Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Didn't realise how good my flying has actually become until i had a couple of whiskeys and attempted to reach
    the Vessel
    on Dark Bramble. Had to call it a night after my 4th failed attempt. Hitting vines and other 'things'. Bollox of a planet, looking forward to finishing this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I do wish that the skip time mechanic at the campfire would pass a little faster, I needed to be someplace last night that's only available 7 minutes in, but kept dying when I got to it, the wait time plus the reloading grated a bit I must say.

I do wish that the skip time mechanic at the campfire would pass a little faster, I needed to be someplace last night that's only available 7 minutes in, but kept dying when I got to it, the wait time plus the reloading grated a bit I must say.
    ash twin project??
    ??

I finally reached
    the vessel
    on dark Bramble last night. Got too excited and hopped out of my ship without my suit :pac:. Got there fine the next time. Then onto the quantum
    moon
    . My god, the game design is unreal. Fully sure anyone who didn't nominate this in the goty awards just didn't play it.

Last thing to do is the final bit
    remove the warp core from ash twin project, put it in the vessel and off to the eye. Took me a few goes but finally warped. Wtf am i??
    Had to quickly shut down though so will be doing it again today. I'm ready for the end...

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    ash twin project??
    ??

I finally reached
    the vessel
    on dark Bramble last night. Got too excited and hopped out of my ship without my suit :pac:. Got there fine the next time. Then onto the quantum
    moon
    . My god, the game design is unreal. Fully sure anyone who didn't nominate this in the goty awards just didn't play it.

Last thing to do is the final bit
    remove the warp core from ash twin project, put it in the vessel and off to the eye. Took me a few goes but finally warped. Wtf am i??
    Had to quickly shut down though so will be doing it again today. I'm ready for the end...

Yup, you're spot on, and I think that by virtue of the way I've approached the game, there's nothing else I can go look at while killing time.

Yup, you're spot on, and I think that by virtue of the way I've approached the game, there's nothing else I can go look at while killing time.

I get so nervous about that bit, i head there and just follow the yoke around until the second it's revealed. I tried killing time before but got there too late. Super nova before i got to the very last bit meant i wasn't gonna chance it again :)

• Advertisement

I get so nervous about that bit, i head there and just follow the yoke around until the second it's revealed. I tried killing time before but got there too late. Super nova before i got to the very last bit meant i wasn't gonna chance it again :)

yup, and While I've really enjoyed the game, I know what i need to do to finish and just want to get it checked off the list. It can be a bit disheartening for one wrong jetpack thrust or mistiming to scupper a plan, and while I appreciate that this adds to the tension of exploring space, I'm keen to see the end.

What a game. Only discovered it yesterday. So many cool moments going in blind.
    Being eaten by a giant space monster, exploring the twins only for the fcuking sun to blow up, those massive water twisters under the atmosphere of the larger planet, brittle falling apart around you, falling into that black hole to realise I'm on the other side of the galaxy and probably dead, getting too close to the sun and getting sucked in by its gravity, exploring the twins only to get stuck in a dead-end room only to watch the sand rise until I'm eventually crushed to death, floating through that ship wreckage.
    I feel like there's more I'm forgetting. It's such an amazing concept.

Just finished it. I'm so happy i played this. Absolutely beautiful.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just finished it. I'm so happy i played this. Absolutely beautiful.

I was listening to the soundtrack a lot afterwards.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was listening to the soundtrack a lot afterwards.

Main Title, Travelers, and Timber Heath were in my top 10 according to my end of year review email form spotify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Started playing this at the weekend - six hours in so far (and being quite thorough with the missions). It's really grabbed me already.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Started playing this at the weekend - six hours in so far (and being quite thorough with the missions). It's really grabbed me already.

Missions? I think you're looknig for the 'The Outer Worlds' thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108749527

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Missions? I think you're looknig for the 'The Outer Worlds' thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108749527

:o

:o

You're not the first and you probably won't be the last :D

I fully didn't know this game existed because they occupied the same space in brain up until very recently

End game chat and questions:
    So, the Nomai knew about the impending end of the universe, they go looking for the eye of the universe (unidentified signal) in the hopes of answers, happen upon the OW solar system, crash into Dark Bramble and shoot off 3 escape pods:
    1 doesn't make it out of DB and all Nomai on board die while following the signal to the Vessel.
    2 lands on Brittle Hollow, build the hanging city settlement and the South pole Observatory to try find the Eye. They mess about with the black hole at the core and build a space station near the white hole.
    3 lands on Ember Twin, build the sunless city and high energy lab to perform experiements on how to find the Eye.

With their knowledge of warp tech, they build towers on the Ash Twin that enables warping to their corresponding planets and build the ash twin project at the core of AT.

At some point, they build a Probe Cannon that orbits Giants Deep that needs a huge amount of energy to shoot a probe in a random direction and returns the coordinates (how would they know if the coordinates were actually for the Eye).

Anyway, they figure a supernova would be enough to power the canon (bit overkill if you ask me) which would obviously kill them all so they make statutes to capture memories, start ash twin which would warp everything back 22 minutes so the Nomai would wake up with memories of the experiment and once they find the correct coordinates, stop the ash twin project to stop the loop and avoid.

So next is to generate the supernova. They build a sun station which someway would have kicked this iff but it didn't work. Unable to start a supernova, they turn their attention to the Quantum Moon that they spotted but couldn't land on. After studying Quantum shards, they determine the moon moves to 6 locations, 5 are known planets and they determined the 6th location may be the Eye. They treat the moon as a pilgrimage, land there, built a statue that would travel with the moon in an effort to find the 6th location (wouldn't closing your eyes and opening them move the moon?).

While this is happening, the Interloper comet enters the solar system so the Nomai investigate. They find it filled with lethal Ghost Matter and know it's only a matter of time before it breaks apart killing everyone in the solar system so they decide to abandon the outer Wilds. (Is this what killed them all off? The Interloper is still intact or does the matter spread every time it gets too close to the sun and the ice melts before refreezing on the outskirts again?)

Cut to the start of the game (how long time hads passed before Nomai arrived?). You, launching into space with the Nomai knowledge found by your space agencies previous team, go looking for more info. But first you link with a Nomai statue that stores your memories on ash twin project.

It just so happens that your sun is at the of life and goes supernova while you're exploring. This kicks off the ash twin project, warping everything back 22 minutes and shooting a probe from the canon which can be seen at the start of every loop and also confirms the random direction as you can see it shooting different directions each time. (So how are the coordinates always the same?)

Your memory gets restored and you wake up 22 minutes prior to supernova until you manually stop the ash twin project and find the Eye yourself.

If anyone manages to read all that and can answer my questions or fill in bits i missed, would be much appreciated.

Absolutely incredible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

End game chat and questions:
    (how would they know if the coordinates were actually for the Eye).
    The probe records the location (with those statues) and by recording the location, the Eye can no longer move (for quantum... reasons, like how the quantum stones and moon stop moving if you have a picture of them)
    Anyway, they figure a supernova would be enough to power the canon (bit overkill if you ask me) which would obviously kill them all so they make statutes to capture memories, start ash twin which would warp everything back 22 minutes so the Nomai would wake up with memories of the experiment and once they find the correct coordinates, stop the ash twin project to stop the loop and avoid.
    The supernova is to power the time reset. When they first made the black holes they realised that what was put in was coming out slightly before it went in (i.e. they created time travel), so they had the idea that a large enough power source could extend the amount of time something could be sent backwards in time.
    (wouldn't closing your eyes and opening them move the moon?).
    Maybe? Although if you are standing directly on it, maybe that is enough awareness to count as observation and cause it to stay in place?
    (Is this what killed them all off? The Interloper is still intact or does the matter spread every time it gets too close to the sun and the ice melts before refreezing on the outskirts again?)
    The interloper only opened once, releasing the ghost matter killing all of the Nomai. The ghost matter eventually dispersed
    (how long time hads passed before Nomai arrived?).
    100 of thousands of years ( I think on the probe station it mentions how many cycles its been through, or maybe its the sun station?)
    (So how are the coordinates always the same?)
    The statues that record the probes exploration satisfy the observation requirement to stop quantum objects from moving.

@ Mark Hamill - great explanation - the one thing I'm confused by, and I'll admit I have yet to complete the game (however I know exactly what I must do as I have
    found the warp core, got the co-ordinates, and have found the vessel
    so hope to get a run in tonight and finish it.

my query is -
    The Nomai never met the Hearthians - how did the time loop occur and presumably keep repeating without them being aware of each other? If the probe cannon fires at the start of every loop - how come no one is aware of what it is?

@ Mark Hamill - great explanation - the one thing I'm confused by, and I'll admit I have yet to complete the game (however I know exactly what I must do as I have
    found the warp core, got the co-ordinates, and have found the vessel
    so hope to get a run in tonight and finish it.

my query is -
    The Nomai never met the Hearthians - how did the time loop occur and presumably keep repeating without them being aware of each other? If the probe cannon fires at the start of every loop - how come no one is aware of what it is?
    The cannon firing is set off by Ash Twin project sending data back in time when the supernova triggers it I think.

The Nomai actually did meet the Hearthians, but the Hearthians hadn't evolved to a fully sentient race yet. You find notes on their encounter with them on the home planet down in the caves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If I recall correctly, the Nomai never actually fired off the supernova, so they never actually went into the time loop. The Interloper exploded and wiped them out, and left all there tech there, ready and waiting for a supernova, which just happens naturally eventually.
    Also, the probe wasn't launched to find the quantum moon, it was launched to find the eye of the universe. Unlike the quantum moon, the eye doesn't move location.
    Blinking or closing your eyes could move the quantum moon, but it'd be a bit hard to program blinking/closing your eyes in game in a way that makes the game fun. The way that they've done it, with the towers is a nice way of explaining it/turning it into a puzzle.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the Nomai never actually fired off the supernova, so they never actually went into the time loop. The Interloper exploded and wiped them out, and left all there tech there, ready and waiting for a supernova, which just happens naturally eventually.
    Also, the probe wasn't launched to find the quantum moon, it was launched to find the eye of the universe. Unlike the quantum moon, the eye doesn't move location.
    Blinking or closing your eyes could move the quantum moon, but it'd be a bit hard to program blinking/closing your eyes in game in a way that makes the game fun. The way that they've done it, with the towers is a nice way of explaining it/turning it into a puzzle.
    If you closed your eyes you'd move with it anyway based on the quantum mechanic in the game where you turn off your lights and if you're standing on or in a quantum object it will move and bring you with it.

so - is whats currently called
    the interloper, merely a fragment of an original comet or mass of ghost matter - I just realized I still didn't finish out inside of the comet

so - is whats currently called
    the interloper, merely a fragment of an original comet or mass of ghost matter - I just realized I still didn't finish out inside of the comet
    I think the Interloper is the same as it was when the Nomai found it, just that the Ghost Matter has already spread around the system and the Hearthians know how to avoid it and got lucky in that it didn't wipe them out too. Possibly because they were safe down in their caves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If you closed your eyes you'd move with it anyway based on the quantum mechanic in the game where you turn off your lights and if you're standing on or in a quantum object it will move and bring you with it.
    Yeah, I just don't see how they could build the quantum moon puzzle around blinking, you'd be swapping location every ten seconds, you'd stroll it without realising what was going on.

Yeah, I just don't see how they could build the quantum moon puzzle around blinking, you'd be swapping location every ten seconds, you'd stroll it without realising what was going on.
    It would work the same as it does now i think. if the moon moves you would be unaware as you're standing on it, you're location on the moon wouldn't change. The tower is the object you need to move once you're there, not the moon itself.

I'm pretty sure I lost the moon a couple of times because I boosted too high and looked away from the ground now I think of it.

I am determined to not look anything up

Currently trying to figure out how to get into the core of the water planet...
    I know its something to do with those jellyfish...
    I met the guy in the center of the bramble planet and he heavily hinted towards that...
    there are frozen jellyfish on a bramble island...
    the island also gets thrown into space...
    I've checked under the island while in space...
    can't see anything on the underside...
    I thought I could thaw the jellyfish with the camp fire or my rockets.... no effect...
    I'm thinking I might be able to walk through a bramble into the frozen jellyfish... no luck so far...
    hmmmm...
    the island also crashes into another island...
    maybe I have to wait a certain amount of time...

Lol an island just
    smashed me through the currents by accident

It would work the same as it does now i think. if the moon moves you would be unaware as you're standing on it, you're location on the moon wouldn't change. The tower is the object you need to move once you're there, not the moon itself.

I'm pretty sure I lost the moon a couple of times because I boosted too high and looked away from the ground now I think of it.

That absolutley does happen, I was trying to see out over one or two of the enclosed areas and when you hit the clouds / can see space its gone. you can get around it by
    using your probe to just take a photo of the ground -
    - i used to fire it at the door of the tower and try and have a bit of the tower in the picture as well to stop that from moving too

also - did the
    tower of quantum puzzles
    make anyone else really long for a new portal game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am determined to not look anything up

Without spoiling anything, but spoilered just in case you don’t want any general hints,
    make sure to have an even more thorough look around Dark Bramble.

• Advertisement

Just finished. I'll need to give some time to think through the ending, but that was something really special.

Advertisement