Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2020, 11:07   #31
The_Brood

You get paid more to come over here and take the dole money for no work than you do working full time at even average-paid jobs in several parts of Eastern Europe.

Let that sink in.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 11:12   #32
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
You get paid more to come over here and take the dole money for no work than you do working full time at even average-paid jobs in several parts of Eastern Europe.

Let that sink in.
I was a software tester for a well known American software company. I earned 12k euro the first year. My partner at the time was a vulnerability manager in IBM and she earned less than that.

Versus here,186 a week in dole plus HAP. Is it any surprise people want to come here?
(3) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 11:30   #33
HalloweenJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
I'm pretty sure I met you in the Immigrant in Brno in 2012.
Haha, could be, though there was another Boards poster living out there and I met up with him a few times as well.
16-09-2020, 11:40   #34
whisky_galore

A disappointment was Czech Rep.
Found Prague over touristed, stank of piss, BO and weed.
Heaps of homeless, but seemed to be harmless. None of that Dublin edginess and a fine city otherwise.

Budapest had shop assistants who would nearly throw the change and receipt at you they were that rude.
16-09-2020, 11:43   #35
BuboBubo

Poland, nice to visit. Went to Krakow a few years ago, highly recommend it.

There are jobs in Poland, but the wages are poor compared to here. Red-tape and bribery are rampant (throwback to communist era) buying a car in Poland is more difficult than buying a house here!

Saving enough to buy a house, then moving back to Poland is common, others have bought homes here and will never return.

Expect to hear more eastern-european names in hurling and football circles in the coming years. Many have settled, enjoy the pace of life here, and have kids born here who will stay.

Sorry for generalising by using Poland as an example, I have some Polish friends I chat with regularly.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 11:53   #36
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
I've been to most "East European" countries, and what a diverse set of places they are. The Baltic
countries, in particular, are developing fast and align themselves more with Scandinavia. They are certainly immaculate, with high living standards, and with ever increasing prices. Sofia in Bulgaria is a splendid city, with a huge investment in exposing its historic underground city, a place where people really do respect their own environment. The Balkan countries have a great organic food scene, quite in tune with the "hipster" society. Last time I was in Hungary was 1996 and it was then a very hospitable place, in a quiet sort of way, which was enthusiastically opening up to tourism; however I believe it is quite the opposite now for some reason. I noticed back then that Budapest was a city of dog-lovers (people were bringing cats out too), and that if you were seen to admire or interact with people's pets, it went a long way and a conversation opener.
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:04   #37
ohnonotgmail

Quote:

Let that sink in.
EU citizens cannot just rock up to ireland and claim social welfare.
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:16   #38
AndyBoBandy

Though not strictly Eastern Europe, Lithuania (one of the 3 Baltic States) is a fantastic place.

I lived there for 18 months while on a work assignment, and the capitol city Vilnius was fantastic. Great bars, great clubs, great restaurants, and great culture all round. (would put Dublin to shame in a lot of categories). People were incredibly friendly, and in the 18 months I was there, we were never hassled once by drunkards, or toe rags in general (we went out every weekend and simply didn't see any behaviour like this).

Before I went there I was expecting to enter an 80's style Soviet dystopia, but was quite shocked at how modern the place was.

I spent the first 9 months I was there single, and had a great time in that regard (women were incredibly friendly & beautiful)..... then the 2nd 9 months I was in a relationship with a girl. 10 years later we are still together. She followed me back to Ireland a few months after I left as she transferred from the Lithuanian office to her companies U.K. office (and got to be home based in Ireland).

For anyone that's never been, I'd highly recommend going for a long weekend if/when things get back to normal.
16-09-2020, 12:17   #39
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Below is a photo of a purely decorative lake in an immaculate city park in Bulgaria. It has notices "no swimming" and everybody heeds them. I reckon if that park were in Dublin it would be filled with scobes nesting about, throwing litter and adding some interesting colours to the water. I have not been to the Black Sea coast where most foreigners go, but the inland cities of Bulgaria have terrific civic landscapes which are hugely respected by the locals. It is very uplifting to visit likes of Sofia and Plovdiv, and I would recommend them for a nice city break which is about as affordable as you could get. If you are a history buff you are in for a treat.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 12:18   #40
The_Brood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
EU citizens cannot just rock up to ireland and claim social welfare.
I assume that is sarcasm?
16-09-2020, 12:19   #41
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Found those countries and their cities easy, cheap and very safe to get around. Most places were neat, litter free and well looked after.

Unlike here no nackery kids throwing fireworks, burnt out cars or benefits underclass perpetually making trouble. They can do apartment living without going down the Ballymun dystopia road.
Why do people put Ireland down at every opportunity?

Do you really think that Eastern European countries are utopias

Why mention one failed project Ballymun, that is now regenerated but not mention all the awful communist era tower blocks that you see all over?

A few incidents here of kids with fireworks and now the whole country is sh1t?

I actually think that Ireland is one of the best countries to live in with great scenery, attractions and normally a thriving social scene. I've lived abroad and I'm very happy to back here.

It's positives far outweigh the negatives. Plenty of foreigners like living here too.

Also, "Benefits underclass". What is this as people in Ireland don't receive "benefits".

Last edited by murpho999; 16-09-2020 at 12:27.
(4) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:20   #42
breezy1985

Quote:

Let that sink in.
Ya but you would have to live here with our very high cost of living so. It all relative.

I lived in London until last year and I found the cost of living there cheaper than Limerick
16-09-2020, 12:23   #43
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
Below is a photo of a purely decorative lake in an immaculate city park in Bulgaria. It has notices "no swimming" and everybody heeds them. I reckon if that park were in Dublin it would be filled with scobes nesting about, throwing litter and adding some interesting colours to the water. I have not been to the Black Sea coast where most foreigners go, but the inland cities of Bulgaria have terrific civic landscapes which are hugely respected by the locals. It is very uplifting to visit likes of Sofia and Plovdiv, and I would recommend them for a nice city break which is about as affordable as you could get. If you are a history buff you are in for a treat.
So you've never seen the clear waters in the likes of Stephen's Green?

Seriously the stuff people come up with.

As far as I'm concerned my Eastern European travels have been Poland, Lithuania, Prague & Budapest.
Some lovely spots but I found a lot of the people dour, architecture outside city centres to be bleak and you see the same social problems there that you see everywhere else.
16-09-2020, 12:24   #44
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
I assume that is sarcasm?
statement of fact

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/fc...nefits-and-swa
16-09-2020, 12:29   #45
The_Brood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
Well yeah they don't get it the literal very first day they step foot in Ireland, but those listed hurdles are very easily overcome and they know how to overcome them with great success.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion