Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift ideas for a colleague

Options
  • 29-04-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    We’ve been invited to a birthday of my husband’s colleague. What should we gift her? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ray367 wrote: »
    Hi
    We’ve been invited to a birthday of my husband’s colleague. What should we gift her? Thanks.

Depends on how close your husband is. If it's very much a colleague rather than friend thing I'd say a voucher for lunch out or something, if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If it’s a party at their home, then a bottle of prosecco or wine and a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ray367

Addle wrote: »
    If it’s a party at their home, then a bottle of prosecco or wine and a card.

They don’t drink and we are going for dinner at their home.

They don’t drink and we are going for dinner at their home.

Not really a big dinner party. Just two more friends and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A fancy candle from Kilkenny shop and a decent bouquet of flowers.
    If the couple are going all out cooking for everyone, I'd be suggesting €50 spend.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Depends on how close your husband is. If it's very much a colleague rather than friend thing I'd say a voucher for lunch out or something, if even.

They’re friends, not really good ones but yes they have good terms.
    I’ve no clue what to gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Can't beat a voucher. Handy way out.

A fancy candle from Kilkenny shop and a decent bouquet of flowers.
    If the couple are going all out cooking for everyone, I'd be suggesting €50 spend.

Yeah. Was just thinking about candles

Yeah. Was just thinking about candles

I'm only saying Kilkenny shop because that is the shop I go to for candles but any nice store that has a nice brand and will gift wrap it up with all the bells and whistles is perfect.
    Natural candles are very popular at the minute, with soya wax etc.
    Some people (like myself) don't like the synthetic ones and their smell but a natural one covers that issue.
    As a woman, I love a candle gift.
    A health food store would have an alcohol free beverage option either if they don't drink.
    Root beers or alcohol free wine or elderflower is gorgeous if you buy a bottle of sparkling water with it, makes gorgeous spritzer for the non drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

And as another woman, I can’t stand candles. Fire risk, dust gathering , smelly things. Cannot abide them. Straight into the charity bin with them, every time.

Flowers and a fancy box of chocolates or biscuits. As they are cooking, food related is probably going to be ok.

• Advertisement

You'll have to weigh up the 2 purple women's advice so, OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

pwurple wrote: »
    And as another woman, I can’t stand candles. Fire risk, dust gathering , smelly things. Cannot abide them. Straight into the charity bin with them, every time.

Flowers and a fancy box of chocolates or biscuits. As they are cooking, food related is probably going to be ok.

Id say your birthdays are great craic so ……… :D

"Virtual candle" on the cake :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TCM wrote: »
    Can't beat a voucher. Handy way out.

A voucher for what?

Don't like voucher nowadays with so many shops going bust and vouchers losing their worth. Cash is a better voucher.

Seeing as they like cooking I'd give something like a cooking book or some food. Try and find out what they like, maybe some chocolates, cheeses, gift hamper of some sort.

Also, who really wants a candle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

murpho999 wrote: »
    A voucher for what?

Don't like voucher nowadays with so many shops going bust and vouchers losing their worth. Cash is a better voucher.

Seeing as they like cooking I'd give something like a cooking book or some food. Try and find out what they like, maybe some chocolates, cheeses, gift hamper of some sort.

Also, who really wants a candle?

I love candles.. would be delighted with such a gift. Vouchers are so impersonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

While I could take or leave a candle, I would think that bringing someone a voucher, let alone cash as a gift for such an event a bit unnecessary.

You're not being asked to defacto pay for your supper here OP. A token gift is fine in my opinion. I think flowers/chocolates/a plant etc are appropriate without being over the top.

I'd probably be embarrassed if I invited someone over for dinner and they gave me a voucher/cash.

Advertisement