Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Maintenance?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I do everything except true a wheel. Ive only ever have to had it done 2 or 3 times in the 10+ years cycling so i dont see the point in buying the stand. Its a tenner well spent to have done properly.

I havent yet changed press fit BBs either but i plan on, just as soon as i figure out what tools i need for the PF4630 and 4624 BBs i have in two cannnondales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I see some people won't fix a headset but do other repairs that I find more difficult. Any bike that's fairly modern will have cartridge bearings that just pop out then you just grease up the new ones and pop them in. Put everything back in place and hand tighten the top cap until there is no play in the fork and you're done, very quick job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tuxy wrote: »
    I see some people won't fix a headset but do other repairs that I find more difficult. Any bike that's fairly modern will have cartridge bearings that just pop out then you just grease up the new ones and pop them in. Put everything back in place and hand tighten the top cap until there is no play in the fork and you're done, very quick job.

I think some people were talking about replacing the headset, rather than servicing it; I was anyway. You need special tools to press-fit the cups, as far as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah, that makes more sense and is something I would have to go to the lbs for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭cletus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think some people were talking about replacing the headset, rather than servicing it; I was anyway. You need special tools to press-fit the cups, as far as I understand it.

No reason you couldn't make that tool from threaded bar, big washers, and nuts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Newer headsets don't require special tools IMO, I've removed with a hammer and screwdriver and put in with a bit of wood and a hammer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I’ll do almost everything including wheel builds. I don’t have press fit tools for press fit bottom bracket but the bike is old enough that I may try the threaded bar homemade one that Cletus refers to.

The best thing about doing it yourself is you can sometimes source very cheap sub components - one of the bearings went in a zonda freehub. Two euros fifty for a better one in dicksons instead of sixty sterling for a new freehub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

cletus wrote: »
    No reason you couldn't make that tool from threaded bar, big washers, and nuts

It is one of the most occasional jobs there is though, so it's probably not one I'll do. But you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

everything except trueing wheels cant get my head round that

This guy's guide is excellent if you haven't read it already. Well worth the 10 euro.

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fat bloke wrote: »
    I fill my own water bottles aaaaaand...... oh yeah, I sometimes put air stuff in the tyre thingies...

Do I get a badge?
    do you have the special 35mm badge installation tool? or will you be going to your LBS to have it fitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭JMcL

Late to this, but I'd tackle most things myself (@ 3 adult bikes + 3 kids bike I need to!). I've replaced a full groupset myself and strip down the bottom bracket semi-regularly to clean/lube.

I'd balk at headsets, hub servicing (or anything else with bearings likely to fly off in a million different directions), and I prefer not to mess with spokes on the road bike as I have the horrible feeling I'd end up with something resembling a clown bike very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I tackle as much maintenance as I can myself. I like to know how things work and get enjoyment out of fixing them myself.
    I got a bike with disc brakes last year and would like to learn to service them myself.
    Had an issue where my rear calliper tightened too much while the wheel was removed to travel. Had to bring it back to the dealer to sort out which was a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭cletus

Effects wrote: »
    I tackle as much maintenance as I can myself. I like to know how things work and get enjoyment out of fixing them myself.
    I got a bike with disc brakes last year and would like to learn to service them myself.
    Had an issue where my rear calliper tightened too much while the wheel was removed to travel. Had to bring it back to the dealer to sort out which was a pain in the ass.

What happened? Presume the brake lever was pulled in transit, and forced the piston out too far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cletus wrote: »
    What happened? Presume the brake lever was pulled in transit, and forced the piston out too far?

Yeah, think that's what happened. It was tricky to get it into the bike box to transport. In future I'll pop something in place of the removed disc (or just hire a bike there!).

While trying to fix it, the piston dropped out, and it lost some brake fluid.
    It's a Giant, and has mech brake levers that switch over to hydraulic at the stem.

Also found that tubeless tires need a special pump to seat them when fitting. Another pain in the ass, but lesson learnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I know it's not friday but here goes..

1. Do you Maintain your own Bike(s)?

2. What repairs would you leave into your LBS?

3. What repairs/Maintenance would you be prepared to Pay someone else to do for you.

1. Yes

2. Never done it so far

Have stripped and refitted numerous hubs, headsets and bottom brackets. Have replaced cups on older hubs. Trued wheels. Haven’t built a wheel yet but plan to give it a go someday.

3. Frame repair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of a silly question, but what is the best way to clean your bike? Power-wash? PH neutral soap? Oil for the chain etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use degreaser (well, the cheapo bike wash stuff from dealz, am near the end of my supply), a sponge/old toothbrush, and a normal hose, for most of the bike.
    nailbrushes, etc. for the chain.

Advertisement