Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's finest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus lads. "Galway, the adventure capital!"

Nobody said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

well technically they are obstructing a public walk way.

Also if they slip near the canal wall and split there head off it.

They could just as easily, stick two metal poles in there back garden and tie it across that.

If you want to practice tight rope walking you should have your own area to do so.

I'd imagine it comes under the performers in a public area laws, in which case you need a permit. Like you do on shop street.

afaik for certain performers on shop street, particularly the ones during the arts festival have to attain certain permits for their acts. i.e fire breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

We should definitely think about putting up barriers along the beaches in Salthill. It's not really on that the public have unrestricted access to the Atlantic Ocean all year round, when there are only lifeguards employed during the summer months! There are dangerous tides, rogue waves, and whatnot. Imagine what could happen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Pfff....do it over a motorway and I'll be impressed.

The guards are there not only to enfore the letter or the law but also to ensure public safety and public order. That often means acting in advance of trouble or issuing a warning before somethings gets out of hand.
    Breaking trees in a public amenity area would be an offence. I think they acted well within their remit and not in any over the top manner.

This tight rope walking thing has become very popular in cork city, I see people doing it regularly between trees in a number of parks and have never seen anyone have a problem with it or the guards give a damn. It's no more dangerous there, less even as they are falling into water rather than 5 feet or more onto the ground. I've watched people so it a good few times and it's pretty harmless you just jump off it you are going to fall.

Probably as much chance of getting hurt playing soccer in the park. It's idiotic bothering with these people who are just having a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'd be almost certain that the law being broken would be swimming in the millrace (it's not a canal!). That little island the other side of the millrace is also not public accessible and it's possibly trespassing to be on it. They had to swim across to set the line, or drop down onto it from above, or climb a gate. Basically they shoudn't have been in the water or on that part of millrace quaywall.

It's all fun and games until a trout jumps while you're walking across the strap and flys up the leg of your pantaloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

The guards are there not only to enfore the letter or the law but also to ensure public safety and public order. That often means acting in advance of trouble or issuing a warning before somethings gets out of hand.

:pac::pac::pac: over 130 road deaths each year,
    numerous people drown, the list goes on,

I want to see your idea of utopia

There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always—do not forget this, Winston—always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.
    — Part III, Chapter III, Nineteen Eighty-Four

also i know its only a film, but for people who dont want to read books,
    quite a good film too

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Eeden wrote: »
    We should definitely think about putting up barriers along the beaches in Salthill. It's not really on that the public have unrestricted access to the Atlantic Ocean all year round, when there are only lifeguards employed during the summer months! There are dangerous tides, rogue waves, and whatnot. Imagine what could happen!

A bit half handed. We should wall off the entire Island. Put barb wire at the top with sharp shooters for anyone who feels adventurous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

syklops wrote: »
    A bit half handed. We should wall off the entire Island. Put barb wire at the top with sharp shooters for anyone who feels adventurous.

So Donald Trump's vision of the United States then?

Sounds great, keep all those pesky Mexicans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Sounds great, keep all those pesky Mexicans out!

Careful now, Galway's economy has become increasingly reliant on burrito sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are the Guards banned from smiling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

This tight rope walking thing has become very popular in cork city, I see people doing it regularly between trees in a number of parks and have never seen anyone have a problem with it or the guards give a damn. It's no more dangerous there, less even as they are falling into water rather than 5 feet or more onto the ground. I've watched people so it a good few times and it's pretty harmless you just jump off it you are going to fall.

The problem is far worse in rural areas since the closure of local police stations and the swimming trunks are far tighter too, local girleens and virtuous married ladies all along the grand and royal canals are constantly nauseated by the sight of these bulging sacks as they go for their daily constitutional, will nobody think of our womenfolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

will nobody think of our womenfolk.

I will...

creepy-guy600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Discodog wrote: »
    Are the Guards banned from smiling ?

Tbf i wouldnt be smiling if I had to try and deal with this ****earsing, complete with wannabe cameraman sticking a camera in my face.

Breaking trees in a public amenity area would be an offence. I think they acted well within their remit and not in any over the top manner.

Slacklining uses straps, harmless to trees, doesn't even strip any bark.. Anyone involved in it would be aware of foliage damage and avoid it. This stinks of someone seeing someone do something unusual and having some sort of moral, civic micky fit overreaction. Gardai should have chatted to the lads involved, maybe advised against the budgie smugglers and used common sense ie:let them carry on.

The chances of injury is minimal. Canoeing the river, climbing the mountain, driving the car, cycling the bike, sliding down the hill in the snow etc.. has more risk.

The amount of stuff that goes on that they could/should be stopping... Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What if a couple of kids saw them and tried the same thing on one of the other canals?
    Guards were right.

What if a couple of kids saw them and tried the same thing on one of the other canals?
    Guards were right.

What if kids skateboarded?

(they do by the way)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What if kids skateboarded?

(they do by the way)

Hopefully copy the elders who do it in approved areas and wear protective gear.

Hopefully copy the elders who do it in approved areas and wear protective gear.

Do you think skateboarding elders started in a skate park? (read up on it) Should longboarders and cruisers not go to work/college/school on boards? Do you think parkour started in a designed area? Do you know how these healthy activities start and evolve? Should runners and cyclists only use a track? Do we need to designated areas for everything? No swimming in canals, surfing on certain beaches only?

Get out of it! Galway is a cool city. No need for militant carry on.

I wouldn't like to see a six year old trying parkour either just because he/she had seen a 20yo doing it earlier while passing a couple of buildings.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to see a six year old trying parkour either just because he/she had seen a 20yo doing it earlier while passing a couple of buildings.

Calm down.

It's ok. Six year old kids won't free run like a twenty year old. They can't. They will do their version of it... There may be a few bruises. But it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

empacher wrote: »
    well technically they are obstructing a public walk way.

It's a canal. Unless you're Jesus I think its a bit of a leap of faith to be labelling it as some kind of right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Guards were right.

They might have had a laugh. An important part of being a kid.
    They might have had some serious core-testing exercise. As not provided for by playstations.
    They might have fallen in and swum to the bank. Believe it or not, generations of kids up our way have made it a regular summer pastime. Divin' in de 'naller.

When dafuq did kids get so fragile?!? A dip in cold water won't hurt them. We used to chuck each other in for the laugh...

Guards were right.

Should we go mob handed and shut down the Eye cinema then? They're showing a slick Hollywood production about just this thing, (but a bit higher) and my god, it's a PG. :eek:

Honestly, if my kids were walking a tightrope across a canal I'd be happy. It's better than sitting in front of a PC all day watching bloody Minecraft videos.

What the hell is the world coming to. Kids are SUPPOSED to do stuff like this!

Edit. Beat to it by endacl. Well said sir!

FortySeven wrote: »
    It's a canal. Unless you're Jesus I think its a bit of a leap of faith to be labelling it as some kind of right of way.

The part where the strap goes from the tree acroos, that part is a walkway!

The part where the strap goes from the tree acroos, that part is a walkway!

No it isn't. It is the retaining wall of the canal.

theres about 4 feet between the tree and the start of the canal? is that not part of a public walkway?

theres about 4 feet between the tree and the start of the canal? is that not part of a public walkway?

I suppose you could walk there if you wanted to risk tripping into the canal, much better to walk on the designated path a few feet behind the garda though. (Just out of shot I believe?)

Yeah easier to walk that way. you questioned it perviously, so i was jut confirming.

Anyways this is really just arguing over nothing, techincally they are probably breaking the law. But without casusing anyone harm.

kind of like finishing drinking a can on the way to the pub.

I'd love to send this to fidelma healy eames and see how she over reacts, after her fraping video went viral I've being waiting for her next big thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

FortySeven wrote: »
    I suppose you could walk there if you wanted to risk tripping into the canal, much better to walk on the designated path a few feet behind the garda though. (Just out of shot I believe?)

If I saw an adult walking that close to the canal I'd report it to the Gardai immediately ... a kid could copy them and fall into the canal and get hurt

Advertisement