Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭briany

Were Rudds procurement of a murder charges droped ?

That charge was dropped before it got to court. He was tried on basis of making a threat to kill someone, as well as narcotics possession (meth and hash), and got a house arrest sentence as a result.

Not the first time that Phil has been convicted. He was also done back in 2010 for Marijuana possession.

He was very nearly done for assaulting his ex-wife in 2007 (threatening to push her off their yacht while it was moored in the harbour, after an argument between them got heated), but the judge relented given the impact it could have on his ability to travel with AC/DC.

I've heard that Canada can be hard to get into if you've got a record, but for someone like Phil, strings could be pulled.

Would feel sorry for Chris Slade if the rumours wind up being true. Being sacked from your favorite band once would be bad enough, but being fired twice for the same reason (the other guy became available again) must be galling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't Malcolm say years ago that they weren't the same without Phil and they were just waiting for the right time to get him back in, Slade is nearly 72 and might be glad to not have to do another potential mammoth world tour.

I do remember Angus and Brian throwing Phil under the bus during an interview when they were promoting RoB, after that I thought there'd be no way back for him, but let's see if there is any substance to this story first.

Rumours now gaining pace. Number of insiders on the acdcfans forum claiming the Angus, Brian, Cliff, Phil and Stevie have been spotted in Vancouver. They're getting very excited that something big is in the works. Perhaps some final sign-off from the classic lineup. We'll see what, if anything, actually comes to fruition.

Didn't Malcolm say years ago that they weren't the same without Phil and they were just waiting for the right time to get him back in, Slade is nearly 72 and might be glad to not have to do another potential mammoth world tour.

I do remember Angus and Brian throwing Phil under the bus during an interview when they were promoting RoB, after that I thought there'd be no way back for him, but let's see if there is any substance to this story first.

Chris Slade seems like a really nice man, and he was an absolute monster on the Razor's Edge tour, but I found it hard to enjoy some of his performances on the last tour. A lot of the power seemed to be gone. That's understandable, considering he's over 70. His hi-hat has been a special bugbear for certain AC/DC aficionados with the constant t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t of it during songs.

Supposed photographic evidence has now emerged that, yes, AC/DC are working on something in Vancouver. Both Phil Rudd and Brian Johnson are present.

img_9056.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Brian Johnson album and Axl Rose tour.

ush wrote: »
    Brian Johnson album and Axl Rose tour.

That's definitely one possible scenario.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Over on that forum they seem to have completely lost the run of themselves, some of them have setlists and world tours all planned out based on very little evidence.

I'll wait until something official before I get too excited, given that a lot of those big rock/metal sites are reporting it we might hear something soon, I thought the band was finished, I'd be happy to hear one more album even if it's sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

One more tour would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Over on that forum they seem to have completely lost the run of themselves, some of them have setlists and world tours all planned out based on very little evidence.

In fairness, most people could write an AC/DC setlist :D Not disparaging them, but they're hardly going to drop Let There Be Rock and add Carry Me Home at this stage in their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When will the annual Slane rumours start ??

An Axl Rose Fronted acdc would sell very with the usual Slane goers and all that

Really enjoyed the 2015 Aviva show but sad there was know Mal (Rip) or to a lesser extent Phil Rudd. Never warmed to Rudd seems like a prick

sugarman wrote: »
    Exactly, could be nothing. For all we know they could just be mixing remasters or even having a jam for the craic.

None of the band really need be there to do remasters, and if they're getting together for a jam, there's a thousand rooms around the world for that purpose. Surely we have to think that if they're at the same studio they recorded their last two albums at, they're at least attempting to do something in that vein.

sugarman wrote: »
    True but my point was let's not get carried away just yet.. could be recording a stand alone single for a film sound track or greatest hits compilation.

Time will literally tell, because if they're there for anything less than a couple of weeks, it would be hard to envisage them recording a full album worthy of release (unless the sessions are inspired - almost divinely so).

Bit left field, but Chris Slade is opening his own online jewellery store called Spirit of the Drum. Here is a somewhat odd promo he made for it.

And the site,

https://www.spiritofthedrum.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I hate when the sources are 'unnamed', especially when the story is as weird as this so I'm not sure how much I think there's any truth to this.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rumor-new-ac-dc-album-to-feature-malcolm-youngs-rhythm-guitar-playing-on-all-songs/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

I hate when the sources are 'unnamed', especially when the story is as weird as this so I'm not sure how much I think there's any truth to this.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rumor-new-ac-dc-album-to-feature-malcolm-youngs-rhythm-guitar-playing-on-all-songs/

Says Cliff Williams is involved even though he hasnt been spotted over there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Would be surprised if he does tour again. I presume it's relatively easy to control the noise going into his ears in a studio. Not sure of him being on stage with ear mufflers:)

Im perplexed by the whole thing -itd be great if they came out with something with malcolm on the cover a tribute album-i thought cliff williams retired and angus and phil rudd wasnt talking and johno was going deaf

Either way im delighted to hear something new is coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's official ACDC coming to Slane August bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Starting the annual rumour again...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

mean gene wrote: »
    Im perplexed by the whole thing -itd be great if they came out with something with malcolm on the cover

It'd be a lovely gesture and throughly deserved, but I worry that half the people who see it would look at it and go "Who's this guy who's not the guy who wears the school suit?"

Also I would say that ACDC aren't a band big on outward sentimentality, but they did include a couple of little dedications to Malcolm on Rock or Bust, so it's not totally out of the question.

Bon was 39 years dead yesterday RIP mate the best front man of all time

Penfailed wrote: »
    Starting the annual rumour again...

Totally...:D

My post has no factual basis whatsoever. Fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ah it's coming from Eddie Trunk, i'll take it with a pinch of salt, as that man loves the sound of his bloody voice.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Ah it's coming from Eddie Trunk, i'll take it with a pinch of salt, as that man loves the sound of his bloody voice.

Wait and see I suppose. Hard too believe that Aviva show was 4 years ago

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wait and see I suppose. Hard too believe that Aviva show was 4 years ago

Here, hard to believe Punchestown was 10 years ago...:eek:

It's 9 months since the whole album rumours started, would have thought some substantive news would have come out by now.

Heard this song last night, Rocker is such a blatant rip off of it, amazed they weren't sued.

• Advertisement

Official AC/DC Slane 2020.....

Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

AC/DC are the best band I've seen live, but they are now a band in name only.

After Malcolm Young, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnston departed, Angus really should call it a day.

Touring with Steven Young, Axl Rose and someone else on bass will dilute their legacy in my opinion.

Mountcharles missed the opportunity to bring them to Slane in 2015. I'm sure he'll always regret that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I think they'd get away with another tour, if Brian Johnson was given the all clear.

Having said that, I've seen them loads of times over the years and they have been brilliant, but their last visit to Dublin in Lansdowne Road was their worst. It was very much a going through the motions concert :(

Ten years since they played Punchestown tonight, where does the time go.

Pity we didn't have today's weather that day!

After the debacle of getting to/from the site, I doubt whether I'd go to another gig there.

I thought the rain really added to the atmostphere, not sure I'd like to go through it again however, my friend was driving and we got on the road after one, so I was oblivious to horrors people went through with buses and that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I remember it well. A long walk from, and back to, cars. A great show. I was quite literally brought back down to earth 2 days later when I had a serious crash cycling into work, suffering bad concussion and needing a skingraft around the eye. Also had to give up the ticket I had for the Wimbledon Man's final the following Sunday when Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick 16-14 in the final set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

40 years since Highway to Hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Please not Slane.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Please not Slane.

Has to happen someday and we knw Mount Charles wants them there

Been a running gig joke for years but its might finally come true

Really prefer Croke Park or the Aviva again

All time classic album, although Beating Around The Bush is a terrible song, it would be perfect if that was left off it, stuff like Get It Hot and Love Hungry Man which I consider filler are great and would be highlights if they were on most of their eighties albums, Night Prowler is genuinely demented and one of the best things they've ever done and If You Want Blood has probably the best guitar intro ever and some on the nose social commentary in the lyrics.

Walk All Over You is them at their raw, unadulterated best, the two drum fills at the start are brilliant, I'm surprised Touch Too Much never took off like YSMANL or Thunderstruck or were the backing vocals just too blatant :D

If Bon was still alive they probably would be as popular as they are now, although him and the Youngs probably would have got sick of each other at some point, still it's an album that will still sound good in another 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

All time classic album, although Beating Around The Bush is a terrible song, it would be perfect if that was left off it, stuff like Get It Hot and Love Hungry Man which I consider filler are great and would be highlights if they were on most of their eighties albums, Night Prowler is genuinely demented and one of the best things they've ever done and If You Want Blood has probably the best guitar intro ever and some on the nose social commentary in the lyrics.

Walk All Over You is them at their raw, unadulterated best, the two drum fills at the start are brilliant, I'm surprised Touch Too Much never took off like YSMANL or Thunderstruck or were the backing vocals just too blatant :D

If Bon was still alive they probably would be as popular as they are now, although him and the Youngs probably would have got sick of each other at some point, still it's an album that will still sound good in another 40 years.

HTH is superb but I think Powerage is slightly better
    HTH is a little more polished than its predecessors. I think HTH was the first AC/DC album not produced by Vanda and Young and it shows. I prefer a rawer sound that was more obvious in the earlier albums.

I love Beating Around the Bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Highway To Hell is great, no doubt about it (Shot Down In Flames is a personal favourite) but, while it took a while to grow on me, I think Powerage is their best album.

Wednesday comes and goes without the predicted announcement, I notice....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Please not Slane.

I'd love to see them at Slane.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

A huge step forward for AC/DC. You could tell they were putting in a massive shift. Possibly their best set of songs, held back slightly by the trebly sound.

Still though, I agree with those who give Powerage the edge. It has great songs too, fantastic guitar sounds, and (what distinguishes it) a real live feel to the production. Personal favourite ‘Gimme a bullet’. The first AC/DC song I heard on vinyl.

Took me a long time to get the into BATB. Same with the song Back in Black.

*Runs for cover* :pac:

McDave wrote: »
    A huge step forward for AC/DC. You could tell they were putting in a massive shift. Possibly their best set of songs, held back slightly by the trebly sound.

From what I've read, the record company put pressure on them to ditch Vanda/George Young as producers and go with the more established Mutt Lange

From what I've read, the record company put pressure on them to ditch Vanda/George Young as producers and go with the more established Mutt Lange

Yes, that is true. The label wanted a radio-friendly producer. The initial suggestion, Eddie Kramer (Kiss) was rejected by Malcolm. Lange was agreed on.

Depending on who you read, Bon Scott was under sustained pressure too. When a meeting was called to fire Mark Evans, Bon thought he was for the chop. Later, after Powerage (the end of that phase of Vanda/Young in the studio) relatively flopped, the label was also questioning was Scott the singer to take AC/DC to the next level. Jesse Fink in his book on Scott outlined Bon’s substance abuse and how it was wearing him down and affecting his image and performances, raising questions about his sustainability and reliability.

So overall, those strategising AC/DC’s progress didn’t hesitate to put Vanda/Young and Scott in the crosshairs. Showbusiness is showbusiness, as Bon himself more or less said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement