Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrightBurn - James Gunn horror Superman story?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Average yes but not bad either , i enjoyed it tbh but they could have made a lot more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I seen this today. I thought it was slow to start off but then got good and there was plenty of suspense in it too but nothing that scared or surprised me.

It was kind of like a horror sci-fi film.

I have to say I laughed at a few parts but overall I would say that child would be your worst nightmare.

Would give 5.5 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as said it needed to expand to a more global setting for the ending
    if there is a sequel are we going to see the rise of a hero to combat him or just good old human ingenuity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

After most reviews, I was expecting a sh!tshow, but I thought was pretty entertaining. A solid 3 out 5 stars.

Only 90 minute running time - any film coming in at that duration gets extra brownie points in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Like a what if story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

I enjoyed it. Agree with the above - solid 3 out of 5.

I the credits scene with Michael Rooker was interesting.
    He talks of sinister versions of Aquaman (attacking a ship) and Wonder Woman - a witch who is able to make people tell the truth.

Good performances from Elizabeth Banks and David Denman.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to say I enjoyed it a lot.

It was what I was expecting it to be.

I'd happily watch a few more if they make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought it was not very good at all, felt like a made for TV movie. I think I expected it to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was not very good at all, felt like a made for TV movie. I think I expected it to be better.

It was a low-budget film to be fair. I think it did very well with what it had to play with, though I think the middle part could've been fleshed out more/better.

Like when you consider a typical Marvel/DC movie would have $150m budget, this had something like $8m.

I enjoyed it, it was entertaining, some of the deaths were extreme and unsettling especially when you see a young child doing it.

I think it latched onto the whole Marvel DC genre, and even if you liked it or hated it the film was gong to do well, and it did for a modest budget also.

Really liked the ending with Michael Rooker, hopefully a part 2 in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed it, it was entertaining, some of the deaths were extreme and unsettling especially when you see a young child doing it.

I think it latched onto the whole Marvel DC genre, and even if you liked it or hated it the film was gong to do well, and it did for a modest budget also.

Really liked the ending with Michael Rooker, hopefully a part 2 in the works.

I think it's partly the reason The Boys is doing so well....feeds into the general comic universe, but is completely anti-everything the cinematic universe has thrown at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Made me think what if Superman's alter ego was Damien Thorn.
    So the aunt survived? Expected the bully to get hurt in some way.
    The fact Michael Rooker mentioned "Aquaman", "Wonder Woman", "Flash" and "Martian Manhunter" made me think there wouldn't be a sequel. But just looking at Wikipedia now it looks like there might be and they've already done a "Split" on it and tied it into an existing movie by having Crimson Bolt from Super being that "Flash" picture.

Random comment, but I remember Erica from her time on Joan of Arcadia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watched this last week and thought it was pretty solid.

Fairly low budget, a nice 90 min length. Interesting concept well executed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Watched it last night, perfectly serviceable. Like most posters in this thread it seems, I wasn't blown away by it. Fine for the budget it had, and also it clocks in at a decent 90 minute mark. You dont get allot of movies doing that these days.

I was more interested in a shared universe they might setup. the Crimson Bolt (Rain Wilson) is already a dark Batman analogue, just need to do a MerMan and\or Witch movie then tie them in for a crossover movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched it last night, perfectly serviceable. Like most posters in this thread it seems, I wasn't blown away by it. Fine for the budget it had, and also it clocks in at a decent 90 minute mark. You dont get allot of movies doing that these days.

I was more interested in a shared universe they might setup. the Crimson Bolt (Rain Wilson) is already a dark Batman analogue, just need to do a MerMan and\or Witch movie then tie them in for a crossover movie.

Low-budget supervillain-origin horror.

It's got plenty of legs as a niche horror genre, as the $6 million dollar investment has got an overall return of $31 million so far.

I thought it was quite entertaining in relation to the concept and its execution, if a bit slow in the first half- 6/10.

Advertisement