Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Gillman1998

I was in Cork at the weekend so of course I paid a visit to Wetherspoons to see what’s in store for us. If you know the chain then you’ll know the feel and the layout and Cork was just like being in London or Leeds, same everything.

Good beers including 4 or 5 hand pulled ales including Adnams Ghost Ship, all priced at €2.75 and the ones I tried were in excellent condition. No Guinness apparently but Beamish was €2.95

Food was good and quick, burgers €7.90 or €9.90 with a pint or a glass of wine.

All in all I thought it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

I was in Cork at the weekend so of course I paid a visit to Wetherspoons to see what’s in store for us. If you know the chain then you’ll know the feel and the layout and Cork was just like being in London or Leeds, same everything.

Good beers including 4 or 5 hand pulled ales including Adnams Ghost Ship, all priced at €2.75 and the ones I tried were in excellent condition. No Guinness apparently but Beamish was €2.95

Food was good and quick, burgers €7.90 or €9.90 with a pint or a glass of wine.

All in all I thought it was great.

And the app is very handy to be able to order from your table and pay by PayPal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Long time coming. I heard May 2020 opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

Screw that Brexit supporting heathen .

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

decies wrote: »
    Screw that Brexit supporting heathen .

Screw those Palestinian killing Israelis from Teva - they should be gone from this town, and bring their 600 jobs with them! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Screw those Palestinian killing Israelis from Teva - they should be gone from this town, and bring their 600 jobs with them! 🙄

And I have issues with the Saudi backed North Quay development. I don't know very much about Alhokair and from where his wealth originates or his connections to the royal family.

I tried him on forbes and this is all I could find
    https://www.forbes.com/profile/fawaz-alhokair/#7d4453be424a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Stupid comment Israel and Palestine have damn all to to do with us , brexit is literally on our door step !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MoashoaM wrote:

Spotted that alright, bit of a story there I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Stupid comment Israel and Palestine have damn all to to do with us , brexit is literally on our door step !!

My point is, his opinion on brexit can’t really hurt us now can it? If you were to look at the ethics behind every investment in this country you’d probably have a moral dilemma after every second rock you look under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Brexit is a storm in a teacup. Fuelled by the age of fake news, social media and the anxiety fuelled culture of the new millenium the masses are conditioned to accept bad things are on the horizon! Does anyone remember the 1980's?... a decade of deep recession yet we all survived! I was only a kid @ the time but unlike today there was a sense of community and people tried to get on with things as best they could. Life was simpler. Today if something horrible happens on the other side of this large planet its immediately beamed onto our TV, computer, mobile screens instantaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

MoashoaM wrote: »
    And I have issues with the Saudi backed North Quay development. I don't know very much about Alhokair and from where his wealth originates or his connections to the royal family.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/fawaz-alhokair/#7d4453be424a

Don't shop or visit there then. Simple.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Don't shop or visit there then. Simple.

Thanks for the instruction.

Brexit is a storm in a teacup. Fuelled by the age of fake news, social media and the anxiety fuelled culture of the new millenium the masses are conditioned to accept bad things are on the horizon! Does anyone remember the 1980's?... a decade of deep recession yet we all survived! I was only a kid @ the time but unlike today there was a sense of community and people tried to get on with things as best they could. Life was simpler. Today if something horrible happens on the other side of this large planet its immediately beamed onto our TV, computer, mobile screens instantaneously.

Oh you can be damn sure, brexit won't be good in the long run, most certainly for the uk itself, we potentially could be watching the beginning of the end of the uk, there's a possibility it may break up here, as I'm not the only one thinking this, oh and I'm not a millenial, brexit most certainly isn't a storm in a teacup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Latest planning application for this allowing for changes they had to make to the bar layout, fire escapes etc, due for decision by 11th - that's Saturday so we'll call it Monday.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/19849/0

Thats a series pub capacity wise.

Latest planning application for this allowing for changes they had to make to the bar layout, fire escapes etc, due for decision by 11th - that's Saturday so we'll call it Monday.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/19849/0

I like what I see here. Very expansive. Can't wait to see Arundel square come back to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Dexpat

Whatever you think about Wethersoons as a pub, they do a really good job fitting out any new pubs they do. I was in the Silver Penny in Abbey St Dublin which they opened last year which used to be an old bank. They restored an old spiral stairecase and it's a really good finish inside with lots of different sections.

I see from the elevations in the planing application that they are keeping the ugly thick glass window on the upper floor of the Arundel Sq side which is a shame. It should bring life back to that part of town after 6pm which is great though. There have been a lot of delays but they finally seem to be ready now to start this straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was in the the silver penny today in dublin and It looked great with very reasonable prices on food and drink

Ours will hopefully be similar with it been an ex bank like the silver penny

The app ordering service can be a pain esp for people not into technology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ExoPolitic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was in the the silver penny today in dublin and It looked great with very reasonable prices on food and drink

The app is great to keep the craic going, you never need to leave your table to get another drink!

PTH2009 wrote: »

The app is class to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Dexpat

They re-submitted another application before Christmas making a few small changes. Planning approval was due this month. Doesn't seem to be anything yet.

The independent article says it will open in July. I know from passing the Silver Penny in Dublin regularly that when they start fitting out they don't mess around so it should be possible if they start soon. I like the name 'The Arundel Gate', better than a generic sounding pub name and fitting for the location.

Be great to see a bit of life there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

“… expected to open in July along Broad Street and Arundel Square on sites previously filled by derelict shops and a closed bank branch.”

God the way they twist things in press releases. Shops are derelict because they bought the site and left it empty for nearly ten years and go derelict. They were not derelict until Wetherspoons bought the site. Anyway, will be good for the area to have it open.

• Advertisement

Latest planning permission has now been granted.I wonder when will work commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Zero-hour contracts, just what Waterford needs and not a peep out of its Leftie politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Zero-hour contracts, just what Waterford needs and not a peep out of its Leftie politicians.

Do you really think this is the time to be bitter about a pub opening in a city you hate? Stay in and stay safe

It's the local politicians you should be bitter about, not a word out of any of them criticising their employment practices, pure exploitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Most are likely on part time jobs which probably suit many younger who are studying and make up most bar staff.

There are a lot of protections for zero hour contracts here.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Most are likely on part time jobs which probably suit many younger who are studying and make up most bar staff.

Wetherspoon are putting all capital projects on hold... They might not even survive this shutdown

Wetherspoon are putting all capital projects on hold... They might not even survive this shutdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brexit pub should suit one or two round here ;)

Jamie2k9 wrote:

What kind of protections would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Bards wrote: »
    Tim Martin is a tool, I hope Wetherspoon's go under, watch their share price tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I hope they never come to Waterford. Their owner is a Brexit supporter and is continuing to trade in a pandemic. I would rather spend my money in a local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I hope they never come to Waterford. Their owner is a Brexit supporter and is continuing to trade in a pandemic. I would rather spend my money in a local pub.
    A lot of their pubs will never reopen, the company is carrying a lot of debt and will find it hard to survive a prolonged shutdown, its ironic that because they didn't close in time they mite never reopen

A lot of other pubs are now boarded up and won't reopen.

I hope Irish people remember the terrible treatment that Tim Martin is doling out to his staff in this crisis, absolutely appalling behaviour. As much as I like a good pint of ale or semi-reasonable pub food, after this I wont be darkening their door (assuming there is one to darken).

• Advertisement

I hope Irish people remember the terrible treatment that Tim Martin is doling out to his staff in this crisis, absolutely appalling behaviour. As much as I like a good pint of ale or semi-reasonable pub food, after this I wont be darkening their door (assuming there is one to darken).

whats he at?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trust me, they won’t, if and when it eventually opens, people won’t care who owns it, they will go wherever they value is, and a new pub in the centre of town, will do well regardless of the politics attached to it.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats he at?

Tim Martin issued a video saying that wetherspoons would not be paying staff and the govt has committed to a wage for people made unemployed in the uk by the current situation. He mentioned as their business has slowed down other businesses have been inquiring about staff referencing tesco as looking for 20000 people. He said if you want to stay at home and draw the govt payment do, if you feel like working and going getting some work from tesco or the likes by all means do that and you will have 1st pref on wetherspoons jobs when they arise in the future.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Trust me, they won’t, if and when it eventually opens, people won’t care who owns it, they will go wherever they value is, and a new pub in the centre of town, will do well regardless of the politics attached to it.

100%

dzilla wrote: »
    Tim Martin issued a video saying that wetherspoons would not be paying staff and the govt has committed to a wage for people made unemployed in the uk by the current situation. He mentioned as their business has slowed down other businesses have been inquiring about staff referencing tesco as looking for 20000 people. He said if you want to stay at home and draw the govt payment do, if you feel like working and going getting some work from tesco or the likes by all means do that and you will have 1st pref on wetherspoons jobs when they arise in the future.

ah right arsehole then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

vriesmays wrote: »

These types of contracts are not possible in most cases, in Ireland.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contracts_without_specific_working_hours_zero_hours_contracts.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't agree with him about Brexit.

I didn't like his attitude during the COVID-19 pub closures.

However, I will return to his pubs, as he reduces the power of the dominant, overcharging brewers.

Other pub chains in Ireland buy in bulk, do not pass on the savings, and make 80% gross profits.

JDWS make 7.8% net profits.

Aquos76 wrote: »

I take your point although my comment was nothing to do with politics. I'm actually quite a fan of Wetherspoons, more to do with treating people decently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Geuze wrote: »
    I don't agree with him about Brexit.

I didn't like his attitude during the COVID-19 pub closures.

However, I will return to his pubs, as he reduces the power of the dominant, overcharging brewers.

Other pub chains in Ireland buy in bulk, do not pass on the savings, and make 80% gross profits.

JDWS make 7.8% net profits.

He is shafting his own staff at the worst time possible whilst making snide remarks telling them to go to Tesco for a job. He's a horrible pr1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This is what hes doing to his own people....

Advertisement