Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

I can understand them suspending the catalogue launch this year, but stopping production of it altogether is a bad decision. It's a bit appeal factor for the store. Even if they went down the same route as Smyths and gave the option of mailing out a catalogue upon request would help. I saw 4fm covered it on fb there and people disappointed about it and complaining about online being the only option from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

New Home wrote: »
    Their website is rubbish, there aren't enough filters and it takes ages to load. I would always look through the paper catalogue before looking for availability online. Sad that it's gone, I don't think it aas a goid move, personally.

I’ve had the same issues with the Argos website.
    It’s almost impossible to find stuff on it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I see causey farm, who usually start taking bookings for their Christmas experience have a notice on their website that they're not sure if it will go ahead this year because of Covid 19 and will see how the situation develops between now & October.

Unfortunately having been to it twice I simply can't see how it could go ahead with social distancing requirements, and as unlikely as we were to be doing a santa experience this year with our two its sad to see already how much will be missing this christmas for many. I know we all say its about the people and what you make of it, but for me the vibe and atmosphere in the build up is a big part of the christmas experience and despite putting on a brave face reallyam starting to suspect it'll be a truly subdued one this year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I’ve had the same issues with the Argos website.
    It’s almost impossible to find stuff on it at times.

Sorry, that's the website I meant, I have never used the Smyths' one.

It might slightly off!
    111644022_2718769395036807_2753878854016491017_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=WTiqPh54KA4AX_9fxup&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=75d9ccc48b1ca4d724617bd25a4cb42c&oe=5F496DA2

• Advertisement

The way I look at it, tomorrow is August 1st, November 1st is when the christmas adverts start on TV, thats only 3 short months away... then a few weeks after that Christmas FM starts & we're at peak build up. One of the best times of the year no matter what.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus I could never warm (no pun intended) to a southern hemisphere christmas

Obviously its normal to them but christmas at a beach with warm weather is just not christmas

13735663_10153791888747061_7323952775992417656_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=aTwQq6zPmYEAX8x-i-R&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=2eb33d44870314c7d983274ec38600c0&oe=5F4BFB86
    happy-autumn-thanksgiving-typography-vector-calligraphy_42237-256.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just 5 months left in the year. Wow. It won’t be one we will forget too soon.

Literally 3 only months left out of season and then the fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loughc wrote: »
    Just 5 months left in the year. Wow. It won’t be one we will forget too soon.

Literally 3 only months left out of season and then the fun begins.

lets hope things will be back to normal by then. We can go out to a pub for pints only and christmas villages/events can run unrestricted etc

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    lets hope things will be back to normal by then. We can go out to a pub for pints only and christmas villages/events can run unrestricted etc

Cant see it happening now. The vibe starting to feel like its going the other way again unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We have already started discussing and planing our work Christmas party, so that makes me happy. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Posy wrote: »
    We have already started discussing and planing our work Christmas party, so that makes me happy. :D

Ours has been cancelled (our place has about 800 staff of which I guess about half normally attend).

:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The site has been unusable this weekend :(

Posy wrote: »

Our summer party got cancelled and rumour has it so will the Christmas party. Everyone is afraid when schools reopen mixed with winter there will be a huge backlash of cases.

Our summer party got cancelled and rumour has it so will the Christmas party. Everyone is afraid when schools reopen mixed with winter there will be a huge backlash of cases.

Ya, I feel like I need to get a few haircuts in August encase they close everywhere again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have let go people and all employees have had a pay cut ranging from 5%-30% so the thought of us spending any money on a Christmas party will not see the light of day.

Oh 100% we will end up cutting our Christmas party to save money but pass it off as doing it for everyone’s safety.

Ya, I feel like I need to get a few haircuts in August encase they close everywhere again!

Good idea.

Or do what I did and buy a clippers. Much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Saw this on a Facebook page, and thought it was apt for the year that is in it
    521995.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Absolutely agree on the above most. Lets make this Christmas better than usual.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Totally, I love that sentiment. :):)
    My workplace have been essentially working together all throughout this, so that is the one bonus of not having a lockdown while so many others worked from home, I guess! Plus there's money in the pot for a party, and that is what it will be spent on, come hell or high water! :pac:

Today is a bit of an odd date.. 144 days ago was Thursday 12th March, the day the government announced schools would be closed the following day. 144 days from now is Christmas day.

I'll be planning for a quiet Christmas (just in case), with window/garden visits. I'll go visiting in the evenings so that the bright Christmas lights will keep me from feeling too sad.
    One of my favourite things in the lead up to Christmas is looking at lights as we pass in the car. We live in a rural area so we would be driving along dark roads and would come across a house that's all lit up, even if it's just a little light in a window, I'm like a big child, all delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

My brother and his wife usally visits at Christmas. It's gonna be so odd, if they can't make it this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus I could never warm (no pun intended) to a southern hemisphere christmas

Obviously its normal to them but christmas at a beach with warm weather is just not christmas

Ive flipped and flopped with this one. I was adamant that a cold and traditional Christmas was the only way even after a few in a warm climate but I was working Christmas day. Since then, and I guess with all things, you never know till you try it. We had an amazing Christmas in a warm climate. There's a lot to be said about waking up to the ocean, crystal clear waters, cocktails, everything cooked for you and bubbles to cool you down.

When we compared it to going back to Ireland for 10 days, spending so much time in the car with the wee ones, getting dragged from one side of the country to the other (family on opposite sides). Each family moaning that we spent more time with the other family. We decided one year just to save the money for the air fare, car hire, air bnb, and head to the Maldives/Seychelles.

We had planned not to be home this Christmas however due to lock down we are reconsidering. My folks don't have many Christmas's left and her grandparents are the same.

In a euromillions world I would alternate each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Absolutely agree on the above most. Lets make this Christmas better than usual.

This 1000%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So back after a week away. Hope all keeping well and keeping the spirits up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Have never put the tree up before December before but just checked the calendar and the last weekend of November is the 28th and 29th so for the year that's in it we will definitely be putting up the decorations in November to brighten up the house.

Saw this on a Facebook page, and thought it was apt for the year that is in it
    521995.jpg

Love this so much.

My neighbor has her garden filled with beautiful spotlights and fairy lights, I'm totally doing the same for Christmas 2020 and will keep them lit for January 2021 onwards.

• Advertisement

Love this so much.

My neighbor has her garden filled with beautiful spotlights and fairy lights, I'm totally doing the same for Christmas 2020 and will keep them lit for January 2021 onwards.

You dont live next door to us do you!? :) My Mrs has our back garden full of spotlights & fairy lights along the fences & shed. The thing really lights up at night.

I must admit it was purely her idea & it does look great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement