Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling for Autumn

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

August isn't a Summer month in Ireland, the Summer months are May, June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Give me another two week blast of the summer weather when the schools go back and I'll be good to settle into the Autumn then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Candyshell wrote: »
    August isn't a Summer month in Ireland, the Summer months are May, June and July.

Anything that’s upwards of 20c and beyond is summer to me, it can fùck right off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I love autumn. The main benefit of a 'good' summer, as far as I'm concerned, is that it usually results in a very colourful autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That stems from the old celtic calendar.

Meteorologically speaking summer in the northern hemisphere runs from June 21st to September 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

I for one would like to hear Aongus' thoughts on IT staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Calendar summer - may, June, July

Metrological summer - June July and August

Astronomical summer - 2018 = 21st Jun to 23rd September

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I enjoy autumn sunshine, it being a bit fresher, and the crunch of leaves. Could do without the hail stones and chilling rain that's been popping up over the last couple of days though.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I love autumn. The main benefit of a 'good' summer, as far as I'm concerned, is that it usually results in a very colourful autumn.

Only if it was a wet spring to encourage sugar production that then converts to glucose in the sunny weather. We also need frosts to hold off if the autumn colour is to last any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I usually have to cut my grass up until about the first week of November.

True.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Today was fabulous. I opened all the windows in the house and let the fresh air blow through it. It rained and now we've a beautiful clear blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Love the coolness in the air today. Got up this morning and after weeks and weeks of donning shorts and a t-shirt whenever I'd be planning to stay inside for a few hours, today I felt a fleece tracksuit bottoms and a warm hoody was in order.

We're back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Autumn is like the beginning of the end.

The school, university terms begin anew with no pressure of exams etc yet the good weather is coming to an end and the dark nights are closing in.

Spring is the opposite, the end of the beginning.
    School stress and Uni exams but the crap weather of the winter is ending, the days are longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Fecking mice in the attic again setting up home for the cold weather!!! Early this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Autumn definitely setting in! Glorious

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I fcuking hate autumn TBH. More than any other time of the year. It was ah crap, back to school in my youth, the transition of the nights heading towards afternoon, the oncoming cold and the damp and the bloody rain, heating bills, cold hands and all that shite. The promise of dank, dark and damp. Yeah, that's great like. It;s so bloody grey. Give me spring and summer every time. Even that point in winter when the days start to get that little bit longer. If I had the choice I'd winter in the warm south. I envy the birds that do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My first year in Ireland after a decade on a windswept North Sea island where ponies had short legs with good reason and there were no trees.. I revelled in the autumn forests.... used to drive through them with joy...the sheer exuberant colour...

Love autumn altogether.. fruit, jamming, laying in winter supplies, just love it all... Happy days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Wibbs wrote: »
    I fcuking hate autumn TBH. More than any other time of the year. It was ah crap, back to school in my youth, the transition of the nights heading towards afternoon, the oncoming cold and the damp and the bloody rain, heating bills, cold hands and all that shite. The promise of dank, dark and damp. Yeah, that's great like. It;s so bloody grey. Give me spring and summer every time. Even that point in winter when the days start to get that little bit longer. If I had the choice I'd winter in the warm south. I envy the birds that do.

Oh God, yes, I've been saying it for years. I wish I had the money to go to warm places in the winter. I love sun. Light, brightness, warmth, body unfurled. Autumn looks so beautiful in many ways, but ....oh no, drip alert! ...I sometimes cry when the leaves are falling. Autumn is somehow melancholy. In winter I grit my teeth and endure. In Spring I hover over the places I know I have planted bulbs and wait with bated breath. In Summer I unwind.

Wibbs wrote: »

((((HUGS))))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sardine wrote: »
    Irish people are weirdos. We get like 10 or 11 months of autumn or worse (winter) and they're happy when it's f*cking Baltic in August. Hands were numb cycling to work this morning. In AUGUST.
    Irish people just love to complain about weather, full stop. I've had multiple people in my office complain it's too cold when the weather had been in the high/mid teens only to then complain it's too cold when it's in the 10-12 range.

Also, probably because we typically have very little variance, but many of us don't seem to even have a concept of 'dressing for the weather' at all.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Irish people just love to complain about weather, full stop. I've had multiple people in my office complain it's too cold when the weather had been in the high/mid teens only to then complain it's too cold when it's in the 10-12 range.

Also, probably because we typically have very little variance, but many of us don't seem to even have a concept of 'dressing for the weather' at all.

complaining about the weather takes far too much energy and achieves nothing.. yaawnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What I hate about this weather is it's too warm for a jumper and too cold for a t-shirt so it's uncomfortable either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

THis is just wrong.

According to Met Eireann it's June, July and August.

February 1st is not Spring either. It's still winter.

Met Eireann Fun Facts about seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Graces7 wrote: »
    complaining about the weather takes far too much energy and achieves nothing.. yaawnnn
    Though we've been on this rock for thousands of years and it hasn't stopped us yet!

I do generally agree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

When I was young I used to hate autumn, because I hated school.

Autumn, heralding being back at school. Too hot one minute, too cold the next, stifling uniforms, smelly classrooms, draughty buildings. The promise of the long dark.

If people said that Autumn began in August I'd shout them down, and feel much the same way about that sentiment as I did about the back to friggin school adverts.

Since then I've changed my mind a lot. I really like Autumn, though it simply can't beat summer.

I hate the long, dark nights of Winter, but that's Winter, not the fault of Autumn, and Autumn is no more a promise of Winter than Winter is a promise of Spring.

September and October are beautiful, busy months, full of promise of a different kind.

November is still shít tho.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    This is just wrong.

It's neither right or wrong. The seasons are not a scientific unit. We base our seasonal calendar partly on pagan festivals, which would make that poster right, but different organisations, and countries, do it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's the coming of the short days that I hate.

The gloomy mild, wet, mucky weather. Constant greyness, uh.

It really is one of the most depressing places in the world in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm in favour of it.

((((HUGS))))

If you get SAD as badly as this, there is help for that? google

PS whatever you do do not go near the North Sea islands.. days are much shorter there and darker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((((HUGS))))
    ((((feck off))) :D TBH I don't get "depressed" or any of that guff with winter, it just irritates me. Christmas and New Year at least breaks it up(which is why they came to be placed there). Roll on spring and summer. May would be my fave month in general.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement