Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Winds will abate mostly after this front moves through before picking up again from the west from 6am.

Looking from an IMBY perspective, i expect highest winds in Dublin around 3pm Saturday, with a gust to 60/65kt possible here as system exits east.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Wind calmed down here now, just a gentle breeze. Rain has cleared at last and sky brightening.

NWClare

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Its really hitting the southwest hard.
    Cork and Kerry will take a battering from this and coastal regions will be v dangerous

Absolutely pumped down rain here towards daybreak and on the school run , water pouring from the fields has held in a lot of places , looking West ,South West sky has brightened considerably and has a showery look , waiting now on tmrws events with VERY high tides at 6am and 6pm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Birroc wrote: »
    Drove through Salthill this morning. There is an air of menace around the place. Or it could just be the dark wet morning and my imagination.

phsalthill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Doesnt seem to be much in the way of tidal flooding in Dublin today, judging by the traffic cameras etc, although tomorrow is the greater risk with Low pressure progged at about 965

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone one the time it will hit the West Coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to be much in the way of tidal flooding in Dublin today, judging by the traffic cameras etc, although tomorrow is the greater risk with Low pressure progged at about 965

The astronomical tide height tomorrow is supposed to be lower so there is a chance of a problem but it's reduced by around 20CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Tide today in dublin is 4.4 meters, but it's 4.5 tomorrow with a swell on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The depression is getting close to its peak intensity out in the Atlantic at the moment : http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

06Z GFS showing maximum gusts of 110 km/h for the far southwest and gusts of up to around 100 km/h mostly restricted to southwest/south coastal areas with 80-90 km/h gusts inland possible over the southern half of the country.

So stormy for places but certainly not exceptional in terms of wind speeds.

27-289UK.GIF?31-6
    33-289UK.GIF?31-6

The depression is getting close to its peak intensity out in the Atlantic at the moment : http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

06Z GFS showing maximum gusts of 110 km/h for the far southwest and gusts of up to around 100 km/h mostly restricted to southwest/south coastal areas with 80-90 km/h gusts inland possible over the southern half of the country.

I am willing to guarantee we will see gusts above 110 km.hr :D:pac:

- I continue to believe this storm will have greater windspeeds recorded than those during the Stephen's Day Storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Just down at Sandymount beach (high tide now), a tiny it of over-topping on the sea walls but nothing compared to the 3rd, not as much swell as the 3rd either, there's more force in the wind though. I'm sure tomorrows high tide will be a different story especially if that wind picks up a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I am willing to guarantee we will see gusts above 110 km.hr :D:pac:

- I continue to believe this storm will have greater windspeeds recorded than those during the Stephen's Day Storm.
    agree and for the south it looks worse than anything seen all winter. I expect cork airport to see over 130km

dacogawa wrote: »
    Just down at Sandymount beach (high tide now), a tiny it of over-topping on the sea walls but nothing compared to the 3rd, not as much swell as the 3rd either, there's more force in the wind though. I'm sure tomorrows high tide will be a different story especially if that wind picks up a bit...

The surge on the east coast tomorrow will increase seas by approx 6-9 feet tomorrow compared to today.

Today 9am

1-1391158800-1.gif

Tomorrow 3pm

1-1391266800-1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Those arrows suggest that Galway Bay will get more Westerly than South-Westerly winds which might spare Spiddal/Salthill somewhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hirlam 12 hr windspeed outlook on Dec 27 last:

291629.png

and current outlook for tomorrow's storm:

291630.png

Despite subtle differences and orientation, pretty similar in both terms of coastal wind speeds and areas affected, although the current system certainly has a more expansive area of +24 m/s speeds wrapping around the southern and western flank of that low. Interesting that the northwest seems to escape the worst of it again, which seems to be the form horse this winter so far, despite the varying paths of each respective system

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

The high tides in Dublin tomorrow are a bit higher than today but as Weathercheck's post shows the big difference is the swell pushing water up the Irish Sea & the much stronger winds which will make things far choppier. Would expect some flooding, wave over-topping and probably more coastal damages to the beaches - swell on Jan 6th did significant damage to the sand dunes here in Donabate :(

The wind direction does mean the risks for the East coast are less but nevertheless one to watch closely

Another scourge of these storms is the amount of plastic bottles washed up on the beaches!!

6g8MfA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Steopo wrote: »
    - swell on Jan 6th did significant damage to the sand dunes here in Donabate :(

6g8MfA.jpg

I walk Donabate 3-4 times a week and I wouldn't say it did "significant" damage at all. At best it was minor damage and that was mainly to the gates of the houses at the start of the beach.

IMO Significant damage is what happened all along the south and west coasts not Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Those arrows suggest that Galway Bay will get more Westerly than South-Westerly winds which might spare Spiddal/Salthill somewhat?

The strongest winds along the bay coast (at least according to DMI and subject to change) may still be from a SSW to SW direction very early tomorrow so could cause a few issues until the veer more towards the west, although remaining strong. I don't know the first thing about tide times but maybe someone else could help you out on that.

291641.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im sort of dubious about this being a level three. Think its wiser to stick with met eireann and meteoalarm levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

A yellow warning has been issued by the UK Met Office for snow in N.ireland....

• Advertisement

Hooter23 wrote: »
    A yellow warning has been issued by the UK Met Office for snow in N.ireland....

Probably due to this for midnight

14020100_3106.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

um, are we actually getting some snow tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    um, are we actually getting some snow tomorrow?

Cork. Snow. Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

291655.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

red_bairn wrote: »
    Cork. Snow. Ha!

:(:o i'm on constant wishing mode

fits wrote: »
    Im sort of dubious about this being a level three. Think its wiser to stick with met eireann and meteoalarm levels.

Bullsh*t. Wisdom is being prepared for the worst, even if you don't expect it. Better off ready for worse than you get than battered by worse than you expect.

FWIW, I'm aware of voluntary rescue orgs in Galway & Dublin that've put flood alerts to their members. That should tell you what to prepare for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Tiny bit of rain here in Galway city at 2pm. Not very windy at all.

We just finished cleaning up one of our apartments near the Corrib which flooded the place (only one in building) two weeks ago.

All to be done again no doubt . I can't even go there to help straight away sand bag as I have a bloody professional exam this afternoon.

Must sacrifice more to storm gods in future methinks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No flooding in Dublin today, thankfully a decent margin of safety at HW. We'll see about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The Sun is shinning, wind calmed down a lot and I see 15mm of precipitation last 24hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

fits wrote: »

Well with meteoalarm you could have separate warnings for distinct events. So for W and SW Ireland you could have a red alert for coastal flooding and an orange alert for wind. Not sure why met eireann does not use this option (I suppose the input for meteoalarm comes from met eireann)?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement