Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XVI

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Dunno, wouldn't say FF is known for its dungeon desingn. Once you move away from grid based maps I would say rpg dungeons design is actually quite diffcult.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Despite my complaints earlier I did end up buying this, and beating it. Mostly found its combat to be decent (yet still very hard to see much of it). But you spend most of your time doing boring MMO homework, which wasn't what I was expecting but probably should have due to it being the FFXIV team

It actually got worse overtime as well. At the time I felt like it was a decent game, but as I look back it's maybe the most boring AAA I've ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OOOOOF

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did the titan fight last night, my god that was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That the one that involves you moving up and around various arms? I found it quite tedious by the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's the one ya, the music was awesome as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally got back into playing this last night after a three week absence. Still very early in the game.

My main bone of contention though is Circle (ekonic dash move) and R1 (dodge) should be switched. Flipped through the rest of the control presets but they were all over the place. I just end up teleporting to right beside the enemy and getting hit rather than dodge away from attack. Minor grumble all the same, just feels unintuitive (as it would mean your ekonic abilities are both on R buttons, and Circle for dash is a basic combat move like Square and Triangle).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Finished this on Friday. Have to say I quite enjoyed the overall experience but it will definitely benefit from harder difficult modes. Started a NG+ on Final Fantasy mode and by skipping cutscenes I'm already a third through the game again :D

Regarding the ending...

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed on how abrupt it is, I'm a sucker for tying up loose ends and this thing has them in a few places. The ending after the credits too opens up plenty of questions and I could see this having been a playground argument over what it means that Joshua is the author of the "Final Fantasy" story.

But it does do the tragic hero ending particularly well. You don't see that too often these days so I have to admit it was refreshing.

Looking forward to more finishing for further analysis!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished last night. Overall, a decent game but thats about it. Aside from when i first got the new "powers" to try them out, Ifrit was who I aligned with for combat for 99% of the game. Magic was absolutely abysmal and I reckon I didn't cast anything for the last 20 hours of gameplay Cut scenes were a total drag and I skipped everyone of them. The character and weapon builds were very poorly realised and there was none of the discovery from FF games of the past. The game is a linear button basher and far removed from what I would consider to be a FF game but I enjoyed it well enough. It looked gorgeous and some of the boss fights were cool but not particularly taxing. 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So it looks like despite the massive sales square Enix has declared that the game has underperformed. I guess that exclusivity delay didn't work out but its probably another case of square over estimating sales to investors. I more than likely made a profit but all that matters is the shareholders are happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The more I progress through the game the more baffled I am by some of the design and balancing the decisions the designers have settled on. It’s like some entire systems exist in a weird first draft format and weren’t progressed beyond that.

Limit breaking is a perfect example. The scene fills with flashy flames when you invoke it, and you heal, but it doesn’t seem to do much additional damage at all compared to normal combat? If an enemy is staggered and I unleash a limit break, it’s going to do roughly the same amount of damage as if I just used the standard combat cooldown skills instead. I upgraded limit break to see if that’d make a difference but I just got an extra notch on the limit break gauge instead. Maybe it improves later, but at the moment it seems like the actual gameplay impact of it barely matters, relative to the aesthetic flashiness of it all.

Ditto the weapons system. You sometimes get given cool, unique weapons as part of the story, or can craft them after defeating a major boss. But then you’ll often just get another better standard sword at your next visit to the shop or armoury. Sword upgrades don’t really do anything beyond ‘number goes up’, but still feels very strange to get a major character’s sword in a big story beat and then never use it again after maybe 30 mins of play.

On top of all the weird pacing issues, meandering story (they really were smart releasing the prologue as a demo, as that’s by far the most interesting the story has been so far), terrible quest design etc… it all just gives the sense of a project that never fully came together. And it’s a shame, because I actually appreciate that they scaled back relative to the open world excesses of 15, and I like the switch to character action game. There’s still enjoyment in using the combat system to its fullest, even if it lacks the sheer technical depth of the genre’s best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not sure I'll continue on with this for now. I've had limited time for playing anything the last two months or so, but I'm also just not feeling any pull or draw to keep going with this. I'll probably return to it at some point in the future as I'm still early enough in the game that it shouldn't make a difference, but I think I'll switch to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

There's some tech with limit break, essentially works the same as devil trigger in DMC. It can cancel attacks and invuln through some stuff. You can use it as a get out of jail for that reason.

A lot of the damage stuff is down to cycling usage of stagger inducing stuff and stagger multipliers, then paying out with the big raw damage moves. To be honest, I wasn't good at the maths on that stuff cause the game is so visually unclear, so I just DMC-ed my way through regardless of optimising damage.

But using limit break to cancel the recovery on some of the more committal options and cooldowns is nice.

As for not coming together, I've a kind of different view of it. So much of its design resembles FFXIV in its pacing and structure, and even cutscenes. Then there's the lite DMC part of it. I think they made the game they wanted to make here, it's just that maybe working on FFXIV for so long has insulated them a bit from the way that games like Witcher III has taken the genre. It seemed very western oriented at its beginning but it's very much a character action game made by MMO devs, with all the caveats of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been plugging away at this for the last two weeks or so to try to finish it before Baldur's Gate hits PS5. Just passed the Titan fight last night, so seems I'm into roughly the final third or so of the game.

It's yet another game where the problems could be solved by editing. When the game sparks, it really sparks. I do really enjoy the flow of the combat system - grinding down a stagger bar before unleashing as much hell as you can. The game opens up more and more as you unlock additional Eikons. Between Titan Block, the mini-limit-break dodge ring, and the more and more equipped abilities at your disposal, it really does feel great in action even if it's definitely total character action game rather than RPG. The hunt fights also ensure there's a more steady stream of big fights.

But god it's at least twice, three times as long as it needs to be. The amount of useless downtime and busywork between the truly good stuff is infuriating. It'd be fine if that downtime was interesting, but alas. The story grows increasingly meandering and dull as it goes, the subquests remain awful, and even the more dramatic, exciting parts of the game are weighed down by a few too many dull fights against random grunts. But most frustrating of all is that the pace at which upgrades are doled out is farcically slow. 20 hours into the game before I can increase potion potency? 5-6 hour gaps between unlocking new Eikons? Immensely scabby ability upgrade XP? It all takes a toll.

There's a reason a Bayonetta or Hi-Fi Rush isn't 40 hours long. But FFXVI insists on being an epic, long RPG, despite virtually every aspect of its design shouting from the rooftop that it is absolutely not an RPG. This would be a stone-cold banger if it was 20 hours long, I reckon. As is, it's a slog enlivened by occasional bursts of wonderful spectacle and fighting. Somehow still better than FF7 Remake in that regard, though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Free update out today with weapon transmog and 2 paid dlc have been announced

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HopingforNewZ

Finished it this week having been plugging away since June. Combat is good, the game looks beautiful and I liked the ending. However, the game is really padded out and the pacing is so awful I almost just gave up after about 25 hours! 7/10 - still the best FF since XII.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Had a go at the demo, I think so far it's been like 5 minutes of killing goblins and 45 minutes of pointless cutscenes. It's frustrating to watch a cutscene, then you get control and think you're finally going to play, you take 10 steps forward and... yep, cutscene again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Like most of the games, once you're skipping cut scenes, it ties the action well together but they are like MGS games the first playthrough if you're watching all the cutscenes. The demo is a bit more cutscene heavy that some of the "open-world" spaces where you can fart about a bit more but gotta acknowledge that the game is absolutely littered with cutscenes

The game does get less cutscene heavy - or at least more gameplay between the story drops - but the pacing is appalling. So much messing around doing inane tasks in between the generally great combat, though even some combat sections run way too long.

Ive played around 30 hours if it I think over several months, and really think it feels extraordinarily long and bloated. In contrast, I’ve played around 55-60 hours of Baldur’s Gate 3 in a month and that has absolutely flown by with a constant parade of interesting ideas and encounters. The difference pacing can make!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah I’d agree there. I enjoyed the first half a lot more than the 2nd half. The side missions were an absolute chore. I only did them as sometimes you got upgrades but I began skipping the dialogue scenes.

Also the loot has to be up there for one of the biggest trolls in gaming history. Late game areas and there are drops of 1 or 2 gil. What were they thinking

Oh yeah, the 1-2 Gil drops are hilariously terrible. There’s so little to spend money on too relative to most games, other than occasional weapons upgrades and overexpensive records for the hub jukebox!

The loot is awful - have hundreds of some crafting items in my inventory, when you only need a couple for upgrades. Also found the ability economy very scabby - takes agggeesss to earn enough skill points to buy new stuff to try. At least you can refund, but feels like you should be getting new abilities far more regularly than you do.

Advertisement