Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is the most dangerous place in Ireland?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

McGaggs wrote: »
    timthumbni wrote: »
    There has never been a heroin problem in Portrush. You might be thinking of ballymena.

I was told there was a dodgy housing estate there on the late 90s with a problem.

Dhu varren maybe.? Anyway there maybe some people on heroin in Portrush but there is no problem with it as such. Not like Edinburgh and Dublin for example....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Scariest place I've ever personally been is an area near the Guinness factory late at night,

I can't remember which road it was (Basin St, Marrowbone Lane and the School/Summer/Braithewaite Street intersection are all possibilities - I had stumbled drunkenly and phoneless out of a house party on New Earl Street around 4am with the intention of walking home to Dun Laoghaire and promptly gotten lost in an absolute maze of apartment tower blocks :D ) but there was an all out gang battle going on with young lads throwing sh!t at eachother and setting fire to things. To this day I'm not sure if that was their idea of fun or if there was actual hatred towards eachother but it was feckin' terrifying.

The main thing going on was people standing on balconies (open access stairwells so I have no idea if they even lived in the buildings or not - a lot of the apartments were boarded up so possibly scheduled for demolition or a facelift?), setting fire to tennis balls and the like, and then trying to bounce them off the ground and hit people standing on the balconies in opposite buildings. Feckin' mad stuff.

Never saw any mention of it in the news which made me wonder if it was a regular occurrence and therefore not newsworthy :eek: It was in and around Arthur's Day, so close enough to Halloween but probably not Halloween related, idk. Autumn does seem to be peak "set everything in sight on fire for the craic" season from September onwards, so that might have been a factor.

Wouldn't wander around that stretch at night again in a hurry though. This stuff seemed to be going on across several different streets in the same cluster, all within sight of the Guinness building, so it very much seemed like an organised kind of thing. Do 'gangs' of teenage douchebags still do arranged meetups with the express purpose of having fights?

Phone was dead hence no Google maps and no chance to call the Gardai. Eventually after running through several streets for about ten minutes trying to get away from the chaos I miraculously ended up on Cork Street, which I was fully familiar with and could figure out my route home from. Serious way to wake up after a session at which you had just woken up from a drunken slumber :D:D:D

On a serious note, it also massively pissed me off that this kind of crap seemed to be going on with total impunity. No sign of any cavalry arriving at least while I was there, which sort of adds weight to the claims that certain areas are just "let go" by the authorities, and therefore these marauding gangs of scumbags can just get away with it without any real retaliation. What always struck me was how tranquil Cork Street was once I arrived on it, if I'd been walking home from a gaff party there that night I wouldn't have had so much as a hint that there was major trouble going on just a five minute walk away. I'd always heard that the city centre was like that, with settled and rough areas directly intersecting with eachother, but this was the most bizarre contrast I've come across in my time.

This was in the Autumn of either 2013 or 2014, so for all I know the place is totally different now. The boarded up apartments nearby would suggest that some kind of revamp was planned for the area.

Sound like you experienced a classic time slip there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toshr

Used to live in Phibsboro 10+ years ago, and liked walking home from a dewey nite out, rather than queueing for hours for a cab, not once while passing the so called North Inner City was i intimidated or threatened. It's what u make it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Graces7 wrote: »
    would not feel safe in a city or town.

Complete opposite would be freaked out at night living in the middle of nowhere, it feels safer with some neighbors nearby in an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The bad parts of Limerick are really, really bad. Moyross, Southill, Weston, St Marys Park etc.

Yup and living about 15 years in Limerick I've never been or ever want to see those places. Hyde rd another kip. That said I know there is a lot of genuine people living there but the scum bring everything down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This thread makes me really want to visit Southill and Moyross just to see what the hype is about. Sounds awful and it seems to be "winning" as the actual most dodgy place in the whole country here, but I'd love to see it for myself to get some perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Complete opposite would be freaked out at night living in the middle of nowhere, it feels safer with some neighbors nearby in an urban area.

lol.. when I tell folk I live ON AN ISLAND they really freak out!

They would feel trapped; I feel safe. One day last autumn a storm blew up and I got stranded.. there was a narrow gap to get back between storms and the sweet deep sigh of relief when we landed on the island..

and I have a good lock and a good dog anyways..

This thread makes me really want to visit Southill and Moyross just to see what the hype is about. Sounds awful and it seems to be "winning" as the actual most dodgy place in the whole country here, but I'd love to see it for myself to get some perspective!

go visit the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal who work in the worst of it with the young folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's the most dangerous place but it's just a dodgy place I visited at the weekend.....

We went to Belfast from Dublin for the weekend. Decided to find a kebab shop on Google Sunday evening to bring back to the hotel for the girlfriend and i. I seen one on a street called hope street. Which was a 1 mile walk down a long street (the one with the Europa hotel). So after I got the kebabs, I decided to take a route home that's behind the main streets for the craic . I ended up in a place called sandy row( a friend I know from Belfast said wtf was I doing there? She wouldn't even drive her car through it) there was a pub on the corner with union jacks and Israel flags hanging from it and a baldy man with half of his face tattood. I knew I was ****ed if they knew I'm from Dublin so I did a fast walk past the dodgy bastards. The pub had music pumping at about 8pm on a Sunday.

I ended up walking down sandy row which had union jacks and murals everywhere.

Nothing happened and I never felt in danger but I knew quite well to keep my mouth shut.

Just so you know ... there are no pubs on Sandy Row .... :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The womb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 werenotthere

rathkeale in limerick.... few funny looks driving my car through there a few months ago.

gozunda wrote: »
    Sound like you experienced a classic time slip there :D

sounds quite literally like... hell.. and I never use that word lightly,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

You southerners really are soft. Some of the posts on this thread are hilarious.

few funny looks driving my car through there a few months ago.

Oh dear God, the humanity! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Any decent books on the gang feuds in Limerick?

Advertisement