Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Ben Done wrote: »
    What is the gravy auspicious, out of interest?

Bisto original gravy powder.
    I'm too lazy to make my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

wdOQS70r.jpg

pearl couscous, brocolli, baby corn, mushrooms sun-dried tomatoes, capers, chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika.
    Simple, healthy, delicious.

Brill TA. Some of my fave ingredients there. How’d you cook it? In water/oil/or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

auspicious wrote: »
    Bisto original gravy powder.
    I'm too lazy to make my own.
    Love their french onion one too.
    Brill TA. Some of my fave ingredients there. How’d you cook it? In water/oil/or what?
    For the veg it was all done in an airfryer with no oil in 5 minutes, apart from the mushrooms which were fried with some. The rest was uncooked apart from boiling the pearl couscous, merely stirred in with the veg. I love my airfryer! First time I've used oil in months was for those mushrooms, even then i could have used water I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is actually my breakfast now, but it's a dinner really! Naturli vegan mince from Dunnes (so good), asparagus, mushroom pasta sauce with a lot of extra mushrooms, babycorns, wholewheat pasta. Takes just a few minutes, would have added some red wine if I remembered my half empty bottle! As it is it's healthier though :D

7UF8ls1l.jpg

This is actually my breakfast now, but it's a dinner really! Naturli vegan mince from Dunnes (so good), asparagus, mushroom pasta sauce with a lot of extra mushrooms, babycorns, wholewheat pasta. Takes just a few minutes, would have added some red wine if I remembered my half empty bottle! As it is it's healthier though :D

7UF8ls1l.jpg

Beautiful. Very arty shot TA!

Here's last night's, one of my favourite (easy to make, very quick), a beany cauliflower curry with windowsill lentil sprouts.

Beans used were Peruvian organic black-eyed beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Anyone try the vegan hotpot range in Aldi. Handy if you don’t want to cook. Just boil some rice.

Thai red curry.
    Black bean stew.
    Spinach & lentil.

I’ve tried the 3 above over the last few weeks. Very tasty I add my ‘crazy bastard’ sauce to them though for a bit of a kick.

https://www.crazybsauce.com/

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/aldi-to-launch-affordable-new-vegan-range-of-ready-meals-and-store-cupboard-essentials/

That looks delious David!

Had those ALDI pots before, I remember one in particular was amazing.

MvSCcQVr.jpg

Simple! Roast potatoes and roast brocolli with a no bull burger, nutritional yeast and French onion gravy.

Steamed spuds, then dry roasted with salt. Steamed purple carrots with peas. An onion gravy with arame and mushrooms. Half a Clive's cassoulet pie.

The spuds were savage.

No oil used, everything except the salt and arame organic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Beautiful. Very arty shot TA!

Here's last night's, one of my favourite (easy to make, very quick), a beany cauliflower curry with windowsill lentil sprouts.

Beans used were Peruvian organic black-eyed beans.

Do you have a recipe for that bean and cauliflower curry?

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for that bean and cauliflower curry?

Yes, it's very much like Happy Pear's five minute curry (I like it cooked longer and it's even better after a it's been sitting for a day). It's really simple to make though.

I have the ingredients prepared in four sections:

½ onion
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons olive oil (or use water with a tablespoon of lemon juice)
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    ½ inch of ginger, grated
    ½ a red chilli, chopped finely

1 tbsp curry powder (hot)
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground paprika
    1 tsp turmeric

1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin coconut milk (light for preference)
    1 tin of chickpeas (drained and rinsed) other beans could be used but chickpeas are 'classic'
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper

small bunch of fresh coriander
    zest of 1 lime
    juice of 1 lime

INSTRUCTIONS
    Get any veggies you want steaming (cauliflower is brilliant in this curry)
    Heat the oil
    Add the onion, cumin seeds and garlic and fry for a few minutes
    Add ginger & chilli, cook and stir for 30 seconds
    Add spices, cook and stir for 30 seconds
    Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, steamed veg., salt and pepper
    Let that bubble for a while

Off the heat
    Chop the coriander (leaves and stems) and add to the pan along with the lime zest, juice, season to taste

Serve with a grain, rice or chapati/paratha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks for that, I find the cooking times for the Happy Pear's recipes to be way off and always have to cook longer which seems to help develop the flavours anyway and as you say its usually better the following day. I usually add veg stock to left overs and make a soup.

For me the magic ingredient is the lime. It adds great depth and I don’t care to do this recipe if I don’t have one.

A simple home-made lentil and tomato sauce with wholewheat spag. and some garlic mushrooms (and radishes - love 'em). Very tasty, all organic.

Snacking on Mae's Kitchen No sausage rolls Aldi.
    Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Snacking on Mae's Kitchen No sausage rolls Aldi.
    Very tasty.

I gotta try those rolls. 🍽

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have they palm oil?

anewme wrote: »
    Have they palm oil?

Yes. I've just checked the ingredients list. I bought two boxes.
    I hold my hands up. I seldom buy such products and on this occasion I scanned the ingredients list too quickly looking out for the usual bold print highlighting milk, eggs, cheese. When I do see palm oil listed I always replace the product on the shelf.
    I do know ALDI is a member of RSPO and they state they are committed to the sustainable sourcing of their products.
    I have tweeted ALDI_Ireland to question them whether this product is in line with their ethical stance. If I don't receive a reply I will pursue it further.

anewme wrote: »
    Have they palm oil?

This is their answer

Hi there. Thanks for your message and we're sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We're currently experiencing high volumes of contact. We can confirm that Mae's kitchen is and Aldi own brand. As a responsible retailer we are committed to the sustainable sourcing of our products. We are a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), a multi-stakeholder group that set the global standard for sustainable palm oil. Having achieved 100% sustainable palm oil in food, we aim to have 100% sustainable palm oil in non-food products by the end of 2018. In line with the industry, we do not require the RSPO logo to be added on pack. We hope this helps. Thanks again. Steph, Aldi IRL Twitter Team.

• Advertisement

Self-regulation is nonsense regulation.

Lentil dahl with cauliflower, plus rice. A recipe grabbed at random off the internet, quick and easy to make. Uses home-made stock. All organic except the salt.

Tip: dry-roast the cauli first, it makes a serious difference.

I love red lentil dahl and rice. LOVE IT!

What's your veg. stock recipe?

I save all the odds and ends from certain veggies - not a wide range. Onion skins, garlic bits and pieces, carrot bits, leak scrags, celery leaves, pepper stalks and seeds, squash, pea pods, woody bits of tomatoes, not a lot else, bits left of chillis maybe.

Just throw it in a freezer bag till there's, I dunno, 3/4 cupsful? Then in a big pan of boiling water and simmer for a couple of hours. Sieve and store. It makes wonderful soup.

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a go.

I usually add some fresh onion and carrot to the simmering stock, I think I read that somewhere.

The sieved remains, we end up eating again, a year or so after they've gone on a heap somewhere. :)

• Advertisement

Black and kidney bean chilli, another swift internet recipe. Very rich with an added spoonful of cocoa and some lime juice.

Served with broccoli-mashed spuds.

Looks delicious, nice one!

This is their answer

Hi there. Thanks for your message and we're sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We're currently experiencing high volumes of contact. We can confirm that Mae's kitchen is and Aldi own brand. As a responsible retailer we are committed to the sustainable sourcing of our products. We are a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), a multi-stakeholder group that set the global standard for sustainable palm oil. Having achieved 100% sustainable palm oil in food, we aim to have 100% sustainable palm oil in non-food products by the end of 2018. In line with the industry, we do not require the RSPO logo to be added on pack. We hope this helps. Thanks again. Steph, Aldi IRL Twitter Team.

Here's a link to help you buy palm-oil-free. Note it refers to non-veg*n as well as veg*n companies and products.

Roast purple sweet potatoes, roast beetroot, roast rosemary spuds, home-made mushy peas and window-ledge alfalfa sprouts, served with 2 of Dee's seaweed and ginger bangers.

62247119_106631740602366_3144171241858924544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5809807c142f307a6dae06cd9a955e81&oe=5D914E73

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Got these vegeburgers from Aldi.

IMG-20190615-200016.jpg

They were quite OK, but tasted a bit fast foodish.
    But they seemed to fall apart before I rescued them from the oven. The cheese was very orange and gloopy, as you can see.

Maybe would be better with chips after a few beers.

IMG_20190615_195717.jpg

My curried quinoa and veg mix doesn't look the best, but was tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had the best vegan nachos from My Goodness in the English Market for lunch.

No pics but they were yum. Definitely recommend.

Vegan Bolognese with whole wheat spaghetti.

Iceland's No Bull mince.

Vegan Bolognese with whole wheat spaghetti.

Iceland's No Bull mince.

Hi auspicious. Is that nooch sprinkled on it?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi auspicious. Is that nooch sprinkled on it?

How's things?
    That is turmeric. I was going to use nooch but I actually forgot.
    Veg. I've included are 2/3 onions, 3/4 carrots, 2 peppers, 250g mushrooms, 1 leek, 4/5 garlic cloves and 250g tomato passata.
    Herbs/spices are veg. cube, cumin seeds, ginger, smokey paprika, chili powder, chilli flakes, fenugreek seeds, rosemary, thyme, ground coriander - 2tsp of each. and 4tbsp soy sauce.
    - pressure cooker.

How's things?
    That is turmeric. I was going to use nooch but I actually forgot.
    Veg. I've included are 2/3 onions, 3/4 carrots, 2 peppers, 250g mushrooms, 1 leek, 4/5 garlic cloves and 250g tomato passata.
    Herbs/spices are veg. cube, cumin seeds, ginger, smokey paprika, chili powder, chilli flakes, fenugreek seeds, rosemary, thyme, ground coriander - 2tsp of each. and 4tbsp soy sauce.
    - pressure cooker.

Thanks for the recipe. I've yet to try nooch - where's the best places to get it? Any supermarket?

health food stores mostly, H&B, nourish, down to earth etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aldi do it from time to time as well

HB - Holland and Barrett for me € 3.50

(There's also a few cups of water in that recipe too.)

Yellow split pea chili with kidney beans and tofu and rice, at work.

Goodalls Vegan stonebaked pizza with Tesco free from cheese and breaded garlic mushrooms.

Sure it's the weekend!

• Advertisement

Goodalls Vegan stonebaked pizza with Tesco free from cheese and breaded garlic mushrooms.

Sure it's the weekend!

Hi auspicious. Did you mean 'Goodfella's'?

Hi auspicious. Did you mean 'Goodfella's'?

Yes actually. It was in the freezer for over a week. And after a few drinks it wanted to join the party.
    Never go shopping on an empty stomach. ><

Mushroom and leek strogonoff as per The Happy Pear ( I added kidney beans and some coconut milk) with No Bull Meatballs as per Iceland.
    - packed lunch.

Mushroom and leek strogonoff as per The Happy Pear ( I added kidney beans and some coconut milk) with No Bull Meatballs as per Iceland.
    - packed lunch.

If you rearranged things a bit, you'd have the Irish tricolor.

Just made a batch of seitan.
    130g of red lentils and 200g vital wheat gluten + flavourings.

More protein than beef!

Just made a batch of seitan.
    130g of red lentils and 200g vital wheat gluten + flavourings.

More protein than beef!

Seitan is one of the popular vegan foods that I've yet to try.

Seitan is one of the popular vegan foods that I've yet to try.

I get the v.w.g. from Nourish.ie.
    Here's the recipe I used https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-steak/#wprm-recipe-container-14806
    though my marinade included barbeque sauce and sesame oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I get the v.w.g. from Nourish.ie.
    Here's the recipe I used https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-steak/#wprm-recipe-container-14806
    though my marinade included barbeque sauce and sesame oil.

Wouldn't mind trying this - where would I get liquid smoke?!

Wouldn't mind trying this - where would I get liquid smoke?!

I use smoked paprika instead - 2 to 3 teaspoons.
    Most supermarkets should supply it.

( The longer you knead the dough the denser it becomes after steaming. )

• Advertisement

Working lunch.

Advertisement