Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XVI

Options
  • 17-09-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

Not much to go on so far after the trailer release last night, but Naoki Yoshida who produced and directed XIV will be producing and Hiroshi Takai who directed the The Last Remnant will be directing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Considering the sh!t show that was FFXV and FF7R, i think im done with FF, even with Naoki Yoshida overseeing. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But FF15 was loads of fun and FF7 Remake while a bit too padded out had the best ARPG battle system outside of Falcom games and was loads of fun as well???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It will be interesting to see what Ryota Suzuki's influence will be on the game as it will be his first since leaving Capcom and he has previously worked on Dragons Dogma and DMC 5. The Last Remnant for all its flaws actually had a really impressive and unique battle system so between Suzuki and Takai we could see something special.

The lack of Nomura and Toriyama has actually made me feel more excited for the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square Enix have been doing pretty well with poaching Capcom Staff. The monster Hunter combat designer worked on the FF7 Remake combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But FF15 was loads of fun and FF7 Remake while a bit too padded out had the best ARPG battle system outside of Falcom games and was loads of fun as well???

Mindless button mashing combat and the stories were an absolute mess.. Did you even play FF7R to the end? I was in awe at just how much they changed and ****ed it up. And the padding you speak of makes up 80% of the game :pac:

Both 15 and 7R story wise were convoluted messes, so id be surprised if 16 were to be any different. Combat wise, its looking the same :(

• Advertisement

The way I see it if you play FF for the story you need to play a different game series.

I didn't play much of FF7 Remake as I'm waiting on the PC release but the combat is so good even if it really does feel padded. And I know the ending... it's horrendous. But I don't care. The game is so much fun. Same with FF15.

I recognise now that outside of the Matsuno games the FF games stories are kind of rubbish but the systems are what I play them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

nix wrote: »
    Did you even play FF7R to the end? I was in awe at just how much they changed and ****ed it up. And the padding you speak of makes up 80% of the game :pac:

I did, yes theirs some padding but it's still one of the years best games due to the superb combat system and the story was fine. Hopefully all future FF games will copy FF7R's combat.

I hope not. I like how FF combat is different every game.

Would like to see them expand on it though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No Matsuno involved? Retro will be gutted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ooo, think this is the first time I've seen animated blood [fella getting squished by a boulder, another getting throat slashed] in a Final Fantasy game [not including the blood trail in FF7]... :o

• Advertisement

8, Type 0 and Tactics have also had blood from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

It looks very tame to me in fairness.
    Lot of hype but im not impressed with the old generation graphics.
    this was 100% a ps4 release pushed out to enhance the PS5 releasee marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

FFVIIR combat is great, a very good balance of action and turn based I thought. XV was pretty bad though.

That said I haven't enjoyed SP Final Fantasy since XII and even then it wasn't until the re-release of XII that I properly liked it.

XVI I think looks like a dream team considering the people behind it. The team that 'saved' the FF brand and XIV and apparently a DMC/Dragon's Dogma combat designer sounds like a great pairing.

But that trailer looks dull. Maybe they're just not chasing visuals anymore which would be good tbh, but I'm not super hype for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Rewatched the trailer and im kinda digging the vibes. Seems like a more mature and dark world thats being created here. I'm semi hype

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm not hyped yet, but then again, that's normal to start with for me. However, I do like the upgrade to the battle system and I've always been a bit of a sucker for medieval-feel in games so this could be a winner for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have to admit I’m getting cautiously interested in an FF game for the first time in a very long while. This looks great, especially on a 4K screen (wonder how much of a hit it will take in performance mode).

My only slight concern is it looks like those health bars can take a while to wear down. Hope the combat doesn’t feel too… not bullet spongey, but maybe sword spongey? 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Combat looks sooooo good. I know the word epic gets thrown around a lot but this is exactly how it looks. I started skipping though the Eikon battles at the end, yes, they look amazing, I want to discover those as I play though.

Clive's male friend friend has an incredibly familiar voice, I mean a lot of the case sound like they're from GoT but that guy was definitely in a few things I've seen. Watching that trailer has made me want to reinstall FF7 Remake. And as for the negatives, I agree, enemies do look sword spongey and I'm also not sure of only controlling Clive in battle. I loved controlling the whole party in FF7 but really felt a downside to only controlling Yuffie in the dlc but maybe it will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Clive's male friend friend has an incredibly familiar voice

I assume you Ralph Ineson - yeah he has a very recognisable voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think that looks brilliant, another iteration on the FF7 Remake combat system. Im very interested in this

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this but will have to wait for the Pc release. Squaresoft had the best real time RPG combat system along with Xenoblade in FF7 Remake so looking forward to seeing it in a game that hopefully doesn't waste so much of your time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was very happy with last nights reveal, really looking forward to it now, looks like it will be a fantastic game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s hard to tell until we get ours hand on it, but it almost looks more like a Bayonetta-style character action game in combat over a traditional action RPG. Obviously it must play differently than that, and you can see the skill menu down in the right hand corner. But yeah, it definitely seems like a bigger shift towards real-time action than even FF7 Remake

Still, a character action RPG hybrid? It's something different at least and with the Devil May Cry combat director on board it has a good chance at being amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I noticed that too - enemy health bar barely draining after the main character landing all sorts of flashy looking attacks. Hopefully that was a higher difficulty setting that I won’t be playing on otherwise it will get boring very quickly. Apart from that the game looks great and I’m glad it’s real time combat, no interest in turned based.

Shame they are using that Ralph Ineson chap’s voice though - I won’t be able to separate it from the sales rep he played in The Office many years back. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Have there been any ff16 bundles annouhed for europe? Think it might be time to bite the bullet and buy a ps5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

There's a PS5 + game bundle (similar to the current Ps5 + GoW Ragnarok bundle) which is just the regular console with the game (downloadable via a voucher, not a disc). Not announced offciially for Ireland, but should be able to get it in Smyths.

There is a FFXVI branded console and controller bundle - but only for Japan.

Console bundle? Sony putting a lot of faith in the game that it will be a system seller which hopefully is a good thing... and not a cyberpunk thing.

Demo is apparently around four-five hours long (!) so thank god progress carries over to the full game.

Played the first 45 mins or so - mostly story, but by god is it the best advertisement for HDR since Returnal. All those particle effects really pop like crazy. Frame rate seems pretty pretty wobbly with frame rate prioritised alas - hopefully that’ll be tidied up for launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well I've gone from.being excited to play to avoiding. Story seems good, graphics look great but my God the gameplay is just awful.

Its just chaotic on screen. The story element was far too easy. And then the eikonic section where you are put later into the game, its just nonsense. Flashy lights, very little to no tactical element at all.

Your auto equipped with the time of evasion ring which just prompts you constantly to hit r1. Without it you can't see a fuckn thing so have no idea when to evade. After that its literally button mash, wait for your special powers to cool down and rinse repeat.

Its just not good.

Advertisement