Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning - May Contain Meat!

• 02-10-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭

I propose we start a thread warning people of foods that contain meat. Not food that obviously contains meat, (eg hamburgers etc), but food that you wouldn't expect to contain meat (eg cakes, drinks etc).
    I think that the particular ingredient should be pointed out, and any links would also be appreciated.

This thread has come from a history of being severly disappointed by foods containing meat or meat by-products that really shouldn't, things like cakes, preserves and drinks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok yeah. I'd watch out for marshmellows, jelly, and many sweets. Ones like haribo, tic tacs etc. Anything with gelatin, cochineal, shellac etc. For example ggormet jelly beans say they have no gelatin on the front but contain shellac. There is also a list of E numbers which are not suitable for vegetarians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I was told years ago that Twix bars contain some form of animal fat?

I can see this being an interesting thread, even for an omnivore (me).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mars changed all their products to non vegetarian but quickly changed their minds. :D
    However some of them are still not vegetarian, twix is one all right.
    Here are the one's you can eat: http://www.marsconsumercare.co.uk/veg_prodlst.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Parmesan cheese, most pesto, most toothpaste, Fanta Orange, Guinness. Might think of more later...

Thanks for the headsup about shellac, Tara. Wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Shellac also known as E904. It is in nail polish, some hair sprays, and used as a binder in indian ink, among other things.

I have come across a breakfast cereal which contained beef gelatin. I can't remember the brand (it was at a friend's house and I spotted it on being offered cereal) but it was something with colouring or a topping, so not like your plain rice crispies or cornflakes.

Hundreds and thousands are worth reading the ingredient list. I know that supercook made one of their products veggie only last year.

Be wary of anything (like lidl/aldi jams that I've seen) that are red - that would be carmine aka carminic acid aka E120

Chocolate mousse also has gelatine, of course.

• Advertisement

Inglorious wrote: »
    Parmesan cheese, most pesto, most toothpaste, Fanta Orange, Guinness. Might think of more later...
    I wouldn't be 100% about the toothpaste. Glycerine (which I presume you are concerned about) is also known as glycerol (glycerine is usually the diluted form). It may be derived from either animal fats or vegetable fats, so usless you check with the company, you cannot be sure. I'm just starting a PhD based on conversion of glycerol, so I'm gonna damn well try to find out the sources for any stock I buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Ok yeah. I'd watch out for marshmellows, jelly, and many sweets. Ones like haribo, tic tacs etc. Anything with gelatin, cochineal, shellac etc. For example ggormet jelly beans say they have no gelatin on the front but contain shellac.
    Shellac also known as E904. It is in nail polish, some hair sprays, and used as a binder in indian ink, among other things.

Is shellac not suitable for veggies? I thought it was ok, along the lines of honey: from Wikipedia:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Once it was commonly believed that shellac was a resin obtained from the wings of an insect (order Hemiptera) found in India. In actuality, shellac is obtained from the secretion of the female insect, harvested from the bark of the trees where she deposits it to provide a sticky hold on the trunk. There is a risk that the harvesting process can scoop the insect up along with the secretion, leading to its death.
    Is the risk of death a lot higher than in honey collecting (harvesting?)?

EDIT: just read the rest of the article (This coating may not be considered as vegetarian as it may, and probably does, contain crushed insects. In the tablet manufacture trade, it is sometimes referred to as "beetlejuice" for this reason.:mad:)
    There is also a list of E numbers which are not suitable for vegetarians.

Here's one. (While looking for that, I also found this , a free application for your phone which details on all e-numbers, including if they could be sourced from animals)

I used to love Mr Kipling French Fancies until I found they contained cochineal :mad:. I went to their website, it seems that everything red contains it too.

shellac is like honey if they had crushed bees in honey, as you later saw. :)
    cochineal is a tricky one, it goes by several names. Caminic acid, it's E number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Avonmore tomato pasta thingy on the shelves says that it is suitable for vegetarians but that it may contain traces of shellfish.

I'm actually ringing about it in next couple of days.

Obviously (but just in case)

Guinness
    Murphys
    Wkd
    Fanta Orange, Lilt
    Practically all cheescake
    Most if not all chewy sweets e.g. Wine gums, Cola bottles,
    Some yoghurts including Diet Yoplait

And regarding e numbers, I find this very useful:

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fi45.htm

Edit: Just rang Glanbia there and they said that they have to put "may contain traces of shellfish" on the packaging for allergy aufferers. The "vegetarian" pasta is made in the same factory as shellfish products and they have to cover themselves in case there was any remnants of fish on the vegetarian one and somebody had a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

M+S Percy Pigs :(

I miss those

• Advertisement

According to this vegetarian society article, it seems like a lot of wines, brandies and ciders are fined with gelatine, and beers cleaned with isinglass (from fish).
    I'm glad I don't drink:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

kraggy wrote: »
    Practically all cheescake
    Hmmm because of Gelatine?

It's true that a lot of desserts, especially mousses, will use gelatine to set the ehhh gooey bit, however I think the likelihood of it in cheesecake is not a certainty, I'm pretty sure some recipes either use egg or the soft cheese itself to provide the necessary consistency.
    Some yoghurts including Diet Yoplait
    Oh yeah these new fish oils in dairy products... minging!

Another one, E120 being added to some brands of honey-roast peanuts, no need for it and it makes them look a silly artifical colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If we're trying to compile a definitive list of foods to avoid then we really need to take this a bit more seriously. There's plenty of cheesecake and mousse out there which don't use gelatin so lets reflect that (people should always check ingredients anyway) and according to the Kiplings box of French Fancies they are veggie.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    If we're trying to compile a definitive list of foods to avoid then we really need to take this a bit more seriously. There's plenty of cheesecake and mousse out there which don't use gelatin so lets reflect that (people should always check ingredients anyway) and according to the Kiplings box of French Fancies they are veggie.

Its true that not all cheesecake and moose use gelatine, but you still have to be careful if they use cheese, as the cheese may have rennet in it. As for french fancies (From Mr Kiplings own website):
    236788_J01_FrenchFancies_Back.png
    As you can see, cochineal is used as the colouring, therefore they are not vegetarian (although maybe they have changed the ingredients without updating the website).

Another thing to avoid is Adez Blackcurrant and Rasberry as it contains carmine (another name for cochineal). They gloss over it here in their faqs section (question 4), where they point out its not veggie, but its still "natural". Their other flavours are suitable for veggies though.

EDIT: whats really irritating about Adez, is that on the cartons you buy, it says "colour (carmine)", but on the website, in the ingredients section, it says "colours (natural anthocyanins)". It seems like they have come up with another name under which to hide "cochineal" under :mad:

But sure, we aren't missing much with adez. I tried a free sample before and it's just fruit and alot of sugar. I hope their package states clearly - not suitable for vegetarians.

For the Mr. Kipling lover out there, jsut write to them and let them know your concerns. It is a step in the right direction.

Slaphead07 wrote: »

I'm sure there are some alright that have no gelatin but every cheesecake I've looked at in the past had gelatin in it and that's why I said "practically" all cheesecake.

Another one for ye is Dawn Omega 3 Milk. The O3 in it is from fish.

Fish in milk. What next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Wkd

I queried this with them a few years ago & was told it was suitable for vegetarians, I might of just asked about the blue one though.... :confused:

On the cheesecake issue - M&S do a baked one that's suitable for veggies & is lovely ;)

Cochineal seems to creep into the most unexpected things in my experience

On the cheesecake issue - M&S do a baked one that's suitable for veggies & is lovely ;)
    well spotted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spiceburgers, I had a thread going in recipes and many thought they were veggie, says meat right on the front and back of the pack! no sneakiness.

Also a lot of cheap cakes have lard in them, Avoca's cookbook has lard in their apple tarts, so many pastries probably do, yet have no ingredients list.

I would imagine a lot of spirits, though containing no animal products, could have used them for fining/clearing the initial brew.

Yeah, generally the lists for alcohol/isinglass etc are good but those sneaky pastries. If Avoca ruin my tomato and basil soup I'll get them.

A lot of biscuits are not veggie. I miss cafe noir ones for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Pills are an obvious one, I think of the 4 I'm currently on, only one is vegetarian. 2 have gelatine caps, one is a bright pink from carmine. Went looking for omega 3 oils for my sister and found a couple that said 'vegetarian caps!' proudly on the label but still were fish oils inside :confused: don't get the point of that!

Whey/rennet turns up in a lot of crisps/snacks even my beloved Salt and Vinegar Snack a Jacks. :( Ate about 5 packs before I checked :( Random vegetable soups having chicken stock or 1% dehydrated ham or something is a pain. Ironically my sister brought two of the same brand of soup home last night, chicken had vegetable stock, vegetable had chicken stock. Can't win :D

After reading your concern about toothpaste Ingorious, I decided to email Colgate straight away. They have taken a while to reply, as I got an email about it being forwarded to another department etc. So, I go my reply on Friday (yesterday):
    From: Colgate-Palmolive Consumer Affairs 00 800 321 321 32

Subject: Your recent e-mail to Colgate

Dear <snip>,

Thank you for contacting us with your question. Your interest in our Company and our products is greatly appreciated. We are happy to have the opportunity to assist you.

All Colgate toothpaste manufactured for the European market is free from animal derived ingredients. In addition, Ultrabrite, Tonigencyl and Dentagard do not contain any animal derived ingredients. The glycerin is plant derived or synthetic.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our Company and its products.

Yours sincerely

Jérôme Roux
    Consumer Services Representative

I'm pretty happy about that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Do Colgate test on animals?

I'm currently working on a sort of 'community' Web site for vegetarians where this kind of info can be shared. If I didn't have a dissertation to do it would probably be done by now. Maybe early next year...

i'd imagine they probably do. any company making personal care products/make up tend to. unless they specifically say they didn't. but that is just a guess... feel like writing another email...?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Thanks for that sweet-rasmus, another load off my mind. I wonder if that means that some of their American products are animal derived?

precisely what i though about the american products! it's the same with some food producing companies where european versions are vegetarian and usa ones aren't and vice-versa. strange world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Muller Vitality, Yoplait everybody they both have fish in them. I'm not veggie but hate fish and could taste it. Low and behold when i read it there it was... FISH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Hi Guys, thanks to those of you who have told us what to avoid. But just a suggestion, when mentioning what to avoid, can you also say why? i.e what ingredient it has which makes it non-veggie? that way not only to we know what particular product to avoid, but also what specific ingredient to avoid?

One from me - Knorr pastaria ready meals. Initially they seems innocious (well except for the cheese element, but some people don't mind that). My sis made some and offered it to me a few weeks ago - I read the packet, and there is chicken fat in it (it was the one with courgettes in).

Another one is trifle - both ready made and packet make yourself varieties. Check the labelling - some contain cocheneal, others geletine. I did find one a while back in a health food shop which was veggie, but can't rememer the name right now - if I remember I will let you know (just in time for Christmas, so you can all make a trifle for dessert! lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Obviously (but just in case)

Fanta Orange, Lilt
    [/url]

Does that go for Club Orange as well?

• Advertisement

MJOR wrote: »
    Muller Vitality, Yoplait everybody they both have fish in them. I'm not veggie but hate fish and could taste it. Low and behold when i read it there it was... FISH

Which yoplait products? I am familiar with any choc mousse containing gelatine, but haven't heard of other products.

Edit: ewww - just saw that Yoplait Nouriche Raspberry Breakfast Smoothie is "Colored With, Beet Juice Concentrate".
    I've been trying to find an ingredient listing for their other products... I don't eat dairy myself, but it would be good to let those who eat dairy know.
    Few people know that the food coloring listed as cochineal extract comes from female beetles. Food activists want to spread the word.

When you dig into a strawberry Yoplait yogurt, take a moment to contemplate where the beautiful pink color comes from. Strawberries? Think again. It comes from crushed bugs. Specifically, from the female cochineal beetles and their eggs. And it's not just yogurt. The bugs are also used to give red coloring to Hershey Good & Plenty candies, Tropicana grapefruit juice, and other common foods.

What Companies Do to Improve the Look & Taste of Your Food

You won't find "crushed bugs" on the list of ingredients for any of these foods, however. Companies have a bit of latitude in describing exactly what they put in our food. Many larger companies, such as General Mills, the manufacturer of Yoplait and Pepsi, the maker of Tropicana, identify the dye in their products as either carmine, or cochineal extract. Still, many companies simply list "artificial color" on their ingredients list without giving any details.
    from http://money.aol.com/bw/general/canvas3/_a/whats-in-my-food/20060808141909990001

i don't like to think they can get away with 'artificial colours' as a label. argh!

http://www.nestle.co.uk/Nutrition/EatingHealthier/Food+Facts.htm

nestle give a list of what is veggie friendly which is good so you basically know to avoid anything not on the list lol

from the coca cola website the following contain fish gelatine:

'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit
    'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush

Danone also use cochineal to colour some of their red fruit flavoured yoghurts but as far as I can remember they do label them "not suitable for vegetarians" from their website:

Why are some products not suitable for vegetarians?
    The Food Standards Agency provides guidance on the labelling of a product with "Suitable for vegetarians." It provides that the term ‘vegetarian’ should not be applied to foods that are, or are made from or with the aid of products derived from animals that have died, have been slaughtered, or animals that die as a result of being eaten. Animals means farmed, wild or domestic animals, including for example, livestock poultry, game, fish, shellfish, crustacea, amphibians, tunicates, echinoderms, molluscs and insects. All due care has been taken to ensure that Danone products labelled as "Suitable for vegetarians" follow this guidance. Some ingredients used to enhance colour, for example, cochineal, are not vegetarian and products containing such ingredients will not be labelled as "suitable for vegetarians." Therefore, it is important that vegetarians check product labels before consuming.

Good set of info here :)

Just for people too lazy, I'm gonna post in the info from the Nestle site...
    VEGETARIAN LIST

All products on this list are free from meat, fish and their derivatives.
    Please note: Some products on this list have been fortified with Vitamin D3
    sourced from lanolin (sheep's wool). Recourse to that information should enable
    you to decide whether you wish to avoid any particular Nestle product.

1) BEVERAGES

Coffeemate: Original & Light, Latte Creations (all Flavours)
    Nestle Boost Juice Drinks: All Varieties
    Nescafé Alta Rica: Alta Rica
    Nescafé Black Gold: Black Gold
    Nescafé Blend 37: Blend 37
    Nescafé Cap Colombie: Cap Colombie
    Nescafé Cappuccino: Café Caramel, Café Hazelnut, Café Vanilla, Decaffeinated, Latté, Mocha, Original, Unsweetened, Double Choca Mocha, Unsweetened Decaff, Irish Cream, Skinny, Latte Skinny, Cappuccino Skinny with one topping
    Nescafe Classic: 3 in 1 sachets
    Nescafe Dolce Gusto: All Varieties
    Nescafé Espresso: Espresso
    Nescafé Fine Blend: Fine Blend
    Nescafé Gold Blend: Gold Blend, Decaffeinated, Half Caff
    Nescafé Original: Original, Decaffeinated, Half Caff
    Nescafe: Suraya
    Nescafe: Parisien
    Nescafé To Go: Black Coffee, Decaffeinated Black Coffee, Hot Chocolate
    Nestle Aero: Hot Choc, Hot choc Mint, Orange
    Nesfrappe: Mocha Latte, Classic Latte
    Nesquik Fresh: All Flavours
    Nesquik Go: Choc Pouches 4 x90g
    Nesquik Magic Straws: Chocolate
    Nesquik Powder Plus: All Varieties
    Rowntrees Cocoa: Rowntrees cocoa
    Skinny Cow: Hot Choc, Mint

2) CEREALS & CEREAL BARS

All Cereals and Cereal Bars are vegetarian

3) CONFECTIONERY AND CAKES

Aero: Milk Chocolate, Peppermint, White, Caramel. Bubbles, Orange, Orange Delight
    After Eight: Dark Chocolate Mints, Orange Chocolate Mints, White Chocolate Mints, Premium Bag Milk & Dark, Bar 80g Milk & Dark, Bitesize, Dark 85% cocoa
    Black Magic: All new sweets, Dark Chocolate Thins, 100g Bars: Almond & Raisin, Almond, Dark choc
    Blue Riband: Blue Riband
    Breakaway: Milk Chocolate,
    Caramac: Caramac
    Drifter: Drifter
    Heaven: Dark Truffle and Milk Orange Truffle Bar, Hazlenut Crème Bar, Milk Truffle bar, Perles Dark truffle, Dark chocolate bar, Assorted Neapoloitans, Brownie truffle
    Kit Kat: Milk, Mint, Orange, White, 2 & 4 finger dark, Chunky, Cappuccino
    Marc De Champagne Cocktail: Truffles Marc De Champagne Cocktail Truffles
    Matchmakers: All Varieties, Honeycomb
    Milky Bar: Original MilkyBar, Buttons, Choo, Milky Bar Munchies, Sandwich Biscuit Choco Mousse. Raspberry Filled Bar, Milkybar Buttons Pure, Milkybar Pure, Moments, Milkybar cake mix
    Munchies: Original, Mint, Munchie Munchies,
    Nesquik Snack: Chocolate
    Nesquik Crunch: White
    Nestle: Choc Cake Bar
    Polo: Original Mints, Spearmint, Sugar free Mints, Extra Strong
    Quality Street: All sweets, Big Purple One, Big Green Triangle, Big Orange Crunch, My Caramel Swirl, Toffees & Caramels (Delux) Hanging Bag Toffee Assortment
    Rolo: Standard, Filled Egg, Rolo Choc Brownie cake mix
    Rowntree’s: Jelly Tots, Jelly Tots cup Cakes
    Toffee Crisp: Original, Toffee Crisp Biscuit, Popcorn (launched early 2008)
    Walnut Whip: Vanilla
    Yorkie: Milk Chocolate, Raisin & Biscuit, Yorkie Biscuit, Yorkie Classic Muffin, Yorkie Giant cookie mix, Yorkie Boulders

3) CHILLED MEATS/ CULINARY

No suitable Products

5) MILKS AND CREAMS

Carnation: Carnation Evaporated Milk, Light, Thick & Creamy Custard,Sweetened Condensed Milk, Light Condensed Milk, Extra Thick Cream, Caramel, Chocolate,Custard, Creamed Rice
    Tip Top: Tip Top, Tip Top Squirty all flavours, Vanilla, Chocolate

6) NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS

Build Up Nutren Instant Custard: Custard
    Build Up Nutren Original: Original
    Build Up Nutren Milky Drinks: Banana, Chocolate, Lemon & Lime, Strawberry, Vanilla
    Build Up Soups: Tomato, Potato & Leek, Vegetable

7) PASTA & CHEESE

Buitoni: All varieties of dry pasta, Pasta Sauces (all varieties)

8) YOGURTS, FROMAGE FRAIS AND DESSERTS

Disney Desserts: Tigger Yogurt, Winnie the Pooh Fromage Frais (Chocolate, Fruit) Winnie The Pooh Chocolate Pot
    Milky Bar: Fromage Frais, Split Pots,White Choc Dessert 6 Pack, NOT 2 & 4 Packs
    Munch Bunch: Munch Bunch Yogurt, Squashums Straw, Fromage Frais, Double Up Fromage Frais,
    Nesquik: Chocolate Pots Fromage Frais
    Nestle Heaven Desserts: All Varieties
    Nestlé Dessert Sauce: Caramel, Chocolate
    Ski Yogurts: All Varieties
    Superman Yogurt: Strawberry, Peach

At the time of going to press this list is accurate, however our policy of continuous
    product improvement may result in changes, so we recommend you check the label.

The VEGAN list is a lot smaller:
    1) BEVERAGES

Nestle Boost Juice Drinks: All Varieties
    Nescafé Alta Rica: Alta Rica
    Nescafé Black Gold: Black Gold
    Nescafé Blend 37: Blend 37
    Nescafé Cap Colombie: Cap Colombie
    Nescafe Dolce Gusto: Espresso, Café Lungo, Lungo Decaf, Espresso Intenso, Caffe Clássico Roast Ground Coffee & Decaf
    Nescafé Espresso: Espresso
    Nescafé Fine Blend: Fine Blend
    Nescafé Gold Blend: Gold Blend, decaffeinated, Half Caff
    Nescafé Original: Original, Decaffeinated, Half Caff
    Nescafe Parisien: Parisien
    Nescafe Suraya: Suraya
    Nescafe To Go Black: coffee, Decaffeinated Black Coffee
    Nesquik Magic Straws: Chocolate
    Rowntrees Cocoa Powder: Cocoa Powder

3) CONFECTIONERY AND CAKES

Jelly tots: Jelly tots
    Polo: Original Mints, Spearmint, Sugar free Mints, Xtra Strong

4) CHILLED MEATS/ CULINARY
    No suitable products

5) NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
    No suitable products

6) PASTA & CHEESE

Buitoni: All varieties of dry pasta
    Pasta Sauces: (all varieties)

7) YOGURTS, FROMAGE FRAIS AND DESSERTS

Nestlé Dessert Sauce: Caramel, Chocolate

Veggie list: to be compiled. see webpage

Vegan list:

Coco Pops
    Coco Pops Mega Munchers
    Corn Flakes
    Frosties
    Frosties Reduced Sugar
    Fruit Winders
    Just Right
    Rice Krispies
    Rice Krispies Multi-Grain Shapes
    Special K
    Raisin Wheats

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/default.aspx ;)

Edited to save confusion. The full kellogs product list had been pasted twice (the honey included jumped out at me!). The Kellogs website just list them all, with non-vegetarian included, whereas only pictures are provided for the special diets. You will need to pick out the veggie ones from the pics (noticeably none with marshmallow). There were so few vegan ones that I just wrote them out.

Rice Krispies Squares Chewy Marshmallow

When I look at the veggie list on the website the chewy marshmallow squares don't come up. Marshmallow is listed as an Ingredient but it doesn't give the Ingredients for the marshmallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ztoical wrote: »
    When I look at the veggie list on the website the chewy marshmallow squares don't come up. Marshmallow is listed as an Ingredient but it doesn't give the Ingredients for the marshmallow.

Rice Krispy squares?
    Last time I saw the ingredients it said Beef Gelatin, was a while ago though.

Frosted Shredded Wheat, has beef gelatin too.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Rice Krispy squares?
    Last time I saw the ingredients it said Beef Gelatin, was a while ago though.

Missed it the first time [shows you need to keep eyes peeled when looking at labels] but the website does list Pork Gelatin in the squares. The Rice Krispies Squares Crazy Choc also have pork gelatin in them.

Really doubt anything with marshmellow is veggie.

All fixed, you guys. The Kellogs website is oddly laid out and the poster posted what he/she thought was a veggie list. Whoever wants to type out the veggie list from the pics, go ahead ;)

edit: I've emailed Kellogs and asked them to layout their products page in a way which lists the special diets in words, to make it clearer (for you guys) and said that their current layout is a bit messy. I wonder if I'll hear back from them...

All fixed, you guys. The Kellogs website is oddly laid out and the poster posted what he/she thought was a veggie list.

yes indeed that is what you call me being an idiot - sorry & thanks for sorting it out for me - was looking at their website yesterday & then posted that really quickly today without checking what I was at properly :rolleyes:

Edit: ewww - just saw that Yoplait Nouriche Raspberry Breakfast Smoothie is "Colored With, Beet Juice Concentrate".

May not be so bad.. that sounds more like beetroot juice extract than beetlejuice :-p

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    Does that go for Club Orange as well?

Well, according to their website, Club Orange ingredients are
    Carbonated Water,
    Sugar,
    Orange Juice from concentrate (11%),
    Citric Acid,
    Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulphite),
    Colours (Beta Carotene, Apocarotenal),
    Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid).
    So it seems its ok for veggies.

Depends on the beta carotene, a lot of the stuff in drinks is not vegetarian.

Found this pdf of the food from four star pizza and this pdf of the deserts and side-orders, which indicates, amongst other things whats veggie and what isn't. Things to look out for (besides the obvious):
    Ciabatta Bread, Potato skins, Garlic Pizza Bread.

Here are similar ones from Pizza Hut, one for ingredients, and one for allergens. Unfortunately neither one specifically says anything about being suitable for vegetarians (the first just lists ingredients, the second points out if shellfish, milk, peanuts etc are in the food). However, seeing as all the cheeses apparently contain "enzymes", I am going to assume this means rennt, which makes them unsuitable for veggies, so I guess I wont be going to Pizza Hut again.

Peanut wrote: »
    May not be so bad.. that sounds more like beetroot juice extract than beetlejuice :-p

oh.. i was perhaps reading that wrong.

beetroots rock :D give me beetroot chocolate cake anyday ;)

Found this pdf of the food from four star pizza and this pdf of the deserts and side-orders, which indicates, amongst other things whats veggie and what isn't. Things to look out for (besides the obvious):
    Ciabatta Bread, Potato skins, Garlic Pizza Bread.

I suppose they may be prepared in an area where meat is also used in the work surfaces/on the trays, so they are covering themselves.

Personally, I amn't keen on things like.. you order a sandwich from a sandwich making place - you see them slice a chicken filled sandwich with the same knife that they are about to use on your sandwich - order canceled!

...However, seeing as all the cheeses apparently contain "enzymes", I am going to assume this means rennt, which makes them unsuitable for veggies, so I guess I wont be going to Pizza Hut again.

Hmm I think Pizza Hut are pretty good about being veggie with their cheese..
    I would guess that the enyzmes probably cover microbial rennet and similar things.

Depends on the beta carotene, a lot of the stuff in drinks is not vegetarian.

What animal does it come from Tar?

I've looked it up and it seems mostly, at least, to come from algae.

What animal does it come from Tar?

I've looked it up and it seems mostly, at least, to come from algae.

I believe some(?) beta carotene in drinks would use gelatin stabalizers that would not be necessary in food. Don't know too much about it.

Peanut wrote: »
    Hmm I think Pizza Hut are pretty good about being veggie with their cheese..
    I would guess that the enyzmes probably cover microbial rennet and similar things.

Could be, but then you would expect them to have "suitable for vegetarian" on their website and menus. If they don't say it on their menus then I prefer to play it safe.

I believe some(?) beta carotene in drinks would use gelatin stabalizers that would not be necessary in food. Don't know too much about it.

Yes, that's what I heard also.
    Quote from the uk coca cola website: http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/
    (Part of this quote was already posted on page 1 of this thread)
    # Can you tell me which of your products are suitable for vegetarians?

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:

* 'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    * 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    * 'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    * 'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    * 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    * 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    * 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit
    * 'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush

• Advertisement
Advertisement