Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-08-2018, 13:11   #1
jogdish

All things Mavic Air

Hello,
If it's okay with the mods, I would like to start this thread to post all things related to the Mavic Air ( there are a few differences between it and the Pro, so perhaps best it have it's own thread ).

Guess I will introduce myself, first time DJI owner, got my Air and loving it, so easy to control and I have confidence in it not getting away from me. I am still getting to grips with editing movies but I don't have a very good PC. I usually take lower res small videos unedited and stills in RAW.
Personally I found the DJI manual to very lacking - I was fully set up to read a proper document with all the ins and outs, but instead it's just there to get you in the air as fast as possible, thankfully online/youtube has taught me a lot. Seagulls are a bloody curse, it's like a magnet to them.

How are other people flying? Are we all obeying the rules? Anyone paying the €1500 for the training? Range records ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 11:45   #2
Murflad

Getting my mavic air combo package on Friday. 1049euro in Harvey Norman. Went with the flame red.

Does it come with video editing software? if not, any recommendations?

I see that the Air uses Wifi for controls. I wonder is it limited to how high/far it can fly etc. Are the rules auto in forced when using the drone?
08-08-2018, 12:27   #3
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murflad View Post
Getting my mavic air combo package on Friday. 1049euro in Harvey Norman. Went with the flame red.

I see that the Air uses Wifi for controls. I wonder is it limited to how high/far it can fly etc. Are the rules auto in forced when using the drone?

Flame red here too! good choice.

Comes with no software, I have been using KDEnlive (its a linux thing), the mac movie editor ( dont think it can color grade ), tried DaVinci resolve - my poor PC gave up. Depends on the res you record in as to how much power you will need. PhotoscapeX is good for RAW stills.

The Air uses enhanced wifi - some marketing term, eh without saying something I perhaps should not it goes plenty far for me, google FCC hack fo mavic Air and never ever try it In saying that, I think having some fun in an open field not annoying anyone is fine, just stay away from buzzing over cities - although plenty examples on youtube of people using mavic pros over limerick/cork/dublin/galway - which I am almost certain is a no no.

Last edited by jogdish; 08-08-2018 at 12:45.
08-08-2018, 15:26   #4
ScrubsfanChris

Quote:

Really depends on what sort of system you have. If its slow then video editing will nothing but total frustration and waiting unfortunatly.

Try HitFilm Express, the sign up process is a bit laborious but you just have to sign up once and you're away.

It also has basic colour grading options which alot of the free editing programs do not.

If you're mister/misses money bucks then go for Premiere Pro
09-08-2018, 00:40   #5
Murflad

Thanks guys...HitFilm Express looks ok to use judjing by youtube. Was hoping DJI would have its own video editing software...anyways, are there regular firmware updates for the mavic air? or has it settled now that it has been released a few months.
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 12:11   #6
jogdish

Quote:
Thanks guys...HitFilm Express looks ok to use judjing by youtube. Was hoping DJI would have its own video editing software...anyways, are there regular firmware updates for the mavic air? or has it settled now that it has been released a few months.
Apart from the day I got it, have not had to update yet. One thing I should mention that is not made that clear, to update the mavic itself, you need the DJI program on your PC and the mavic plugged into the PC.
10-08-2018, 17:40   #7
theothernt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogdish View Post
Apart from the day I got it, have not had to update yet. One thing I should mention that is not made that clear, to update the mavic itself, you need the DJI program on your PC and the mavic plugged into the PC.
The Mavic can be updated using DJI Go app on your phone. A PC or Mac isn't required.
10-08-2018, 19:07   #8
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
The Mavic can be updated using DJI Go app on your phone. A PC or Mac isn't required.
oh thanks for that, did not know.
10-08-2018, 21:15   #9
theothernt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogdish View Post
oh thanks for that, did not know.
I was just reading your initial post - what resolution do you shoot video in, and why RAW for stills? do you use auto camera settings?
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 22:01   #10
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
I was just reading your initial post - what resolution do you shoot video in, and why RAW for stills? do you use auto camera settings?

Still playing around, so here is my thoughts:
4k the cleanest video - but huge and basically not possible to edit for me.
2k - clean and just about editable.
1080 60fps, tried lower fps but looks awful when moving at any speed, but 1080 is a little more grainy looking to me.

I tried the 120 fps option too, cool, but detail was not there. Basically once I seen the 1080+ res it's hard to go back.

I prefer the stills in RAW since allows me to change the white balance, exposure in post, have gotten amazing results with playing around.
12-08-2018, 22:34   #11
tedpan

Mod: Drones
Found the thread, thanks Jog!

So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

It was like somebody took over and disconnected the Air. Anyone else experience something like this?
12-08-2018, 22:41   #12

Return to home not set up right?
Was it in GPS mode?
12-08-2018, 22:42   #13
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpan View Post
Found the thread, thanks Jog!

So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

It was like somebody took over and disconnected the Air. Anyone else experience something like this?

Okay now Im freaked out!, sorry hate to ask the usual stuff but suppose no harm.
Had you calibrated correctly, any complaints on take off? Were you flying over any possible magnetic interference areas? Did you happen to check the busyiness of the wifi channels? As poster above says, how many GPS satellites did you have at take off?
I don't think someone can hijack one well easily anyway, when it loses connection it it meant to go to the RTH altitude and just fly home.
12-08-2018, 22:52   #14
tedpan

Mod: Drones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpud2
Return to home not set up right? Was it in GPS mode?

Nope, ready to fly and GPS was locked on. I fly a lot, really freaked me out.
12-08-2018, 22:58   #15
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpan View Post
Nope, ready to fly and GPS was locked on. I fly a lot, really freaked me out.

Losing control at 15m is very close, but has happened to me once and as far as I can remember it did wander on its own for a tiny bit, nothing like 50m.

Wish I could say why, had my mavic, 9hrs total flight time, plenty signal loses but thankfully zero issues like yours.

Is your phone officially supported for the Go 4 app?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion