Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's finest

Options
  • 03-10-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I am sure I am not the only perturbed by the outbreak of tightrope walking across canals using load straps recently. Who do these people think they are flaunting themselves in their budgie smugglers, it is high time this cancer was eradicated.

G4WW6pn.jpg?1

I was monitoring the latest disgraceful incident for our community pressure group formed to oppose these displays when to my delight the Gardai arrived to put a sshtop to the matter, obligingly saying "None of this carry on, think of the children" as they did so.

w5uh3cF.jpg?1

However my pleasure was slightly tempered when the Guards offered to arrest me if I continued to take photos for our campaign group newsletter.
    E1r7q8O.jpg?1

I am on their side after all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

A deplorable use of trees (and load straps); a commendable use of our police force.

Count yourself lucky not to have felt the force of Templemores finest you rabble-rouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Walking a tight rope across that narrow canal seems stupid and the Gardai giving enough sh1t to stop it, also seems stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Slacklining. Harmless, good for balance and core strength. Didn't know it was illegal in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Slacklining. Harmless, good for balance and core strength. Didn't know it was illegal in Galway.

I'm actually curious under what grounds the Gardai can actually stop it - seems reasonable enough to me. Lives aren't exactly at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

"It is a example bad to children" was the reason given, somebody made a complaint, they marched up that canal like men on a mission, and they do hate a crusty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lives aren't exactly at risk.

Lives are at risk, they could fall and drown. For many people to be honest, if there wasnt a risk to life it wouldnt be worth doing.

To answer the OPs question, theres a new movie or fillum called "The Walk", where a guy tightrope walks across the twin towers so other people have been inspired to try similar but smaller projects. I agree the speedos are unnecessary, otherwise, what harm are they doing and how does it infringe on your liberty?

It's harmless fun, anyone who has a problem with it is basically an idiot.

"It is a example bad to children" was the reason given, somebody made a complaint, they marched up that canal like men on a mission, and they do hate a crusty.

Theres a guy breaking into number 56 right now. Thats a bad example to children. Hopefully a couple gendarme march up to him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkgf4ZB2P-bs_L441eytBSYPYof8oymB73B-aSM6Xtzr3XPnfC_g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

Gardai do something - they're a shower of killjoys
    Gardai do nothing - they're a shower of useless muppets!!

Yawn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Lives are at risk, they could fall and drown. For many people to be honest, if there wasnt a risk to life it wouldnt be worth doing.

They spent more time falling in than walking TBH, except for the girl, which lead me to muse that perhaps they had learned to rope walk on a correspondence course like those sold by "The Brother" in Flann O Briens's The Hard Life, though in that book the trainees's rope was string across the Liffey, a more hazardous trip to be sure. I can't recall exactly but i think the Guards got involved in that too, I remember "The Brother" damming them as "the sons of pig dealers" for their forwardness in trying to thwart some of his many schemes.

They spent more time falling in than walking TBH, except for the girl, which lead me to muse that perhaps they had learned to rope walk on a correspondence course like those sold by "The Brother" in Flann O Briens's The Hard Life, though in that book the trainees's rope was string across the Liffey, a more hazardous trip to be sure. I can't recall exactly but i think the Guards got involved in that too, I remember "The Brother" damming them as "the sons of pig dealers" for their forwardness in trying to thwart some of his many schemes.

I've not read it. Maybe these guys are practicing for the Liffey?

Honestly, I'd be more interested on what grounds the Garda could arrest you for taking photos.

Honestly, I'd be more interested on what grounds the Garda could arrest you for taking photos.

I don't want to say too much about it , I just got a call from Mill Street to say "We are keeping that thread you started on Boards under observation and would you ever tax that vehicle of yours". They were are able to identify me CSI style, using the smudge of my fingerprint in the third pic I posted.

Troll alert.

It's a pity they can't as they could hover up loads of idiot water protesters that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

yeah, definitely you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I love when people try to get outraged and make total non event into a big hullabullo

I would imagine that I could be arrested for failing to comply with direction of a member of an Garda.
    i.e. Stop taking pictures and move on, the same would possibly have applied to the rope walkers.

I am not outraged BTW, just quietly amused, it was slightly Father Tedesque, they did in truth say "none of this carry on" and mention "bad example to children", I wasn't the only one to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I read the OP in Keith Finnegan's voice and it worked fantastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's harmless fun, anyone who has a problem with it is basically an idiot.

Why is it idiotic to see the very real potentional for disaster which will translate to personal suffering and huge potential cost to the taxpayer if something goes wrong?

At simplest they break trees that have to be replaced. At worst they fall in and require the emergency services to fish them out and spend time in hospital on the countries buck.If those things can be avoided, they should be. There shouldn't be a free for all to just injure and kill ourselves for the laugh using public property as props safe in the knowledge the tax payer funded services will pick up the pieces. I think the guards were right to step in and tell them to wrap it up. We have enough state sponsered Darwin Award winners without encouraging more of them. The guards had a legitimate point in saying it sets a bad example for even more impressionable,stupid people to follow suit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We're hardly talking about Niagra falls here? :confused:

You'd be more likely to be beaten to death by the Guards Rodney King style (so keep that camera rolling redarmyblues) than manage to somehow kill yourself by falling three feet off a tightrope into that canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why is it idiotic to see the very real potentional for disaster which will translate to personal suffering and huge potential cost to the taxpayer if something goes wrong?

At simplest they break trees that have to be replaced. At worst they fall in and require the emergency services to fish them out and spend time in hospital on the countries buck.If those things can be avoided, they should be. There shouldn't be a free for all to just injure and kill ourselves for the laugh using public property as props safe in the knowledge the tax payer funded services will pick up the pieces. I think the guards were right to step in and tell them to wrap it up. We have enough state sponsered Darwin Award winners without encouraging more of them. The guards had a legitimate point in saying it sets a bad example for even more impressionable,stupid people to follow suit too.

I don't think there was much threat to the guys in question. I know the current and power of the water can be deceptive but that's such a narrow canal and slow moving current, there was no threat...which makes doing it somewhat pointless and stupid.

I'd like to think somebody tipped off the Gardai and they just stopped them to keep the peace. Keep some old biddy out of their hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

That looks class but would somebody think of the trout!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Treading a fine line between heroic and stupid.

Maybe the guards had seen some young buck do it once with a line of bailin' twine and decided to stop this mockery of the true art.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Tis all fun and games until somebody smacks their head on a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

sets a bad example? What law is this

I understand guards have to respond to calls, but if there is no law being broken, the guards should just move on to their next issue

Is this what you want Ireland to become a nanny state on easy issues while ignoring the real problems.

Potential cost to the taxpayer?
    Lets all stay at home on our computers after working 50 hours to pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My cousin is a cop in Dublin. He says that he hates having to respond to calls that waste his time. I guess this is one of them.

There was probably a complaint from a member of the public and there is probably a law being broken not dissimilar to cycling on a pedestrian street or graffiti.

Perhaps they are relatively non-serious crimes until someone gets injured by a cyclist on Shop Street or racist slogans are spray painted across a building.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    My cousin is a cop in Dublin. He says that he hates having to respond to calls that waste his time. I guess this is one of them.

There was probably a complaint from a member of the public and there is probably a law being broken not dissimilar to cycling on a pedestrian street or graffiti.

Perhaps they are relatively non-serious crimes until someone gets injured by a cyclist on Shop Street or racist slogans are spray painted across a building.

Let's imagine the guards arrived, walked off after saying "continue away to your hearts content lads, no law being broken here" and then one of them falls and seriously injures or kills himself. Or imagine they leave and tomorrow kids try the same act and get hurt the next day. There'd be an outcry of why it was let continue, how did the guards walk idly by without saying anything. The guards are in an impossible position in these situations.

• Advertisement

sets a bad example? What law is this

I understand guards have to respond to calls, but if there is no law being broken, the guards should just move on to their next issue

Is this what you want Ireland to become a nanny state on easy issues while ignoring the real problems.

Potential cost to the taxpayer?
    Lets all stay at home on our computers after working 50 hours to pay tax.

The guards are there not only to enfore the letter or the law but also to ensure public safety and public order. That often means acting in advance of trouble or issuing a warning before somethings gets out of hand.
    Breaking trees in a public amenity area would be an offence. I think they acted well within their remit and not in any over the top manner.

Advertisement