Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I thought C&C bought the Church?

I believe they did, just read that in the main Wetherspoons thread.

Tells ya what my local bar man knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

They wanted a "Behind closed doors" price fixing agreement to not sell the drinks cheap. Witherspoons turned them down and stopped a 60 million contract.

If the agreement was on paper they would have been done for price fixing.

I heard it was because they wanted the owners of Weatherspoon to personally guarantee payment of there delivery's.They never asked for that before ,and as Weatherspoon made 80 million sterling profit last year ,they did not understand Heikekens needing it .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11281845/Wetherspoon-stops-serving-Heineken-in-a-row-over-supply.html

P.S,Heineken can bully their customers in Ireland ,but may have taken on more than they can chew with Wetherspoon .Now they have lost a huge amount of sales in the UK .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

great news 3-4 euros for a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bagelbytes1

braddun wrote: »
    great news 3-4 euros for a beer

Majority of their pints are 2.50 actually. They don't have any beers over 3 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Also a pint is just 2 euro ,as i understand it if ordered with a meal .Decent Irish Breakfast for 4.95 too i believe .Whats not to like .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I see this place being huge for students with €2.50 to €3 pints along with cheap food before a night out on the piss.

Its also going to be a fantastic place in the town as its less the a 2 min walk to the other pubs and nightclubs.

I hope myself when this opens it will make the other pubs drop there prices a bit. Once paid €13.40 :eek: in Rev for a Double Vodka and Coke so anyone who can give me that for less then 10 euros will have my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

it all sounds reasonably positive and its great to see business opening up, my only concern is that is taken over by rough crowd due to cheap beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Why talk bout rough crowds before place even opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

debok wrote: »
    Why talk bout rough crowds before place even opens.

you right, i dont wish to be negative and i really hope my initial thoughts were way off the mark. It seems like the one in Dublin is getting good press so good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Unlikely it will be taken over by a rough crowd. Wetherspoons run very respectable houses.

I, for one, can't wait. It might be a bar in the city that I, as someone over 30, will feel comfortable in.

I know the following statement makes me officially old, but I was in a bar in town last weekend with some friends I hadn't seen for ages. We wanted to talk. But the music in the place was so loud we had to shout.

There's no need for that, and I think Wetherspoons' policy of no music will work a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Wetherspoons didn't go ahead with this in the end. Have that feeling! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

callaway92 wrote: »
    For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Wetherspoons didn't go ahead with this in the end. Have that feeling! :/

Its going ahead, 40/45 new jobs in the town when they open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Wetherspoons spokesman was on radio this morning said it be open by middle of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Its going ahead, 40/45 new jobs in the town when they open.
    debok wrote: »
    Wetherspoons spokesman was on radio this morning said it be open by middle of 2015.

Good to hear!. . . but still. . . .

I'll wait and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

callaway92 wrote: »
    ...I'll wait and see!

It's not an Irish company - so I believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

With Wetherspoons & the new old cinema having reopened, it could breathe fresh life back into the city centre in the evenings. Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Saw some work happening on the Quayside Tavern this morning. Anything happening there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

anto9 wrote: »
    They have another i believe in Blanchardstown ,Dublin ,which seems more suited ,as its a very working class area.

Not open yet, to open in 2015.

Trond wrote: »
    I heard the Church at the end of Henry St. is a done deal.

No, just talk.

The owner got financial support from his bank and C&C instead.

C&C have entered into an exclusive supply agreement with that pub.

I hope myself when this opens it will make the other pubs drop there prices a bit. Once paid €13.40 :eek: in Rev for a Double Vodka and Coke so anyone who can give me that for less then 10 euros will have my business.

Here is the menu:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

Double vodka = 5.95 + 1.50 for Coca-cola = 7.45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Geuze wrote: »

I wonder how long the gingerman will last when this opens with €2.50 pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Their pints are€2.95 in Ireland £2.50 in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

They are having a laugh if they think Irish people are going to drink Traditional English Ales.

Everything else about wetherspoons is great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

O Riain wrote: »
    They are having a laugh if they think Irish people are going to drink Traditional English Ales.

Yeah, if its not american piss I'm not drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bagelbytes1

wellboytoo wrote: »

No, majority of their pints are 2.50 here, with the remainder being 2.95. Look at the menu posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

i think it will have a knock on for the GingerMan and City Arms good and bad. People will look at now going into the city center for a few pints so they may drink in a few places, same goes for TH Doolins if it ever gets going again. It may damage them food wise though because the menu ls comprehnsive casual food wise.

I'll drink em lol, you are right though they may not take off with the english ale, however 5 years ago it would have been mad to consider craft beer, german wheat beers and belgian beers that are now very popular!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

wellboytoo wrote: »

£1.50 pints of craft ale in Derry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Since moving to London I must say I've been converted to ales, I'm even a card carrying CAMRA member now. What's more it depresses me when I come home and only see the usual Heineken, Carslberg, Guinness and mass-produced drivel on tap in pubs. What's more the guest ales are often well below £2 a pint at Wetherspoons, hard to beat that.

However now that Wetherspoons is ending its deal with Heineken because of hassle over Irish prices it will be interesting to see what they end up with on tap, both in the UK and Ireland, especially stouts. They already don't have Guinness in the Dublin pub, now they won't have Beamish or Murphys either.

And regarding affecting the Gingerman negatively, I'm not so sure. Wetherspoons is great for some cheap food and drink but there's very rarely much atmosphere that would cause you to stay the night. If anything I could see people starting in Wetherspoons and moving on to nearby pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

it will be interesting to see what they end up with on tap, both in the UK and Ireland, especially stouts. They already don't have Guinness in the Dublin pub, now they won't have Beamish or Murphys either.

They have gotten Marstons Stout in now I believe since last Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

dzilla wrote: »
    They have gotten Marstons Stout in now I believe since last Wednesday

Haven't tried that one. Will need to give it a go if I can find it.

Advertisement