Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Esker Hills GC May 18th 11.30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

was looking at old thread there and the early days of the society. (6 and 7 years ago)

Only wish i could hit a ball like that now - but gives a good overview of the first hole dilemma
    In relation to the committee meeting all voices are heard its not a closed shop and open to everyone so no one would of told you to sling your hook :D

Now onto the business end of things your drive off the first tee ,

I reckon you were about 280 yard of a carry on that first tee and you went flying into the bushes from the tee , it was a monster of a drive

242391.jpg

has to be a shortcut on that first hole , if you were a member ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

has to be a shortcut on that first hole , if you were a member ?

Just checked my gamegolf from 2016. Looks like you want to max out at around 230 from the society tees to leave you at the corner.

Looks like I started fairly well that time, but it didn't last long, wheels came off on the 4th and never really came back on :D

Just a couple of quiet crafty ones for me this evening

Just checked my gamegolf from 2016. Looks like you want to max out at around 230 from the society tees to leave you at the corner.

Looks like I started fairly well that time, but it didn't last long, wheels came off on the 4th and never really came back on :D

Just a couple of quiet crafty ones for me this evening

suppose that is it

230 is kind of an odd distance to hit.

In theory a 3 wood.

Sliced drive will do :D

suppose that is it

230 is kind of an odd distance to hit.

In theory a 3 wood.

Sliced drive will do :D

That's only about a 5-iron for you I thought Fix? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Hope you have a great day, not happy to be missing this one

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Have a super day lads! Hope the sun stays out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭benny79

Results for today

1st - OS_head 43 pts

2nd - Slave1 37pts

3rd - Ballyman 37pts

NP - Bigchap1759 LD - Doublecross

There was 1 two's won by Bigchap1759

Hope you all enjoyed full results be done during the week.

See yea all at next outing in Thurles GC on 15th June @ 11.00am.

Regards

Benny79

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Being local enough to Esker I had an advantage of knowing my way around but I still managed to find the long grass a few times and still learning the breaks and speeds of the various greens. Faultless company yesterday so the 5hr round was pure joy and the weather played it’s part, windy but shorts and the single layer for sure. Ballyman is the sneakiest long off the tee I’ve seen in quite a while, love to gain the run out he gets. The course was in as good a condition as I’ve ever seen it, with not that many members it shows on the weekend as I don’t think I saw any divots and the greens were pretty much pitch mark free. Christy O’ Conner’s trademark massive greens in full action from the get go. Thanks to Benny and all behind the scenes, looking forward to meeting more Boardies soon.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There is a small putting green behind the clubhouse and a chipping green beside the 18th green.
    Nearest range would be in Rahan (think it might be called Tullbeg, I haven’t been there in years) I’ll go around that way before Saturday and let ye know what it’s like.

All of us who’ve played the course a good few times aren’t playing Saturday so am I recommend provisional balls be played on a few blind holes. Might speed things up. It’s not an easy course (unless you play like Rikand!! 2 over gross??)

Its nice that that round is still remembered. I played great that day :)

Super scoring from OS_head. That is not an easy golf course. Slave representing the Athlone contingent admirably!

• Advertisement

Another good day out with Boards, even if the golf wasn't up to scratch.

Had the company of BigEasy & RoadRunner, two old adversaries of mine :D

We started as we meant to go on, with 3 scratches on the opening hole! From there it was a tit-for-tat first 9 battle to bring to take a massive lead. I managed to do so, simultaneously being the first man to hit double digits, on the 9th hole, for a mighty 10 points. The pressure was on to push on for the win.

Followed up my triumphant 9th hole jump in to the lead with an atrocious scratch on the short par 4 10th. A 6-iron in my hand, I proceeded to hit my tee shot out of bounds, and follow it up sticking my 3rd off the tee under the trees. Dumped my 4th shot into the water to fully cap off an appalling effort.

From there I pulled myself together a bit & hit some solid shots. to play the last 8 in level 2s for a mighty total of 26 points.

Hit a lot of really poor shots, and putted quite poorly overall, in particular hit way too many aggressive first putts leaving long 2nd shots in.

93 Strokes
    57% FIR
    44% GIR
    39 putts (1 1-putt, 13 2-putts, 4 3-putts)

Gave up 8 penalty strokes to the course, which was a little bit costly.

Beyond all of that, its a lovely course and we got a great day for it. From what I can gather it was a murky cool day in Dublin, we had the sunscreen on in Esker.

The 2 lads were great company. Forward tees were probably most costly to RoadRunner. When he took 4-iron off the tee he hit a lot of perfect low draws in to good spots on the fairways. Driver was too much club for him on most holes. Highlight was his eagle on the (very slightly) shortened 16th. A wild drive, followed by a wedge to about 1ft which he duly converted with ease.

BigEasy was striking his woods & irons well most of the day but was showing the short game rust of a man who hasn't been playing much golf recently. He did show an exceptional talent for knocking bladed chips in a lot closer than they probably deserved (I wish I had that gift!!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

I was lucky enough to play with Doublecross (LD winner) Slave1 (2nd place) and Ballyman (3rd place) so it was a pleasure guys to be on the round with you. It is a truly magnificent course and I can't wait to play it again soon as I'm lucky enough to be only 45 mins from it. Thanks Benny and committee for organising a superb course for us to play on and for yet again sorting out the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Another great day out. The weather and course were worth the drive. Capt Benny is playing a blinder!

It was my first time playing the course, it's definitely one you need to plot your way around.

Lucky I played with Macker1, ballyk & Timgolfer who are great company and were able to give me a line off the tee. I drove the ball ok but my iron play wasn't great. I found the greens a bit slower than what they looked but they were in excellent condition.

A steady start turned into a run of 1 pointers that led to 14 pts on the front 9.
    Then came the 10th, I had to have a go.....I don't get the chance to drive a par 4 very often.....onto the little island, penalty drop...bogey.....story of my day really.

Finished with 26 pts (I think).

Really enjoying the society, joining is one of my best golfing decisons of 2019 so far.

Hopefully I can make Thurles.

In Druids Glen here - what a few days of Golf.

Love Esker Hills - If , If I struggle around it. Changed a few things in my game and was not ready for such a test.

Still had a great day with Break 80 and Benny 79 - two lads that love the game with similar user name ambitions.

It was clear from the first few minutes it was going to be a long day - there were simply too many groups out on the course and too tight together. Yes society golf is going to be slower - but 5 hours plus. :eek:

It kind of gave us a bit more time to chat - poor Break 80 , I never shut up and Benny's stories are seriously epic , but not for the faint hearted, and not a story to hear just as you take on a lightning down hill sidewinder :p:D. You can get a bit of rush of blood to the head with some of his tales.

But again Benny - outstanding stuff to be there marking names off - getting everyone away - money - planning - prizes - drop outs.

Did I hear someone got a 2 and didn't enter 2s - didn't know we had more Scottish in the society :p:D

I know scoring was poor enough - but not sure it is a course that you should play forward - it adds nothing and is damaging to too many of the holes. I'm normally a fan of forward.

Fair play to Ballyk having cards done as we got in - as many had to hit the road after such a long day.

Hopefully catch one or two more outings / captains day.

Played better today - but still searching for a golf game that seems to be lost down some country road / or bunker in Scotland.

By the way, epic scoring again by winner - we expect a blow by blow and a serious cut :p

As benny says - it is about being positive and good things happen.

Keep it up all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Easy with the casual racism Fix!

Easy with the casual racism Fix!

:D

SEORG wrote: »

Really enjoying the society, joining is one of my best golfing decisons of 2019 so far.

Hopefully I can make Thurles.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭benny79

benny79 wrote: »
    Results for today

1st - OS_head 43 pts

2nd - Slave1 37pts

3rd - Ballyman 37pts

NP - Bigchap1759 LD - Doublecross

There was 1 two's won by Bigchap1759

Hope you all enjoyed full results be done during the week.

See yea all at next outing in Thurles GC on 15th June @ 11.00am.

Regards

Benny79

Just a update on the results

Pakman had a 2 as well.. I blame who ever marked his card! Looks like a 7 :D

I try get the full results up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

benny79 wrote: »
    Just a update on the results

Pakman had a 2 as well.. I blame who ever marked his card! Looks like a 7 :D

I try get the full results up tomorrow.

Understandable. A 7 is not out of place on a par 3 for me usually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Sorry I missed it sounds like a great day.

Some shooting by OS Head. With a score like that and off a new club handicap you really should send your card to your handicap sec, I’m sure Benny can post it in for you.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Some shooting by OS Head. With a score like that and off a new club handicap you really should send your card to your handicap sec, I’m sure Benny can post it in for you.

J

something I used to do when I was off a high handicap back in the day.
    was a nice way to get the cuts in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Had a great day and really enjoyed the course and the company with thebigeasy and spacecoyote. Weather was perfect. Round was slow.
    No aspect of my game was in good form, despite this I still attempted to force stuff. I seem to play boards games differently. Ultra agressive, even more so then normal. I need to deal it back slightly and start playing a little more clever. I'm not able to play for the next few weeks. So this will be my last time out on the course for a bit sadly. Thanks again to captain for organizing. Apols had to run off afterwards so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 onthesod

Sorry lads I missed it. Smallest chiseller had the vomiting bug Fri Night/Sat Morn so I was under house arrest :(

J

Would that be a bit fool hardy with no css and from very forward tees at a society outing ?

What would sec do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

Would that be a bit fool hardy with no css and from very forward tees at a society outing ?

What would sec do ?

I could ask, but for the reasons you've stated, they probably wouldn't be able to accept it. It'd be nice though...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Technically everybody who plays in a society event is supposed to report the score (good or bad) and SSS to their home club.

Of course hardly anybody actually does this

I've ran societies in the past and was point blankly told by comp secretaries to not waste their time by returning society scorecards because they need a properly calculated CSS to do anything, and properly calculated is not as easy as you think, you need a minimum number of players (21/22 is in my head but not sure) then clause 19, were they playing off their official handicap etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    I've ran societies in the past and was point blankly told by comp secretaries to not waste their time by returning society scorecards because they need a properly calculated CSS to do anything, and properly calculated is not as easy as you think, you need a minimum number of players (21/22 is in my head but not sure) then clause 19, were they playing off their official handicap etc.

yea... but!!

a really good score like that can merit a reduction in a (especially new) handicap on observation alone & if the handicap secretary in the players club is worth his salt, he will facilitate it.

I've gotten a good few reductions in the past like this.

would agree it is not worth doing to get .1 back.

This whole lark will get interesting next year when we have a worldwide handicap system :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea... but!!

a really good score like that can merit a reduction in a (especially new) handicap on observation alone & if the handicap secretary in the players club is worth his salt, he will facilitate it.

I've gotten a good few reductions in the past like this.

would agree it is not worth doing to get .1 back.

This whole lark will get interesting next year when we have a worldwide handicap system :D

For the worldwide handicap thing, I know that it is closer to the US model. In the US they will include casual golf for handicap purposes as far as I know.

Assume that this wont be the case here, only qualifying comps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I think that this will be more relevant under new handicap system

Advertisement