Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid superstitions

Options
  • 12-09-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

A Cork woman put a curse on gardaí that they or someone in their families would die.

Judge Olann Kelleher said it was a serious threat and he put the case against Madeline Higgins, of 239 Comeragh Park, The Glen, Cork, back for one week.

The 47-year-old was given a three-months jail term suspended for two years on the condition that she would write a letter of apology within one week.

A serious threat would be brandishing a knife or other implement. Absolutely ridiculous in this day and age that spells and curses was brought up during the case and taken as a serious threat. Not condoning her behaviour btw, but charge her for a crime that’s provable.

I recently seen a 06 Bentley in Cork city 06-D-666. Reminded me of a story from the 1990s in Upperchurch or Drombane about the priest pleading with the owner of a car to get rid because it had a 666 in the reg.

I thought we left all that nonsense behind in the 1980s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Either you or the examiner are only telling half the story. She threatened to kill the cop and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember when I used to play local league football, no-one wanted to wear the No13 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This is what she said:
    Higgins said, “I will put a curse on you. I hope you die. I hope someone belonging to you dies. My people will find you. If I don’t come across you I will come across your family.”

The bit in bold make it more of a threat rather than a curse.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-woman-put-a-curse-on-gardai-950254.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

NIMAN wrote: »
    I remember when I used to play local league football, no-one wanted to wear the No13 shirt.

Most hotels won’t have a 13th floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Why do they give her home address in the story? Is that normally done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Was she from a particular culture?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Was just talking to a co-worker about how weird people can get if someone has died in a house. As long as someone disposed of the body before I moved in, wouldn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭poppers

Simi or one of the motor dealer reps getting the gov to change to 131 reg to avoid unlucky 13
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/2013-number-plates-to-be-changed-to-avoid-unlucky-13-26890349.html

Was just talking to a co-worker about how weird people can get if someone has died in a house. As long as someone disposed of the body before I moved in, wouldn't bother me

Travellers used to burn the house, didn't they?

Not sure if it was superstition or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not sure, have only ever seen it on Snatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah I think it is clear that the judge was more mindful of the threat than the curse. Threatening anybody is a crime. Threatening a member of the executive force of the law is a challenge to the authority of the state. She is always going to come out the wrong end of that.
    We await her heartfelt letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Guy Person wrote: »
    Why do they give her home address in the story? Is that normally done?

News reports about court cases often feature the persons home address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I had a woman freak out once when I was doing an asset check on a companies computer system and putting an asset tag sicker on every system. The number was of course 666 but the really weird thing was the company was reorganising the phone system at the same time and a few days earlier she had been given 13 as her extension number.

Not sure, have only ever seen it on Snatch

It happened in Derry on a row of houses outside my primary school.

And end of row house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I recently seen a 06 Bentley in Cork city 06-D-666.

Yes I've seen that car, here is a photo of it at the Terenure motor show from a few years back:

https://imgur.com/a/CsQydZX

I think you'd want to have a sense of humour to drive a car with a reg like that. I remember there used to be UK reg Jaguar XJS with 666 as part of the number plate in the Ballsbridge area years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The shelbys are the whole time at it

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

poppers wrote: »
    Simi or one of the motor dealer reps getting the gov to change to 131 reg to avoid unlucky 13
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/2013-number-plates-to-be-changed-to-avoid-unlucky-13-26890349.html

Truly embarrassing. Perfectly good system messed up. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It still happens quite frequently and then the council provide a new one - with stables!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Am looking forward to tommorow's 'Fri 13th', as it is then, that I shall win the Euromills of €160,000,000 a lovely day it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

All superstitions are by their very nature 'stupid' and superstitious people equally so. Dont think a cure is any more stupid than the rest of them but you're right op, noone should pay any heed to a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Dammo wrote: »
    Truly embarrassing. Perfectly good system messed up. Clowns.

A blatant effort to sell more new cars in the middle of the year, lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Have hexaphobia (fear of the number 6) for sure.

Have it years, think perhaps it started after watching a TV show in the 80's which was mainly about heavy metal bands and how their LPs had hidden messages which you could hear if you played them backwards, and on it they discussed Iron Maiden's Number of The Beast and spoke of how that number was cursed. Gave me the damn fear.

Tried to shake it over the years but can't. Once seen 666 in an IMEI on a phone I had and sold it as soon as I realised.

Fear of the number 4 (Tetraphobia) is common in East Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,485 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True story. Thumbing home from cork, on Friday the 13th, in the back arse of longford, edgeworthstown, or some where, who pulls over to give me a lift only a hearse with a coffin in it. When he seen my face the driver assured me it was empty. Not being that superstitious I jumped in. Manys a person would have cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 13,485 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Those prayers on Facebook for finding/ curing things/ people

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is what she said:

The bit in bold make it more of a threat rather than a curse.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-woman-put-a-curse-on-gardai-950254.html

absolutely a threat. Had she not said that, a simple curse but that was a promise of violence Very different

The headline was over dramatizing and inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Superstition brings bad luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Superstition brings bad luck.

I still wouldn't waste a good mirror, though. Or walk under a busy worker's ladder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

My favourite is watching grown adults waving at single magpies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My favourite is watching grown adults waving at single magpies.

What is that superstition exactly? I know they are unlucky (allegedly) if seen on their own but I hadn't seen anyone waving at them.

My grandmother would have spat when she saw a white horse and I believe that was something to do with good luck. Even though all white horses are actually grays.

Advertisement