Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Fat Couch Potato to who knows where

Options
  • 12-08-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

The Aim:

Get fit, get in some semblance of shape.

The Targets

Short-term:
    Ride 100km straight at a decent, for me, avg speed (@24kph) before the clocks go back
    Lose 25kg before Christmas.

Long-term:
    Be able to ride a hilly Sportive at an acceptable, for me, pace next summer

The Starting Point

Date: 27th July 2010
    Weight: 105kg
    Height: 5ft 11
    Fitness level: Couch Potato

The Plan

Forgo the Sausage and Egg Sandwich for breakfast
    Have a 6" Roll instead of a footlong for lunch
    Decent but healthy Dinner in the evening
    No Takeaways
    No chocolate, ice cream, biscuits etc.

Cycle 5-6 evenings a week

Get a decent Road bike on the bike2work scheme.

The Story so far

Weight Lost to date: 4.3kg
    Current Weight: 100.7kg
    km cycled: 180

exercise.jpg

and here's my steed, for now, a Giant CRS 4.0.

4885389727_0be3b601e7_b.jpg

I realise this training log is not on a par with some of the other exploits detailed here, but everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately I have let myself slip into a mid thirties spread, and its time action must be taken.

I have always loved cycling as a sport and been an ardent follower since LeMond, Roche and Indurain inspired me with their exploits on the TDF as a teenager. Jogging is not for me, but cycling through North County Dublin cornfields etc whilst hard work for me atm is both enjoyable and rewarding. When I am back from my holidays (bikes coming with me) I will try and hook up with the Swords CC Beginners spin on a Sunday and see how I get on.

I am working on the logic the more people I tell about this the harder it will be to quit :). So for better or for worse here it is on boards, and I'll update it every couple of weeks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck with this iniquitus

You're already hitting your target speed and need to start building up over some longer spins. You will be fine with the Swords beginners spin, and I think you will quickly progress to some of the faster groups

One word of caution - a 25kg weight loss over 6 months or so is very ambitious. I have managed to lose more (35kg) but over a much longer period (about 3 years) and from a higher base (125kg). It gets increasingly difficult once you get over the initial momentum. I never actually set out to lose so much weight. I have simply taken it in relatively small stages, say 5kg at a time. Once I hit one target I move onto another. I still think I could lose another 5kg, but have given myself 6 months to do so. If/when I get there I will reassess the situation

The problem with setting such a hard initial target is it can get very demoralising if you don't make much inroad sinto it. I would suggest trying for say 5kg over the next 3-4 months, then another kg or so every other month

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    Good luck with this iniquitus

You're already hitting your target speed and need to start building up over some longer spins. You will be fine with the Swords beginners spin, and I think you will quickly progress to some of the faster groups

One word of caution - a 25kg weight loss over 6 months or so is very ambitious. I have managed to lose more (35kg) but over a much longer period (about 3 years) and from a higher base (125kg). It gets increasingly difficult once you get over the initial momentum. I never actually set out to lose so much weight. I have simply taken it in relatively small stages, say 5kg at a time. Once I hit one target I move onto another. I still think I could lose another 5kg, but have given myself 6 months to do so. If/when I get there I will reassess the situation

The problem with setting such a hard initial target is it can get very demoralising if you don't make much inroad sinto it. I would suggest trying for say 5kg over the next 3-4 months, then another kg or so every other month

Some very good points Beasty, and I take them on board. My main aim is to get fit, and as long as i can meet my personal targets in that regard and show continual progress I will be more than happy. The weightloss is more a secondary aim for me, and a consequence of the first, so as long as the length of my spins and my avg speed improve gradually I will consider what I am doing a success. I definitely need to shed 10-15kg as atm I carting round a needless extra sack of potatoes and it really shows on anything with an incline, but that aside I won't get demoralised by not meeting the 25kg goal as long as my general fitness keeps improving.

P.S. Why is Swords soo windy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭LeoD

That weight loss target is pretty ambitious. Nothing wrong with aiming high but be careful not to set goals too high as you may get discouraged if you feel you can't reach them. My advice would be not to get too caught up with post ride data analysis (unless you genuinely love pouring over numbers) - just get out and ride the bike and enjoy yourself. Be careful not to burn yourself out - 5 nights a week is a lot but only you know how determined you are to maintain this. Try not to get into a situation where you feel you have to go for a spin because the training regime says you must because if it becomes a chore I don't know how you will be able to keep it up. When you are out, ride around 60-70% of your max heart rate - this will burn around 85% fat and 15% carbs. If you go out and bury yourself you'll burn more carbs than fat, probably bonk and won't see much weight loss. Don't concern yourself with how fast you're riding. Lumen seems very knowledgeable in all this so he could probably advise better.

Diet is crucial also. Again don't murder yourself by completely cutting out the things you like - everything in moderation. Cutting back in portion size alone will do wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

A good start (and a plan) is half the battle Inquitus.Well done so far.

+1 on the weight loss target being a bit ambitious. Don't be a slave to targets is probably the best way to proceed.

I would be a bit concerned about doing five or six evenings a week in the early months of a training regime from a low base. You need more rest I reckon.Three or four days a week and maybe a couple of walks as well would be better from the point of view of injury prevention I reckon.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good luck with the plan.

Bear in mind that bike computers lie about calories, you won't burn as much as they say you have.

Don't deny yourself the odd treat, particularly after a good cycle. Maybe just adapt the takeaways to be more healthy, e.g. veggie curries with rice rather than kebab and chips. Try and find healthy food that is also tasty.

By all means make short term plans, but the most important thing is to keep it fun and don't get impatient. Once you change the diet and shift the weight it will stay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Kenneth111

I'm in the same boat. Finding myself overweight and no fitness at all. Going to get a bike at end of month and hope to start in earnest to loose some weight and get fitter. Only 5ft 9 and still 100kg in weight.

I've done a map around my home town (Navan) and its 73km. Hope to do this before the year is out and maybe early next year do some longer & tougher runs. Will be looking for some training partners (hopefully someone at my own level) for the winter mornings.

My route that i hope to do is as follows.

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/21366560/?open_ive_done=1

It takes in Hill of Tara and Skryne and is fairly level apart from that.

Any takers ?????

I am down in Carlow at the moment with the wife and kids, brought the bike with me. The last 3 weeks is definitely beginning to pay off.

I went out for 28k yesterday and 25k today, very hilly compared to my usual jaunts in Swords, but I managed a 24.5kph avg on the longer spin and a 25kph average today.

I have been able to ride up the hills in a manner I wouldnt have been capable of 3 weeks ago. Obviously initial progress is quite quick when starting from such a low fitness base.

I have definitely been getting more out of the bike and myself through learning how to pace myself, and which gears etc bring out the best in me. I have found a high cadence in a lower gear is much better for me then grinding away on the big ring as I did on hills when I started out.

Anyways this was my fairly hilly 25km today. There was alot of climbing, but I do think my gps may be overstating it a bit, but I am thrilled to average over 25kph with all that climbing, and very pleased to see my efforts round Swords and Ballyboughal each evening are beginning to pay off.

http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer/tracks.php?trackId=663889159&sig=13a8b65e9bbe640c6a7250a6748ba110b31aee2f

And that brought up my 250 km

Things seem to be going quite well, so I have signed up with a friend for the Sean Kelly Waterford 90km. I am certain I can finish it, we are just looking at the question of how slow I think.

Can anyone give me a few words of advice on what to eat pre, and during the effort, and what to drink to ensure I keep my body adequately fueled.

Tnx,

Inq

P.S. Current total now 350km, I managed 180km in 7 days just gone, mianly up and down a fairly undulating Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What do you normally eat and drink on the bike? Don't make radical alterations now, it's best to eat what you normally eat and drink what you normally eat. Changes can be made in training, it's best not to experiment on the event.

The best advice really is "eat/drink a little and often"

Have a good solid breakfast, porridge being a popular choice.

Getting a good night's sleep is probably one of the best things you can do.

Eating and drinking is a bit of a personal thing.
    Little and often and something you like and that agrees with your digestive system..Energy gels and drinks are great but you have to find ones you like.

Don't experiment with anything new on the day. Relax and enjoy it.
    Edit. Dirk beats PapaC by a tyre.

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is because my normal spins range from 20-50k and I don't really need to take anything on board bar my bottle full of MiWadi :)

50km this morning, went to hook up with the Swords CC beginners spin, but only myself and another lad turned up, so we set off from the Lord Mayors, over Howth the less steep direction, and back to Swords. It was my 1st time over Howth and I have to say on a morning like this morning it was fabulous, blue skies, gentle breeze which never seemed to be into our faces, and a nice warm bit of sunshine, I guess mornings like this are what cycling is all about, I hope the weather is as good next Sun for the SKT!

Last spin before the Waterford 90k tonight, went from main street Swords up the N1, left over the Nags Head and then back to Swords main street via Ballyboughal and the Rathbeal Road. 30k avg speed 24.7kph.

Given the SKT 90k looks like four to five Nags heads strung together I think I am in for alot of suffering on Sunday, but I am confident it's within me.

Ok, one month in:

450km clocked up avg speed 24.24kph.
    Weight is down from 105kg to 98kg.
    Off to Waterford for the 90km Coast route on Sunday.

I have found my fitness has really come on alot the last 4 weeks, and I can now go for much longer rides at the same speed, and this past week I have done Howth once and the Nags Head twice as part of a 50k and two 30k cycles respectively.

I am pretty good on the flat, but I do think the excess weight is a real handicap on the hills, though the improvement on both is clearly noticeable.

I loaded up on some cheap Lidl gear to keep me warm through the coming months, although the clocks going back is going to be a major setback in late Oct. I think I will invest in a turbo and try to do an hour on it 4-5 nights a week, though I suspect it's hard to find the same motivation for turbo training as the real thing. Getting a 3mth Trial membership of the local Jackie Skellies is another possibility and seeing how that goes through the dark cold months ahead.

I guess my main regret at the moment is that I didn't start this earlier in the year, and the nights are beginning to close in already.

cycling.jpg

Off road is a good winter alternative. Getting covered in sh1t is great craic. MTB before a turbo any day.

Just back home from the SKT 90km

Firstly I'd like to say what a brilliant event it was, great job by the 800 odd volunteers and the people who cheered us all the way, it really made you dig in when the hills and the vicious headwind on the way back were doing there best to demoralise you.

Anyways I am thrilled with my ride.

Time Rolling: 3hrs 45mins
    Avg Speed: 23.6kph
    Distance: 88.9km

I reckon the amount of climbing must be getting on for 1000m, anyone with a non phone GPS able to confirm?

Thank god for the uber Granny ring on my hybrid, gave me some respite on some of the exceptionally steep bits.

Will be back there next year for sure!

Well done.

Drop bar carbon fibre and the 160k at next years SK??

papac wrote: »
    Well done.

Drop bar carbon fibre and the 160k at next years SK??

We all have to aim for something, so the 160k is something I would like to do once I feel I am capable.

The one thing I noticed today is that the only thing that stopped me having to take a walk was the uber granny ring on my hybrid. I will be getting a Carbon road bike in the coming months, but along with my fitness and weight loss efforts I will have to learn how to turn much higher gears effectively on steep hills, though I am sure the latter will most definitely be a consequence of the former two, but its another part of my learning exercise.

A lot done, more to do ;) but given the authors track record I will be fatter and more unfit than ever come next season :)

Some pics from the start

4938745825_8e481c642d_b.jpg

download1mg.jpg

download2x.jpg

download3o.jpg

Getting faster:

45:19
    Avg 28.02

Swords Main Street, up the N1 past Blakes Cross, left into Ballyboughal, down through Roganstown, Up the Rathbeal road and back to Swords Main Street.

If I could find a flat windless course I could definitely avg 30kph for 20km now. I am sure a roadbike will also improve things.

Other bike improvements - Bar ends added, Lidl Spd Shoes and BBB spd cleats and pedals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Inquitus wrote: »
    The one thing I noticed today is that the only thing that stopped me having to take a walk was the uber granny ring on my hybrid. I will be getting a Carbon road bike in the coming months, but along with my fitness and weight loss efforts I will have to learn how to turn much higher gears effectively on steep hills, though I am sure the latter will most definitely be a consequence of the former two, but its another part of my learning exercise.

I'm still using a hybrid, having started cycling this year myself. Used to use the granny ring a fair bit starting out, but very rarely use it now. Still nice to have it for the very steep ramps, but once you get used to climbing in the middle ring you use it less and less. My approach was to repeat the same hill at the start of each spin, and not drop gears until further and further in, until you eventually reach the top in the desired gear. It's kind of funny perhaps, but now I think of certain climbs in terms of gears (e.g. cruagh road is a 2-4 for a short spin, and a 2-3 if I'm goinf to be out all day. The climb up the sally gap on the military road is mostly 2-4 but defo goes a bit 2-2 after the carpark at lough bray, the a glorious 3-9 all the way to the cross roads).

• Advertisement

Quick update on my Training.

750km @ 24.5kph avg on the bike since I began 6 odd weeks ago, only 25km more to Paris :)

145km @ 26kph avg last 7 days, twice over the Nag's Head and once over the top of Howth.

My climbing while still bordering on pathetic is a lot better than is was even a couple of weeks ago.

Joined the local Gym, and when the weather is inclement in the evenings I have been going in instead of having a spin, and doing 15mins at 10kph and varying inclines on a cardio program on the treadmill, and 20mins on the Arc trainer, as well as an assortment of 6 diff weights as provided to me by the personal trainer dude.

Down to 93kg now from the starting position of 105kg, so everything is going well so far and I feel so much better just for being generally fitter and more healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Fair play to you. That much dedication to your training programme is paying off big time for ya.

Ok back on the bike after the winter. The Gym thing didn't work out so well, and I ate alot of pies over the festive season.

Went out the other night and did 20km, it was cold and whilst I had a appropriate layers on top, I had just my shorts on and I didn't really get enough warmth into my legs. 8 whole minutes slower than when I laid the bike down when winter descended, some of that down to the cold, and going out way too fast, the rest down to the idle winter. I am still way fitter than when I started out last year, but have definitely regressed somewhat. I think it will take 4 weeks or so to get back to where I was.

I have a new steed arriving on the bike to work scheme this weekend.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/Z-Series/Z6.aspx

and will be attacking the roads around North County Dublin with renewed vigour, again coupled with a return to healthy, sensible, eating.

My aim for this year is to complete the 160km Kelly Comeragh Challenge on Sunday 28th August 2011.

Picked up the new Felt Z6 Road bike tonight, only got to take her for a quick 15km spin as the night was closing in. All I can say is WOW the difference between this and the Giant Hybid I had been riding is unbelievable.

A good start to my Cycling Season, week one and 140km in the legs.

Mon: 10km
    Tues: 20km
    Weds: 20km
    Thurs: 10km
    Fri: 20km
    Sat: 24km
    Sun: 40km

Cycled to Portmarnock and back on Saturday and then went out for a short spin with the missus, trying to get here bitten by the bug, we'll see how it goes :)

Went out on my own on Sunday to try and hook up with the Swords CC Beginners spin, but they were a no show, and they missed out on a fabulous morning. Up to Balbriggan from Swords into a hell of a headwind, left into the Naul, past a very unsavoury looking market, into the Naul Cafe for a well deserved coffee and a bit of Breakie. Then up and over Naul hill and sailed all the way home to Swords.

Weight 95.5kg. First time I have weighed myself since last year. Good to see that I didn't pile all the losses back on, still 10kg down on when I started last year!

Currently aiming for the Kare Tour de Foothills 50km in a couple of weeks time as my first event of the year. I think the 100km would be pushing it a bit much only back in the saddle a few weeks.

I have found the road bike to be a revelation, it feels so responsive compared to the hybrid, so much more precise. I also found it took 2 minutes off my 10km time between one day and the next.

The components on it are variable and none are top end, I will work towards improving it as I go along. I wanted to get a bike with a decent frame on the Bike2Work scheme, with a limited choice available as I could only use Eurocycles. In the end I got this Felt Z6 for 1300 quid, of which 1000 is under the scheme, so all in the bike will cost me just under 800 euro, which seems a decent enough deal.

The first thing that needs to be changed is the shifter/brake combo as the shifter is awful. Will be looking for advice next month when I have a few quid to spend, hopefully I can pick up some 105 or better 2nd hand on here.

Long may this good weather continue!

Z6_2011_SMALL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I think I saw this bike in the Naul cafe last Sunday - very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭muad_dib77

brilliant thread & well wear with the new bike!

Annual Total: 240km
    Weekly Total: 100km

Tues 25km
    Thurs 25km
    Friday 25km
    Sat 25km

Busy with work this week, and it being mothers day I had to miss out on my long spin today on account of getting up with the kids and letting the missus go out for the day.

Still 100km isn't a terrible week. Started on a new route this week, Swords to Ashbourne and back along the Rathbeale road for 25km. Legs felt really good on Friday and I managed to average 28kph.

Weight 94.3kg so it keeps going down which is always good.

Might introduce a proper, by NCD standards, hill into proceedings next week, heading up from Swords towards Balbriggan, over the Nags Head and back to swords via Ballyboughal for a 30km spin.

Definite improvement in fitness over the past couple of weeks, getting closer to where I left off last year.

Managed to sell my old faithful Giant CSR 4.0 and bought one of these for the missus off adverts.
    city15l.jpg

She has been out for 2 x 10km spins so far and seems to like it, so fingers crossed.

2 weeks til the 50km Kare Tour de Foothills.

A brief highlight for me tonight:

10km in 19:52 which is the first time I have averaged over 30kph for 10km. Windy tonight and whilst I wouldn't call the course hilly, it has one short dig from the ballyboughal direction up onto the Rathbeal road.

Might be able to make a run at a 30kph average over the 24km from Swords to the roundabout at the end of the Rathbeal road in Ashbourne, and back to Swords in the coming weeks, if this wind ever dies down! Managed to average 28.4kph over that route earlier this week.

• Advertisement

A great week on the bike this week, 245km for a 2011 total of 485km all in the last 3 weeks:

Mon: 25km Swords - Ashbourne - Swords
    Tues: 25km Swords - Ashbourne - Swords
    Weds: 30km Swords - Nags Head - Ballyboughal - Swords
    Thurs: 10km Swords - Ballyboughal - Swords averaged over 30kph for the first time
    Fri: 45km Swords - Howth from easy side - Swords
    Sat: 45km Swords - Howth from easy side - Swords
    Sun: 65km Swords - Lusk - Rush - Skerries - Balbriggan - Naul - Ballyboughal - Swords

Stats from the long spin today
    Climb: 351.6 m Calories burnt: 2361 kcal Avg Pace: 2:22 min/km
    Avg Speed: 25.32 km/h Max Speed: 46.47 km/h Min Speed: 8.12 km/h

Really started to struggle coming into Naul, and didn't really enjoy the last 15km home. A scone and a coffee in the wonderful Cafe did help sooth my aching frame mind!

Down to 93kg now, feeling much fitter, average speed is improving slightly everytime I get on the bike. Still struggling with the hills though, not sure I could get up Howth from the village side in one go, given I only have 3 spare gears when attacking it from the easy side. Obviously losing weight is going to help with climbing, but I am always going to be more of a Cavendish than a Contador when it comes to the hills due to my build.

The micro.shift break/shifters on the bike are brutal, trying to buy a used set of Ultegra 6600 off of adverts, the mechanic in Eurocycles kindly offered to fit the new shifters gratis which was exceptionally nice of him.

Wanted list atm:

Better shifters
    Better Pedals
    Road Shoes
    Garmin + HR + Cadence

Who said cycling was a cheap sport eh?

Advertisement