Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2020, 22:44   #46
OnionBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayesdiem View Post
The biggest shift in taste (for the worse) due to sweeteners was coco pops. My grandmother used to feed me these for breakfast in the 80s and the chocolate taste was nothing short of magical. I can’t begin to describe it but imagining it actually places me back in that time. Wind forward to the mid 90s and the “great new taste” as it was marketed as had ruined a childhood staple forever more. I feel sorry for today’s kids because they will never know what it was like to eat coco pops on the 80s.
You should pick up a box of sugar-and-artificial-flavour-laden American cereal sometime. The dopamine hit is amazing and reminiscent of the impact sugary cereals used to provide when I was a kid.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 22:45   #47
Jayesdiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
The sweettooth folks out there can't win, use sugar and become obese (+200% chance covidy take down).

Or you have those x28 cans per day of diet cola, and go the way of J'Daly:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...er-cancer.html
He’s obese, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. He had bigger issues than artificial sweeteners.
13-09-2020, 22:46   #48
Monokne

Love me some sweetener.
13-09-2020, 22:47   #49
OnionBelt

Tayto Prawn Cocktail - another product destroying itself with some artifical sweetener .. like surely they don't need to add it to crisps? Can taste it immediately.
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2020, 22:49   #50
Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayesdiem View Post
He’s obese, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. He had bigger issues than artificial sweeteners.
The youngish (54) fella sure partied hard.

But those x28 cans of diet coke can't of been much help for his bladder. Besides, smokers usually get lung issues, and drinkers usually get liver/kidney damage.

Phissing out x28 cans of artifically sweet could well have played havoc on the aul bladder bag, the poor chap.
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 22:50   #51
OnionBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
7up is ruined forever.

Used to be a classic Irish staple now its disgusting because they have 'improved it with sweenters'

If I want a frizzy drink, I want a full fat one.

Not my problem if other people csnr limit their intake of sugar, I can.
Of all the fizzy drinks, the difference in taste of 7-up is surely among the very worst. The bitter disgusting taste of sweeteners is overpowering. The people making these drinks must surely know how horrible everyone else is going to think they are before they change the recipes?
13-09-2020, 22:50   #52
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batrachotox View Post
Yeah I agree, would be a food libertarian also - if you’re obese don’t go guzzling fizzy drinks by the litre. There really is no excuse nowadays with so much information out there, nobody isn’t aware sweets and soft drinks etc are unhealthy.
Got sweet shoite all to do with health..

It's cheaper than sugar
Thanks from:
13-09-2020, 23:05   #53
PsychoPete

A few weeks ago I bought some lucozade for the first time in years, I took one mouth full out of the bottle and I launched the bottle across the yard in absolute disgust
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2020, 23:19   #54
Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
Phissing out x28 cans of artifically sweet could well have played havoc on the aul bladder bag, the poor chap.
Actually x28 cans is far above the FDA safe health limit for diet colas.

A typical can of diet soda contains about 185 milligrams of aspartame, meaning the average person should not drink more than 18cans per day. The WHO and Europeans have a lower limit of 14 cans.

Hence there is reasonable cause to directly associate young Daly's bladder cancer with this daily intake of 28cans of diet cola. This is even before considering the other one: 'Acesulfame K' (200 times sweeter than sucrose).

Diet Coke:
Carbonated Water, Colour (Caramel E150d), Sweeteners (Aspartame and Acesulfame K), Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid. Contains a Source of Phenylalanine
Advertisement
14-09-2020, 06:42   #55
Eleven Benevolent Elephants
Banned

Just Mrs. Elephant's vitamin tablets ... Sweeteners. Christ.

What harm will that tiny bit of sugar do in a tablet that weighs less than a gram? The artificial sweeteners make them unpalatable.

Why not just eliminate sugar in sugar free versions altogether instead of replacing it with sweeteners? And leave sugared tablets for those who want it.

Last edited by Eleven Benevolent Elephants; 14-09-2020 at 06:59.
14-09-2020, 06:57   #56
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven Benevolent Elephants View Post
Just Mrs. Elephant's vitamin tablets ... Sweeteners. Christ.

What harm will that tiny bit of sugar do in a tablet that weighs less than a gram? The artificial sweeteners make them unpalatable.

Why not just eliminate sugar altogether instead of replacing it with sweeteners?
Because everything would taste like crap. There's nothing wrong with sugar anyway.
14-09-2020, 07:01   #57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
Because everything would taste like crap. There's nothing wrong with sugar anyway.
?????????????
Where did my quoted post demonise sugar????
14-09-2020, 07:03   #58
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven Benevolent Elephants View Post
?????????????
Where did my quoted post demonise sugar????
You edited in an extra line afterwards to maker yourself look more hinged about it.
14-09-2020, 07:06   #59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
You edited in an extra line afterwards to maker yourself look more hinged about it.
Ok. I did. But my original post clearly said "what harm will <1 g of sugar do?".
14-09-2020, 07:12   #60
Odyssey 2005

You lost me at 'beans on a breakfast '!.

That's just disgusting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion