Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrightBurn - James Gunn horror Superman story?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,341 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What if Superman was evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Injustice is Superman gone bad I am assuming it's where Justice League will head in the future. This looks good though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up; very much a more plot focused one, and TBH it's so heavily cribbing the Superman story (but with evil child), I'm almost wondering if somewhere in DC Legal, lawyers are checking copyright law :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm wondering if they're thinkin shared universe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they're thinkin shared universe..
    If done right (unlikely based on past experience) that could turn out to be an excellent storyline!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's a good premise. Would have worked well for an actual Superman film focused on Martha and Jonathan Kent's struggles to raise Clark, who is tempted by evil rather than being innately good. This looks like it's just going the opposite direction by making him innately evil, though maybe not.

Warning: Gore

This continues to creep me out:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, this really looks like 2 hours of inverted Superman nods; the trailers do seem to spoil any ambiguity here about the child's intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't DC Comics have an inverted Superman, Ultraman? He's a member of the alternative universe version of the Justice League.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I really like what they are doing with this. While the parallels to superman are incredibly obvious, I dont want to see this be an actual DC or general superhero property. I would love to see where this goes, if anywhere with the sequels.

While I loved Akira, I felt Chronicle was sorely lacking in just about every department.

If we get our own dark/alt comic book esque movies, like this, I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

[PHP][/PHP]

If we get our own dark/alt comic book esque movies, like this, I'll be Happy.

Cool, I'll be Grumpy. We just need five more dwarves and a Snow White.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

[PHP][/PHP]

Cool, I'll be Grumpy. We just need five more dwarves and a Snow White.
    Reporting for duty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nice use of beetlejuicing

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Boards.IE Dark Universe, coming 2030. I mean, it will be better than the Universal Dark Universe, right?

I eh... kinda don't want a scary Superman film anymore...

:(

So assuming the kid doesn't just win and kill everyone, I guess there'll either be a convenient shard of ... I dunno, Creptonite that can kill him, or else will be defeated by local genius scientist, Rex Ruthor :D

Nathan Fillion will appear and save the day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That looks good, i'm just worried they'll make a typical happy ending to it. Like, there should be nothing that could take this kid down in a world where Superheroes don't appear to exist. Like, invincible, flight, laser eyes, super strength... Unless Batkid is about! June 16th release over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its a 12a!? on no its a 16 http://www.ifco.ie/en/ifco/pages/85041F620033569D weird just watched gozilla and the trailer for this had a 12a symbol on it, oh i guess it was 12a trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this getting a release here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this getting a release here?
    19th of June, says filmdates.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Saw this in Canada. Pretty decent. Not gonna change the world but a bit of fun.

The characters were not too annoying. The kid was good. Quite chilling at times.

Worth a watch but dial back expectations a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The trailers are on a pretty much constant loop on Channel4 online. So much so that they're actually putting me *off* a movie I was initially interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Saw it tonight and thought it was pretty decent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it last night and thought it was a mixed bag :/ worth noting I had thought it was written rather than just produced by James Gunn. One thing I thought was sorely missed was Gunn's humour.

For a film that has a good number of genuinely creepy scenes it feels constantly obligated to throw in stupid jumpscare moments, which undermines the tension somewhat. And the pacing felt off to me - like
    the kid goes evil not far after halfway through, and from there it's just him being Evil Child Superman
    . Oddly, where I normally feel films take too long to tell their stories, Brightburn feels like a film that's had too much cut away from its middle act.

The kid was good, but none of the characters were really fleshed out enough and as a result most of the adults in the film except the mum come off as complete arseholes -
    most jump from "oh, here is a child I know who might need help or support" to "AAAAAH DEVIL CHILD!" with little prodding, because the film acts as though these characters know what the audience knows.

The
    mid credits scene with Michael Rooker as a crazed YouTube conspiracy theorist
    was great, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just watched it there. Massive superman fan so delighted with how it ended. Not normal auld bull**** ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not a bad film was expecting a bit more humour in it.

Good ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It was decent, the small town setting, the characters etc were pretty much what I was expecting. Should've been better though, the ending could've been ramped up to nation or world under siege level, military and whatnot dumbfounded as to how to deal with a threat that couldn't be planned for.
    As it stands the ending just suggests a sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty decent, though as someone said above I did feel like it was missing something from the middle act, the escalation could definitely have been handled a little better and more convincingly.

Solid film though overall, they did a lot with a small budget and played very much to their strengths. The kid was great too.

• Advertisement

average really let's be honest.

Advertisement