowl, Rubberlegs, saintsaltynuts, skooterblue2, Stavro Mueller, SteelyDanJalapeno, Stephen Gawking, stinkle, StinkyMunkey, sugarman, sunshine and showers, The Big Red Button, The Snipe, The Strawman Argument, Timberrrrrrrr, Tommybojangles, tommyboy2222, Ursus Horribilis, Vowel Movement, Whatsisname, whisky_galore, xzanti, yermandan, Zebra3
25-08-2012, 13:12   #4
3ndahalfof6

you need to leave Ireland, go to a country where there is work and get a job, your a big human now time to fly the nest and let mammy have a rest, it will do you the world of good.
25-08-2012, 13:13   #5
Harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzero View Post

As someone in their late 20's living with their ma (and 2 siblings of late 20's), it's driving me up the wall. Unemployed and for the time being, dependent on her for a roof over my head. I give rent, daily job seek, get up around 9,10, do odds and ends around the house that need done and pretty much keep a bit of a low profile. Yet this does not curtail the underlying tension and arguments that spark out of nowhere. She's regularly stubborn, irrational and reactive which leads to needless arguments. Are all Irish mammy's like this? She's in her mid 50's and her behaviour is getting petty and ridiculous. These bouts are a feature now, myself as the regular target. There is no talking, its very much a defiant 'my way or the high way' kinda tripe.

I'm curious as to how other folks well into their 20's and upwards are managing living with their parents. Do they find themselves caught up in regular needless disputes? Of course theres 2 sides to every coin and I am not claiming to be an angel but these particular sparked reactions are the hall marks of a unbearable, irrational, petulant child.
Has she always been like this or is it a more recent thing? Could she be maybe going through the 'change'?
Advertisement
25-08-2012, 13:14   #6
guitarzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ndahalfof6 View Post
you need to leave Ireland, go to a country where there is work and get a job, your a big human now time to fly the nest and let mammy have a rest, it will do you the world of good.
Last I checked the only place hiring is Australia, which brings with it all the other necessities i.e money. A few extra details would be handy...
(3) thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:14   #7

Quote:
Are all Irish mammy's like this?
Yes.
25-08-2012, 13:15   #8

Is the thread title not an oxymoron? Only kidding, I've experienced the same.

I guess the reality is she expected to have an empty house at this stage (regardless of how much she loves her children).

In the past we've had full blown arguments over hypothetical situations, then it's forgotten the next day.
(3) thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:16   #9
guitarzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
Has she always been like this or is it a more recent thing? Could she be maybe going through the 'change'?
This is the thing, it seems to be subtly progressive. It wasnt always like this, I cant tell if its circumstantial, biological or both.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2012, 13:16   #10
brembo26

I know a lad in a very secure full time job thats still living at home and he's 30. Of all people that should be getting that reaction of their mother its this lad :-P
(3) thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:20   #11
3ndahalfof6

Quote:
Last I checked the only place hiring is Australia, which brings with it all the other necessities i.e money. A few extra details would be handy...

someone help me out here, im at work.
Thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
Don't underestimate how much validity there could be in this suggested explanation. Honestly.
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:29   #13
cruais

Quote:

Menopause alert! Good luck op!
(4) thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:29   #14
meoklmrk91

I'm 21 and moved back home with the mammy for a number of reasons, to save money for college and to help her with the bills, to keep her company, she hates living on her own. it's worked out grand. She can be fierce annoying but then I assume I can too, stay out of each others way most of the time, I'm usually in college or gone to friends houses, it at home I am usually in my domain, my bedroom and she is in hers the living room. If she starts doing her mammy thing I am very good at tuning her out.

Try to spend a good few hours outside of the house everyday, whether you go to friends houses or volunteer or whatever, if your gone for most of the day she can't whine at ya.
Thanks from:
25-08-2012, 13:34   #15
Oranage2

I haven't lived at home for nearly 3 years but every now and then i still get my crazy ole wan ringing me in a fit of rage looking for unpaid rent and to clean my room. I don't know how anyone could put up with that everyday.

Mammys be crazy!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion