Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Maintenance?

Options
  • 20-03-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭

I know it's not friday but here goes..

1. Do you Maintain your own Bike(s)?

2. What repairs would you leave into your LBS?

3. What repairs/Maintenance would you be prepared to Pay someone else to do for you.

Just asking for a friend! :D

My Answers:

1. Yes
    2. Any repairs that i don't have the appropriate tools ( only job so far was truing a Mavic Wheel as i didnt have the appropriate spoke key)
    3. none

Do you Maintain your own Bike 89 votes

Yes i do ALL repairs
    84% 75 votes
    I can do the Basics only
    5% 5 votes
    No
    10% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The last hesitation for me was the bottom bracket, but now I have the tools for that and have replaced/upgraded 3.

I haven't tackled wheel building myself yet, truing is satisfying though. My dad had built a few (standard cross).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I suppose it depends on what you mean by the basics. I feel I'm between 1. and 2. I'll do most things but I'd be hesitant about doing a headset or anything with bearings as I've made a balls of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I picked I can do the basics, but it kind of depends on what "the basics" means.

I can change a derailleur, bleed brakes, replace chain, replace cables and ofc fix a puncture.

I can't (at least have never managed to) interfere with anything that involves bearings, true a wheel, or remove seized pedals.

And sometimes I have phoned my wife to pick me up rather than replace a tube at the side of the road, though in my defence only when I was close to home.

Don't see any reason why i would ask someone other than LBS to perform repairs, for convenience just as much as for loyalty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

By Basics I mean roadside repairs.. e.g. replace a tube / fix a puncture, maybe replace tyres and Brake pads. The reason i'm asking is bike are getting more difficult to maintain at home what with Hydraulic disc brakes, internal cables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Do 90% myself... I recently bought a Specalized Allez (2103) stripped it down and rebuilt it myself. The only thing I didn't do is index the gears (I can never get it spot on) and fit chain.

Would never go lbs or pay someone as my brother is a bike mechanic so he done other jobs!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't bled hydraulic brakes, nor changed a BB, nor tried wheelbuilding of any sort (except to tighten loose spokes)
    headsets, have cleaned and regreased them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1. Yes

2. Probably wheel truing, or ask for a second set of eyes if something has me flummoxed. I can true wheels but was never good at it, as in I can straighten it to get me home but I know it will never be right

3. Pretty mush the wheel truing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I do a lot of my own and have stripped and rebuilt a couple of my bikes.
    I don’t have the tools to do a headset so actually took one in yesterday to get done, as the free hub was also banjaxed and I’d prefer it done right.
    The headset had been on the bike since new so was long overdue (2010 model bought in 2011) and probably had half its value in grease pumped into it over the last few years. If I knew which one to get and got the tool, I’d have a go but as the freehub was out of my comfort zone, I took it to my LBS to do it all.
    I’ve replaced external BBs, but the good bike is BB30 so I’d have to look up what I needed to do it myself, but would have a go before taking it to a shop
    I’ve never tried messing with wheels but it looks a dark art to me - another shop job

To be fair, I think truing wheels is not as easy as it used to be as a lot of modern wheels have blade shaped spokes, which twist very easily. Also if the spoke nipples are seized, the spoke will break.

It’s not something I would do either. Not unless you already have a few spare spokes lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Replacing headsets and servicing wheels with internal hub gears are about all the repairs/maintenance I'd leave to a bike shop, I think. Mainly because I don't really have much of a gap in using the bikes, as they're my main way of getting around and shopping and so on, so I just fix them at night when the kids have gone to bed so they're ready the next day. Also, I had quite a few years on a very meagre income, so I just got used to having to fix them myself. I was terrible at the start.

I haven't actually got my IHG wheels serviced yet. Better do that this summer.

(I do true wheels, leaving them in the frame and using the brake pads to judge how out of true they are, but the end result is only ok at best, as you might guess. Good enough for me though.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The one thing I'd need a pro for is proper wheel alignment/balancing jobs. No hope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm both busy and lazy so would happily leave my bike in much more often if (a) places seemed to want the business and (b) prices were reasonable and transparent.

The last time I wanted something done was when I just couldn't get a triple front derailleur indexed after a day of trying. I went to the shop and he was more worried that I had bought the bike online (I did - but on DoneDeal) than he was about fixing it.

I have also built a lot of tools based on youtube videos. The last official tool I bought was a BB removal tool. The reason I bought it was that it was reduced to 25% RRP and included two bits that work perfectly for a BB installation tool. The BB installation tool costs alot but with these two parts I was able to make the rest of the BB installation tool for 4euro with bolts and a threaded rod.

Last point, the poll options are too limited

CramCycle wrote: »
    Last point, the poll options are too limited

What options do you suggest?

- I can do, and do do, almost everything bar one or two things
    - I can do almost everything but I am a lazy f***h*le

CramCycle wrote: »
    - I can do, and do do, almost everything bar one or two things
    - I can do almost everything but I am a lazy f***h*le

Maybe a better option would be to list the more common repairs?

e.g

1. I can do the basics ( replace a tube/repair a puncture)
    2. Basics + intermediate (replace cables, brake pads, index gears, replace the chain)
    3. Basics + intermediate + advanced ( replace BB's, Wheel building, Hydraulic brake and MTB suspension repairs)
    4. Master Mechanic (Have my own tool box and everything :) )

As a Mod can you edit the Poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

[*] I can't be arsed doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Wheel and suspension stuff 100% goes to the bike shop. Wheel truing is a black art - I gave up even trying years ago. I'd probably do wheel bearings but depends on how easy it is to get them out as I have to bodge it at the moment - no specific tools.

I'll give frame bearings a go once a bike is older, but never on a newish bike that I still like as again - I have to bodge it because I'm too cheap to buy the right tools.

Hydraulic brakes used to seem to me like a bit of black art too but Shimano's are pretty easy to do with help from youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

I picked 'I do ALL repairs', but what I suppose I really mean is I've done all my repairs so far.

I'm relatively new to cycling for pleasure, as opposed to just having a generic bike shaped object to get around on.

I work my own car, so figure working on a push bike can't be too difficult, and I would envision doing most, if not all, work in the future (trueing wheels seems to be something that makes people nervous).

Not having a tool is simply an excuse to buy a new tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

cletus wrote: »
    Not having a tool is simply an excuse to buy a new tool

Yea I come from the school of fixing your own cars too, I've a huge assortment of tools which cost a good bit over the years but I can't think of one time buying the tool & doing it myself cost me more money than getting it done in a garage. That's how I came to terms with the purchases. Cost me a lot of knuckle skin & blood though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

All my own repairs, including wheelbuilding and making necessary tools 'cos I'm too cheap to buy them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd feel I'd have a decent stab at a lot of it. Bottom Braket probably where I wouldn't have confidence Between work, family, and time on the bike, I don't have time so I'd rather pay the LBS!

I've a couple of older bikes that I plan to work on, including an old steel 5 speed, but tools, time and parts really my enemy at the moment (and for years at this stage!) rather than not feeling I'd be able albeit very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I do all my bike maintenance but Road bikes only. My only limitation is wheel truing which I leave to my LBS. I wanted once to re-grease the axle on a pair of pedals I loved but no one sold the required tools so I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

As regards bleeding hydraullic brakes I'm kind of surprised how many are calling that out as something they won't DIY.

I bought this kit:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bleed-kit-premium-edition-bleed-kit-set/rp-prod169708?gs=1&sku=sku638837&pgrid=55940684381&ptaid=pla-464975519467&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sliwUjTdZ_dc|pcrid|294740729969|pkw||pmt||prd|638837IE&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexJjuBCFLbaWeh7yMBLQjFsiwZCV620sAgbBNGi0htCRsh5z5Cmh_BRoCmyMQAvD_BwE

That plus youtube - it is easier to bleed the brake cables than replace a "cable" cable imo. You screw one of those syringes into the shifter/reservoir, fill the other one with the tube attached and press the tube onto the bleed inlet nozzle, open a valve and then press the fluid through the system to flush into the syringe at the top. then you can draw the plunger into the one on top so the fluid doesn't spill when you unscrew it. Was helpful to have a bikestand to angle the bike so the upper hydraullic was at the top and the lower nozzle at the very bottom. I couldn't fit the brake block between the brake pads but i just wrapped a chisel in paper and pushed it in.

Hardest part was just pressing the plastic tube onto the derailleur nozzle. This requires less manual dexterity than getting a tyre back on after replacing a tube tbh, though obviously arises far less often so is less familiar.

Having done it once next time will be fine too, and the tools are safely tucked away in a tool drawer along with a good deal more fluid. We have 5 bikes with hydraullic brakes in the house, 2 for me and 3 between the kids. 3 cable brakes for the youngest child and 2 old bikes that are not really used any longer. I guess it is something that is worth figuring out, it is not hard.

I am by no means an expert or even above average mechanic.

Kit + youtube + chancing my arm = success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyone have a good resource for learning about maintenance? At the moment, I can change a tyre/puncture and lube a chain - that's about it.

I tend to go out for solo rides (100km+, slow as I'm as bad at cycling as I am at bicycle maintenance) and it's slightly concerning that should anything other than a puncture happen I'd be bollocksed.

I carry a multitool and I've told myself that youtube will save me but would be more at peace if I knew a bit more about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

everything except trueing wheels cant get my head round that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jive wrote: »
    Anyone have a good resource for learning about maintenance?
    my first source would be, when i have a particular task in mind, searching for a park tools guide on how to do it on youtube.

but there are a couple of organisations doing sporadic courses on bike maintenance; there's on in ballymun for example.

The park tool ones are typically the best as they often go through multiple options, you then can search youtube for people who have make park tools out of random home and garage stuff to save money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

everything except trueing wheels cant get my head round that

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php. Read it, build the stand from the included plans and get trueing...

Advertisement