Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Watching a Belgian crime series, Undercover, based on true events. Worth a watch, have 2 episodes to go but so far so good. When you start watching it though Netflix dubs English over the original Flemish language. Would recommend putting on English sub-titles or you feel like you are watching Kung Pow

And then there is me. Dutch.

So there is French, Flemish dialect and Dutch spoken.

So i have the English subs on because there arent Dutch subs on netflix uk\ire which is fine for the parts that are in french and Flemish dialect but confusing as hell for the Dutch parts.
    It is a challenge....

But at least it is realistic and not like in Baptiste where the bbc thought they could get away with Flemish people playing Dutch police officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

inforfun wrote: »
    And then there is me. Dutch.

So there is French, Flemish dialect and Dutch spoken.

So i have the English subs on because there arent Dutch subs on netflix uk\ire which is fine for the parts that are in french and Flemish dialect but confusing as hell for the Dutch parts.
    It is a challenge....

But at least it is realistic and not like in Baptiste where the bbc thought they could get away with Flemish people playing Dutch police officers.

I watch all Netflix material with sub-titles due to a slight hearing problem to say the least. When I started watching Undercover in English and then English sub-titles the two didn't match up so I understand where you are coming from. That's why I resorted to the original language and English subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I immediately found the dubbing on Undercover extremely grating so went with the English subtitles. Only one episode in but it was a good one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I prefer to watch shows in their original language and then with English subtitles.

I didn’t particularly like the German language but since watching a lot of shows in German, I think it’s quite a nice language now. I also think it seems to add to the show, like if I’m watching a film about the nazis I think it’s much better in the German language. Just makes it that bit more real.

Same here, but Undercover defaults to the dubbing and the voice over at the beginning had me thinking it was in English until the first characters have a discussion on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

See You Yesterday is a strange one - admired it more than I liked it. I really appreciate how baldly it tackles the social issues it raises - nobody will mistake this for a subtle commentary on police brutality, but to so bluntly explore it through a genre setup is refreshing to see. Also loved how affectionately it captured the Bronx setting and characters.

But sadly a lot of it simply didn't work for me. It was clearly a debut feature, and one that was extended from a short. Visually there were some cool ideas but a lot of it came across as jarringly restricted by budget. And sadly the story was all over the place, albeit with moments where it came together. Didn't think it ever fully settled on what exactly it wanted to be.

As said, I do admire it though - I think it's great that these sorts of stories are being told from perspectives usually neglected by sci-fi and genre fiction. Wish I could say I liked the film itself more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The 12th Man is a toe-curling but inspiring survival movie about a Norwegian spy who has to get across the border to neutral Sweden during WWII despite a huge man hunt for him by the Nazis. 9/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

The 12th Man is a toe-curling but inspiring survival movie about a Norwegian spy who has to get across the border to neutral Sweden during WWII despite a huge man hunt for him by the Nazis. 9/10

yep very good 8/10

Jonathan (Duplicate)
    Two siblings share a body, each getting it for 12 hours a day. But when one of them breaks the rules, their whole way of life comes crashing down.

Wanda Sykes: Not Normal
    Wanda Sykes tackles politics, reality TV, racism and the secret she'd take to the grave in this rollicking, no-holds-barred stand-up special.

Agatha Christie's Crooked House
    When a detective investigates the death of his ex-lover's grandfather, he uncovers secrets about the tycoon's manipulative family.

added today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched the Ted Bundy tapes. Nice neat production, I was happy it was four episodes long, I'm sure it would have been easy to make it into a 10 parter.

For someone that didnt know anything other than his name, wow, what a crazy story and a crazy guy. Hard to believe its real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

peteeeed wrote: »
    Jonathan (Duplicate)
    Two siblings share a body, each getting it for 12 hours a day. But when one of them breaks the rules, their whole way of life comes crashing down.

Wanda Sykes: Not Normal
    Wanda Sykes tackles politics, reality TV, racism and the secret she'd take to the grave in this rollicking, no-holds-barred stand-up special.

Agatha Christie's Crooked House
    When a detective investigates the death of his ex-lover's grandfather, he uncovers secrets about the tycoon's manipulative family.

added today

Jonathan is a film with an absolutely ridiculous premise kept alive by a great performance by Ansel Elgort as Jonathan/John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

started watching Easy - am enjoying the short stories even though some annoying characters .. Marc Maron is quite good in it if shouty but that's his character !

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Has anyone seen Workin' Moms? I think it may be more for the gals but I found it great, very funny in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

And I totally understand why Black Mirror might not appeal to everyone for this reason. I share it, though more toward apocalypticism than stories about very real human failings and social anxieties, especially when (as in the best Black Mirror episodes) there's a sense of catharsis. But it's also why I think it is dystopia done really well. As opposed to something like The Handmaid's Tale which I think is utter sh*t and more about pandering to the audience's twisted fantasies than their anxieties.

Black Mirror and The Handmaid's Tale are both series done well in my opinion. Both are also totally unlike each other. The former is more of a Twilight Zone type series and the latter is the depiction of a misogynist tyranny. Both series are not for everyone as with Game of Thrones, many have been claiming that much of what is depicted gets too close to reality even if these shows are entirely fictional.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Taiga wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Workin' Moms? I think it may be more for the gals but I found it great, very funny in parts.

I liked it, and I'm a guy :D
    Actually I enjoyed it so much I ended up watching the next 2 seasons released on the US via alternative means

A Tale of Two Kitchens
    Mexico City restaurant star Gabriela C�mara opens sister eatery Cala in San Francisco, with a similar menu and unusually welcoming kitchen culture

Furie
    When traffickers kidnap her daughter from their village, vengeful Hai Phuong returns to Saigon -- and her outlaw roots -- to take down the abductors.

The Man Who Feels No Pain (Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota)
    Leveraging his ability to withstand pain, a young man trains to follow in the footsteps of his martial-arts hero in this high-action, meta comedy.

added today

Taiga wrote: »

Yeah, watched it with my wife and it's quite enjoyable, even relatable at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Got around to finishing Sex Education and I enjoyed it. The faux American high school setting in Britain and some of the plot lines you can see coming a mile off is a bit odd but the cast are all great in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I decided to finish House of Cards last night, having not watched Season 6 when it launched. And, well, that was a disappointing example of diminishing returns. Robin Wright did what she could with her performance but the plot was rushed, as was the development of the Shepherds. They also overused the device of characters speaking to camera.

Honestly, if anyone was coming to it now and hadn't seen any of it, I'd probably say just watch the first season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Got a few mentions here but not recently as far as i can find.

Comedians in cars getting coffee with\from Jerry Seinfeld is a good way to spend 15\20 minutes when you don't want to go to bed just yet

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fysh wrote: »
    I decided to finish House of Cards last night, having not watched Season 6 when it launched. And, well, that was a disappointing example of diminishing returns. Robin Wright did what she could with her performance but the plot was rushed, as was the development of the Shepherds. They also overused the device of characters speaking to camera.

Honestly, if anyone was coming to it now and hadn't seen any of it, I'd probably say just watch the first season.

I never made it through season 3. Even the first two seasons I found a bit of slog tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

inforfun wrote: »
    Got a few mentions here but not recently as far as i can find.

Comedians in cars getting coffee with\from Jerry Seinfeld is a good way to spend 15\20 minutes when you don't want to go to bed just yet

That's exactly when I watch it. Some of them are great and the meh ones are over quickly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭dougm1970

just watched 'the 12th man' tonight....thought it was so good, best film i watched in a while.

"Having been forced to abort a 1943 raid on occupied Norway, Jan Baalsrud (Thomas Gullestad) is faced with enduring an Arctic winter and relying on the kindness of strangers, as he seeks to cross into neutral Sweden before he can be apprehended by Gestapo colonel, Kurt Stage (Jonathan Rhys Meyers)."

• Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tom Cruise's The Mummy added this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first episode of I Think You Should Leave last night, very funny.

Cartel Land
    In the Mexican state of Michoacán, Dr. Jose Mireles, a small-town physician known as "El Doctor," shepherds a citizen uprising against the Knights Templar, the violent drug cartel that has wreaked havoc on the region for years. Meanwhile, in Arizona's Altar Valley—a narrow, 52-mile-long desert corridor known as Cocaine Alley—Tim "Nailer" Foley, an American veteran, heads a small paramilitary group called Arizona Border Recon, whose goal is to halt Mexico’s drug wars from seeping across our border.

The Lonely Island Presents: The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience
    The Lonely Island spoofs notorious baseball stars Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire in this visual rap album set in the Bash Brothers' 1980s heyday.

the mummy(tom cruise version )

added today

Coming in June
    1st June
    Arthdal Chronicles
    Arthdal Chronicles depicts the birth of civilization and nations in ancient times. It is a story of mythical heroes, their struggle, unity and love of people living in a virtual land called Arth. The storyline of Arthdal Chronicles is centered around the ancient city of Arthdal, established on Arth. Eunseom relentlessly fights to protect his own tribe and has strong protective instincts. Tagon is very charismatic and most talented, yet overwhelmingly dangerous. Tanya is the successor of Wahan Tribe clan mother, who realizes her destiny to protect her own people against other powerful tribes. Taealha is the most beautiful lady in Arthdal, and has the strongest desire for power.

Oh, Ramona!
    Awkward 16-year-old Andrei is infatuated with his alluring but aloof schoolmate Ramona — until he meets stunning hotel clerk Anemona while on vacation
    Bad Teacher
    Horrible Bosses
    Little Fockers
    Snatch
    A Royal Affair
    Mystic Pizza
    Transformers: The Last Knight
    What a Girl Wants
    Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
    The Guilty

3rd June
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Tom Holland slings webs like he was born to do it in this hugely entertaining superhero flick.

Malibu Rescue: The Series
    On the heels of Junior Rescue training, Team Flounder returns to brave the beach in a series of thrilling saves and lighthearted laughs.

4th June
    Miranda Sings Live… Your Welcome

5th June
    Black Mirror: Season 5

Happy!: Season 2
    Newly sober-ish, Nick struggles to be a solid family man during the Easter season even as villains arise that threaten to unloose his personal demons.

6th June
    Despicable Me 3

Alles ist gut
    A woman sexually assaulted by her new boss’s brother-in-law tries to move on as if nothing happened, but the night weighs heavily on her mind and body.

7th June
    The Chef Show
    Cooking is a journey. And making a meal is about more than just food. It’s about appreciating friends, family and tradition. An opportunity to come together. To learn, to share and to celebrate different flavors, cultures and people. In The Chef Show actor/director Jon Favreau and award-winning Chef Roy Choi reunite after their critically acclaimed film Chef to embark on a new adventure. The two friends experiment with their favorite recipes and techniques, baking, cooking, exploring and collaborating with some of the biggest names in the entertainment and culinary world. From sharing a meal with the Avengers cast in Atlanta, to smoking brisket in Texas with world-renowned pitmaster Aaron Franklin, to honoring the legendary food critic Jonathan Gold in Los Angeles – Favreau and Choi embrace their passion for food, but more importantly their love for bringing people together over a delicious meal.

The Black Godfather
    An expansive look at the exceptional life and legacy of Clarence Avant, one of the most influential dealmakers in music, entertainment, and politics over the last 60 years.

Rock My Heart
    A thrill-seeking teenage girl with a heart defect bonds with a rowdy black stallion and fights to ride in a race despite her life-threatening illness.

Elisa & Marcela
    In 1901 in Galicia, Spain, Elisa Sánchez Loriga adopts a male identity in order to marry another woman, Marcela Gracia Ibeas. Based on true events.

3%: Season 3
    Michele creates an idyllic Inland sanctuary that’s open to all, but when a crisis hits, she’s forced to design a selection process of her own.

Tales of the City
    Returning to San Francisco after a long absence, Mary Ann Singleton reunites with the community of characters at 28 Barbary Lane in Netflix’s continuation of the series based on Armistead Maupin’s novels. Laura Linney, Olympia Dukakis and Ellen Page star.

Designated Survivor: Season 3
    The gloves come off as Kirkman launches his election campaign amidst ethical quandaries, international incidents and a new terrorism threat at home.

I Am Mother
    In the wake of humanity’s extinction, a teenage girl is raised by a robot designed to repopulate the earth. But their unique bond is threatened when an inexplicable stranger arrives with alarming news.

Pachamama
    When a sacred statue is taken from his Andean village, a spirited boy who dreams of becoming a shaman goes on a brave mission to get it back.

Super Monsters Monster Pets
    For big fun, think small! Join the Super Monsters and their adorable new Monster Pets for a series of short and silly animated adventures.

9th June

10th June
    Blue Planet II

AlreaBlack Earth Rising
    As a child, Kate Ashby was rescued from the horrific aftermath of the Rwandan genocide and brought to the UK. But the tragic shadow of her past proves impossible to escape. John Goodman and Michaela Coel star in BBC Two’s complex, thought-provoking drama.

Rush

12th June
    Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese
    In an alchemic mix of fact and fantasy, Martin Scorsese looks back at Bob Dylan’s 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour and a country ripe for reinvention.
    Jo Koy: Comin’ In Hot

13th June
    Jinn: Season 1

When a school trip to Petra turns deadly, some students suspect supernatural forces are to blame. Back home, a mysterious boy appears before Mira.

The 3rd Eye 2
    Working in an orphanage, Alia meets teen Nadia, who says she hears a strange voice in the walls. When they try to find the source, things go very wrong.

14th June
    Murder Mystery

When a NYC cop finally takes his wife on a long promised European trip, a chance meeting on the flight gets them invited to an intimate family gathering on the super yacht of elderly billionaire Malcolm Quince. When Quince is murdered, they become the prime suspects in a modern day whodunit.

The Alcasser Murders
    An analytical examination of the investigation into the 1992 murders of three teens from Alcàsser, Spain, a case that profoundly affected the nation.

Unité 42
    A widowed cop tapped to lead a special cybercrimes unit teams up with a former hacker to hunt down tech-savvy criminals who are terrorising Belgium.

Leila
    Leila, from writer and executive producer Urmi Juvekar, based on a book by Prayaag Akbar, tells the story of Shalini, a free-thinking woman in search of the daughter she lost upon her arrest 16 years earlier. Set in the near future, this inventive, boundary-breaking story centres around longing, faith and loss.

Awake: The Million Dollar Game
    Sleepless for 24 hours, contestants in this comedy game show stumble through challenges both eccentric and mundane for a chance at a $1 million prize.

Charité at War
    During World War II, the patients and staff at Berlin’s Charité hospital grapple with Nazis, eugenics and euthanasia.

Life Overtakes Me
    In the grip of trauma, hundreds of refugee children in Sweden withdraw from life’s uncertainties into a coma-like illness called Resignation Syndrome.

18th June
    Adam Devine: Best Time of Our Lives
    The Terminator

The Edge of Democracy – 19th June
    A cautionary tale for these times of democracy in crisis – the personal and political fuse to explore one of the most dramatic periods in Brazilian history. Combining unprecedented access to leaders past and present, including Presidents Dilma Rousseff and Lula da Silva, with accounts of her own family’s complex political and industrial past, filmmaker Petra Costa (ELENA) witnesses their rise and fall and the tragically polarized nation that remains.

19th June
    Beats – A reclusive teenage musical prodigy forms an unlikely friendship with a down-on-his-luck high school security guard. United by their mutual love of hip hop, they confront the demons of their past and try to break into Chicago’s music scene.

20th June
    The Beguiled

21st June
    Ad Vitam
    In an age of medical technology that allows humans to live forever young, a cop and a rebellious 20-something investigate a mass suicide of seven teens.

Dark: Season 2
    As the date for the apocalyptic Last Cycle approaches, Winden’s families discover that they play a critical role in the fate of their world.

Girls Incarcerated: Season 2
    A year after Madison Juvenile closed, a new group of girls at LaPorte Juvenile Correctional Facility navigate the challenges of teen life behind bars.

GO! Vive a tu manera: Season 2
    Mía tries to discover the truth about her father while also finding success with her singing career. Jealous Lupe’s antics threaten her friendships.

Mr. Iglesias
    Stand-up phenom Gabriel Iglesias stars in this series as a good-natured high school history teacher who tries to help gifted misfit kids.

Bolívar
    This dramatization depicts the life — and loves — of Venezuelan leader Simón Bolívar, who helped several countries gain independence from Spain.

La misma sangre
    The strong family Santiago and Carla have built is challenged when Carla´s mother appears dead after an accident and Santiago suspects that his father-in-law is to blame.

Jaoon Kahan Bata Ae Dil
    Tension plays the third wheel in this portrait of a couple whose caustic, at times jarring, interactions strain their relationship over a Mumbai evening.

The Confession Tapes: Season 2
    They confessed to horrible crimes they claim they never really committed. But why? Four more stories tackle the tricky question.

25th June
    Mike Epps: Only One Mike

Creed II
    DescriptionIn 1985, Russian boxer Ivan Drago killed former U.S. champion Apollo Creed in a tragic match that stunned the world. Against the wishes of trainer Rocky Balboa, Apollo’s son Adonis Johnson accepts a challenge from Drago’s son — another dangerous fighter. Under guidance from Rocky, Adonis trains for the showdown of his life — a date with destiny that soon becomes his obsession. Now, Johnson and Balboa must confront their shared legacy as the past comes back to haunt each man.

27th June
    Daniel Sosa: Maleducado

Answer for Heaven
    A righteous fallen angel must work and live with a rating-obsessed reporter to investigate crimes in a highly competitive office environment.

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol – 30th June
    Brad Bird jumps into the director’s chair for this fourth Mission: Impossible outing and the result is like a live-action cartoon, from a finale involving cars to a trick revolving around an iPad and, of course, the bit where Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt hangs off the tallest building in the world in Dubai. The trick to its success? You buy into all of it. The runtime is a little long, but this is one of the best, and most faithful, entries in the TV spin-off franchise.

28th June
    Dope: Season 3
    Around the world, from Los Angeles to Rotterdam, the war on drugs rages on as users and addicts remain caught in the middle.

The Chosen One
    Three young doctors sent to a remote village in Pantanal to vaccinate residents find themselves trapped in an isolated community shrouded in secrets.

Exhibit A
    This true crime series shows how innocent people have been convicted with dubious forensic tools and techniques such as cadaver dogs and touch DNA.

Twelve Forever
    Twelve-year-old Reggie’s desire to remain a child is so powerful that it opens up a fantasy world where she never has to grow up.

Motown Magic: Season 2
    A second season of magic and music following Ben and his friends Angie and Mickey as they discover that creativity can bring vibrancy to their city and important life lessons.

Shaft
    In this second-generation Shaft saga, the badass detective has been largely absent from his son’s life. But when John Shaft Jr. — an FBI expert in cybersecurity — needs help discovering the truth about his best friend’s death, he turns to his dad.

30th June
    Glee: The Complete Series
    Acapella fans and Ryan Murphy fans unite! All seasons of Fox’s musical series about a high school glee club arrive on Netflix for a toe-tapping binge.

Jessica Jones – Date TBC
    When Jessica (Krysten Ritter) crosses paths with a highly intelligent psychopath, she and Trish (Rachael Taylor) must repair their fractured relationship and team up to take him down. But a devastating loss reveals their conflicting ideas of heroism, and sets them on a collision course that will forever change them both.

Trinkets – Date TBC
    When three teenage girls from different corners of the high school cafeteria find themselves in the same mandated Shoplifter’s Anonymous meeting, an unlikely friendship forms. Elodie — the grieving misfit, Moe — the mysterious outsider, and Tabitha — the imperfect picture of perfection, will find strength in each other as they negotiate family issues, high school drama and the complicated dilemma of trying to fit in while longing to break out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    10th June
    Rush

I'm assuming this is the film about Hunt and Lauda. If so it's brilliant, highly recommend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement