Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid superstitions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

my3cents wrote: »
    What is that superstition exactly? I know they are unlucky (allegedly) if seen on their own but I hadn't seen anyone waving at them.

My grandmother would have spat when she saw a white horse and I believe that was something to do with good luck. Even though all white horses are actually grays.

Don't know really. Maybe they imagine they are waving bad luck away? It always looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

My favourite is watching grown adults waving at single magpies.
    my3cents wrote: »
    What is that superstition exactly? I know they are unlucky (allegedly) if seen on their own but I hadn't seen anyone waving at them.

My grandmother would have spat when she saw a white horse and I believe that was something to do with good luck. Even though all white horses are actually grays.

Seeing one magpie is supposed to be bad luck. Waving or saluting it cancels out it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

One Friday 13th back in 1991, the new wife and I (honeymoon) were driving home from the north and just as we hit the south, the road had recently been re-surfaced and there was a warning sign about loose chippings. Myself and other cars were proceeding slowly over the loose surface when a truck sped past showering us in tarmac bits that smashed my windscreen.

At the time, the nearest option for replacement was to drive back into the north, but then I would run the same risk on the same road coming back down. Without internet research options, the only replacement windscreen service I could contact, was back in my home area of Sandyford.

So, I drove from the border to Sandyford with no windscreen, with both of us wearing sunglasses to protect us from the various bugs that sped through the car and splatted themselves on the back window. We looked like a deleted scene from The Blues Brothers.

I never believed in the bad luck of Friday 13th, but I certainly experienced some then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Seeing one magpie is supposed to be bad luck. Waving or saluting it cancels out it out.

It probably originates from this poem...

One-for-Sorrow-Gender-Prediction-Poem-Famlii-600x900.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Superstition brings bad luck.
    True.

It's unlucky to be superstitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

A fella I used to work for was blown up in dust explosions in a mill on two separate Good Fridays. When I worked for his business we always had Good Friday for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"My hotel doesn't have a 13th floor because of superstition, but c'mon man, you people on the 14th floor know what floor you're really on.

If you jump out the window you will die earlier."

Mitch Hedberg.

Advertisement