Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milan San-Remo

Options
  • 19-03-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

So the first of the 2019 monuments is this Saturday, 23rd. It will be closely contested as usual with plenty of guys building up to it over recent weeks. Local interest will be on Sam Bennett and it will be intriguing to see how Bora work things out between himself and Sagan. Logic says that what Sagan wants, Sagan gets, so perhaps Sams role will be as a lead-out if he is there in the finale, but it could get, eh, interesting, if Sam is in a position to win it. I think his team player role will come to the fore, and despite being contract a year, he'll do what is asked of him, we'll see on Saturday.

Alaphillipe and Viviani is another interesting intra-team tussle; was it really planned for Alaphillipe to win that sprint in TA on Monday? Not so sure...He tasted the MSR podium in 2017 so he certainly has it in him.

Looks like Cavendish wont start, but Groenewegen will and so too will both Landa and Valverde, so there will be lots to watch out for......IF (big IF) they can last the pace on the years longest race - it will be a 7hrs+ day in the saddle. Coverage on Eurosport begins around 12:30.

Nibali's win last year was very sweet and shows that the sprinters occasionally let this race go away from them. The course is very traditional again this year, with the final 50km seeing the three Capo's followed by the Cipressa and Poggio and then the sprint onto Via Roma in San Remo.

Lots of stuff to browse on sites such as the Official Race Site, Cyclingfans and cyclingnews

As a teaser to the race, those interested (despite it mostly being in Belgian) might want to catch a VRT.NU broadcast "The dressing room" featuring some old dudes talking about the 80's, including some guy from Kerry and another one from Canada.....https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/a-z/de-kleedkamer/4/de-kleedkamer-s4a1-milaan-sanremo-1985/

The Kelly part of it is available separately at https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/a-z/de-kleedkamer-portretten/4/de-kleedkamer-portretten-extra-interview-met-sean-kelly/

and there's lots of other cycling content, including the Matt Rendall Pantani documentary from the same broadcaster at https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/categorieen/sport/

all above are free to view

2017_milan_san_remo_peloton_scenic_coast2a.jpg

I fookin love this race !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Europsport showing 2018 race just now, cracking win from Nibali.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Alaphillipe (or the whole DQS squad the way they are riding) or any Astana rider(or the whole Astana squad they way they are riding) with Bennet to get a podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

dahat wrote: »
    Europsport showing 2018 race just now, cracking win from Nibali.

What an amazing finish that was............Nibalissimo says Rob Hatch. What an effort after 7:18, eh?

475873.jpg

That was off the back of a quality win at lombardia at the end of the previous season. Two very memorable victories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

"Deze video kan je enkel bekijken als je in Belgioont.

Meer info vind je op onze helppagina."

Which Google translate reliably informs me means:

"You can only watch this video if you live in Belgium.

You can find more info on our help page."

?? Dunno what is going on with that..... I watched them all yesterday. You do need to 'login with Google' or whatever, but once completed, I could watch them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d place a decent wager on Sam finishing top 3. He’s in unreal form. If it comes to a sprint from a big group he has a much better chance than Sagan right now.

Any idea what the weather will be? It’s always better when it’s pissing down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Brian? wrote: »
    I’d place a decent wager on Sam finishing top 3. He’s in unreal form. If it comes to a sprint from a big group he has a much better chance than Sagan right now.

Any idea what the weather will be? It’s always better when it’s pissing down.

Julian, Alan and Philip are favourites to be 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
    You should get a get price on Sam

• Advertisement

Saturday will be a dry. sunny day in Liguria

475982.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I got a tenner on Sam at 25/1 to win it.
    He's 10/1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He would definitely win it if he makes it to San Marino as everyone else will be going to San Remo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I got a tenner on Sam at 25/1 to win it.
    He's 10/1 now

9/1 now on Paddy Power.
    I think team orders could play a big part in the race.
    Sam may well be delegated to domestiques duties if Sagan (5/1) is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had completely forgotten that Nibali won it last year!

According to this piece Sagan dropped 4kg recently. I know it was mentioned he couldn't train for 5 days recently due to illness.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/10-riders-to-watch-at-the-2019-milan-san-remo/

Nico is also riding in support of Matthews who hasn't had great luck so far this year with crashes and illness.

Oh just noticed Connor Dunne is also riding this, long day in the break for him maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭griffin100

The man from Carrick wins ;)

One of my favourite cycling clips ever.

Lets hope another Carrick man does it tomorrow.

EDIT: Commentator mentioning 52/44 made my legs hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Coverage has just started on Eurosport 2/ player.
    100km to go so expecting a finish close to 4pm.

Nothing much to report so far, small breakaway containing most of the wildcard teams 5minutes up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've started watching this now but I know the first 60-90mins of coverage will be uneventful.

Had to cover my little girls eyes there when the camera cut to the jumbo visma rider with his lad in his hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Savage descending there 80 km an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

What number is Bennett does anyone know?

coco0981 wrote: »
    What number is Bennett does anyone know?

Where is Sam. Sagan's up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Alaphilippe, best all round rider in the world at the moment?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Julian, Alan and Philip are favourites to be 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
    You should get a get price on Sam

Told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Alaphilippe handy in the end!

• Advertisement

Fu***ng valverde up there aswell

Advertisement