Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2020, 20:32   #31
Beanntraigheach

The 'diet'/sugar-free version of most soft drinks has been available for decades now, so those who want that option have long been catered for.
The replacement of sugar with artificial sweeteners has feck all to do with concerns about health and everything to do with the fact that the artificial sweeteners are cheaper for the manufacturer - so they charge the consumer the same price for a product which now costs them less to produce.
Bastards!
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 20:35   #32
Fakediamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1234567 View Post
What do you mean? Anything put in our food pases rigorous human testing, there won't be any surprises there. Safety profile of most sweeteners is very good and is for sure much healthier than consuming obscene amouns of sugar

What do you mean? Sugar also passed rigorous testing and no one would argue now that its safety profile is very good for human health.
13-09-2020, 21:13   #33
daheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1234567 View Post
What do you mean? Anything put in our food pases rigorous human testing, there won't be any surprises there. Safety profile of most sweeteners is very good and is for sure much healthier than consuming obscene amouns of sugar
I mean just cos they say it's ok doesn't actually prove it. We've never consumed the amount of artificial sweeteners in these volumes in the past, so don't really know how it will affect people's health.

It could be fine...it might not.....I'm betting that there's been a loads brown bags changing hands to allow this happen.....and we find out later that actually these sweeteners are causing X/Y/Z health problems for us.

Plenty of things in the past were said to be good for us (cigarettes, Guinness etc). So God knows really.
13-09-2020, 21:23   #34
amadangomor

They actually turn my stomach as well as tasting rotten.

Have got caught out buying yogurts with the fecking things in them. One spoonful and binned the rest.
13-09-2020, 21:31   #35
stampydmonkey

Ah I'd love a can of lilt...thanks for that.

Or cidona or lucozade NRG (in the yellow glass bottle, that stuff was like acid)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 21:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Redman View Post
The cúnts ruined Lucozade
I don't get the whole less sugar in Lucozade.. the whole point in it it was a high glucose drink, a precursor to the energy drinks we have now!
13-09-2020, 21:42   #37
circadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Bathgate View Post
Is Lilt still good?

Here comes the Lilt man....Lilt!
Had a can of lilt a few years ago, as a treat a d trip down memory lane.

It's horrendous. They've absolutely butchered what was once a refreshing beverage to a weird lack of flavour but astringent can of piss.

Thankfully Club remains the same but the diet versions are probably of the worst things I've ever drank.
13-09-2020, 21:58   #38
enda1

The one that really annoys be is Schweppes tonic. Even the non-light one - the normal one has artificial sweeteners. What’s the deal with that!? I don’t wanna be paying hand over fist for some English hipster tonic just to avoid bloody sweetners.
13-09-2020, 22:01   #39
barney shamrock

What the hell has happened Cadburys?
A tasty treat for decades ruined overnight by a US takeover and the addition of palm oil.
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 22:25   #40
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney shamrock View Post
What the hell has happened Cadburys?
A tasty treat for decades ruined overnight by a US takeover and the addition of palm oil.
Some of the cadburys bars have a not very nice aftertaste now, a more waxy sort of texture to them as well.
13-09-2020, 22:28   #41
893bet

One of the reasons I no longer go to subway with their no options but sweetened drinks.
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2020, 22:39   #42
blueskys

Worked in the states a while back and went into a supermarket to buy porridge or oats as they call it. They had every type of sweetened/flavoured oats bar normal unsweetened porridge oats. Even the bread had sweeteners in it. Obesity is directly related to this muck. It's much cheaper to produce than sugar and is highly addictive. Have learned to check labels thoroughly especially anything stating zero fat/sugar etc..
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2020, 22:41   #43
OnionBelt

Amen OP, well said. F'uck ALL sweeteners except sugar. That said, even though high fructose corn syrup (which isn't in Irish food usually) can't be properly metabolised by the human body it is still infinitely preferable to any low/zero calorie sweeteners. You don't get a satisfying dopamine response from non-calorific sweeteners. I despise when manufacturers change recipes to add these bullsh'it non-sugar sweeteners. EVERYONE PREFERS THE OLD FORMULA AND WOULD PAY MORE TO KEEP IT, YOU SOULLESS CORPORATE SCUM. And stop trying to make Coca Cola Zero appear to be the flagship product ... oooooo your marketing department is sooooo clever
13-09-2020, 22:41   #44
Jayesdiem

The biggest shift in taste (for the worse) due to sweeteners was coco pops. My grandmother used to feed me these for breakfast in the 80s and the chocolate taste was nothing short of magical. I can’t begin to describe it but imagining it actually places me back in that time. Wind forward to the mid 90s and the “great new taste” as it was marketed as had ruined a childhood staple forever more. I feel sorry for today’s kids because they will never know what it was like to eat coco pops on the 80s.
13-09-2020, 22:43   #45
Accumulator

The sweettooth folks out there can't win, use sugar and become obese (+200% chance covidy take down).
Or you have those x28 cans per day of diet cola, and go the way of J'Daly:

Quote:
Golf icon John Daly (only 54), who used to drink 28 cans of Diet Coke and smoke 40 cigarettes a day, reveals he has bladder cancer and has been left hoping for 'a miracle'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...er-cancer.html

TBH you can't beat a nice simple and plain pint of 5-stage filtered, vortexed, and hexagonally re-structured water, after it's been given 432hz.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion