Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Fat Couch Potato to who knows where

• 12-08-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

The Aim:

Get fit, get in some semblance of shape.

The Targets

Short-term:
    Ride 100km straight at a decent, for me, avg speed (@24kph) before the clocks go back
    Lose 25kg before Christmas.

Long-term:
    Be able to ride a hilly Sportive at an acceptable, for me, pace next summer

The Starting Point

Date: 27th July 2010
    Weight: 105kg
    Height: 5ft 11
    Fitness level: Couch Potato

The Plan

Forgo the Sausage and Egg Sandwich for breakfast
    Have a 6" Roll instead of a footlong for lunch
    Decent but healthy Dinner in the evening
    No Takeaways
    No chocolate, ice cream, biscuits etc.

Cycle 5-6 evenings a week

Get a decent Road bike on the bike2work scheme.

The Story so far

Weight Lost to date: 4.3kg
    Current Weight: 100.7kg
    km cycled: 180

exercise.jpg

and here's my steed, for now, a Giant CRS 4.0.

4885389727_0be3b601e7_b.jpg

I realise this training log is not on a par with some of the other exploits detailed here, but everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately I have let myself slip into a mid thirties spread, and its time action must be taken.

I have always loved cycling as a sport and been an ardent follower since LeMond, Roche and Indurain inspired me with their exploits on the TDF as a teenager. Jogging is not for me, but cycling through North County Dublin cornfields etc whilst hard work for me atm is both enjoyable and rewarding. When I am back from my holidays (bikes coming with me) I will try and hook up with the Swords CC Beginners spin on a Sunday and see how I get on.

I am working on the logic the more people I tell about this the harder it will be to quit :). So for better or for worse here it is on boards, and I'll update it every couple of weeks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck with this iniquitus

You're already hitting your target speed and need to start building up over some longer spins. You will be fine with the Swords beginners spin, and I think you will quickly progress to some of the faster groups

One word of caution - a 25kg weight loss over 6 months or so is very ambitious. I have managed to lose more (35kg) but over a much longer period (about 3 years) and from a higher base (125kg). It gets increasingly difficult once you get over the initial momentum. I never actually set out to lose so much weight. I have simply taken it in relatively small stages, say 5kg at a time. Once I hit one target I move onto another. I still think I could lose another 5kg, but have given myself 6 months to do so. If/when I get there I will reassess the situation

The problem with setting such a hard initial target is it can get very demoralising if you don't make much inroad sinto it. I would suggest trying for say 5kg over the next 3-4 months, then another kg or so every other month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    Good luck with this iniquitus

You're already hitting your target speed and need to start building up over some longer spins. You will be fine with the Swords beginners spin, and I think you will quickly progress to some of the faster groups

One word of caution - a 25kg weight loss over 6 months or so is very ambitious. I have managed to lose more (35kg) but over a much longer period (about 3 years) and from a higher base (125kg). It gets increasingly difficult once you get over the initial momentum. I never actually set out to lose so much weight. I have simply taken it in relatively small stages, say 5kg at a time. Once I hit one target I move onto another. I still think I could lose another 5kg, but have given myself 6 months to do so. If/when I get there I will reassess the situation

The problem with setting such a hard initial target is it can get very demoralising if you don't make much inroad sinto it. I would suggest trying for say 5kg over the next 3-4 months, then another kg or so every other month

Some very good points Beasty, and I take them on board. My main aim is to get fit, and as long as i can meet my personal targets in that regard and show continual progress I will be more than happy. The weightloss is more a secondary aim for me, and a consequence of the first, so as long as the length of my spins and my avg speed improve gradually I will consider what I am doing a success. I definitely need to shed 10-15kg as atm I carting round a needless extra sack of potatoes and it really shows on anything with an incline, but that aside I won't get demoralised by not meeting the 25kg goal as long as my general fitness keeps improving.

P.S. Why is Swords soo windy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeoD

That weight loss target is pretty ambitious. Nothing wrong with aiming high but be careful not to set goals too high as you may get discouraged if you feel you can't reach them. My advice would be not to get too caught up with post ride data analysis (unless you genuinely love pouring over numbers) - just get out and ride the bike and enjoy yourself. Be careful not to burn yourself out - 5 nights a week is a lot but only you know how determined you are to maintain this. Try not to get into a situation where you feel you have to go for a spin because the training regime says you must because if it becomes a chore I don't know how you will be able to keep it up. When you are out, ride around 60-70% of your max heart rate - this will burn around 85% fat and 15% carbs. If you go out and bury yourself you'll burn more carbs than fat, probably bonk and won't see much weight loss. Don't concern yourself with how fast you're riding. Lumen seems very knowledgeable in all this so he could probably advise better.

Diet is crucial also. Again don't murder yourself by completely cutting out the things you like - everything in moderation. Cutting back in portion size alone will do wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

A good start (and a plan) is half the battle Inquitus.Well done so far.

+1 on the weight loss target being a bit ambitious. Don't be a slave to targets is probably the best way to proceed.

I would be a bit concerned about doing five or six evenings a week in the early months of a training regime from a low base. You need more rest I reckon.Three or four days a week and maybe a couple of walks as well would be better from the point of view of injury prevention I reckon.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good luck with the plan.

Bear in mind that bike computers lie about calories, you won't burn as much as they say you have.

Don't deny yourself the odd treat, particularly after a good cycle. Maybe just adapt the takeaways to be more healthy, e.g. veggie curries with rice rather than kebab and chips. Try and find healthy food that is also tasty.

By all means make short term plans, but the most important thing is to keep it fun and don't get impatient. Once you change the diet and shift the weight it will stay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Kenneth111

I'm in the same boat. Finding myself overweight and no fitness at all. Going to get a bike at end of month and hope to start in earnest to loose some weight and get fitter. Only 5ft 9 and still 100kg in weight.

I've done a map around my home town (Navan) and its 73km. Hope to do this before the year is out and maybe early next year do some longer & tougher runs. Will be looking for some training partners (hopefully someone at my own level) for the winter mornings.

My route that i hope to do is as follows.

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/21366560/?open_ive_done=1

It takes in Hill of Tara and Skryne and is fairly level apart from that.

Any takers ?????

I am down in Carlow at the moment with the wife and kids, brought the bike with me. The last 3 weeks is definitely beginning to pay off.

I went out for 28k yesterday and 25k today, very hilly compared to my usual jaunts in Swords, but I managed a 24.5kph avg on the longer spin and a 25kph average today.

I have been able to ride up the hills in a manner I wouldnt have been capable of 3 weeks ago. Obviously initial progress is quite quick when starting from such a low fitness base.

I have definitely been getting more out of the bike and myself through learning how to pace myself, and which gears etc bring out the best in me. I have found a high cadence in a lower gear is much better for me then grinding away on the big ring as I did on hills when I started out.

Anyways this was my fairly hilly 25km today. There was alot of climbing, but I do think my gps may be overstating it a bit, but I am thrilled to average over 25kph with all that climbing, and very pleased to see my efforts round Swords and Ballyboughal each evening are beginning to pay off.

http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer/tracks.php?trackId=663889159&sig=13a8b65e9bbe640c6a7250a6748ba110b31aee2f

And that brought up my 250 km

Things seem to be going quite well, so I have signed up with a friend for the Sean Kelly Waterford 90km. I am certain I can finish it, we are just looking at the question of how slow I think.

Can anyone give me a few words of advice on what to eat pre, and during the effort, and what to drink to ensure I keep my body adequately fueled.

Tnx,

Inq

P.S. Current total now 350km, I managed 180km in 7 days just gone, mianly up and down a fairly undulating Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What do you normally eat and drink on the bike? Don't make radical alterations now, it's best to eat what you normally eat and drink what you normally eat. Changes can be made in training, it's best not to experiment on the event.

The best advice really is "eat/drink a little and often"

Have a good solid breakfast, porridge being a popular choice.

Getting a good night's sleep is probably one of the best things you can do.

Eating and drinking is a bit of a personal thing.
    Little and often and something you like and that agrees with your digestive system..Energy gels and drinks are great but you have to find ones you like.

Don't experiment with anything new on the day. Relax and enjoy it.
    Edit. Dirk beats PapaC by a tyre.

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is because my normal spins range from 20-50k and I don't really need to take anything on board bar my bottle full of MiWadi :)

50km this morning, went to hook up with the Swords CC beginners spin, but only myself and another lad turned up, so we set off from the Lord Mayors, over Howth the less steep direction, and back to Swords. It was my 1st time over Howth and I have to say on a morning like this morning it was fabulous, blue skies, gentle breeze which never seemed to be into our faces, and a nice warm bit of sunshine, I guess mornings like this are what cycling is all about, I hope the weather is as good next Sun for the SKT!

Last spin before the Waterford 90k tonight, went from main street Swords up the N1, left over the Nags Head and then back to Swords main street via Ballyboughal and the Rathbeal Road. 30k avg speed 24.7kph.

Given the SKT 90k looks like four to five Nags heads strung together I think I am in for alot of suffering on Sunday, but I am confident it's within me.

Ok, one month in:

450km clocked up avg speed 24.24kph.
    Weight is down from 105kg to 98kg.
    Off to Waterford for the 90km Coast route on Sunday.

I have found my fitness has really come on alot the last 4 weeks, and I can now go for much longer rides at the same speed, and this past week I have done Howth once and the Nags Head twice as part of a 50k and two 30k cycles respectively.

I am pretty good on the flat, but I do think the excess weight is a real handicap on the hills, though the improvement on both is clearly noticeable.

I loaded up on some cheap Lidl gear to keep me warm through the coming months, although the clocks going back is going to be a major setback in late Oct. I think I will invest in a turbo and try to do an hour on it 4-5 nights a week, though I suspect it's hard to find the same motivation for turbo training as the real thing. Getting a 3mth Trial membership of the local Jackie Skellies is another possibility and seeing how that goes through the dark cold months ahead.

I guess my main regret at the moment is that I didn't start this earlier in the year, and the nights are beginning to close in already.

cycling.jpg

Off road is a good winter alternative. Getting covered in sh1t is great craic. MTB before a turbo any day.

Just back home from the SKT 90km

Firstly I'd like to say what a brilliant event it was, great job by the 800 odd volunteers and the people who cheered us all the way, it really made you dig in when the hills and the vicious headwind on the way back were doing there best to demoralise you.

Anyways I am thrilled with my ride.

Time Rolling: 3hrs 45mins
    Avg Speed: 23.6kph
    Distance: 88.9km

I reckon the amount of climbing must be getting on for 1000m, anyone with a non phone GPS able to confirm?

Thank god for the uber Granny ring on my hybrid, gave me some respite on some of the exceptionally steep bits.

Will be back there next year for sure!

Well done.

Drop bar carbon fibre and the 160k at next years SK??

papac wrote: »
    Well done.

Drop bar carbon fibre and the 160k at next years SK??

We all have to aim for something, so the 160k is something I would like to do once I feel I am capable.

The one thing I noticed today is that the only thing that stopped me having to take a walk was the uber granny ring on my hybrid. I will be getting a Carbon road bike in the coming months, but along with my fitness and weight loss efforts I will have to learn how to turn much higher gears effectively on steep hills, though I am sure the latter will most definitely be a consequence of the former two, but its another part of my learning exercise.

A lot done, more to do ;) but given the authors track record I will be fatter and more unfit than ever come next season :)

Some pics from the start

4938745825_8e481c642d_b.jpg

download1mg.jpg

download2x.jpg

download3o.jpg

Getting faster:

45:19
    Avg 28.02

Swords Main Street, up the N1 past Blakes Cross, left into Ballyboughal, down through Roganstown, Up the Rathbeal road and back to Swords Main Street.

If I could find a flat windless course I could definitely avg 30kph for 20km now. I am sure a roadbike will also improve things.

Other bike improvements - Bar ends added, Lidl Spd Shoes and BBB spd cleats and pedals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Inquitus wrote: »
    The one thing I noticed today is that the only thing that stopped me having to take a walk was the uber granny ring on my hybrid. I will be getting a Carbon road bike in the coming months, but along with my fitness and weight loss efforts I will have to learn how to turn much higher gears effectively on steep hills, though I am sure the latter will most definitely be a consequence of the former two, but its another part of my learning exercise.

I'm still using a hybrid, having started cycling this year myself. Used to use the granny ring a fair bit starting out, but very rarely use it now. Still nice to have it for the very steep ramps, but once you get used to climbing in the middle ring you use it less and less. My approach was to repeat the same hill at the start of each spin, and not drop gears until further and further in, until you eventually reach the top in the desired gear. It's kind of funny perhaps, but now I think of certain climbs in terms of gears (e.g. cruagh road is a 2-4 for a short spin, and a 2-3 if I'm goinf to be out all day. The climb up the sally gap on the military road is mostly 2-4 but defo goes a bit 2-2 after the carpark at lough bray, the a glorious 3-9 all the way to the cross roads).

• Advertisement

Quick update on my Training.

750km @ 24.5kph avg on the bike since I began 6 odd weeks ago, only 25km more to Paris :)

145km @ 26kph avg last 7 days, twice over the Nag's Head and once over the top of Howth.

My climbing while still bordering on pathetic is a lot better than is was even a couple of weeks ago.

Joined the local Gym, and when the weather is inclement in the evenings I have been going in instead of having a spin, and doing 15mins at 10kph and varying inclines on a cardio program on the treadmill, and 20mins on the Arc trainer, as well as an assortment of 6 diff weights as provided to me by the personal trainer dude.

Down to 93kg now from the starting position of 105kg, so everything is going well so far and I feel so much better just for being generally fitter and more healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Fair play to you. That much dedication to your training programme is paying off big time for ya.

Ok back on the bike after the winter. The Gym thing didn't work out so well, and I ate alot of pies over the festive season.

Went out the other night and did 20km, it was cold and whilst I had a appropriate layers on top, I had just my shorts on and I didn't really get enough warmth into my legs. 8 whole minutes slower than when I laid the bike down when winter descended, some of that down to the cold, and going out way too fast, the rest down to the idle winter. I am still way fitter than when I started out last year, but have definitely regressed somewhat. I think it will take 4 weeks or so to get back to where I was.

I have a new steed arriving on the bike to work scheme this weekend.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/Z-Series/Z6.aspx

and will be attacking the roads around North County Dublin with renewed vigour, again coupled with a return to healthy, sensible, eating.

My aim for this year is to complete the 160km Kelly Comeragh Challenge on Sunday 28th August 2011.

Picked up the new Felt Z6 Road bike tonight, only got to take her for a quick 15km spin as the night was closing in. All I can say is WOW the difference between this and the Giant Hybid I had been riding is unbelievable.

A good start to my Cycling Season, week one and 140km in the legs.

Mon: 10km
    Tues: 20km
    Weds: 20km
    Thurs: 10km
    Fri: 20km
    Sat: 24km
    Sun: 40km

Cycled to Portmarnock and back on Saturday and then went out for a short spin with the missus, trying to get here bitten by the bug, we'll see how it goes :)

Went out on my own on Sunday to try and hook up with the Swords CC Beginners spin, but they were a no show, and they missed out on a fabulous morning. Up to Balbriggan from Swords into a hell of a headwind, left into the Naul, past a very unsavoury looking market, into the Naul Cafe for a well deserved coffee and a bit of Breakie. Then up and over Naul hill and sailed all the way home to Swords.

Weight 95.5kg. First time I have weighed myself since last year. Good to see that I didn't pile all the losses back on, still 10kg down on when I started last year!

Currently aiming for the Kare Tour de Foothills 50km in a couple of weeks time as my first event of the year. I think the 100km would be pushing it a bit much only back in the saddle a few weeks.

I have found the road bike to be a revelation, it feels so responsive compared to the hybrid, so much more precise. I also found it took 2 minutes off my 10km time between one day and the next.

The components on it are variable and none are top end, I will work towards improving it as I go along. I wanted to get a bike with a decent frame on the Bike2Work scheme, with a limited choice available as I could only use Eurocycles. In the end I got this Felt Z6 for 1300 quid, of which 1000 is under the scheme, so all in the bike will cost me just under 800 euro, which seems a decent enough deal.

The first thing that needs to be changed is the shifter/brake combo as the shifter is awful. Will be looking for advice next month when I have a few quid to spend, hopefully I can pick up some 105 or better 2nd hand on here.

Long may this good weather continue!

Z6_2011_SMALL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I think I saw this bike in the Naul cafe last Sunday - very very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭muad_dib77

brilliant thread & well wear with the new bike!

Annual Total: 240km
    Weekly Total: 100km

Tues 25km
    Thurs 25km
    Friday 25km
    Sat 25km

Busy with work this week, and it being mothers day I had to miss out on my long spin today on account of getting up with the kids and letting the missus go out for the day.

Still 100km isn't a terrible week. Started on a new route this week, Swords to Ashbourne and back along the Rathbeale road for 25km. Legs felt really good on Friday and I managed to average 28kph.

Weight 94.3kg so it keeps going down which is always good.

Might introduce a proper, by NCD standards, hill into proceedings next week, heading up from Swords towards Balbriggan, over the Nags Head and back to swords via Ballyboughal for a 30km spin.

Definite improvement in fitness over the past couple of weeks, getting closer to where I left off last year.

Managed to sell my old faithful Giant CSR 4.0 and bought one of these for the missus off adverts.
    city15l.jpg

She has been out for 2 x 10km spins so far and seems to like it, so fingers crossed.

2 weeks til the 50km Kare Tour de Foothills.

A brief highlight for me tonight:

10km in 19:52 which is the first time I have averaged over 30kph for 10km. Windy tonight and whilst I wouldn't call the course hilly, it has one short dig from the ballyboughal direction up onto the Rathbeal road.

Might be able to make a run at a 30kph average over the 24km from Swords to the roundabout at the end of the Rathbeal road in Ashbourne, and back to Swords in the coming weeks, if this wind ever dies down! Managed to average 28.4kph over that route earlier this week.

• Advertisement

A great week on the bike this week, 245km for a 2011 total of 485km all in the last 3 weeks:

Mon: 25km Swords - Ashbourne - Swords
    Tues: 25km Swords - Ashbourne - Swords
    Weds: 30km Swords - Nags Head - Ballyboughal - Swords
    Thurs: 10km Swords - Ballyboughal - Swords averaged over 30kph for the first time
    Fri: 45km Swords - Howth from easy side - Swords
    Sat: 45km Swords - Howth from easy side - Swords
    Sun: 65km Swords - Lusk - Rush - Skerries - Balbriggan - Naul - Ballyboughal - Swords

Stats from the long spin today
    Climb: 351.6 m Calories burnt: 2361 kcal Avg Pace: 2:22 min/km
    Avg Speed: 25.32 km/h Max Speed: 46.47 km/h Min Speed: 8.12 km/h

Really started to struggle coming into Naul, and didn't really enjoy the last 15km home. A scone and a coffee in the wonderful Cafe did help sooth my aching frame mind!

Down to 93kg now, feeling much fitter, average speed is improving slightly everytime I get on the bike. Still struggling with the hills though, not sure I could get up Howth from the village side in one go, given I only have 3 spare gears when attacking it from the easy side. Obviously losing weight is going to help with climbing, but I am always going to be more of a Cavendish than a Contador when it comes to the hills due to my build.

The micro.shift break/shifters on the bike are brutal, trying to buy a used set of Ultegra 6600 off of adverts, the mechanic in Eurocycles kindly offered to fit the new shifters gratis which was exceptionally nice of him.

Wanted list atm:

Better shifters
    Better Pedals
    Road Shoes
    Garmin + HR + Cadence

Who said cycling was a cheap sport eh?

Investments this week:

Shimano R087 Road Shoes
    Shimano Road Pedals
    2 x Planet X discounted dodgy stock SS Jerseys
    1 x Planet X discounted dodgy stock Roubaix Bib Tights
    Ultegra 6600 Shifters off Cycling Adverts from RAAM

Road Time:

Tues: 37km Swords to Donaghmede and back to nab the shifters
    Weds: 30km Swords > Nags Head > Ballyboughal > Swords
    Fri: 36km Swords > Ashbourne > Airport > Swords
    Sun: 60km Kare Tour de Foothills

Really enjoyed the Kare TDF today, rode out of my skin, finished the 50km in the first handful of people, and felt like Spartacus with the wind behind me on the downslope from Blessington to Naas cranking it out in the big ring. Could have taken on the 100km I am pretty sure now, but plenty more events to test myself out on these coming months. Added bonus of meeting plenty of boardsies.

Onwards and upwards! Still alot of hard grind to be done before I can take on the Kelly Comeragh 160 later this year, but definitely on track.

Annual total: 648km
    Weekly Total: 163km

The week so far!

Monday:
    17km Swords > Malahide > Swords - gentle cycle with the missus
    55km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul Hill > Ballyboughal > Swords - Proper cycle

Tues:
    24km Swords > Malahide > Portmarnock > Swords - gentle cycle with the missus
    40km Swords > Skerries > Swords - Proper cycle

Weds:
    10km Commute

Thurs:
    10km Commute
    24km Swords > Ashbourne > Swords

Annual total: 828km
    Weekly Total (1st 4 days): 180km

Highlight tonight, averaged 30.7kph over 24km from Swords to Ashbourne along the Rathbeal Road, round the roundabout, and back again. Could have kept it going for another 6k I am pretty sure to average 30kph for an hour, which will be an aim in the next week or so.

That aside, I am clocking up the miles in the great weather! Looking towards doing some 100km+ events in the next month or so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Hi Inquitus - I take my hat off to ya! Just read you whole log. Your doing amazing and really sticking with it. Im only properly cycling last 3 months and feeling a bit dishearted after a bad week (being dropped 10km into a 40km) but this log is truelly inspirational. I hope I can match your speeds and distances some time. Thanks

(btw - wasnt dropped in a bad way - everyone else was training for mt leinster where as my average speed is 21kmph but upped that night to 24)

Pride comes before a fall being dropped!

I went to meet up with the Swords CC 8.30 Spin this morning. Lovely friendly and helpful bunch of people. One of them uttered some sage words of advice, "Just hang out at the back, you don't have to do a turn at the front!" Now if only I had heeded those words!

A bit of hubris, alot of noobness, and a bit of wanting to see how'd I'd get on doing a turn meant I made my way up to the front via a long series of up and overs only to be in the box seat just as we turned under the railway bridge to go up the hill out of Skerries facing into a howling breeze.

HR hit the red line as a foolishly soldiered on for a couple of km, no doubt slowing the group while I was at it, I shredded my legs before I gasped "How do I get off the front!". I moved over and then dropped back to the back, only managing to not be dropped via some encouragement from my fellow cyclists.

I hid at the back while my valiant team of domestiques did their best to keep me attached, but my legs were shredded and at any hint of an incline the lactic acid kicked in and so did the burning pain.

I managed to hold on as far as the final slope into Naul Village before being dropped for good. If one is going to be dropped, right outside the Naul Cafe is a pretty decent spot imo.

I'll join up with them again next week , and hide at the back for the duration. I think then I should hopefully be able to get round the 70km circuit.

It was a fun ride while it lasted and it's good to try and adapt to group riding with such a forgiving and helpful bunch. Alot of lessons learnt today which can only be a good thing!

In the end I did just shy of 60km door to door, and about 40km of the 70km circuit Swords CC were completing.

Weight: 88kg now

Fri:
    5km Commute
    33km Swords > Easy Howth > Portmarnock

Sat

58km Swords > Lusk > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Annual total: 924km
    Weekly Total: 276km

A few questions for the cognoscenti among you. I am looking at a number of events coming up over the next month or so.

Viking Ride 100km - May 28th
    Maracycle 160km - June 25th
    Wicklow 100/200 - June 12th

Given the training info above to get an ideas of where I am at and what I am doing:

Is it worth going for the Wicklow 200? or should I stick with the 100? Aside from going over Howth the easy way every now and then, I am not getting any major hills in, beyond the rolling nature of the Naul.

Is the Maracycle (one way only) likely to be too much for me?

Is 3 events each a fortnight apart too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

A few questions for the cognoscenti among you. I am looking at a number of events coming up over the next month or so.

Wicklow 100/200 - June 12th

Given the training info above to get an ideas of where I am at and what I am doing:

Is it worth going for the Wicklow 200? or should I stick with the 100? Aside from going over Howth the easy way every now and then, I am not getting any major hills in, beyond the rolling nature of the Naul.

Is the Maracycle (one way only) likely to be too much for me?

Is 3 events each a fortnight apart too much?

I would have thought the W200 might be too much too soon. If you haven't done a lot of sustained climbing (esp. longer climbs like what you'll get in the W200) it's probably better to go for the shorter distances initially & gradually build up. Not sure what sort of terrain is involved in the Viking Ride or Maracycle, but a good way of building up would be a flattish 100km followed by a hilly 100km (W100), followed by a longer event (say, 160km, terrain depends on how you found the climbing in the W100). I think a fortnight would be enough time to recover from each even if they do take a bit out of you.

Mon:
    53km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Tues:
    32km Swords > O'Connell Street > Swords

Thurs:
    45km Swords > Easy Howth > Swords

Sat:
    58.2km Swords > Lusk > Skerries > Naul > Garretstown > Oldtown > Swords

Went out again with the Swords CC 8.30am spin, got dropped at Garretstown this time, which is an improvement! Was fairly comfortable until we passed Naul Village, but then there were a couple of what seemed quite savage turns on the front, from a couple of guys, which spat me out the back just before Garretstown. Once gone there was no way back on so I headed for home.

No shame in being dropped :) and if I can continue to improve I should be able to get round soon enough, was on the last of the lumpy stuff that I was dropped today, a bit further and I would be home and hosed. Very much enjoying the group rides even if I am still not entirely comfortable with what I should be doing, or rather not be doing! Being out for a fast spin with these guys makes it alot easier to push myself I find, as I am either on the back or dropped!

Annual total: 1,112.2km
    Weekly Total: 188.2km

And up comes the first 1,000km of 2011 done in about 6 weeks or so, and in that time my fitness, speed and weight have all improved greatly. 87kg now and feeling confident about the Sportifs ahead. Have settled for the shorter distances for each, I will work toward the SKT Comeragh as my big challenge for the year. I also need to start getting the dart out into the mountains the odd time to try and get some semblance of climbing ability. I did blow my previous best up Howth out of the water this week, but easy Howth is easy in a hill context...

Wicklow 100km - June 12th

A relatively quiet week this week, the Winter vomiting bug swept through the household over the weekend, tagging myself and the 3 kids, though sparing my wife.

Mon
    83km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Droheda > Duleek > Ashbourne > Swords

Went out for a long bank holiday cycle in the fine weather, my "King of the Hill" tan is looking great! Averaged 26kph non stop which isn't bad at all, again a howling wind....I am getting sick of the wind now, it feels like it hasn't stopped blowing for the last 2 months.

Weds:
    30km Swords > Ballyboughal > Nags Head > Swords

Averaged 28kph round this 30km which takes in the Nags Head allbeit from the more gradual side. Definitely speeding up on the NCD hills at any rate!

Fri:

Same route, 25.5kph went up quick enough, got soaked on the descent, no appropriate clothing with me and a howling gale into my face on the way home........not super pleasant weather atm.

Sat:
    53km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Was up all night with the kids so missed the Swords CC spin and went out later on my own. Averaged 27kph which is pretty good, plenty of wind out there and for good measure another soaking as I climbed Naul Hill just in time to be frozen on the descent into Ballyboughal!

Annual total: 1,306.2km
    Weekly Total: 196km

Wanted list
    Garmin 500 + HR + cadence (coming soon)
    Some decent rain gear.

Edit: Have started back at Tag Rugby after a 5-6 year hiatus of being too unfit, training Tues and playing Thurs, probably a good thing to mix up the types of exercise.

The week so far.

Mon:

Tues:
    Tag Rugby Training 1hr39mins

Thurs:
    34km Swords > Ballyboughal > Nags Head > Round the roundabout at the bottom > Nags Head > Ballyboughal > Swords

Decided to step up my work on the hills from now on so I set off tonight up and over the Nags head from the Ballyboughal side, round the roundabout at the N1 after crossing the motorway and then back over the Nags Head and home through Ballyboughal again and the Rathbeal Road.

33.52km
    1:12:20
    Avg Speed 27.8kph

Very proud of that, managed the Nags head back to back, climbed with a nice rythym and a decent average speed for the trip to boot. Felt great this evening and really enjoyed my exertions, could have gone out a bit harder I think on the relative flat before the first bit of the Nags Head kicks off, and maybe shaved some time off there and increased my average speed for the trip, but all good.

Also down to 85Kg which is 20kg off from when I started this log last July. Going to do the 120km Ras Legends next weekend, and the 100km Viking Ride the weekend ofter. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Congrats so far. My first year cycling was based in north dublin and my routes were essentially out over howth and along to sutton. Managed the wicklow 200 that year in 8hrs rolling time...on the back of one 100k spin. You should be able to manage the 200k with a good pace, the adrenaline on the day and plenty of stops. The hills are difficult but just sit in and they are over in c20mins. Great scenery - enjoy

• Advertisement

Fri:

88km Swords > Sally Gap > Laragh > Round Wood > Greystones

Met up with cdaly_ a fellow boardsie after work on the way into town and we set off for the Sally Gap. Good company and a very enjoyable ride.

Its a great feeling to have been up there and done the Sally Gap, it allows me to get a much better idea of where I am at with regard to hills and climbing and sportifs to come. I was very comfortable in the main though when it kicks up to avg 10% for a km with some steeper digs within that km it brought the pain.

There are steeper hills out there than the Sally Gap and if I was to take on something with sustained kms above 10% I would be in trouble quite fast I feel. Need to develop more power ahead of the SKT Comeragh 160 later this year, but the good news is I have plenty of time to do so.

Sun

48km Swords > Finglas > Phoenix Park lap > Finglas > Swords

Wife drove with the kids to the Phoenix park for a picnic, I set off 15mins before them on the bike, howling gale out there today, tough enough. Picnic and some footy with the kids then back home again.

Annual total: 1,506.2km
    Weekly Total: 200km

Tues:

Tag Rugby training, 10km Commute

Thurs:

Tag Rugby, 10km Commute

Sat:

120km Ras Legends Royal Meath Challenge

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86983411

Kept pace for the first 72km very handy, even did a couple of turns on the front into the howling wind. After the food stop at 72km they set off at a savage pace and I was in a group of about 10 clipping along at well over 40kph.

My brother was with me and he got dropped, wasn't able for that sort of pace. He had a tumour removed along with a portion of his left lung in mid January, so merely completing the 120km course is a massive achievement in itself. He is new to cycling, and his long spins top out at about 70km, and his body seemed to have had enough not long after that marker.

We took our time for 30-40km and as we neared the finish, I set off for a solo burst of about 10km at the end averaging 30+kph.

I was still full of riding at the end, kept up and contributed to the pace in a couple of different groups throughout the day, and without doubt it was my best day on a bike to date.

This ride was flat as the proverbial pancake, next weeks Viking Longship has some proper hills to whet the appetite and I am looking forward to a very different challenge.

Annual total: 1,646.2km
    Weekly Total: 140km

Week 10 of 2011

Was away on business in Brussels all week, so only got out on the bike this weekend.

Sat:

105km Viking Ride. Set off with a mate to do this, Tory Hill destroyed his legs early on so we stuck together with me giving him a tow as best I could to the Ferry. After the Ferry I set off with the lead group, and when we took a wrong turn had to stick with them to the finish and leave him to struggle home on his own.

The ride was very well organised, and the people very friendly, the food stop was good and the girls with cake at the Ferry very well received! A marshall must have had to pop away briefly which is what resulted in us making a wrong turn at Dunmore, but we still got in the 105km so it was all good in the end.

I bonked a bit 10km from the end and am very grateful to the two lads who took a slight edge off the pace and towed me home, that last 10km would have been miserable on my own.

Would definitely go back next year, I would say this was perhaps more of a challenging route than the SKT 90km I did last August, though I am in way better shape and weight now. Tory hill was a good challenge and very picturesque at the same time.

Sun

24km Swords > Ashbourne > Swords

A recovery spin of sorts, when I set out on these short local trips I find it hard not to do anything other than "ride it like I stole it."

I would be most grateful if someone better versed in the ways of Garmins and HR Zones etc could cast an eye over this set of results, it's the first time I wore the HR Monitor.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/262925

The Various ways of estimating your max HR put mine at 185 at most, I hit 184 on that spin this evening and I am pretty sure that's a bit off my max as on the hills I have felt it beating a good bit harder than anything today's ride would put me through.

Is my ride it like you stole it approach inefficient for training? as according to tonight's measurements I spent the whole time in Zone 4 or 5. Although I am sure on much longer solo training rides on my own I spend alot of time in Zone 3.

Annual total: 1,776.2km
    Weekly Total: 130km

Next Week:

I am going to have a go at the Tour of Louth next Saturday, aiming for a Silver Medal at least.

2011_poster.jpg

100km Tour of Louth, 3hrs9mins, Gold Medal. Thrilled with my ride today even though the legs didn't feel good, more to follow later!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/270146

Week 11 of 2011

Fri:

Swords > Howth > Swords 46km

Chilled out ride with the wife, with a balls out go at Howth Village side while she had a cuppa.

I clocked 7mins24secs for the Village side, legs felt great and I am pretty happy with the time, had a bit left in the tank at the end, but I think that time was pretty close to my best effort.

http://app.strava.com/segments/661174

Sat:

Howth TT, Sutton Side

Took the kids to Howth for a picnic, threw the bike on the back of the car and had a go at the Howth Sutton TT from the line outside the GAA club to the Summit Shop sign. I was cold, it was blowing a gale into my face but I still managed to clock 9mins48secs. Happy with that, I think 9mins dead is around the best effort mark without the wind and properly warmed up, I will get back there again soon with legs nicely warmed up from the cycle over from Swords. Whens the next Boards TT, clocking 9minsXX should prevent me coming last!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/271300

Sun

Tour of Louth 100km Sportif

Set out from Dublin at 8.30am, got rained on while loading up the car, rained all the way to Louth, rained while getting ready, stopped just in time for the start.

I was undecided about whether to go for the Platinum or the Gold, I figured I could probably sit on the platinum group as far as the Cooley Mountains without too much bother, but would prob get spat out the back badly on the hills and end up on my own.

In the end I settled on the Gold group which was distinctly lacking in community spirit, only myself and 4-5 others were willing to do any work at all the keep the pace ticking along, and one lad in particular must have driven the peleton half of the distance to the Cooley mountains. I can't understand why in a group of up to 100 soo few people would be willing to push the pace along and share the load.

I was quite dispiriting to see people who had sat on mine and others wheels dance off up the hill with fresh legs when mine were feeling the efforts of the previous 50km.

My legs didn't feel good at the foot of the climb, and I was surprised to see I was already in the Granny Gear with legs burning on the first slopes, by contrast, last week I was climbing the much more demanding Tory Hill with comparable ease. I don't think the 2 runs up Howth on Fri and Sat were a bright idea!

I must have summited the climb about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the original group with 15-20 in front of me. I descended hard but just failed to get on the back of that group of about 15-20 riders, that's the point at which chances of a Platinum disappeared, if those lads got one I would have too, if I could have got on. In hindsight I should have buried myself on the descent and recovered sitting on the back of that group, lesson learned!

In the end I hooked up with 2 guys one from Lucan CC and the other in a red kit, we worked very hard together along Carlingford Lough, but it was into a fairly savage headwind and we never looked like making the bridge. We kept the pace honest and flew along once we made the turn away from the Lough towards Dundalk with the strong wind behind us. The last 10km were proper miserable, my legs were shredded and the rain was strong and I was soaked through.

I met and had a quick chat a novice boardsie cyclist who was doing his first event, congrats to him, he got home in 3hrs17mins afair to pick up his gold medal!

All in all, despite the weather a great event. The first time I ever cycled 100km without stopping! And remember "It's not a race!" :p

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/270146

Annual total: 1,925km
    Weekly Total: 150km

I guess I need to finally bite the bullet now and join Swords CC and get out on a regular basis with the Sat 8.30am spin. I guess my new goal is to race club league either later this year or maybe more realistically in 2012.

imag0015i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I guess I need to finally bite the bullet now and join Swords CC and get out on a regular basis with the Sat 8.30am spin.

Well done on the TOL. What sort of pace/distance does that 8.30am group go at? I'm thinking of gatecrashing next Saturday. :)

RT66 wrote: »
    Well done on the TOL. What sort of pace/distance does that 8.30am group go at? I'm thinking of gatecrashing next Saturday. :)

Never logged it on my phone, and not been out with them since I got my garmin. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about 30kph or so up hill and down dale, and it runs for about 70km.

This is the route from the website, its mainly rolling, with the main drags out of Skerries, and up to Naul village.

swordsccsatspin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Never logged it on my phone, and not been out with them since I got my garmin. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about 30kph or so up hill and down dale, and it runs for about 70km.

Thanks for that. I think I'll give it a go. Might go do the route before to get the lie of the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Its pretty much 30kmph, but sitting in it feels easy enough. When taking your turn on the front it can be tough till you get use to it. There aint any real hills its more just rolling terrain with the 3 sisters at the back of the naul being the worst of it. the pace usually lifts significantly at the back of the airport - 40/45km/ph as we do up and overs. Its a great way to learn how to ride in a bunch and the bit at the airport should teach you a bit about going through and easing off and letting the next person through for racing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement