Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi meat aisle horrors.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have Lambs for sale from my farm, absolute quality. Pm if anyone wants one. Very reasonable price!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, and my niece and nephew. I’ve just about gotten over the huge disappointment of Galway’s lose to Limerick on Sunday. I was motoring back out from Galway this morning after an early morning hike in the 12 Bens, when I got a call from my Mother asking me to call into the local ADLI to pick up some pots of Play-Doh for my nephew (strange request, but I was very happy to oblige – I’m good like that). Turned the 6-Series around and headed back into town. Mart day today, so there were some serious specimens of muck savage around – men with beetroot red faces, tufts of hair growing on their upper cheeks, pants held up with baling twine, not a full set of teeth between 5 of them.

But I bet they weren't full of sh**, now were they.

BTW I thought Mart day in your neck of the woods was Thursday not Friday ?
    Now I live in Germany, but it’s safe to say I’m not a regular visitor to German discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl. They have a great business model, and are very popular, but I’m not their target audience as I’ve the disposable income to shop in more artisan and high-end stores. I’ve heard some of their produce can be quite good, but I’m a passionate and talented cook so I’d rather have the choice of more than one type of mushroom for example. Think the food hall in Fallon and Byrne for those of you familiar with the Dublin foodie scene.

I had intended to get in and out there as quickly as possible, but decided I’d have a browse of the products they offer. I was genuinely disgusted to see that you can buy a large chicken for €4. Who buys such a thing? How is it possible to house, feed, medicate, slaughter, package, and distribute a chicken to a supermarket for that price? And one has to presume that there’s profit being taken by the various stakeholders along this most depressing of supply chains. I can’t help but notice that there’s a big problem with Irishmen and ‘moobs’ these days. Surely some of it must be linked to the amount of hormones and growth promoters these chickens are being stuffed with during their short and tragic life?

But surely it is better to just have moobs than be a complete T I T ?
    The litany of food horrors continued – huge packs of sickly pink looking ham branded as ‘Family Value’, bags of chicken nuggets for €1.79, microwavable mashed potato (!!), blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing, baked beans for 29 cent a can. Who eats this muck, and do they ever consider the impact it is having on their own bodies, and the bodies of their families? Probably the same people who then fill the rest of the trolley with bottles of cheap wine that you could use to strip paint from a trawler.

BTW when you were growing up in Galway did you always buy your food in the likes of McCambridge’s ?

Also you use that wine to run the trawler not take the paint off.
    Jaysus have they taught you nothing over there in Germany.
    I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have and left. I was relieved to find that some fat tradesman in a van hadn’t scraped my Beamer despite parking dangerously close to it. I’ve been appalled since though at the idea of that flaccid looking ‘chicken’ wrapped in its clear plastic coffin.

Ah now be fair, he would only have done that if he actually knew it was your car.

Also for someone that was only there for as short a time as possible you do seem to remember a fair few itemised prices.

Ah but shure what am I sayin, it must be your superior trained financial brain at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have Lambs for sale from my farm, absolute quality. Pm if anyone wants one. Very reasonable price.

Did they fall of the truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

jmayo wrote: »
    But I bet they weren't full of sh**, now were they.

BTW I thought Mart day in your neck of the woods was Thursday not Friday ?

But surely it is better to just have moobs than be a complete T I T ?

BTW when you were growing up in Galway did you always buy your food in the likes of McCambridge’s ?

Also you use that wine to run the trawler not take the paint off.
    Jaysus have they taught you nothing over there in Germany.

Ah now be fair, he would only have done that if he actually knew it was your car.

Also for someone that was only there for as short a time as possible you do seem to remember a fair few itemised prices.

Ah but shure what am I sayin, it must be your superior trained financial brain at work.

Relax dude. Maybe try some of that mindfulness stuff young Aongus does be on about?? Or go and choke the chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Relax dude. Maybe try some of that mindfulness stuff young Aongus does be on about?? Or go and choke the chicken?

An aldi one or one of those freerange ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ask my bollocks. Go to a different shop or butchers if you dont like what you see in Aldi.

Username checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

An aldi one or one of those freerange ones?

An extra small one anyway I’d say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That guy needs to 'chill out.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The same crap u described happens in germany and every other country. Germany have a low unemployment rate but a high percentage are paid **** all. Plus it has 80 million people the place is jammed and they work the absolute bollix out of u in most jobs. There efficiency **** wrecks my head. Our it will be grand attitude suits me better.

Most of what you say is true, but they don't work the bollix out of you. It's actually much better than in Ireland. Sunday is sacred, no shops are open so that everyone can have family time. 30 days is the standard minimum vacation time in most jobs and family is given a high priority. Childcare is a fraction of what it costs in Ireland. Plus that stereotype of German efficiency is a thing of the past, but they are still a lot more efficient than most nations.

Regarding food, Germany are one of the worst for crap quality, especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables. Due to the lower wages and higher taxes compared to somewhere like Ireland, the Germans are not willing to pay for good produce. Fruit and vegetables have a standard rating and Germany takes in the lowest rating, it's actually quite hard to find good produce. Local markets and Turkish supermarkets are some of the few places where you can find quality, the supermarkets are mainly crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

meeeeh wrote: »
    Did they fall of the truck?

They fell out of the ewes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The original post is a bloody essay. No way am i reading that. Off to cut the hedge:P

It's about chikken co-incidentally.

Also, Aongus is better than you.

I'll be spending the next 20 minutes searching previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

'..... blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing....'
    See, this is the problem with pretending to know stuff Aonghas. People who actually know stuff will come along and call you out. Safer to say nothing and risk people thinking you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Unless of course Aldi were in fact giving away the cheese for nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Good post but a continuity error should be removed in the final cut.

Having never been in a german discount before.....
    "I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

So there are the El-cheapo food retailers like Aldi and Lidl, and the up-market ones that offer chickens and meat of a much higher quality. All of them seem to insist that their products are "genuine Irish" or even "Genuine organic." But from where do they source those products? To the best of my knowledge none of them operate farms across Ireland, and all of the meat and veg they offer is "organic" as are all chickens and Brussels sprouts. There is no such thing as an inorganic chicken other than that the "organic" one commands a higher price.

In fact they all buy their meat products from the few major slaughterhouses which, in turn, buy from a whole number of farmers. I struggle to believe that Aldi or Lidl or Tesco could have any idea from where a particular chicken carcass came when they probably order thousands of them a month. Then, when they put them on their shelves, they advertise them and price them at the level that their individual market will bear. If their perceived market is discerning people who are prepared to pay more then the "organic" chicken will cost €7 or more. In Aldi or Lidl, targeting a less discerning market but one where money is important and the shopper doesn't own a Mercedes, the chicken will be offered at €5.

But it's the same bloody chicken from the same processor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'm just glad he didn't call it a 6-Serious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Irish reared chicken and all farm animals are free from hormones and growth promotors - it’s a fact, it’s monitored closely, traceable and the implications for a farmer are huge if there’s any messing going on.

Now, I agree the chicken is too cheap, as are most meats but farmers are price takers, they have no option one s an animal is ready to go but take what you get. Holding back animals often results in penalties for age or fatness, plus it costs to hold them in a factory ready state.

You can buy decent free range chicken for a bit more and there’s more substance to them.

Overall Aldi meats are high quality and plenty of Irish reared options in the fresh meat, frozen stuff is more of a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Gowan outta that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

I’ve been back in Ireland...
    ... but I’m a passionate and talented cook

Passionate and talented in the kitchen.......and in the bed too I'm sure.

Either genius troll or absolute fúcking knob of the highest order!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Visiting from Germany but still driving your own beamer? Ship it over for the trip do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

It’s hardly your own Beamer if ur just visiting Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Visiting from Germany but still driving your own beamer? Ship it over for the trip do you?

Sorry just say ur comment now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

KevinCavan wrote: »
    It’s hardly your own Beamer if ur just visiting Ireland.

She rents high end cars when in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Please, please go into a Dealz shop Mr Von B and document your experience. I'd love to read it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Who remembers the 'horror' prices in the native supermarkets before Lidl and Aldi came on the scene ? Their arrival in Ireland was the best thing ever as it forced the other supermarkets to compete. Not everyone is in the BMW and free range league in Ireland - far from it in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Aongus is without question the best poster on Boards. Just when you think he's quietly riding off into the sunset (in a 6 series, of course) and you haven't heard from him in a while, in he strides and separates himself from the pack again with one simple, fantastically patronizing post.

And I have no doubt it was typed using the most ergonomically efficient keyboard that us peasant plebs couldnt even dream of affording.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For those that still don't get it, which is still an amazingly high number of people: these accounts from everyone's favourite ex-pat are tounge in cheek and not to be taken seriously. Yes, that's right, they are a joke.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd put this up with your finest work there Aongus. I felt like you actually wanted to make a semi-serious point for once, but were trapped into writing as the persona you've created and got caught in between two clashing writing styles: unexpected earnestness that grated in places with the familiar, some harsh critics would say overfamiliar, AvB tropes - the Mart, the beamer, the artisan food products. You weren't at your best for this one, best evidenced by the shocking grammatical error in the very first paragraph.

Work on a unity of tone and you'll soon be back on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

AllForIt wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a variety of mushrooms? Do you mean like big ones or small ones?

I reckon Aongus munched a few magic ones before he started this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Aldi meat is muck....The missus is always onto me to shop there but I refuse to buy meat I eat in there.
    Their steaks are crap, their burgers are crap, their sausages are crap.
    Crap crap crap crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ah lads.

It's Aonghus.

Would ye all ever just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just back from the weekly shop and Aldi were out of €4 chickens.

Advertisement