Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Should help keep the marginal milk flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

jaymla627 wrote: »

26 tonne?

26 tonne?

32 ton, auger to be fitted for filling straight into diet-feeder as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭straight

Prefer spirofeed myself. Someone wouldn't want to let the hatch open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Bloody hell - dread to think what it would take to fill it

Funny enough we have only used 26 ton of meal in total so far this year (to last Friday).

I think we are at opposing ends of the meal feeding scale!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have two 12 tonne and one 4 tonne Crowley bins here. One of the 12 hooked to parlour feeders and the others are on taller legs with a shoot coming out so can fill the loader bucket. Shouldn't have bothered with the 4 tonne, got it with the 12 alongside it prob would have worked out as cheap to have gotten two 12's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

https://twitter.com/tom_hubert/status/1130880260696883201?s=19

Justin a simple piece about protected urea. Used a few ton of it this last month as a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

Is there much in the difference price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

hempel wrote: »
    Is there much in the difference price wise

I don't know, I only bought 2 ton and can't remember the price difference now. I'll get a look at the docket in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Artic load ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The dairy beef index is a complete joke. That particular set of results looks like a typical teagasc put up job where they were given a set of answers and headed off then to figure out what the questions were. Tbh I'd be expecting pure pedigree ho bulls to have a 20% heavier carcass than that in 250 days less. We got our DBI report back a few weeks ago. The bull with (by their figures) the heaviest carcass weight at the youngest age had the lowest DBI figures. A ho cross bb bull calf could easily have a 13kg heavier carcass than a Xbred cross angus/Hereford calf at birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    Do the powers that be operate a Galway tent there too?

If only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Haven't been to a discussion group meeting in ages so sent eldest lad this morning hope he doesn't come back converted to jex and all spring calving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Haven't been to a discussion group meeting in ages so sent eldest lad this morning hope he doesn't come back converted to jex and all spring calving...

I can envision an argument

Fairplay, he'll come back wondering what's the story with the land down the road as well

Our AI man told us a neighbour (he wouldn't say which one!!) asked him to serve the first of his cows but to make the dockets out for 1 week later so that he would have better service rate, calving interval etc

whats the point!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Panch18 wrote: »
    Our AI man told us a neighbour (he wouldn't say which one!!) asked him to serve the first of his cows but to make the dockets out for 1 week later so that he would have better service rate, calving interval etc

whats the point!!

Would it be anything to do with selling calves earlier?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whats the point!!
    The icbf performance report would look better for banks, selling surplus heifers etc. maybe?

The dairy beef index is a complete joke. That particular set of results looks like a typical teagasc put up job where they were given a set of answers and headed off then to figure out what the questions were. Tbh I'd be expecting pure pedigree ho bulls to have a 20% heavier carcass than that in 250 days less. We got our DBI report back a few weeks ago. The bull with (by their figures) the heaviest carcass weight at the youngest age had the lowest DBI figures. A ho cross bb bull calf could easily have a 13kg heavier carcass than a Xbred cross angus/Hereford calf at birth.

I wouldn't argue with you on that as both are totally different animals but the point was that maternal beef characteristics, ie Jex v Hox, would have a lower than expected (by the majority on social media anyway) effect on the finished animal when using the same sire.

• Advertisement

whats the point!!

Always one awkward bollix...

straight wrote: »

Are they not just fooling themselves in the long run?

That's it exactly, only codding themselves

That's what I think too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

straight wrote: »

It's only a Willy Waving stunt for his discussion group.....

A few bales in the bank, 3.7 to the acre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

whats the point!!

There's ###k arsing going on on a number of fronts to increase the ebi of animals, particularly in some "bull mother" farms. One of the best is to register the first calving of a heifer in March, and she will then calve in Feb next year etc putting out an enviable calving interval which will be reflected in an increased ebi over the few years.

Her "March born" heifer will "calve" on 24 months....and then again after 11, just like Ma...

Well he came home and really enjoyed it. Learnt a lot and everyone welcomed him. I had texted the teagasc advisor to make sure it was OK he went. Was talking about it all evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Put rinse water in tank yesterday and rang my milk advisor who seems to be helpless to do anything about it. He then informed me that water in milk was worse than antibiotics.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Put rinse water in tank yesterday and rang my milk advisor who seems to be helpless to do anything about it. He then informed me that water in milk was worse than antibiotics.

Better off saying nothing. Solids will be lower for that collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Water will be picked up straightaway. Have the tshirt. A very small amount will show.

He’s been a tad dramatic to be fair, your going to get a fair fine though depending on the % of water to milk in the tank on the full months supply, shouldnt of opened your mouth and played dumb might never of copped it

Water will be picked up straightaway. Have the tshirt. A very small amount will show.

Mine is about 3%, happened a few years ago as well and said nothing and that was the end of it.

He’s been a tad dramatic to be fair, your going to get a fair fine though depending on the % of water to milk in the tank on the full months supply, shouldnt of opened your mouth and played dumb might never of copped it

The thing is when I dried off the cows in January I left a note for the last collection and put more milk in the tank with water to feed to weanlings and a different driver came at 4am and collected the milk. 9% water and got a hefty fine. Rang the advisor and he said he’d cancel the last collection but did f all. So That’s why I rang him this time as I’ll be milking for nothing this month if they detect water a second time in the same year.

I know protein especially.

• Advertisement

Put nearly 14k liters down the drain over the weekend. They initially told me to await the test, but then said that they wouldn’t take it because it’s going for baby formula and too much risk. Another milking had gone in at that stage. No insurance either...

Good neighbors.
    I planted 38ha of maize for a neighbor last week because his ‘big’ tractor had a fairly large breakdown. Fair enough.

We’re busy planting sunflowers atm and also knocked a lash of Lucerne for bales. I couldn’t afford staff to draw them in until at least next week, so on comes yer man with two trailers and a telescopic and gets dug in. I met him just now and thanked him...his maize is already over ground so he said it’s the least he could do....I didn’t mention that there’s nearly 1k bales made.

Any sign of another fodder crisis on the horizon...?
    Quality wraps at affordable prices...:).

Good neighbors.
    I planted 38ha of maize for a neighbor last week because his ‘big’ tractor had a fairly large breakdown. Fair enough.

We’re busy planting sunflowers atm and also knocked a lash of Lucerne for bales. I couldn’t afford staff to draw them in until at least next week, so on comes yer man with two trailers and a telescopic and gets dug in. I met him just now and thanked him...his maize is already over ground so he said it’s the least he could do....I didn’t mention that there’s nearly 1k bales made.

Any sign of another fodder crisis on the horizon...?
    Quality wraps at affordable prices...:).

I'm sure we could organise one for ya

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'm sure we could organise one for ya

There’s 600t sold to a dealer, so there won’t be too many left. Most of the Lucerne will be destroyed and maize, sorghum and sunflowers planted.
    Intermediary cover crop and no nitrogen needed.
    No Nitrate Derogation doesn’t have to mean the end of the world.

There’s 600t sold to a dealer, so there won’t be too many left. Most of the Lucerne will be destroyed and maize, sorghum and sunflowers planted.
    Intermediary cover crop and no nitrogen needed.
    No Nitrate Derogation doesn’t have to mean the end of the world.

One thing ive often meant to ask you in relation to nitrates is what os your stocking rate over whole farm

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »
    One thing ive often meant to ask you in relation to nitrates is what os your stocking rate over whole farm

Tiny.
    Mostly cereal acres.
    Doesn’t matter about stocking rates because nitrates are calculated from the soil sample analysis and total fym/litter/slurry used. Samples of which are also analyzed.
    Those soil samples are taken to 90cm deep. We also do a lot of straw-for-muck swaps with a lot of chicken/turkey/duck litter being imported.
    Some fellas are in real bother to get rid of litter because the hectares needed are being expanded yearly.
    Time is very near when money will be paid to get rid of it. As it stands there are guys that take it for free, compost it, and then sell to farmers.
    Wasn’t it last year the Dutch were paying to transport and dump slurry into France? Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grass seeds we set 11 days ago starting to show themselves now

Grass seeds we set 11 days ago starting to show themselves now

Bit of dew there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bit of dew there too

Yeah been a nice bit there lately. Will keep things ticking along somewhat!

How are lads solids holding.? Protein doing well at 3.61 but bf being stubborn at the same for the last test., 3.61 have changed ration to include the actisaf and they also have straw available. They are healthy otherwise condition holding and bulling. Yield at around 29. Have no result got since straw available so will see if that makes any odds, they don't seem too interest in it only going for a scratch, a mouthful or two may be

Put nearly 14k liters down the drain over the weekend. They initially told me to await the test, but then said that they wouldn’t take it because it’s going for baby formula and too much risk. Another milking had gone in at that stage. No insurance either...
    Ouch!

Tiny.
    Mostly cereal acres.
    Doesn’t matter about stocking rates because nitrates are calculated from the soil sample analysis and total fym/litter/slurry used. Samples of which are also analyzed.
    Those soil samples are taken to 90cm deep. We also do a lot of straw-for-muck swaps with a lot of chicken/turkey/duck litter being imported.
    Some fellas are in real bother to get rid of litter because the hectares needed are being expanded yearly.
    Time is very near when money will be paid to get rid of it. As it stands there are guys that take it for free, compost it, and then sell to farmers.
    Wasn’t it last year the Dutch were paying to transport and dump slurry into France? Crazy.

Ah yeah mo bother farming without fertilizer if you have plenty land.who knows how things ill pan put but ypu have to work with the system that therel.the way things are going around here there ll be plenty land for everyone

Interesting article in the Journal today. Johnes in herds can lead to both false positives and negatives during TB testing.
    Check out this Article I found - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/johne-s-link-to-wrong-tb-result-465657

Interesting article in the Journal today. Johnes in herds can lead to both false positives and negatives during TB testing.
    Check out this Article I found - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/johne-s-link-to-wrong-tb-result-465657

That's behind a paywall but vet here always said testing for johnes would be a disaster on its own not a mind in high tb areas. He has seen our herd 3 or four times a year and we also were in the first johnes testing thing a number of years ago and is of the opinion it's not an issue here.
    The fact that testing for both is not accurate enough makes me sceptical of anything put out about them tbh. Who put forward that article?

K.G. wrote: »
    Ah yeah mo bother farming without fertilizer if you have plenty land.who knows how things ill pan put but ypu have to work with the system that therel.the way things are going around here there ll be plenty land for everyone

No bother farming with a lot less fertilizer, but that’s another story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement