Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exactly like riding a bike

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

FTP Testing

I hadn't done an FTP test in over 12months, so this was just to set a marker for now. I was genuinely intrigued as to how it might go. I didn't have any idea of what numbers would be generated, but I reckoned maybe 250W, maybe even 260W.

I was well hydrated and reasonably well rested. A light breakfast taken on board and some coffee and then headed for the turbo trainer. A comfortable warm up and there could be no complaints as the legs felt good and relaxed. Did the 20min test and a cool down.

So the numbers looked like this:

Average power: 306W

Normalised power: 310W

Body Weight: 81.4kg

W/Kg: 3.5

So I'm happy out for now. I really didn't expect that, but then I didn't have a clue how it would go either.

At the end of June I was 88.6kg so the reduction in body weight has been steady over time and pretty much exactly where I thought it would be by now. Very sustainable and measured over the time. I will continue in this way and as the weight hopefully goes a little lower, the time allowed to achieve each weight milestone will extend also, making it a long term thing.

I will put the sessions in place now each week to aid an improvement in my FTP but within the overall plan for a strong base.

I will update on body weight maybe every month or so but I will also comment on mood and condition. No point in being lighter and weaker. But the approach thus far should prevent anything like that happening for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That's impressive power J.

Kudos on the improved power/weight ratio too. Was it mainly dietary changes or were you burning more energy too?

Ah it's not really C. It's about average at best. We'll call it a start.....and say no more.

Mostly dietary. IMO exercise is a woefully inefficient way of losing weight. Don't get me wrong, it goes hand in hand with the training but on its own it ain't gonna get it done.

What you can burn on a bike in a hour, you can eat in under 10minutes.

I made up my own acronym for the food side.....maybe I'll post and discuss sometime.....or maybe I'll leave that end to the educated.

First week of the newest block of training under the belt. More tired than usual last week for some reason. Could be just time of year but I will keep an eye on it.

All turbo sessions last week but they all went good. 6 days of training (7 sessions and one rest day). Did a small bit of reading on Zone 2 training too. I had a habit of approaching Zone 2 training as a glorified recovery session. But I will do it now in a more purposeful manner. It's not a handy session either, there's some work to do in it, but it's also a disciplined session in the appropriate training range.

The percentage of Zone 2 in the plan represents a build phase for now and will switch to more of a maintenance level gradually over time. There is one Zone 3 session per week and one Zone 4 session per week, which will increase moderately over time in intensity and slightly in occurrence. The Zone 3 frequency might remain as is. I need to read a bit more, but it seems that Zone 3 may not be as enhancing from a training perspective. But then I'll be hoping to perform in this zone for when I am doing actual ultra activities. For now, that's the approach until convinced otherwise.

Not as much training last week, only 3 sessions completed. I had a blood donation, a session of sports massage and a critically overdue session of needling but getting them all done in the same week was a bonus. Not as tired either and I had started an Iron supplement too.

Weather being brutal has thwarted attempts to get out on the road, so its turbo still for now. This week will be 4-5 training sessions. The aerobic decoupling values on the Zone 2 power are good, but then hard to really tell from 60-90min turbo sessions without seeing what's what on longer road spins.

I might return to using RGT again just to keep things interesting, I'll see.

My co-worker is doing really well on the weight loss and I will soon be helping a second person, which I am looking forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What's RGT?

Virtual cycling app. It was taken over by Wahoo since i think I used it last, so must see what it is like now. It just makes a little bit of the turbo a bit more interesting and if it still has some race type events I can substitute them in for the higher intensity sessions, potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

got the wahoo kickr set up the last few weeks, without zwift.

things going well with some early morning sessions at zone 2 and zone 3

anyone any recommendations for training programs/workouts for 2/3 times per week?

You might get a better response if you set up as a separate thread....my log wouldn't be very busy that way

• Advertisement

Back to back illnesses, including over xmas, has meant no training for the past 5 weeks.

Back at it tonight. Cant wait.

I'm still here, I'm still training. Just didn't fancy posting the same repetitive weekly stuff.

5 to 8 hours a week. I've included 2-3 gym sessions a week of core and leg press as I found the strength training hugely beneficial years ago but then fell away from it, as with many things.

Serious lack of road work but I'm supplementing the weekends with double sessions of double zones.

Seeing some glimmers of form and condition and encouraging decoupling numbers. I feel things are progressing nicely.

The rain can head off there any time it likes......

Advertisement