Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found the easiest way to land on it was
    basically crash into the tail where the stranded noami ship is so you are in its gravity well. Then lightly boost around to the front where the crack melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its not the landing I had diffculty with,
    its the fact that the ice didn't physically melt! the last 2 times I tried it, the ice only melted on the approach where it hit the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Its not the landing I had diffculty with,
    its the fact that the ice didn't physically melt! the last 2 times I tried it, the ice only melted on the approach where it hit the sun.

Oh,
    it actually melts every time it gets closer to the sun and then refreezes i believe. At the start of a loop, head straight for it and stand on the ice while it heads to the sun early on. If you miss it, just stay on until it's next orbit [/spiller]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Oh,
    it actually melts every time it gets closer to the sun and then refreezes i believe. At the start of a loop, head straight for it and stand on the ice while it heads to the sun early on. If you miss it, just stay on until it's next orbit

ah that makes more sense, I was assuming that it didn't go until its final orbit bought it close to the sun.

I found it very tricky to see where I was supposed to go there, I knew what I was meant to do and when just struggled to see the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This got Eurogamers game of the year, delighted at that.

See here.

Well happy ****ing new year, a NoClip doc on the making of Outer Wilds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Completely lost in this game. I'm just wandering around each planet translating things, is that the entire game? Feel like I'm missing something. If it won so many awards it can't be it.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Completely lost in this game. I'm just wandering around each planet translating things, is that the entire game? Feel like I'm missing something. If it won so many awards it can't be it.

The end game is to
    stop the loop from happening
    . The translations describe why the loop happens and points you to new clues. Check the log on your ship. Translations can provide updates there with question marks and advise where you need to be looking next to make progress.

ShaneU wrote: »

Keep exploring things you haven't found yet. The story and direction will reveal itself to you. If aren't enamored by the exploration, maybe the game isn't for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Out on Steam today for anyone who was holding off.

Just to reiterate: it is the best game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,835 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Any idea what time this will be available to buy at? Do you know if it supports ultrawide?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

deceit wrote: »
    Any idea what time this will be available to buy at? Do you know if it supports ultrawide?

I'm guessing at 1800, aka 9am PST or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Thanks for the heads up, just purchased and downloading it now :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

deceit wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, just purchased and downloading it now :).

Ah, to have the wonders of Outer Wilds ahead of you to discover :)

Yes go in blind, lame and what ever else keeps you from knowing what to expect or knowing about what the game is. Just play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

At the end of this , seems to be a bug regarding the teleport to the ash twin core I seemed to be just getting sucked up but the sand have reached this before but it's not consistent? Read online that other people are finding it buggy too?

At the end of this , seems to be a bug regarding the teleport to the ash twin core I seemed to be just getting sucked up but the sand have reached this before but it's not consistent? Read online that other people are finding it buggy too?

Aw man you're at a great bit. So, you do just like the below but sometimes you go to the planet instead of the core? I found out hard to do first few times but then managed it consistently after that. Would be annoying of a bug made it random.

Aw man you're at a great bit. So, you do just like the below but sometimes you go to the planet instead of the core? I found out hard to do first few times but then managed it consistently after that. Would be annoying of a bug made it random.

Yeah I have done it three or more times I am at the end loop now , getting warp drive etc etc. But sometimes when the ash rainfall let's call it goes over it sucks me up to ember twin , and other times it teleports me , maybe my timing is off but jesus it's ruined the end game for me with frustration more than anything .

Also they have put a cactus near the doorway under the bridge so I resorted to parking my ship on the broken roof to act as a roof and that worked twice.

One of the times actually
    got to the ship in d bramble past the anglerfish and the fecking sun went supernova

• Advertisement

One of the times actually
    got to the ship in d bramble past the anglerfish and the fecking sun went supernova

Aw sickner, happened me as well. Man, just thinking about this game, it's so ****ing good.

Aw sickner, happened me as well. Man, just thinking about this game, it's so ****ing good.

It's definitely something different , will try complete it a few more times and if not will look up the ending

It's definitely something different , will try complete it a few more times and if not will look up the ending

Aw stay at it man, it's totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

23rd time have clicked on this thread thinking it was Outer Worlds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Rather amusingly, the writer for Outer Wilds was hired by Obsidian, and has now written for the Outer Worlds DLC.

https://twitter.com/VanKelsing/status/1286347404548149254

I remember owning Outer Worlds and liking it but trading it for something else that came out after just reaching the 2nd planet. This news is tempting me to pick it back up.

Also, just in case people haven't sen it, the making of No Clip doc is brilliant.

Also gave up on Outer Worlds very quickly. I feel like I've played it before. FPS with RPG mechanics isn't a great mix imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Also gave up on Outer Worlds very quickly. I feel like I've played it before. FPS with RPG mechanics isn't a great mix imo.

I'm not sure it was a problem with the mix of mechanics, after all the hype it just felt like a retread of Fallout. Just got bored around the second planet.

Wilds was superb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭recyclops

i have started wilds 7 times now thinking i am the problem, but i just cant get into it, nothing makes me want to play the game, I have got off the initial planet but i dont know why i keep turning it off and never returnng.

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    i have started wilds 7 times now thinking i am the problem, but i just cant get into it, nothing makes me want to play the game, I have got off the initial planet but i dont know why i keep turning it off and never returnng.

I remember feeling iffy about it before even taking off in my ship. Got into space and didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing. Headed to the closest object, the Attlerock moon, found a couple of things there and became hooked.

Advertisement