Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gay bar in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

gmisk wrote: »
    How is it the same old same old? (bar generally the same beers and brazilian bar men)
    Have you seen the pictures of it?

I have seen some pics, but I'm not talking about decor (although exposed brick and greenery is hardly groundbreaking).

It's clearly geared towards queer men.

Same drinks.

Same all-male (or almost all-male) staff.

Where's the diversity? Like I completely understand, Rory is a smart businessman and will have done all the research and knows his target market. It's just a real shame, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

J_E wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest everyone working at Pantibar is legally entitled to do so... :rolleyes:

Ya think so? I mean I know that some of them are working well beyond 20 hours a week which, for the typical 'language student' here, would be a breach of their visa terms. Panti is an astute business woman and cheap labour is cheap labour.

But nevertheless, it was a comment on the number of Brazillians here in general, not specifically the guys (and token female) who work in Panti/Pennylane. Turn on grindr there if you live in Dublin, Portuguese is the lingua franca.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,835 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have seen some pics, but I'm not talking about decor (although exposed brick and greenery is hardly groundbreaking).

It's clearly geared towards queer men.

Same drinks.

Same all-male (or almost all-male) staff.

Where's the diversity? Like I completely understand, Rory is a smart businessman and will have done all the research and knows his target market. It's just a real shame, that's all.
    I didnt say it was groundbreaking, but they clearly put a lot of effort into the look of the place, I would say its very on trend, you will see if you go to it. I would say it is a world away from Pantibar.

When it comes to gay places I would say Street 66 has a pretty decent selection of drinks. They are clearly pitching this place to more of a cocktail/wine vibe.

I honestly dont think there is the volume of people to open a dedicated lesbian bar or similar in Dublin, if there was to be honest there would be one. In my recent visits to Street 66 it definitely skews more towards girls than guys crowd wise, and they have some female bar staff.

But lets be honest in general there are more guys working in bars than girls.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Ya think so? I mean I know that some of them are working well beyond 20 hours a week which, for the typical 'language student' here, would be a breach of their visa terms. Panti is an astute business woman and cheap labour is cheap labour.

But nevertheless, it was a comment on the number of Brazillians here in general, not specifically the guys (and token female) who work in Panti/Pennylane. Turn on grindr there if you live in Dublin, Portuguese is the lingua franca.
    If that is true report the business.

Oh look, I totally understand. I'm not saying 'death to Panti, Panti hates lesbians', not at all.

i just suppose I'm at an age and stage of my life where i just go 'meh' to bars etc unless they offer something interesting. I get that I am 100% not the target of Panti's bar or venues at all. It's just... there's loads of bars that (judging by photos and from a few people who have been in that I know) look and feel exactly like Penny Lane.

But like I said, I'm not Panti and Panti knows what she's doing.

• Advertisement

Oh look, I totally understand. I'm not saying 'death to Panti, Panti hates lesbians', not at all.

i just suppose I'm at an age and stage of my life where i just go 'meh' to bars etc unless they offer something interesting. I get that I am 100% not the target of Panti's bar or venues at all. It's just... there's loads of bars that (judging by photos and from a few people who have been in that I know) look and feel exactly like Penny Lane.

But like I said, I'm not Panti and Panti knows what she's doing.
    Not gay ones in Dublin IMO.

I do know where you are coming from. I think in general gay people in Dublin have no issue going to any bar around which really diminishes the demand for dedicated queer spaces. I tend to go to other non gay bars more anyway myself, where where I can get something better to drink like P Macs or the Blacksheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I popped in yesterday it looks really nice, its a bit smaller than I was expecting.
    They have done a really nice job, the minions bar men outfit is bizarre lol.

Interesting to note the price difference between it and Pantibar.....
    I suppose they got to pay for the place...
    but 3 pints of hop house in Pantibar €12.90
    same in Penny lane €18.60....ouch.

I was drinking Moretti btw which you cant get in Pantibar :)

Is hop house 13 ever €4.30 in pantibar to begin with?

Are you comparing like with like, time of day, beer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ceebee1981

imme wrote: »

I had hop house in both Panti and Penny Lane on Saturday night, I think the difference was 60c dearer in Penny Lane.

Some lesbian friends of mine did have a rant about male centric spaces over the weekend, but of course the only people who can change that is lesbians themselves.If they weren't sitting at home avoiding their exes or in extremely cloistered relationships, there would be a lesbian scene.

Doesn't pantibar do pints (regular pints not the usually more expensive, moretti etc) for €5 before 8pm.

I was talking to a tourist to Dublin in pantibar last night.

He'd been to penny lane on Sunday.

His take was that penny lane was fancier than pantibar.

The clientele was better dressed, better turned out.

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »

I have a picture of the receipts.
    It was between 7-8 for both places.
    It could have been a mis price if someone else is saying only 60c difference.

It wouldn't put me off tbh, different crowd, different place and chilled out vibe

Some lesbian friends of mine did have a rant about male centric spaces over the weekend, but of course the only people who can change that is lesbians themselves.If they weren't sitting at home avoiding their exes or in extremely cloistered relationships, there would be a lesbian scene.

OR maybe if there was a queer bar that wasn't a total sausage fest every night and where you don't have gay men grabbing your boobs saying "oh it doesn't count I'm gay!!" maybe those places might be more appealing? Lesbian nights like Spinster sell out regularly. There's a definite desire for it.

But hey, what do I know, cloistered away in my relationship, right? :rolleyes:

OR maybe if there was a queer bar that wasn't a total sausage fest every night and where you don't have gay men grabbing your boobs saying "oh it doesn't count I'm gay!!" maybe those places might be more appealing? Lesbian nights like Spinster sell out regularly. There's a definite desire for it.

Well in that case recently Street 66 is a regular vagina fest.
    But hey it doesnt bother me.

If a man is grabbing your boobs report them to the bouncer and get them chucked out simple its not on.

If that is true report the business.

will do.

OR maybe if there was a queer bar that wasn't a total sausage fest every night

Literally the only way that will happen is if women actually leave the house and go out of an evening. If the women don't go anywhere, then logically everywhere is going to be a sausage fest.
    and where you don't have gay men grabbing your boobs saying "oh it doesn't count I'm gay!!"

Eh complain if that happens. I honestly have never heard of that before. An isolated incident perhaps? I mean you're hardly suggesting that women don't go out because of fear of gay guys grabbing their boobs??:pac: like you could also be struck by lightning.
    maybe those places might be more appealing? Lesbian nights like Spinster sell out regularly. There's a definite desire for it.

Some enterprising gay woman should capitalize on that then instead of expecting gay men to create 'appealing' spaces for them, in the vague hope they'll actually leave the house for a few hours.

Well you obviously know what furnishings and bar staff would appeal, why not rent a unit and get going.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are maybe five licenced/reactivateable pubs in Dublin City available to rent and it requires a good quarter of a million minimum to get a building converted and licenced if it isn't already one. What I've seen of the fitout here would suggest a multiple of that.

All bar one is in awful condition and that one is on a side street in Kilmainham!

Literally the only way that will happen is if women actually leave the house and go out of an evening. If the women don't go anywhere, then logically everywhere is going to be a sausage fest.

I honestly have no idea where you get this idea that women don't go out? At the women friendly events I go to there's piles of women going out. Spinster sells out regularly. Street 66, as you mentioned, is very popular BECAUSE it feels inclusive. There's a desire there.
    Eh complain if that happens. I honestly have never heard of that before. An isolated incident perhaps? I mean you're hardly suggesting that women don't go out because of fear of gay guys grabbing their boobs??:pac: like you could also be struck by lightning.

Honestly, yes, I am suggesting that gay women don't go out because we often get dogs abuse in male dominated spaces. I'm not saying I want no men around, I'm simply saying it happens. More than anyone thinks. It often doesn't get reported because of attitudes like yours, frankly.
    Some enterprising gay woman should capitalize on that then instead of expecting gay men to create 'appealing' spaces for them, in the vague hope they'll actually leave the house for a few hours.

Jesus, nobody ever said I want gay men to create spaces for lesbians and bi women, I'm simply saying that having spaces that are MARKETED as LGBTQ+ but which are designed pretty much with only ONE of those demographics in mind are hardly inclusive like they sell themselves as. I couldn't give a toss if there were 15 men only bars/ nights across the city. That's fine. But don't market it as a "queer" bar when really it's entirely marketed one demographic.

And did you ever think that the reason you don't see more women in these spaces is because they don't feel welcome or appreciated there?
    Well you obviously know what furnishings and bar staff would appeal, why not rent a unit and get going.

Oh I'm sorry, am I not allowed have an opinion and take part in a discussion on a discussion board? I'm sorry I'm not fawning over Panti and praising all the amazing cis gay men who are clearly the only ones who matter on the scene. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I honestly have never heard of that before. An isolated incident perhaps? I mean you're hardly suggesting that women don't go out because of fear of gay guys grabbing their boobs??:pac: like you could also be struck by lightning.

You're hearing about it now though. You're not part of that demographic and someone who is is telling you that it happens. "I honestly have never heard of that before" – so what? why would you have? Regardless, when being told that it happens, you're not really in a position to equate it with being "struck by lightning". Bit disrespectful and dismissive to be honest.

Anyway, haven't been into Penny Lane yet (happy living a pretty "cloistered" life with my partner these days) but I was hoping / expecting something more 'relaxed' and inclusive than PantiBar itself. If it is just the same staff/music/drinks (at higher prices) with a new decor, that's a bit disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think it's a combination of Dubliners not willing to support what they say they want and prohibitive rents/spaces that are suitable and affordable - I've been involved with setting up niche/alternative queer nights in the past and so many who complained and commented on wanting a night like it ended up making their excuses time after time and as a result it can't stand on a leg because it's costing too much. Even just getting a temporary venue can be a total pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

For the record, Pantibar only discounts pints up to 8pm Mon to Fri (4.80e) and not Sat or Sun. They may also do spirits or cocktail deals but comparing a pre 8pm Fri drink in Pantibar to other bars who charge standard City center prices is not comparing like with like.

On the note about catering for lesbians, as a cis gay man, I empathize with what Baby and Crumble says. The scene is overwhemingly oriented towards my demographic but that is the same with gay scenes everywhere. It is tougher to be facilitated if you're not part of the standard Cis born male (and some might even add white, middle class, young and gym bodied) demographic. I do think Street 66 (particularly the front part) does cater for ladies really well and has less of the sexualized (dare I say sleaze) element that other bars have (particularly when you're using restrooms).

Looking forward to visiting Penny Lane soon once the novelty crowds and usual teething problems subside.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    . It is tougher to be facilitated if you're not part of the standard Cis born male (and some might even add white, middle class, young and gym bodied) demographic. I do think Street 66 (particularly the front part) does cater for ladies really well and has less of the sexualized (dare I say sleaze) element that other bars have (particularly when you're using restrooms).

Regards the gym bodied white young male that proliferate, have you seen guys that drink in pantibar or street 66.

Not trying to be smart or overly taking a position but I think you get a great variety of guys in both, in terms of shapes and sizes and ethnicity and class.

Regards the toilet stuff, maybe a new thread is called for!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

For the record, Pantibar only discounts pints up to 8pm Mon to Fri (4.80e) and not Sat or Sun. They may also do spirits or cocktail deals but comparing a pre 8pm Fri drink in Pantibar to other bars who charge standard City center prices is not comparing like with like.

On the note about catering for lesbians, as a cis gay man, I empathize with what Baby and Crumble says. The scene is overwhemingly oriented towards my demographic but that is the same with gay scenes everywhere. It is tougher to be facilitated if you're not part of the standard Cis born male (and some might even add white, middle class, young and gym bodied) demographic. I do think Street 66 (particularly the front part) does cater for ladies really well and has less of the sexualized (dare I say sleaze) element that other bars have (particularly when you're using restrooms).

Looking forward to visiting Penny Lane soon once the novelty crowds and usual teething problems subside.

Which is your preference as a gay man?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

surely the market decides what way a venue ends up? if there were big bucks to be made catering to the ladies, thats what business people would do. "straight" venues are 90% the same. same drinks, same music, same tatty decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A very nice bar. Small, probably deliberately so. There isn't demand Monday to Thursday for another gay bar in Dublin. So keeping it small will ensure that it seems busy.

The location of the toilets are a bit awkward. My only complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,806 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mod

This forum is LGBT. Your posts on this topic are coming across as disrespectful and dismissive of womens viewpoints. Please in future post more respectful posts to and about LGBT women.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A very nice bar. Small, probably deliberately so. There isn't demand Monday to Thursday for another gay bar in Dublin. So keeping it small will ensure that it seems busy.

The location of the toilets are a bit awkward. My only complaint.

Is this Route 66 we’re talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Gael23 wrote: »

Which is your preference as a gay man?

Bars with friendly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gael23 wrote:
    Is this Route 66 we’re talking about?

You mean Street 66?

And no.. Penny Lane.

You mean Street 66?

And no.. Penny Lane.

Apologies I did mean street 66.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I popped in for a visit. It was okay. The whole thing is one open space, which means you can't really get a corner to yourself or hide away. The uniforms are just a bit strange... I hope in time it develops its own character, it feels like it could be a hotel lounge in any city if not for the male statues (which are fetching but I can get where people would draw the conclusion it's very focused on white gay men from that)

I don't want to be pooping on a new venue which is obviously welcomed in town. I just think Street 66 or Nealons has more colour.

Advertisement