Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year old autistic boy shot 11 times by police...US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

See, it's not always about race.

As long as it’s not always about race then everyone should be happy.

This is a good example of what is meant by defund the police.

Police shouldn’t be the people you call when you need help transporting someone to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The only thing this proves Is that the training provided to police in the US is absolutely terrible.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Smee_Again wrote: »

Police shouldn’t be the people you call when you need help transporting someone to hospital.

If "defund the police" means "transfer some funding from the police to medical emergency services" then it's a terrible slogan for what it's trying to achieve.

If "defund the police" means "transfer some funding from the police to medical emergency services" then it's a terrible slogan for what it's trying to achieve.

Not just medical emergency services, other services too. Social workers etc.

But yeah, it is an awful slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is scary how quick they are to resort to their weapons, and not just someone relatively benign like a taser.

It is one fooked up country.

Seeing the amount of weaponry that US police now carry they appear to be expecting a scene out of Heat or Den of Thieves.

Also it doesn't help that a fair few of them are ex military.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You saw a child murdered by the police so you decide to use it to push your agenda? That's disgraceful, frankly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

The police reaction in the US is heightened by their stupid culture of baring arms. They need to do a lot more than defunding the police if they want to address and reform the extraordinary level of gun violence in their country as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You saw a child murdered by the police so you decide to use it to push your agenda? That's disgraceful, frankly.

Do you complain when BLM or BLM supporters do the same?

Hope he makes a full recovery. (He isn’t dead despite claims that he was murdered.)

ALM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any excuse for another "discussion" about race on CA. Taken over once all common sense has been lost by the kind of lads who teach their kids Covid-19 is a hoax and all Nigerians are scammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ms Barton warned police that her son said earlier that day that he had a gun and had threatened to shoot her male co-worker and break windows in the house, the video showed.

Oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The only thing this proves Is that the training provided to police in the US is absolutely terrible.

I'm not sure it's solely a training issue. I think there are a lot of power-hungry, trigger-happy, gun-fanatic angry men with a chip on their shoulder who are attracted to the police force in the US.

I don't think any amount of training so going to be able to prevent them from shooting their guns. It's what a lot of them have signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Smee_Again wrote: »

I really don't get the point behind defunding the police. It see.a pretty obvious to me Thrt the police are woefully undertrained and probably understaffed.

There might be some tactically brilliant idea behind the activism to defunding the police, but I dont understand it.

That's a desperately sad video. I saw a scared boy with autism and a scared police officer with a gun and without a clue. More training couldn't hurt but ultimately theres no cure for stupid. It should be a well paid job because it's an important job and they should have competitive wages so they can pick clever candidates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you complain when BLM or BLM supporters do the same?

Why would I complain about BLM protesting black people being murdered by the police?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

RIP

ALM

He’s not dead

Why would I complain about BLM protesting black people being murdered by the police?

As you know, he's suggesting that the only black lives that matter to BLM are the ones that are politically useful. Which is true.

Nice twisting of my words.

BLM uses deaths of blacks people to push an agenda.

The agenda being among other things ‘defunding the police’, close prisons, ‘looting for reparations’.

Just because you may support that agenda, don’t play games and try to claim it isn’t also an agenda.

(And hi to my stalker.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Oh...

Ehhh you forgot to mention that she told police it was pellet gun and that police admit he wasnt armed when they shot him.

He was running away and wouldn't lie on the ground.

Nice twisting of my words.

BLM uses deaths of blacks people to push an agenda.

The agenda being among other things ‘defunding the police’, close prisons, ‘looting for reparations’.

Just because you may support that agenda, don’t play games and try to claim it isn’t also an agenda.

(And hi to my stalker.)

To be honest, I don't believe any of this and frankly, the OP just seems to be an attempt to poison the well. A child has been murdered and you're spouting the usual right wing nonsense about BLM.

H. H. Asquith

He’s not dead

Yes, fair point. Another poster claimed he was ‘murdered’, I assumed he was dead when I read that.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I don't believe any of this and frankly, the OP just seems to be an attempt to poison the well. A child has been murdered and you're spouting the usual right wing nonsense about BLM.

For a start he hasn’t been murdered, he is still alive.

As I said, I don’t see you complaining about BLM and BLM supporters pushing their own ‘left wing’ agenda when black people die or are injured in similar circumstances.

If BLM was really about ‘All Lives Matter’ as some claim, then BLM and BLM supporters would be all over this the same as they would be if he was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So many things wrong in that story.

If you had a difficult child here, the guards would be the last person you'd call to get them to an appointment.

The cops in the US seem programmed to go for the gun on every occasion. Probably because so many of them get away with its use. Surely any cop worth their salt should be able to have a child without resorting to their weapon?

But hey, no story out of America surprised me any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For a start he hasn’t been murdered, he is still alive.

As I said, I don’t see you complaining about BLM and BLM supporters pushing their own ‘left wing’ agenda when black people die or are injured in similar circumstances.

If BLM was really about ‘All Lives Matter’ as some claim, then BLM and BLM supporters would be all over this the same as they would be if he was black.

Because one agenda is trying to keep people alive, the other is trying to give a pass to poor training and systems with no accountability in order to maintain a status quo.

Seeing the two 'agenda's as the same is like giving flat earthers equal respect as science.

ALM will be all over it, no need for BLM, they have enough going on. ALM will be all over it, right?

ALM will be all over it, no need for BLM, they have enough going on. ALM will be all over it, right?

There isn’t an ALM because people have been shamed into believing that even the saying ‘ALM’ is racist.

There was a thread on here where a moderator started a new thread with a long post about why ALM was racist.

Because one agenda is trying to keep people alive
    If it was confined to this then very few would have an issue but BLM's own manifesto (written by its Maxist founders) says otherwise.

Because one agenda is trying to keep people alive, the other is trying to give a pass to poor training and systems with no accountability in order to maintain a status quo.

Seeing the two 'agenda's as the same is like giving flat earthers equal respect as science.

Yeah, ‘looting for reparations’ and defunding police so crime levels rise is all about keeping people alive.

And of course ‘keeping people alive’ assuming they are black and not the victims of black on black violence.

I really don't get the point behind defunding the police. It see.a pretty obvious to me Thrt the police are woefully undertrained and probably understaffed.

There might be some tactically brilliant idea behind the activism to defunding the police, but I dont understand it.

That's a desperately sad video. I saw a scared boy with autism and a scared police officer with a gun and without a clue. More training couldn't hurt but ultimately theres no cure for stupid. It should be a well paid job because it's an important job and they should have competitive wages so they can pick clever candidates.

I didn’t watch the video.

But, to your first point. That’s why defund the police is such a bad slogan.

It’s more about funding the services needed to actually serve the people the police aren’t trained to, so you’re right they are undertrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, ‘looting for reparations’ and defunding police so crime levels rise is all about keeping people alive.

And of course ‘keeping people alive’ assuming they are black and not the victims of black on black violence.

You have extremists within each grouping.

Some BLM supporters who call for the above, some police officers like Sheriff Todd Wright who repeatedly admonished his girl friend for speaking to a ni**er in a convenience store.

You can take the extremists as indicative of the whole if you wish, or you can look at the core message.

• Advertisement

There isn’t an ALM because people have been shamed into believing that even the saying ‘ALM’ is racist.

There was a thread on here where a moderator started a new thread with a long post about why ALM was racist.

I know, shocking. A lot of folks have been saying BLM is racist too. Some even saying that ALM is an ill-informed rebuttal to BLM and nothing more. Usually uttered by the ignorant or the racist, apparently.

Advertisement