Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Letterman - scumbag?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

So he ****ed some woman - so what? I hope he ****s more. I hope he ****s some 18-year-old waitresses. Good. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

These young women were totally innocent and naive with no ulterior motives?as they tend to be in the New York entertainment industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Was anyone else slightly baffled by the adulation for David Letterman that was all over the internet this week?

The man has almost no charisma. For evidence of this, see the abomination that was his hosting of the Oscars in 1995.

Not only that, he exploited his power at CBS to conduct multiple affairs with staff members.

When he was in his mid-40s, he bedded Holly Hester, an intern at the station and student at New York University. All while he was married to his wife, Regina Lasko.

The man should have been fired out on his ass after that revelation. Jonathan Ross' career was driven into the ground in Britain was something positively mild by comparison.

No doubt some will come to his defense, but remember, a significant portion of the girls Jimmy Savile had sex with were 18 and over (around 27%).

While what David Letterman did is not nearly as bad as what Savile did, it's still a much older male celebrity using his status as a television personality to sleep with much younger girls who have zero power in their relationship.

Couldn't agree more!

Some Tibetan Monks recently let slip that the Dalai Lama picks his nose ......... the dirty filthy disgusting b*****d!
    No doubt some will come to his defence but remember there is significant evidence that Adolf Hitler was also a nose picker!
    I accept that the Dalai Lama is not quite as bad as Hitler but they are both guilty of the same disgusting habit so ........ you know ........ they are basically the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

Some Tibetan Monks recently let slip that the Dalai Lama picks his nose ......... the dirty filthy disgusting b*****d!
    No doubt some will come to his defence but remember there is significant evidence that Adolf Hitler was also a nose picker!
    I accept that the Dalai Lama is not quite as bad as Hitler but they are both guilty of the same disgusting habit so ........ you know ........ they are basically the same. :rolleyes:

It's a very thin line between picking one's nose and hurling Jews into incinerators. Very ****ing thin line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's a very thin line between picking one's nose and hurling Jews .

Come on now , leave the GAA out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The man should have been fired out on his ass after that revelation. Jonathan Ross' career was driven into the ground in Britain was something positively mild by comparison.

Can't remember what this could relate to, but hasn't he had a talk show on the bbc and then itv for more than a decade now, hardly somebody who's careers been driven into the ground :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

OP, did Letterman crack a joke about your family or something?!
    I am not getting the lack of love for him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Regarding the OP... errrr ok......

Personally I never liked Letterman's brand of comedy (back when it was on Sky). Jay Leno was far better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We all would do the same if we had the chance. Probably be a lot worse tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

No doubt some will come to his defense, but remember, a significant portion of the girls Jimmy Savile had sex with were 18 and over (around 27%).

Any bit of an argument you had was destroyed by that desperate reach. I'm sure Jimmy Saville ate steak too. Does that make steak eaters questionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Don't worry op it'll happen. you just need to find the right girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

He isn't the first and won't be the last person to be unfaithful. It has zero bearing on how good he was at his job. The man's a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

By the OP logic.
    Greenmachine has slept with X people.
    Celebrity A, has also slept with X people including celebrity B.
    Therefore Greenmachine has also slept with celebrity B
    Just wish I could remember my celebrity endevours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

:D
    What the actual fuq? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

TV celebrity uses celebrity status to get laid :eek:

Say it ain't so OP :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

:D
    What the actual fuq? :pac:

I know,someone pulled me on saying its not a significant proportion....
    Well what the op seems to be defending is the fact this a little of a quarter of the people saville rode where actually over 18!

Wow!what a wonderful human being.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Some of them could have been dead too! Lovely guy, Saville.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Some of them could have been dead too! Lovely guy, Saville.

It's OK,27% were over 18 apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I've seen some leaps of logic on the internet but "He was a TV presenter who had consensual sex with women aged 18 and over, and you know who else fitted into that category? Jimmy Savile" is quite simply my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

A millionaire in his 40s with his own television show in New York has significant power over a student interning at the place where said show is filmed.

Regardless of whether Holly Hester thinks she was an equal in their 'relationship', she wasn't. It was seedy exploitation, plain and simple.

And he was a fucking shit TV host.

Not a fan then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

And he was a fucking shit TV host.

He really wasnt. The alternatives when he started out were Johnny Carson and Jay Leno, and he really changed things as far as he could considering the conservative nature of corporate controlled american network television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

kneemos wrote: »
    These young women were totally innocent and naive with no ulterior motives?as they tend to be in the New York entertainment industry.

It wasn't the women/woman who tried to blackmail him. It was some dude. He talked about it on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Are we all paedophile now father?

OP seems to have a major gripe with Letterman. I could take him or leave him personally. People that are a complete waste of time on telly are a lot close to home then American talks how hosts, that plank Kenny is hitting screens around UTV Ireland head office soon. Have a moan about him OP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Greenmachine has slept with X people.

Come on, don't be shy now. Solve for x. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Bill Clinton is a rapist. He raped Juanita Broaddrick. Maybe you don't believe Broaddrick, but I tend to side with the victim.

Clinton is worse than Letterman, and is closer to Savile in that regard

Letterman didn't do anything illegal. He just did something incredibly sleazy, dishonest, lecherous, stomach-churning, exploitative, predatory.

None of the websites fellating him on the internet this week felt the need to mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Bill Clinton is a rapist. He raped Juanita Broaddrick. Maybe you don't believe Broaddrick, but I tend to side with the victim.

And how do you know who the victim is, genius? how do you know Clinton isn't the victim of a false accusation?

some men work extremely hard, become successful acquire wealth and status and sleep with beautiful women.

some men obsess bitterly about the success of others and preach about moral superiority on internet forums while almost certainly never having been laid in their life.

i ask...(and op really ask yourself if you're at all interested in self-improvement) who is really the weirdo here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Letterman didn't do anything illegal. He just did something incredibly sleazy, dishonest, lecherous, stomach-churning, exploitative, predatory.

None of the websites fellating him on the internet this week felt the need to mention that.
    He is not the type of person you would want to be around but I am not sure I would like to live in a society that put in the saville category! It's quite important to mark immoral acts by matter of degree. There is a difference between vengeance and justice. Blackmail is opportunistic vengeance or simply opportunistic.

He is a ****...that's all though. The interns etc were of age. And they must have known he was married too. Not that their lack of morality makes what he did any better or anything.

I don't know he should get fired unless he actually harassed these women obviously then that is more serious. Sexual harassment or unwelcome touching in the office etc is different to the consensual affairs of people. Yes the power structure can influence things and he was totally morally wrong and dishonorable. But he does his job etc. It is his wife he wronged. He is was selfish etc. That is not societies problem.

Comparing him to saville actually makes me angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Are those your drums?

Advertisement