Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

fflynn wrote: »
    any idea what this is?

"not having his __"

(from findmypast petty sessions)

Possibly "Not having his car Labelled" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Possibly "Not having his car Labelled" ??
    thanks! his job at this time was 'Coachman' so this would match with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    not having his car....

Horse drawn cars and vans were required to carry the name and address of the owner. This was necessary, in the absence of registration numbers, to show who was liable in the event of misconduct, such as leaving the cart unattended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

tabbey wrote: »
    Horse drawn cars and vans were required to carry the name and address of the owner. This was necessary, in the absence of registration numbers, to show who was liable in the event of misconduct, such as leaving the cart unattended.

How 'bout that, and I didn't even know it. My eyesight must be getting better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Anyone able to decipher the witnesses to this marriage?

William Shehan and Farrell Horan?

21al3cm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It looks like the second witnesses forename has been omitted.
    "...William Skehan & _____ Farrell, P. Horan..."

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sometimes it's just down to the penmanship of the priest in question.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm not certain of all the names - as you've rightly pointed out there are inconsistencies in the handwriting.

My comment was more about the possible absence of the forename of the second witness.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

I wasn't disagreeing with you Hermy :( sorry if it sounded like I was. I just like stuff like looking at stuff like this is all. :)

Well done, spotting that name absence! :)

And I'm not disagreeing with you either DunnoKidz.:)

I'm just posting what I think I can see.

Sometimes it's impossible to be sure what is written down on these old registers but if enough people throw in their two cents - be they right, wrong or indifferent - I think it all helps towards figuring out the scribbles.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hey, Trying to find more on third entry, Mary Ellen Flynn. Think is says St Vincent's house / home Cabra? But can't find anything on the place. All help appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Hey, Trying to find more on third entry, Mary Ellen Flynn. Think is says St Vincent's house / home Cabra? But can't find anything on the place. All help appreciated thanks

Would this be it ?

http://www.docservice.ie/about-us-history.aspx

Dublin
    Central Management
    St. Vincent's Centre
    Navan Road
    Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thank you so much, I will contact them and see what info I can get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dianey57

Hello! I am looking for where Garnara would have been in 1863. According to a letter, a relative traveled from Corlea, Co. Clare to Garnara to visit a sick relative in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dianey57 wrote: »
    Hello! I am looking for where Garnara would have been in 1863. According to a letter, a relative traveled from Corlea, Co. Clare to Garnara to visit a sick relative in the hospital.

Maybe Garnarea Piltown/Fiddown area of Kilkenny?

Would be a heck of a distance to travel at that time though :(

Thank you johnboy1951! I have also found Granard, Co. Longford and Garraun, Co Clare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it a handwritten placename? Any chance it is beginning with C?
    Do you have an image of it?

The letter reads, "My father went to Garnara or Garuara on yesterday where Michael is in the hospital."

I will scan image and post when I'm home.

I posted this earlier, but assumed it might be personal (so I deleted).

Dunno if it helps as an additional point of reference, but this archived letter is on RootsWeb. Listed 1863, visiting Garnara hospital from Co. Clare.

• Advertisement

You are all much more skilled at handwriting deciphering than I, but I found this beginners handwriting helper with deciphering tips, on Ancestry. Not sure how they came up with this particular lettering though, as handwriting varies greatly by writer and date written... but it's a beginning reference point atleast.

422220.png

Thank you for your help! I will look into the  handwriting helper and see if I can come up with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

I would appreciate any thoughts on what the last two diagnosis are..first seems th be bronchitis and emphysema . Thanks in advance

Thank you. There is no T crossed in bronchitis, so I am thinking I see the word infarction of...? After that I am stuck!

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    You are all much more skilled at handwriting deciphering than I, but I found this beginners handwriting helper with deciphering tips, on Ancestry. Not sure how they came up with this particular lettering though, as handwriting varies greatly by writer and date written... but it's a beginning reference point atleast.

422220.png

The major omission from this is the absence of double ss, written in so many records as a long s followed by a short s, the long s looking like f or p. For example "Russell" looked to me like "Rupsell" or "Rufsell".

That double s was frequent in parish records well into the 1800s, but I rarely if ever found it in the Registry of Deeds, dating back to 1708.

Lucyspell wrote: »
    Thank you. There is no T crossed in bronchitis, so I am thinking I see the word infarction of...? After that I am stuck!

It is definitely bronchitis. The crossbar of the t is just pointing almost upwards, rather than to the right.

The only word that would come any way close,is bronchiectasis. This is not it.

Emphysema is also on cause of death list. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema was traditionally known as Chronic Obstructive Airway Daisease, (COAD), but in the last quarter century has become Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Probably reflects an American influence.

Actually now I think I see a very small mark as if the T is crossed in bronchitis..and the mystery word in diagnosis 3).It is a bit far out to the right.....
    I enlarged the writing quite a lot. It is a death cert from a woman in about 1950

Lucyspell wrote: »
    I enlarged the writing quite a lot. It is a death cert from a woman in about 1950

If it was less zoomed, we could see more of the script, and possibly recognise more of the doctor's style of handwriting.
    At present I cannot identify cause number 3.

What was cause number one? The first should be the ultimate cause of death, while the others should be contibutary factors, often of long standing, such as the second: "Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema".

• Advertisement

Thanks Tabbey
    I don't have the certificate as I just took a screen shot and saved it like that. (You could pay to view on line, I cannot remember the website now as it was quite a while ago)
    The first cause is Chronic Bronchitis, then Emphysema , it's just the last one that has me puzzled..
    Thanks again!

Advertisement