Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ulver are a cool band.

Started out in the 90's as a bunch of Norwegian teenagers making their own idiosyncratic brand of black metal, they've been following their own path ever since - moving through different brands of metal, through trip hop, through electronica, through jazz, through new age, all kinds really ...Incredibly diverse band. They've been sticking with a type of dark synth pop for the last couple of albums, including their new one, Flowers of Evil. I like what I hear so far. Maybe the songs aren't the hookiest, but they build cool atmospheres in these songs. I love the final two minutes of this song.

Any love for them in here? I could ask the metal heads in the other forum, but Ulver haven't been metal for over twenty years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Arghus wrote: »
    Ulver are a cool band.

Started out in the 90's as a bunch of Norwegian teenagers making their own idiosyncratic brand of black metal, they've been following their own path ever since - moving through different brands of metal, through trip hop, through electronica, through jazz, through new age, all kinds really ...Incredibly diverse band. They've been sticking with a type of dark synth pop for the last couple of albums, including their new one, Flowers of Evil. I like what I hear so far. Maybe the songs aren't the hookiest, but they build cool atmospheres in these songs. I love the final two minutes of this song.

Any love for them in here? I could ask the metal heads in the other forum, but Ulver haven't been metal for over twenty years.

Ye would enjoy a bit of Ulver now and again. Probably would prefer the earlier material, but may not have given the later stuff enough of a chance either.

Shadows of the Sun and Perdition City, would be the ones I keep going back to.

Speaking of doom metal, although definitely hitting more of a post metal vibe, I've absolutely being loving A Dawn to Fear by Cult of Luna for the last few months. I think it came out last year or the year before, but it's stellar.

Ye would enjoy a bit of Ulver now and again. Probably would prefer the earlier material, but may not have given the later stuff enough of a chance either.

Shadows of the Sun and Perdition City, would be the ones I keep going back to.

Speaking of doom metal, although definitely hitting more of a post metal vibe, I've absolutely being loving A Dawn to Fear by Cult of Luna for the last few months. I think it came out last year or the year before, but it's stellar.

I've never really listened to Cult of Luna. But I've seen that people seem to rate them. I'll give them a whirl, even if I think post-metal is a bit played out in general. I think Isis and Neurosis have covered nearly every worthwhile angle.

Blood Inside is another Ulver album to put alongside Perdition City and Shadows of The Sun IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Will check that Cult of Luna album out. I somehow missed the original wave of post metal so I'm only really discovering the real early stuff now which is great. I remember listening to a bit of Neurosis back in the late 90s but it just didn't connect with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Joffrey

We released our new EP on August 24th. Really, really worked hard on it. Hope yous will check it out. Any likes or subs much appreciated. We play the Wild Duck on September 20th with Stitch Jones and Sweethang & Freeman. Here it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Joffrey wrote: »
    We released our new EP on August 24th. Really, really worked hard on it. Hope yous will check it out. Any likes or subs much appreciated. We play the Wild Duck on September 20th with Stitch Jones and Sweethang & Freeman. Here it is

That is some vile filth right there. Love it! Great Beasties cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

amazing sounds just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Joffrey

Cheers lads really appreciate that. If yous are on Spotify here's a link to our stuff on it

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1xeBRN8R2Y9VytLrJRH86c?si=NBo2_fcFTjap6hC-W54QEA

Bill Callahan has a new record out, Gold Record. Seems a bit more anchored to planet earth than his last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bill Callahan has a new record out, Gold Record. Seems a bit more anchored to planet earth than his last one.

Just ordered it but last year's was sublime I thought. A woozily beautiful record.

mosstin wrote: »
    Just ordered it but last year's was sublime I thought. A woozily beautiful record.

I didn't mean it as a criticism!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

I didn't mean it as a criticism!

Oh I knew that but it just feels good spreading the love about it.

This is the second track from Cloudkickers new release 'Solitude', his heaviest album since 'Beacons' in 2010.

Been a big fan, sound is always evolving, he keeps churning out high quality releases on a regular schedule. Pretty amazing for a one man operation.

Loving the return to the heavy stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've only ever listened to Let Yourself Be Huge, didn't realise that's quite a departure from this heavier stuff.

This is the second track from Cloudkickers new release 'Solitude', his heaviest album since 'Beacons' in 2010.

Been a big fan, sound is always evolving, he keeps churning out high quality releases on a regular schedule. Pretty amazing for a one man operation.

Loving the return to the heavy stuff.....

I found it boring and repetitive its not usual for one person to replicate an orchestra in 2020 content and lyrics matter

I found it boring and repetitive its not usual for one person to replicate an orchestra in 2020 content and lyrics matter

Pretty sure content has always mattered.....

Lyrics matter.....to you.

And finding Cloudkicker boring probably says more about yourself to be honest, considering some of the stuff you share.

That Ulver record I mentioned a few posts back is a serious grower. Fantastic nocturnal vibe. This song is one of my favorites of the year so far:

Some people seem displeased that they've stuck to roughly the same style for two albums in a row, but I couldn't get into the last one at all really, except for this tune, with its mental outro:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Ulver are absolutely unreal. The new one is quality, he is so fuckin diverse. Disco vibe off a few tracks. From soundtracks to black metal to party anthems, that lad can do the lot.

Everything Everything just released RE-ANIMATOR

Here's my favourite track. The melody really reminds me of The Distance by Cake, possibly just a coincidence but I am ready to tackle just about anything thrown at me since listening to this album twice in its entirety this evening.

I didn't think I had it in me anymore to feel this many emotions at one time. My winter is absolutely made, this is terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Doves album is everything i hoped it would be

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm going to listen to it with a very big cappuccino there in a minute, I've been waiting so long for it.

Is Flaming Lips one out today as well? We're spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

s1ippy wrote: »
    I'm going to listen to it with a very big cappuccino there in a minute, I've been waiting so long for it.

Is Flaming Lips one out today as well? We're spoiled.

on my 4th listen, the vinyl is getting delivered from spindizzy today too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

peteeeed wrote: »
    Doves album is everything i hoped it would be

Haven't listened to them in years but listening to that now and it's great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ulver are absolutely unreal. The new one is quality, he is so fuckin diverse. Disco vibe off a few tracks. From soundtracks to black metal to party anthems, that lad can do the lot.

Here's my favourite track. The melody really reminds me of The Distance by Cake, possibly just a coincidence but I am ready to tackle just about anything thrown at me since listening to this album twice in its entirety this evening.

I didn't think I had it in me anymore to feel this many emotions at one time. My winter is absolutely made, this is terrific.

They continue to be my favourite band. Yet another different type of album, a bit less 'weird' and a bit more stripped back in places. Johnathan's vocal arrangements shines especially. 'Moonlight' is probably the simplest song they have ever done, and while it may take a few listens, it seeps in to your head.

To anyone new to them, I would advise watching lyric videos for the new songs. The vocal mix on this is a little peculiar in places which I think isn't a problem for anyone used to Johnathan's falsetto, but for anyone new I think it can make it a little unclear.

Superb album though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

doves album is surprisingly good, usually when bands disappear for 10 years and come back there are one or two decent tracks but the general quality isn't there as the hunger has disappeared or some band members have left...but this is an album with very little filler

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Another thumbs up for the Doves album. On my second listen. Will purchase. If you like old Doves stuff, you'll like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

New Fleet Foxes album out today.

New Fleet Foxes album out today.

I enjoyed Crack-Up, it was beautifully produced, sounded fantastic, but there was something that left me feeling cold about it. It just never really stuck with me, even after seeing it performed live. It was such a shift in their sound. I probably haven't put it on in over two years and maybe it's worth another go.

This on first listen feels far more familiar to me, not a regression back to Helplessness Blues, but certainly more of the classic Fleet Foxes sound. Again it sounds fantastic, and there's certainly more immediacy here.

'Can I believe You' the stand out so far, but enjoying listening to it throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

donfers wrote: »
    doves album is surprisingly good, usually when bands disappear for 10 years and come back there are one or two decent tracks but the general quality isn't there as the hunger has disappeared or some band members have left...but this is an album with very little filler
    Granadino wrote: »
    Another thumbs up for the Doves album. On my second listen. Will purchase. If you like old Doves stuff, you'll like this.

Add me in as well.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it until today, but yeah, tis very good.

Looking forward to the commute tomorrow to give it a proper whirl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jesus! I stuck about 30 seconds of that.Must be my age, but I hear very little to be excited about, or even interested in, in new stuff I hear. That almost made my ears bleed.

Advertisement