Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to cycle past a horse

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

sin_26 wrote: »
    Do some people know what is the difference between causally spinning to bar for coffee and muffin and a RACE?

There's not a single racing bunch I've been in where you wouldn't notice a horse up in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

nee wrote: »
    Horse were on the road before a every other form of transport (bar walking). They have as much right to be there as anyone or anything else. Sure why are cyclists allowed in the road? Why are people allowed to walk on the road? Why are children allowed to walk on the road? They're all more vulnerable than motor traffic. :rolleyes:

And your point is? They have as much right to be on the road as any one or anything else. They were there before motorised traffic hit the road. It's also an important part of their education to do roadwork, and is often part of varying routine, and also part of strengthening up legs when bringing in horses at the start of a season.

So there's no helicopter??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do some people know what is the difference between causally spinning to bar for coffee and muffin and a RACE?
    There's no difference if the road isn't closed off and properly marshalled. If anything there should be an obligation for increased awareness as you're doing something out of the norm on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Race or not, it was a triathlon run on open roads. If participants can't carry on with a bit of cop on on open roads (which was probably made abundantly clear) that's a quick way of getting all such events sh*tcanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

There's not a single racing bunch I've been in where you wouldn't notice a horse up in front of you.

And how many horses you did noticed then...? How often you did face horse once you race? Sorry but me once in the bunch had other things to keep an eye on than horse on the front xD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno much about racing but unless the road is closed to all traffic then there's no excuse really

And how many horses you did noticed then...? How often you did face horse once you race? Sorry but me once in the bunch had other things to keep an eye on than horse on the front xD.

Why do you keep missing the point that this was a no draft triathlon, so group riding should not have been a consideration???

cython wrote: »
    Race or not, it was a triathlon run on open roads. If participants can't carry on with a bit of cop on on open roads (which was probably made abundantly clear) that's a quick way of getting all such events sh*tcanned.

Once time has been counted it was race and this opens different doors in the real athletes heads. Event has been wrongly done as if they measure time they should close the road or let them spin casually otherwise.

ORGANISERS FAULT sorry...

Why do you keep missing the point that this was a no draft triathlon, so group riding should not have been a consideration???

Why do you miss the point that one cyclist actually smashes horse trying to overtake from left. You doing it on purpose or in the emergency situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

It is always, ALWAYS necessary 100% of the time when encountering a horse(s) on the road to slow down to an almost stop, make yourself known to the rider(s) and only proceed when they're happy for you to do so.
    No. That's being ridiculous. All road users should be given sufficient space on the road, and a lot of the overtaking manoeuvres in that video were quite poor, one or two being dangerous and inexcusable. But what you have outlined above as a required practice is completely nuts. If you're so adamant that that is what's required when overtaking a horse, then it's an excellent argument for horses not being allowed on the road frankly. When overtaking a horse, you slow down and give plenty of space both going past and pulling back in. It's not rocket science. And it's certainly not necessary to behave as you've described above.

• Advertisement

So there's no helicopter??

They're only for Monday's to Thursday's. :D

I have never been in a race and came upon a horse on the road in fairness. But I have never been in a bunch and not noticed traffic coming up the other side, or as per my example mentioned in a previous post, even spotted a car 150m before the line in a bunch sprint. I miraculously maintain the ability to look up and the retain the ability to see when I race :P
    These people were triathletes and weren't even in a bunch, which is simply incomprehensible to me. Fcuking triathletes. They're not even real cyclists* :pac:

*jk

This heat should be taken to the triathlete forum :pac:

Why do you miss the point that one cyclist actually smashes horse trying to overtake from left. You doing it on purpose or in the emergency situation?

I'm not missing that, but you're the one espousing irrelevant "wisdom" about group riding in an event which bans it. Or maybe it's the organisers' fault too for inadequate policing of that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why is the horse on the road anyway?

The bus was full and the chickens were taking up the footpad on the other side.

Odd question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As stupid as the cyclists were I can't understand why horses are allowed on public roads. If an animal get's scared of loud and sudden noises then the road is not a place for them.
    why are cars allowed on roads? they kill hundreds of people every year. the road is not a place for them, they should be limited to private property.

No. That's being ridiculous. All road users should be given sufficient space on the road, and a lot of the overtaking manoeuvres in that video were quite poor, one or two being dangerous and inexcusable. But what you have outlined above as a required practice is completely nuts. If you're so adamant that that is what's required when overtaking a horse, then it's an excellent argument for horses not being allowed on the road frankly. When overtaking a horse, you slow down and give plenty of space both going past and pulling back in. It's not rocket science. And it's certainly not necessary to behave as you've described above.

Every single overtake in that video was dangerous. It is obvious to me that you have little to no experience of horses, less of them on the road. You have been lucky with that attitude to have only encountered experienced and steady animals on the road, or just kept going and missed the cartwheels happening behind.

Horses have every right to be on the road. They were there before all forms of motorised transport. They just requite a little consideration. I can't think of a single situation where slowing down and making myself known to riders up in front of me is too much effort, difficult or impossible to do. Not a single one.
    You would do well to spend a little time around large animals, maybe even have a go for a ride yourself to help with your understanding.

Once time has been counted it was race and this opens different doors in the real athletes heads. Event has been wrongly done as if they measure time they should close the road or let them spin casually otherwise.

ORGANISERS FAULT sorry...

So given the amount of cycle races, triathlons, duathlons and adventure races where road closures are either unattainable, or will bump entry fees into the high hundreds of euro, you're happy to basically kill off events involving competitive cycling except at perhaps the elite levels? How forward thinking of you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Triathlon?

I think we found the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I am new to cycling and have mostly gone out with experienced people. Now there is zero training offered for a person that I know of that allows people to do some sort of training so they can cycle either to commute or recreationally on the road. I did contact the RSA about this as they have huge funding. I think most people want to do the right thing as no puts their lives in danger also. I am shocked that no one ever links to the cyclist training videos series. Is there any? Sorry if I am wrong but education is needed for both sides and I know very little on the correct things to do on a bike other than what I know from driving. People should not be just be learning the hard way.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Triathlon?

I think we found the problem

Absolutely, that was my first contribution to the thread! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So given the amount of cycle races, triathlons, duathlons and adventure races where road closures are either unattainable, or will bump entry fees into the high hundreds of euro, you're happy to basically kill off events involving competitive cycling except at perhaps the elite levels? How forward thinking of you!

This event charges £100 per entry. I would hazard a guess that the race organiser just wanted to make money so cut back on marshalling/signage/road closures.
    I would lay quite a portion of the blame to organisers. Not to try excuse the behaviour of the two who undertook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why is it nuts, and how is it an excellent argument for not allowing horses on the road? Thus far, the argument has been "they shouldn't be allowed because they inconvenience me" which I would have thought cyclists would have a little bit more understanding of. In much the same way cyclists should be overtaken wide in case of a wobble, a rider may need to be asked if their horse is safe to overtake. The horse has the right of way here. In doesn't take very long to be safe and often it's a case where the horse is fine. It's the one that's not that makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

rom wrote: »
    I am new to cycling and have mostly gone out with experienced people. Now there is zero training offered for a person that I know of that allows people to do some sort of training so they can cycle either to commute or recreationally on the road. I did contact the RSA about this as they have huge funding. I think most people want to do the right thing as no puts their lives in danger also. I am shocked that no one ever links to the cyclist training videos series. Is there any? Sorry if I am wrong but education is needed for both sides and I know very little on the correct things to do on a bike other than what I know from driving. People should not be just be learning the hard way.

But you drive and therefore presumably read the ROTR, which has sections on animals for as long as I remember. Plus common sense plays a massive part. People shouldn't need to be spoon-fed cop on.

This event charges £100 per entry. I would hazard a guess that the race organiser just wanted to make money so cut back on marshalling/signage/road closures.

That may well be the case here, I admittedly only checked the legality of drafting and not the entry fee, but I still feel the point RE the likes of open racing, club leagues, etc. in general still stands.

Hurrache wrote: »
    But you drive and therefore presumably read the ROTR, which has sections on animals for as long as I remember. Plus common sense plays a massive part. People shouldn't need to be spoon-fed cop on.

I think there should definitely have the resources out there for education though, even if they're optional. Just about every road user (including horse riders) have it. Even pedestrians have the "stop, look, listen, live" thing.

Why is it nuts, and how is it an excellent argument for not allowing horses on the road? Thus far, the argument has been "they shouldn't be allowed because they inconvenience me" which I would have thought cyclists would have a little bit more understanding of. In much the same way cyclists should be overtaken wide in case of a wobble, a rider may need to be asked if their horse is safe to overtake. The horse has the right of way here. In doesn't take very long to be safe and often it's a case where the horse is fine. It's the one that's not that makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

Just to say not all cyclists are advocating this, in fact just the poster in your post. You will find the majority of the cyclists posting in this thread do not follow that way of thinking.

It's important not to tar everyone with the same brush. Cyclists aren't one conglomerate bunch, we're all individuals who happen to cycle, in the same way one motorist doesn't represent all motorists, and even one triathlete represents all triathletes.

I would lay quite a portion of the blame to organisers. Not to try excuse the behaviour of the two who undertook.

Why? We've all been in events on open roads and know not to be dicks, that goes without saying. What is usually said though is that road traffic laws apply and you must adhere to them. Only people to blame are those on the bikes, I find it bizarre that people are trying to put some on the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Every single overtake in that video was dangerous.
    Nonsense. Most of them were fine, as is evidenced by the video.
    Horses have every right to be on the road. They were there before all forms of motorised transport. They just requite a little consideration. I can't think of a single situation where slowing down and making myself known to riders up in front of me is too much effort, difficult or impossible to do. Not a single one.
    You would do well to spend a little time around large animals, maybe even have a go for a ride yourself to help with your understanding.
    Of course horses have every right to be on the road. Though as mentioned, you're making a hell of an argument for horses not being allowed on the road.

Just to say not all cyclists are advocating this, in fact just the poster in your post. You will find the majority of the cyclists posting in this thread do not follow that way of thinking.

It's important not to tar everyone with the same brush. Cyclists aren't one conglomerate bunch, we're all individuals who happen to cycle, in the same way one motorist doesn't represent all motorists, and even one triathlete represents all triathletes.

Absolutely, but it's still hypocritical for any cyclist to want to ban another road user because they are inconvenient.

Though as mentioned, you're making a hell of an argument for horses not being allowed on the road.

Doesn't at all. And if you think all those passes were fine you have a problem.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Most of them were fine, as is evidenced by the video.

None of them were fine. Every single one of them cyclists were putting themselves in a very dangerous situation. It just so happened that this horse was sensible.

Advertisement