Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Letterman - scumbag?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Unfunny comedian, yes.

Scumbag...not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Plumgirth wrote: »
    He shagged women, big deal, cheating is normal and healthy for our species evolutionarily speaking.

Do you have a PHD in that?
    Would you be saying this if it were married women who had cheated?

Cheaters do not co-operate but benefit from others who do. They promote distrust and societal break down. Divorce and marital breakdown are often the results of cheating and can not really be said to be good for men, women, children or wider society. Benefiting from sexual reproduction without actually raising the kids is not good for society.

Cheating is selfish behavior and destroys co-operative institutions whether they be social or in business. It promotes mistrust.

I would say he made the working environment more difficult for others.

Women and men are built for sexual diversity, the culture of nominal monogamy has imparted people with a sense of possession of other people's sexuality, why should it matter if your partner wants to have sex with other people, let them, if you love someone you should want them to enjoy themselves and to express their natural sexual it rather than repressing it.
    You should try and get trinity to fund your phd.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

You should try and get trinity to fund your phd.

Crap joke. Letterman had affairs. Big deal. Sure, he shouldn't have been sleeping around with staff, but humans are humans, and when you spend hours every day around people sometimes relationships develop into something more intimate. As for his marriage, that's between him and his wife.

Letterman's brand of comedy? I wasn't a huge fan, but he has been hugely influential on so many comedians and is credited with putting irony on American television. He was a fine TV host, however.

Crap joke.
    I however have never been unfaithful. Beat that letterman you scumbag!

• Advertisement

A millionaire in his 40s with his own television show in New York has significant power over a student interning at the place where said show is filmed.

Regardless of whether Holly Hester thinks she was an equal in their 'relationship', she wasn't. It was seedy exploitation, plain and simple.

And he was a fucking shit TV host.

Should he only have sex with Barbra Streisand? Wait, she's more powerful than him, that would be her exploiting him. Maybe that Hester woman exploited him too, using his weakness as a means of advancing her career or whatever.

I take your point to the extent that there are many imbalances in a relationship. Each side may have sought to exploit each other. But the law really can only regulate very basic matters like age and consent, once those are ticked it really is hard to condemn someone for doing what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭SteM

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    ..... Jay Leno was far better IMO

The blandest of the bland as a late night host imo. He was on autopilot during his interviews.

:D
    Him with his millions and adulation ...he knows i beat him!

Suck that lemon letterman!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A millionaire in his 40s with his own television show in New York has significant power over a student interning at the place where said show is filmed.

Regardless of whether Holly Hester thinks she was an equal in their 'relationship', she wasn't. It was seedy exploitation, plain and simple.

And he was a fucking shit TV host.

Are you Holly Hester?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Him with his millions and adulation ...he knows i beat him!

Suck that lemon letterman!

Here we go again. Another "joke" from boards.ie's resident Jay Leno.

• Advertisement

Here we go again. Another "joke" from boards.ie's resident Jay Leno.
    Can I have my own tv show?:)

I for one think I am unfunny enough for my own tv show!

sen(234-α)+tan⁡(-156)+cos⁡(2 π/3)is... it was the summer of 69, oh yeah!

Oh yeah and SCUMBAG!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

zAbbo wrote: »
    Are those your drums?

He is no beginner. Haha

It's a question Tubridy would ask!

It's OK,27% were over 18 apparently

That's 27% of years added and not head count I guess.

Maybe nobody knows he is a recluse.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Maybe nobody knows he is a recluse.
    That makes it aallll ok.

I don't think he is anyway. It's not every reclusive.

Otherwise he would be ...cave letterman! :pac:

Letterman didn't do anything illegal. He just did something incredibly sleazy, dishonest, lecherous, stomach-churning, exploitative, predatory.

Who gives a f□ck then.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Who gives a f□ck then.
    In fairness no one but the op. We are just humoring him. :)

• Advertisement

That makes it aallll ok.

I don't think he is anyway. It's not every reclusive.

Otherwise he would be ...cave letterman! :pac:

Or he could change and become Bave Letterman. Spending his time trolling the internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

David letterman's importance in the overall evolution of US comedy on this side of SNL is pretty hard to overstate, his NBC was a huge departure from the kind of talk shows which were around at the time and everyone who's anyone in US comedy tends to cite it as a huge influence. It wasn't all down to him of course (shoehorning a reference to Chris Elliott here cos he was great ) but he was quite hands on and fought for his vision.

He's an old man now and really lost that edge quite early into his CBS run so he's no big loss but who judges Bob Dylan's legacy on the basis of his recent albums.

Eh, this is focusing on the "he sucks" comments rather than the infidelity stuff, I don't really know enough about it to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont know if it was paul schaffers(sp?) influence but they always had good musical guests too. He had good taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stumbled on this the other day, seemed fitting...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

27% is a significant proportion?!?
    Your maths are shockingly bad......

Well it is significant. It depends on the context I suppose. If 27% of people were unemployed then that would definitely be deemed a "significant" percentage. Maths has nothing to do with it.

But in the light of Savile's crimes it becomes even more significant when you say that ONLY 27% of the people he shagged/raped/abused were over 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He reminds me very much of the Jimmy Gator character in Magnolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

David letterman's importance in the overall evolution of US comedy on this side of SNL is pretty hard to overstate, his NBC was a huge departure from the kind of talk shows which were around at the time and everyone who's anyone in US comedy tends to cite it as a huge influence. It wasn't all down to him of course (shoehorning a reference to Chris Elliott here cos he was great ) but he was quite hands on and fought for his vision.

He's an old man now and really lost that edge quite early into his CBS run so he's no big loss but who judges Bob Dylan's legacy on the basis of his recent albums.

Eh, this is focusing on the "he sucks" comments rather than the infidelity stuff, I don't really know enough about it to say anything.

Conan O'Brien told a great story on his show about how Letterman helped him out in the early days when he took over Letterman's old slot. The show was doing terribly in the ratings, had been bashed by critics and was on the brink of cancellation when Letterman called up and said he wanted to appear on the show as a guest. Letterman never does guest appearances, but because Conan's show was doing so badly and he was the biggest TV host in the country at that point, he knew that appearing on the show would boost the ratings and he decided to offer Conan a hand. It's unlikely Conan would still have a career on television if Letterman hadn't done what he did, or at least that's how Conan perceives it.

Conan O'Brien is my personal favourite of the talkshow hosts in America, so I'm glad Letterman did a decent thing to keep him afloat.

Advertisement