Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it permissible to travel to viewings outside of 2KM?

Options
  • 05-04-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I am staying in Kildare at the moment but have desperately been trying to find a small flat in Dublin the last few months. The number available seemed to increase when there was just a few case here but now there are very few, although around twice a week I will receive an alert.

Given the outbreak, is it permissible to travel to viewings? I wonder if a guard were to stop me would he accept travelling for a viewing essential or would he find me in breach of the law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

I am staying in Kildare at the moment but have desperately been trying to find a small flat in Dublin the last few months. The number available seemed to increase when there was just a few case here but now there are very few, although around twice a week I will receive an alert.

Given the outbreak, is it permissible to travel to viewings? I wonder if a guard were to stop me would he accept travelling for a viewing essential or would he find me in breach of the law?

Worst case is they will tell you to go home. It's not essential and someone will be along shortly to tell you you are risking lives but do your groceries beside the viewing and we will all feel better. As long as you aren't hugging the landlord or in an overcrowded space then I think it's probably reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I have just read somewhere else:
    Landlords are accommodation providers. Accommodation is an essential so landlord providing accommodation or maintaining accommodation would be entitled to travel for that purpose.

Still reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I have just read somewhere else:

Still reading.

Genuinely interested to hear where this quote comes from. All I could find about accommodation services was the list of essential services 28th March from gov.ie

Accommodation and Food Services
    hotels or similar providing essential accommodation (including homeless, direct provision and related services)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Genuinely interested to hear where this quote comes from.

It was another posters interpretation of what qualifies as essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/News/Speech_of_Taoiseach_Leo_Varadkar_27_March_2020.html

People should really pay attention. And also cop on. Travelling around viewing apartments? Really ?

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/News/Speech_of_Taoiseach_Leo_Varadkar_27_March_2020.html

People should really pay attention. And also cop on. Travelling around viewing apartments? Really ?

Accommodation is essential, you do not know my situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FWIW my opinion would be it's not essential unless you are homeless.

Anybody who currently has accommodation would be protected by the emergency legislation for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There is an exemption for

12. Rental & Leasing Activity

I don't know if your case would qualify? Try to do it online as much as possible. I would be very careful take precautions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

saabsaab wrote: »
    There is an exemption for

12. Rental & Leasing Activity

I don't know if your case would qualify? Try to do it online as much as possible. I would be very careful take precautions etc.

I thought that pertained to vehicles, especially ones used to move food and essential personnel around:

From gov.ie 28/3/20

Rental and Leasing Activities
    • rental and lease of cars
    • light motor vehicles and trucks necessary to support the provision of essential services

Graham wrote: »
    Anybody who currently has accommodation would be protected by the emergency legislation for the most part.

Without going into too much detail, unfortunately that does not help me.

Either way, I will obey the law, I was just unsure exactly what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I’m an estate agent. Letting an apartment does not come under an essential service. I had a maintenance guy go to an apartment block time repair a gate he was stopped and fined €150 by the guards as it’s not an essential service.
    I doubt you’ll find any agent actually doing physical viewings. A lot including the bigger agents are doing virtual viewings.
    Your health is essential OP, this is potentially a life and death scenario. Your situation is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

Every trip that everyone makes exposes themselves and others to risk of infection.
    The advice is to stay at home where possible.
    If its not possible then minimise the risk. You're an adult presumably so use your skills to make a judgement in that case in your own situation.
    There are very few situations where I could see this trip being justifiable but again you need to make your own judgement and be able potentially to explain this to a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The 2km thing is for being out walking/ for exercise. It's so loads of people don't turn up at beaches or Glendalough for a stroll...

You'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I thought that pertained to vehicles, especially ones used to move food and essential personnel around:

From gov.ie 28/3/20

Rental and Leasing Activities
    • rental and lease of cars
    • light motor vehicles and trucks necessary to support the provision of essential services

I stand corrected. I thought it was to do with properties as I didn't see the clarifications you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The 2km thing is for being out walking/ for exercise. It's so loads of people don't turn up at beaches or Glendalough for a stroll...
    Was this changed, or did I just take it up wrong? Someone I know was stopped and told they really shouldn't be travelling outside of 2km unless it was essential, they were let through though... wasn't an essential errand they were on either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Was this changed, or did I just take it up wrong? Someone I know was stopped and told they really shouldn't be travelling outside of 2km unless it was essential, they were let through though... wasn't an essential errand they were on either

Wasn’t changed. You’re allowed to take exercise within two km and to travel beyond that distance for essential travel like food shopping or taking care of family

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’m an estate agent. Letting an apartment does not come under an essential service. I had a maintenance guy go to an apartment block time repair a gate he was stopped and fined €150 by the guards as it’s not an essential service.
    I doubt you’ll find any agent actually doing physical viewings. A lot including the bigger agents are doing virtual viewings.
    Your health is essential OP, this is potentially a life and death scenario. Your situation is not.

I support the restrictions on movement but I’d love you to tell me under which law he was fined. As of yet, no lawful restrictions have been put in place, regulations are awaited and will likely only be enacted if there is widespread dismissal of the instructions to remain at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Did he invoice you for the 150e cost to him?

Just spoke with an estate agent who said they are holding viewings but the property will be completely empty, they will be outside but keep distance, and will leave the keys somewhere the individual viewer can pick up on their own and take a look.

I will contact the local Garda station and see if they can give me some sort of note to say it is permissible, otherwise I will not go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the 2km only applies to exercise
    if your business is essential the 2km does not apply
    if your business is non essential the 2km is not a waiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

This did not happen
    Why would you make it up !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm calling bullsh1t on this. As yet the govt guidelines are only advisory, they have not been enacted into law, or invoked. What was he fined for?

@op, there is no law stating that you can't travel, only advice and a govt request. Morally, it's your choice.

@op, there is no law stating that you can't travel, only advice and a govt request. Morally, it's your choice.

Really?

I thought it was being enforced some how, I did not know it was optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Really?

I thought it was being enforced some how, I did not know it was optional.

It's not optional, just a specific law to stop you from no non essential travel has not been enacted under ministerial order. The guards if they stop you have other measures to force you to turn around.
    Can you not just follow the guidelines ? They weren't created just for the craic.

Can you be more specific please? What law gives them the power to send you home?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can you not just follow the guidelines ? They weren't created just for the craic.
    If the OP is a lodger, they can be given 24 hours notice to leave at the drop of a hat. If any of the lodgers in the house get sick, the landlord/lady will probably clear house.

OP; travel light, dress well and bring proof that of the place you intend on viewing. The Garda may let you off, or may slap you with a fine.

Can you be more specific please? What law gives them the power to send you home?

Public order act to name one.

The public order act doesn't give power to turn someone around from a journey.

the_syco wrote: »
    If the OP is a lodger, they can be given 24 hours notice to leave at the drop of a hat. If any of the lodgers in the house get sick, the landlord/lady will probably clear house.

OP; travel light, dress well and bring proof that of the place you intend on viewing. The Garda may let you off, or may slap you with a fine.

I just explained my current living situation to a Garda, and the issues I am experiencing, again which I will not be getting into here, and they have given me permission to travel to viewing which I can show if stopped :)

• Advertisement

The public order act doesn't give power to turn someone around from a journey.

Argue that with a Guard see how it goes.

Advertisement